Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (2019, D: Boden/Fleck) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Captain Marvel (2019, D: Boden/Fleck) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 10:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Captain Marvel (2019, D: Boden/Fleck) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson

I wonder if any of those reviewers, you know....WRITE anything.

Ha! "Don't forget to like, share, and subscribe!"
Old 02-21-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
None of those reviews are real until that Stuckman guy everyone gets a hardon for starts talking.
Old 02-22-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 875 Likes on 394 Posts

Goose the cat is Live right now (so far you're not missing much)

Old 03-01-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Looks like they got the character right. I hope it's fun . In terms of RT, I do agree that it's wrong to review bomb, but I also think that once you give someone the power to do something on your site it's wrong to revoke it in such a manner to make it look like you're favoring some product. I could care less about Brie Larson's political views, as long as the movie itself entertains. That said, I don't think they made the right decision to sign her for seven freaking movies.
Old 03-01-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That said, I don't think they made the right decision to sign her for seven freaking movies.
So general question on how those contracts work - does that mean they HAVE TO use her in 7 movies? or just that she is contractually obligated to appear in 7 movies, if Marvel wants her to? I mean, we know she's going to be in 2. Just wondering if it is two-sided, or one-sided in favor of the studio.
Old 03-01-19, 11:07 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
So general question on how those contracts work - does that mean they HAVE TO use her in 7 movies? or just that she is contractually obligated to appear in 7 movies, if Marvel wants her to? I mean, we know she's going to be in 2. Just wondering if it is two-sided, or one-sided in favor of the studio.
It's if they chose to use them. Hell, Liv Tyler (bad example) had a 3 movie contact. Hugo Weaving had multi-picture contract as well, but they recast for IW.

A 7 picture deal is pretty standard for a Marvel lead. It incorporates solo movies and other appearances. But shit... someone like Sebastian Stan signed 9 I think.

Last edited by dex14; 03-01-19 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-01-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

I’m going to see the movie no matter what, but Brie Larson brought the haters out on her own. We all know if the tables were turned and a white guy said what she said there would be no end to the amount of backlash, but since it’s a female it’s fine and she’s this brave hero. I’m tired of the trend of so many movies trying to make a social statement. A female or someone of another ethnicity is your lead? Great, but don’t try and tear down others to champion your stance of equality. White men predominantly make up the fanbase for the Marvel franchise, and I get wanting to expand on that but you shouldn’t have to at the cost of pissing off your existing fans.
Old 03-01-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

The cat has more charisma than Brie Larson.
Old 03-01-19, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m going to see the movie no matter what, but Brie Larson brought the haters out on her own. We all know if the tables were turned and a white guy said what she said there would be no end to the amount of backlash, but since it’s a female it’s fine and she’s this brave hero. I’m tired of the trend of so many movies trying to make a social statement. A female or someone of another ethnicity is your lead? Great, but don’t try and tear down others to champion your stance of equality. White men predominantly make up the fanbase for the Marvel franchise, and I get wanting to expand on that but you shouldn’t have to at the cost of pissing off your existing fans.
She didn't tear anyone down.
Old 03-01-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
She didn't tear anyone down.
Not literally no, I was more using an expression. She did essentially say though that she didn’t want the opinions of reviews from middle aged white men. That was before the Rotten Tomatoes stuff happened. She caused the backlash more by trying to make this movie a social statement.
Old 03-01-19, 11:34 AM

Not literally no, I was more using an expression. She did essentially say though that she didn’t want the opinions of reviews from middle aged white men. That was before the Rotten Tomatoes stuff happened. She caused the backlash more by trying to make this movie a social statement.

"She did essentially say". This is the problem. People apply their own interpretation into click bait headlines without context. "I don't need a 40 year old white dude to tell me what didn't work about A Wrinkle In Time. It wasn't made for him. I want to know what that film meant to women of color, to bi-racial women, to teen women of color" is what she said.

Additionally, she did something great and gave people who wouldn't normally have a chance for interviews and access to press junkets. "About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male," Larson responded. "So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of colour, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses."

No where does it state that white dudes aren't going to still interview. She clearly said she noticed that press for her films had not included a variety of different perspectives.

Last edited by dex14; 03-01-19 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 784 Likes on 378 Posts

"She did essentially say". This is the problem. People apply there own interpretation into click bait headlines without context. "I don't need a 40 year old white dude to tell me what didn't work about A Wrinkle In Time. It wasn't made for him. I want to know what that film meant to women of color, to bi-racial women, to teen women of color."

Additional, she did something great and gave people who wouldn't normally have a chance for interviews and access to press junkets. "About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male," Larson responded. "So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of colour, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses."

No where does it state that white dudes aren't going to still interview.
Yeah, I went looking for her comments based on this thread, because I honestly hadn't read them, and the site that I found it at summarized the above paragraph as "she stated she was looking to have fewer white men on her press tour." Which isn't what she was saying at all. It's ridiculous. It's about being more inclusive, not about excluding anybody. Why are fragile white dudes so triggered?
Old 03-01-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

I mean, this is a clip of what she said:
https://variety.com/video/brie-larso...wards-critics/

Near the end is what I guess you're referring to, when she says:
"I do not need a 40 year old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about a Wrinkle in Time. It wasn't made for him. I want to know what that film meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial." This is only after she gives the statistics of how 67% of the top critics are white males, and how only approximately 30% of the US population is white males.

So you can focus on the "I don't need" part, but she wants a better representation of the nation reviewing films, especially films made for a diverse audience. I don't see that as being a particular problem or something to get mad about. Who exactly did she "tear down?"

edited to add: darnit, I got sniped.
Old 03-01-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She made the comment: “I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male”. That’s from her and she’s claiming it was out of context and has been trying to backpedal on it. That’s what started everything.
Old 03-01-19, 11:46 AM

She made the commen: “I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male”. That’s from her and she’s claiming it was out of context and has been trying to backpedal on it. That’s what started everything.

And what is wrong with that statement? Look at the rest of the comment. Not just that part.

Taking what she said and creating headlines "Brie Larson doesn't want you reviewing her suphero movie, white males" and "Brie Larson is sick of being interviewed by white dudes" IS taking her words out of context.
Old 03-01-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And what is wrong with that statement?
You honestly think if the tables were turned, if it was a white guy saying that quote only interchanging white males with white females or any ethnic group it would blow over?
Old 03-01-19, 11:49 AM

She made the commen: “I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male”. That’s from her and she’s claiming it was out of context and has been trying to backpedal on it. That’s what started everything.
And, as a white dude, I still don't see anything wrong with that statement. The point is, which she elaborated on in the next sentence she spoke (not backpedaling later) is that female critics and critics of other races were not getting the same opportunities, and she wanted to make an effort to include those people.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 03-01-19 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 927 Posts

She made the comment: “I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male”. That’s from her and she’s claiming it was out of context and has been trying to backpedal on it. That’s what started everything.
She wanted to make her PR days more inclusive to people of color and female critics.

Old 03-01-19, 11:50 AM

You honestly think if the tables were turned, if it was a white guy saying that quote only interchanging white males with white females or any ethnic group it would blow over?
Nope. It sounds like you're just reading into the clickbait headlines and not the actual context of the articles. You would never be able to say “I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white female”. That is the point. Because there isn't an overwhelming amount of press of that demographic covering the junkets.
Old 03-01-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please just watch the clip.

If you have and are still outraged, I'm not sure what to say.
Old 03-01-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To clarify I don’t have a huge problem with what she said. What bothers me more about it is that making a comment like that sparks shit and then we get all this “controversy” over a movie. Apparently you can’t just make a film without it having a social statement now days.
Old 03-01-19, 11:52 AM

In what industry are only females or or minorities getting opportunities that white men deserve? If anyone did say the opposite, it would be a ridiculous statement.
Old 03-01-19, 11:53 AM

To clarify I don’t have a huge problem with what she said. What bothers me more about it is that making a comment like that sparks shit and then we get all this “controversy” over a movie. Apparently you can’t just make a film without it having a social statement now days.
That is not her fault. That is the shitty fucking climate of this overly sensitive social media mob mentality.
Old 03-01-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Who made this a controversy over her movie? Her? Or the people following clickbait? She wanted to include more minorities in her press junket, and she didn't bar all white men from it, she just wanted to be more inclusive. But she's being divisive?

She doesn't even say she wants white men reviewers to be a minority, just that she wants it to actively reflect society so that we can get different points of views, especially for films where the target audience is not white male. And she wasn't even talking about this movie, where a lot of the target audience is white male (although my daughter, who is neither white nor male, is super excited about it).
Old 03-01-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Who made this a controversy over her movie? Her? Or the people following clickbait? She wanted to include more minorities in her press junket, and she didn't bar all white men from it, she just wanted to be more inclusive. But she's being divisive?
And this ramped up the stupid nerds on Youtube who started "V-logging" about it. In some cases not even because they believed it but because it got them views on their shitty channel that normally would not be there. "Wahhhhhhh, white men are under attack! Please click LIKE and subscribe at the bottom."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.