Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (4/27/18) D: The Russo Bros.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Avengers: Infinity War (4/27/18) D: The Russo Bros.

Old 10-28-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: The Avengers - Infinity War: Parts 1 & 2 - (5/4/18 & 5/3/19)

I assume they are going to shoot these back to back?

Is Whedon contracted to direct these or are they looking at possibly someone else?
Old 10-28-14, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9jsVpk94NA

Watch it while you can. The longer video this came from is already gone.
Old 10-28-14, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I assume they are going to shoot these back to back?

Is Whedon contracted to direct these or are they looking at possibly someone else?
Rumors around about the Russos taking over.
Old 10-28-14, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Anyone else think Marvel might be oversaturating the market with its movies?
I don't get comments like this. Two or three movies a year isn't that much. I watch that many movies in a typical week.

ALL the superhero movies from DC, Marvel, Sony, and Fox might get a bit much, but I don't really think it's any different than other any genre. How many comedies or action or dramas are released every year? The bad ones (Fantastic Four) will be ignored while the good ones (MCU) will be praised. Just like any other genre, i.e. bad comedies failing at the box office while good comedies do good.
Old 10-28-14, 06:48 PM
Banned

There arent a lot of good comedies making bank. Bad ones actually rule the box office.
But I get what you are saying.
Old 10-28-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

So Part 2 is roughly 7 months away from being released and now we're talking about it's 2 sequels that won't be released for another 4-5 years.

The announcements for all these new Marvel movies are cool, but IMO it's a little overwhelming to mention them all at once. Especially when some of them are a few years away from being cast, hiring a director and having writers hired. Very overwhelming, especially for the casual fan.
Old 10-28-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

with the quality they have been? nope. not in the least.
Old 10-28-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I think two a year is very manageable, but I guess we'll see what happens with three.

Disney is going to have to spread out it's releases though... a live action studio film (alice2, cinderella, etc) , 2-3 marvels, pixar and disney animation, star wars in Dec, etc.
Old 10-29-14, 08:00 AM

Re: The Avengers: Infinity War - Parts 1 & 2 - (5/4/18 & 5/3/19)

Regarding the Infinity War announcement video...

Is it now safe to assume Loki's spear is indeed the Mind Gem/Infinity Stone?
Old 10-29-14, 08:02 AM
Banned

It's a confirm now. It's a stone. They haven't said which one but... it's a stone. Most likely mind.
Old 10-29-14, 08:29 AM
Banned

So we have four stones revealed so far. The Tesseract, the Aether, Loki's staff, and the Stone from GOTG.

My prediction is that the fifth Stone will be in GOTG2, and the sixth will be in Thor 3. Ragnarok is the Norse version of the Apocalypse, so I believe the Ragnarok subtitle will refer to Thanos collecting all the Stones and also getting the Gauntlet out of Odin's Vault. (The Gauntlet was briefly seen in Odin's Vault in the first Thor movie.)
Old 10-29-14, 08:38 AM
Banned

Maybe Doc Strange will have one in his. Or even Black Panther. I dunno.

I dunno if Thanos will commit the ragnarok. That'd leave a big gap in narrative, no? What films pop up after Thor 3?
Old 10-29-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I don't get comments like this. Two or three movies a year isn't that much. I watch that many movies in a typical week.

ALL the superhero movies from DC, Marvel, Sony, and Fox might get a bit much, but I don't really think it's any different than other any genre. How many comedies or action or dramas are released every year? The bad ones (Fantastic Four) will be ignored while the good ones (MCU) will be praised. Just like any other genre, i.e. bad comedies failing at the box office while good comedies do good.
The difference of course being that these films are all part of the same franchise. Sure they focus on different characters, but they are all servicing a singular creative agenda. I realize the obvious flaw in this comparison, but it would kind of be like if they released 3 James Bond films every year. Eon productions exist solely to make James Bond movies and allows the various directors/writers they hire very little authorial control over the productions. They have a specific template they want followed and while I'm sure they're always aiming to maximize the quality of the films within that template, the system does not really tolerate "coloring outside the lines." Marvel Studios operates in the same fashion. Again, there is obviously more scope and variety to Marvel's world as compared to Bond but let's please not pretend that genre and franchise are interchangeable terms.
Old 10-29-14, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Maybe Doc Strange will have one in his. Or even Black Panther. I dunno.

I dunno if Thanos will commit the ragnarok. That'd leave a big gap in narrative, no? What films pop up after Thor 3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_...Universe#Films

In order of release:

Cap 3
Dr Strange
GOTG 2
Thor 3
Black Panther
Avengers 3 Part 1
Captain Marvel
Inhumans
Avengers 3 Part 2

There could be a Stone in the Dr Strange movie, but I seriously doubt there will be one in Black Panther.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The difference of course being that these films are all part of the same franchise. Sure they focus on different characters, but they are all servicing a singular creative agenda. I realize the obvious flaw in this comparison, but it would kind of be like if they released 3 James Bond films every year. Eon productions exist solely to make James Bond movies and allows the various directors/writers they hire very little authorial control over the productions. They have a specific template they want followed and while I'm sure they're always aiming to maximize the quality of the films within that template, the system does not really tolerate "coloring outside the lines." Marvel Studios operates in the same fashion. Again, there is obviously more scope and variety to Marvel's world as compared to Bond but let's please not pretend that genre and franchise are interchangeable terms.
But still two or three MCU movies is a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of movies that are released every year. You can never have too much of a good thing. All these comic movies only become a problem if the quality starts dropping too low across the board, like if we enter another Schumacher Batman era of suckage. As long as they remain good, like Winter Soldier and GOTG, then yes please give me more! Complaints about oversaturation are silly. It's only bad if the movies themselves are bad.
Old 10-29-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Thought about it. Agents of Shield felt like a bit much, especially with it's unimpressive start.

In the end, no. As long as they keep letting filmmakers do a little bit of their own thing, I don't think they're going to have any problems. There's so many things to explore. Whedon, Branagh, and Gunn all got to use their own style, while conforming to the MCU rules.

In fact, I think the MCU is a perfect marriage of movies for the masses and directorial style and expression. With original screenplays, we see it here and there - maybe a couple times a year. The MCU seems to be an open palette for filmmakers to obtain a huge budget to put their own style out there.

And I'm just a movie guy. Never read a comic.
Old 10-29-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes.
Old 10-29-14, 09:07 AM
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_...Universe#Films

In order of release:

Cap 3
Dr Strange
GOTG 2
Thor 3
Black Panther
Avengers 3 Part 1
Captain Marvel
Inhumans
Avengers 3 Part 2

There could be a Stone in the Dr Strange movie, but I seriously doubt there will be one in Black Panther.

But still two or three MCU movies is a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of movies that are released every year. You can never have too much of a good thing. All these comic movies only become a problem if the quality starts dropping too low across the board, like if we enter another Schumacher Batman era of suckage. As long as they remain good, like Winter Soldier and GOTG, then yes please give me more! Complaints about oversaturation are silly. It's only bad if the movies themselves are bad.
Inhumans have had relations with the infinity gems too. Seems like anything can be possible. But where their film is in the timeline.... I don't think so either. *shrugs shoulders*
Old 10-29-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Eh, it's 9 movies over the next 5 years. That's what, 23 hours worth of entertainment? If it were eating up talent and resources from a studio that I cared about then yeah, I'd be irritated, but this is Disney. What was the last live-action Disney movie that was interesting without the Marvel logo? John Carter for a small few, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies maybe? Plus they have resources out the ass.

I think there will be obvious superhero fatigue in the next few years (I already hit mine before The Avengers even came out) and a lowering return on investment, but considering the way Marvel is doing their movies like issues of a comic book, I think they're going at the right pace.
Old 10-29-14, 09:20 AM
Banned

Want to talk about over-saturation? How about the dozens and dozens and dozens of crappy movies released every year? There are like 100 movies released every year, but only maybe 10 of them are actually worth watching. The MCU movies are definitely in the ones worth watching category. Shit like Adam Sandler "comedies" are among the other 90 movies that are over-saturating the market in the pure shit category.
Old 10-29-14, 09:22 AM
Banned

Yeah but then you've whole genres that give more bad than good. Just by principle. Horror for example needs to die for a while.
Old 10-29-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

want to talk about over-saturation? How about the dozens and dozens and dozens of crappy movies released every year? There are like 100 movies released every year, but only maybe 10 of them are actually worth watching. The mcu movies are definitely in the ones worth watching category. Shit like adam sandler "comedies" are among the other 90 movies that are over-saturating the market in the pure shit category.
100? There have been 578 so far this year. 687 last year, and that's just what released into theaters.

I like Adam Sandler comedies when they actually try to be funny, it's been about a decade since that's happened.
Old 10-29-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Lots of movies released every year, yes, but if the majority of summer action films start to revolve around comic book characters, it might get old. As of right now they're all kind of filling the same niche, they're all adventure movies with a similar tone, it'd be wise to mix things up a bit. Dr. Strange should be a horror movie. It looked like Ant-Man was striking out in a unique direction but that may have changed with Peyton Reed.
Old 10-29-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Hourlong TV dramas produce 22-24 hours of content a year.

I fail to see how 6 hours of Marvel is too much.
Old 10-29-14, 09:26 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=RichC2;12285320]100? There have been 578 so far this year. 687 last year, and that's just what released into theaters.QUOTE]

Just america, right? cuz I'm sure that doesn't include... Bollywood.
Old 10-29-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Lots of movies released every year, yes, but if the majority of summer action films start to revolve around comic book characters, it might get old. As of right now they're all kind of filling the same niche, they're all adventure movies with a similar tone, it'd be wise to mix things up a bit. Dr. Strange should be a horror movie. It looked like Ant-Man was striking out in a unique direction but that may have changed with Peyton Reed.
I think my point is this is all 1 studio, and it's a studio that doesn't put out a ton of live action movies to begin with. There are a ton of other studios that put out tentpole movies, they just happen to be really lousy as of late.

...and then I looked at the top 20, and you are correct.

2014's Top 20 Grossing movies:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy *Comic
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier *Comic
3. The LEGO Movie *Toy
4. Transformers 4 *Toy
5. Maleficent * Prequel
6. X-men: Days of Future Past *Comic
7. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes * Sequel
8. The Amazing Spider-man 2 *Comic
9. Godzilla * Reboot
10. 22 Jump Street * TV Series
11. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles *Comic
12. How to Train Your Dragon 2 * Sequel
13. Divergent *YA Novel
14. Neighbors
15. Ride Along
16. Rio 2 * Sequel
17. Lucy
18. Gone Girl * Novel
19. The Fault in Our Stars *YA Novel
20. Mr. Peabody and Sherman * TV Adaptation

Neighbors, Ride Along and Lucy are our original movies for 2014

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Just america, right? cuz I'm sure that doesn't include... Bollywood.
Haha yeah, that's just what has been released in US theaters.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-29-14 at 09:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.