Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Old 12-23-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (2017, MacLaren) S: Gadot

Most everyone thought that list of announced DC release dates was based in fiction. It was a press release intended to gain attention, the publicity and marketing teams know most moviegoers don't care. Marvel's far more coherent release strategy forced Warner to pretend they are keeping up. Their plans are still very fluid after Batman and Superman.
Old 12-23-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Seriously, how fucking hard is it to make a Wonder Woman movie? How much more evidence does DC/Warner's need that audiences have zero problems with female leads (Hunger Games being the prime example) and she's one of the most well-known in history.

Yet they can't even pull the trigger and DO something. It is amazing. Just amazing.
Old 12-23-14, 01:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-23-14, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everytime I see that I see pit stains knowing it's a shadedgshadowed element
Old 12-23-14, 09:26 AM
Suspended

They are just waiting to see peoples reactions of the character after the Cameofest 2016. They know people are upset after they picked up a stick from the woods to play WW. If they like it, the movies a go, if not, you won't hear a damn thing about it anymore.
Old 12-23-14, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Everytime I see that I see pit stains knowing it's a shadedgshadowed element
Old 12-23-14, 10:22 AM
Banned

Thor.
Old 12-23-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Makes me wonder how Joss Whedon's version would have been like if DC didn't ax it.
Old 12-23-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Warner is careful with Wonder Woman because she makes a lot of money for them in merchandising and licensing. There are a lot of girls that buy Wonder Woman merchandise that have never read a single comic book.
Old 12-23-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Warner is careful with Wonder Woman because she makes a lot of money for them in merchandising and licensing. There are a lot of girls that buy Wonder Woman merchandise that have never read a single comic book.
LIES! No one knows who Wonder Woman is anymore and she has zero marketability!

Old 02-21-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Wonder Woman set to begin filming in the fall.

She plays Wonder Woman in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice and then films Wonder Woman in the fall.
http://deadline.com/2015/02/gal-gado...es-1201378159/
Old 02-21-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Just in case no one's mentioned it, there's a new book about Wonder Woman out now, The Secret History of Wonder Woman, by Jill Lepore. It's been getting good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-His.../dp/0385354045

Old 02-21-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Just in case no one's mentioned it, there's a new book about Wonder Woman out now, The Secret History of Wonder Woman, by Jill Lepore. It's been getting good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-His.../dp/0385354045

Yup, great book, currently reading it. It is mostly a bio of Marston. The creation of WW is the last 3rd of the book.
Old 02-21-15, 04:30 PM
Banned

I actually bought it a few weeks ago. It's good. I like it a lot. I kind of want to do some follow up research on its accuracy but it's good.
Old 04-13-15, 06:54 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

'Wonder Woman' Movie Loses Director Michelle MacLaren :
Michelle MacLaren has dropped out of directing Wonder Woman due to creative differences.

“Given creative differences, Warner Bros. and Michelle MacLaren have decided not to move forward with plans to develop and direct Wonder Woman together,” said the studio in a statement.

Is it unclear if it will affect the release schedule. The movie has a 2017 berth slotted. Gal Gadot remains attached to star.

This is the second time a woman director has left a high-profile female-oriented superhero project. Patti Jenkins was to have been the first female director on a Marvel movie with Thor 2 but left due to creative differences as well.

More to come.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20150413
Old 04-13-15, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (2017) S: Gadot

This sentence does not compute.

This is the second time a woman director has left a high-profile female-oriented superhero project. Patti Jenkins was to have been the first female director on a Marvel movie with Thor 2 but left due to creative differences as well.
There are female characters in Thor: The Dark World but nothing to call the movie female-oriented. The men were still the stars of that particular property.
Old 04-13-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

They should give the rights back to Marvel.
Old 04-13-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

'Wonder Woman' Movie Loses Director Michelle MacLaren :
Michelle MacLaren has dropped out of directing Wonder Woman due to creative differences.

“Given creative differences, Warner Bros. and Michelle MacLaren have decided not to move forward with plans to develop and direct Wonder Woman together,” said the studio in a statement.

Is it unclear if it will affect the release schedule. The movie has a 2017 berth slotted. Gal Gadot remains attached to star.

More to come.
Stop and think about this for a second.
Creative differences with the suits whose creative thinking in the past has amounted to
"TDK made a billion dollars, therefore all our other characters need to be presented dark and overly serious."
Further, she signed on with the project with a general story in place (WWI setting). Because of that I doubt her problems were story/conception related. I wouldn't be surprised if she bailed because she has seen more and more of Gadots work on the character and has made the determination that the actress the studio is hedging its bets on is not up to the task of headlining her own film.
Supposition on my part obviously, but I will be stunned if Gadot is actually up to the requirements of the role (authoritarian, commanding, sexy, a capable fighter, etc).
In the Furious films she a complete non entity with no charisma whatsoever. She can fade into the background in a group film but not in her own.

And I will readily admit, DoFP shocked the hell out of me as it looked like a complete trainwreck too.
I hope I'm wrong about Gadot...but none of the decisions of the Warner suits in regards to these projects post TDK have inspired much confidence in me.
Old 04-13-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Trainwreck of Edgar Wright proportions!
Old 04-13-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,676 Likes on 1,846 Posts

For every sort of interesting thing they're doing with these movies, it seems there's one big red flag.

Christ on a badger, they put out the first DCCU movie two years ago and they still don't seem to have a firm plan in place for what they want to do. It's like they have four or five 'big pictures' of what they want to accomplish that aren't necessarily compatible with each other.

And, meanwhile, Marvel is readying their twelfth release, Ant-Man.

Fucking Ant-Man.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-13-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Stop and think about this for a second.
Creative differences with the suits whose creative thinking in the past has amounted to
"TDK made a billion dollars, therefore all our other characters need to be presented dark and overly serious."
Further, she signed on with the project with a general story in place (WWI setting). Because of that I doubt her problems were story/conception related. I wouldn't be surprised if she bailed because she has seen more and more of Gadots work on the character and has made the determination that the actress the studio is hedging its bets on is not up to the task of headlining her own film.
Supposition on my part obviously, but I will be stunned if Gadot is actually up to the requirements of the role (authoritarian, commanding, sexy, a capable fighter, etc).
In the Furious films she a complete non entity with no charisma whatsoever. She can fade into the background in a group film but not in her own.

And I will readily admit, DoFP shocked the hell out of me as it looked like a complete trainwreck too.
I hope I'm wrong about Gadot...but none of the decisions of the Warner suits in regards to these projects post TDK have inspired much confidence in me.
I'm betting WB was driving her crazy, watching everything to try and force the connections to the other movies in production. Everything about these films seems rushed, miscast, and without a singular direction.
Old 04-13-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Speaking of a lack of singular direction, why the fuck can't anyone on WB/DC agree to unite all their super hero properties? Marvel has a few holdouts (X-Men and Fantastic Four) due to rights issues and they still have a solidly established multimedia presence (uniting both their TV shows and movies under one continuity) whereas WB holds the rights to all their characters and yet they insist on keeping everything separate, while at the same time fucking up the plans of already existing shows by making demands as to what characters can/cannot appear. And don't give me that, don't want to confuse the audience bullshit. If Nick Fury, Lady Sif, and the Howling Commandoes can appear on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, while at the same time the Avengers and Spider-Man have their own non-MCU canon animated series (and even guest starred on Phineas and Ferb), there's no reason DC can't do the same cross-platform approach, without any silly restrictions.

The suits at WB take incompetence to a whole new level.
Old 04-13-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MacLaren is one of the best TV directors I've ever encountered. On immensely high profile, high pressure shows no less. The DC suits have to collectively be the biggest bunch of dipshits walking the planet.
Old 04-14-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
MacLaren is one of the best TV directors I've ever encountered. On immensely high profile, high pressure shows no less. The DC suits have to collectively be the biggest bunch of dipshits walking the planet.

Warner Bros suits. DC's just along for the ride.
Old 04-14-15, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Wow, disappointing since Michelle McLaren was the only reason I was interested in this film. Her work on Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones was some of the best work on TV.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.