Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Old 10-30-14, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Black Panther (7/6/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

I've no idea who I'd want for this.

I still wonder if this film will piss off some white people cuz of the title. Even though he himself is a bit older than the group call black panthers.
Old 10-30-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I've no idea who I'd want for this.

I still wonder if this film will piss off some white people cuz of the title. Even though he himself is a bit older than the group call black panthers.
Yeah, but I think your demo is not really going to have an issue with it.
Old 10-30-14, 11:59 AM
Banned

I want an hispanic hero. There have been some but none that are memorable really in the 616. Miles Morales was cool to see come up in the Ultimate Spider-Man issues. It is kind of neat that the most recent Nova is an hispanic kid. I remember as a kid I'd get happy seeing an hispanic superhero in the Marvel Universe. As any minority in the US or even anywhere, I guess, it does affect you in a way seeing how a certain population is depicted. Race and gender in the media is a very interesting topic.

I got Danny Trejo as Machete. Which I love but if we get to brass tacks. We do need more positive imagery for blacks and hispanics along with others.
Old 10-30-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts

I want an hispanic hero. There have been some but none that are memorable really in the 616. Miles Morales was cool to see come up in the Ultimate Spider-Man issues. It is kind of neat that the most recent Nova is an hispanic kid. I remember as a kid I'd get happy seeing an hispanic superhero in the Marvel Universe. As any minority in the US or even anywhere, I guess, it does affect you in a way seeing how a certain population is depicted. Race and gender in the media is a very interesting topic.

I got Danny Trejo as Machete. Which I love but if we get to brass tacks. We do need more positive imagery for blacks and hispanics along with others.
Exactly!

Race and gender in the media is a very interesting topic.
Not on DVDtalKKK.
Old 10-30-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Sunspot in DoFP wasn't enough for you?
Old 10-30-14, 01:58 PM
Banned

Never!

I'd be excited to see wtf the MCU would choose as an hispanic Hero. I remember as a kid seeing Firebird in an old issue from the Avenger comics from the 1980s. That was the first hispanic hero I had ever seen and it was cool. There have been some here and there but none really "big" profile. Like one that actually is a mainstay of sorts. Nova and Ultimate Spidey are them for now. Diversity is a big deal and Marvel is doing good for it so far.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-30-14 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

In Hollywood, there can only be one successful black actor at at time! We had Richard Pryor, then Eddie Murphy, then Will Smith, now Kevin Hart! Whoever gets the role in Black Panther will need to replace Hart. No more than one at a time. More than one is just too intimidating for white America!
Old 10-30-14, 02:09 PM
Banned

We already have an actor for Black Panther...
Old 10-30-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
In Hollywood, there can only be one successful black actor at at time! We had Richard Pryor, then Eddie Murphy, then Will Smith, now Kevin Hart! Whoever gets the role in Black Panther will need to replace Hart. No more than one at a time. More than one is just too intimidating for white America!

...TRUE
Old 10-30-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

The current Blue Beetle is Hispanic, Jaime Reyes.
Old 10-30-14, 02:43 PM
Banned

yeah. I'm just focusing on Marvel here. I think DC has had more memorable hispanic heroes than Marvel, no?
Old 10-30-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

yeah. I'm just focusing on Marvel here. I think DC has had more memorable hispanic heroes than Marvel, no?
http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:His...ino_Characters

This is presumably both heroes and villains, and I count 42 of them in the 616, but yeah, really not many of note, outside of some fringe X-characters
Old 10-30-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off the top of my head, Marvel has Firebird, White Tiger 1 (RIP), Whiter Tiger 2, Arana, el Aguila from the old Power Man/Iron Fist series, and the current Tarantula. (I say "current", but I don't read many funnybooks these days and the last guy might have already been replaced/revillainized. He was pretty cool in the Shadowland-era Daredevil series, though.)

DC has Blue Beetle and Vibe. Vibe is infamous, which means "more than famous". Renee Montoya was the Question until the Nu52 reestablished DC as a safe space for white heterosexual males. There was also Wildcat 2, but by now she has probably been raped to death in some godforsaken comic or other.
Old 10-30-14, 03:07 PM
Banned

Yeah. Tarantula was solid in the DD series around that time. Maya Lopez was cool too. Dunno why Marvel never made a big hero out of an hispanic character. We've had a good amount of great black heroes but the hispanic ones never became big. it didn't help that a lot of them had generic nature to them even with their name.
Old 10-30-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Needs more Asians! The one good one Psylocke has the mind of a white British woman
Old 10-30-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Black Panther was a fifth or sixth or seventh wheel with the Avengers, but I always liked him, and it was interesting when his stories were set in Wakanda. As Snake said, not something we usually see.
Old 10-30-14, 03:14 PM
Banned

marvel has more memorable asians as well. Can't think of DC, I know they have some.

What excites me about Black Panther is that his world is so unlike what we think of Africa. Wakanda is wildly advanced in so many ways compared any other country in Marvel. It isn't the Africa we typically think. He's a wildly unique character but also very cultural for the positive. Off the top of my head he may be the best African born hero. Marvel has done good with their black heroes. Luke Cage, T'Challa, Falcon, War Machine, Storm, etc.

Ironically, Panther was created by a white guy. Jack Kirby... and those were fucking awesome stories.
Old 10-30-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never!

I'd be excited to see wtf the MCU would choose as an hispanic Hero. I remember as a kid seeing Firebird in an old issue from the Avenger comics from the 1980s. That was the first hispanic hero I had ever seen and it was cool. There have been some here and there but none really "big" profile. Like one that actually is a mainstay of sorts. Nova and Ultimate Spidey are them for now. Diversity is a big deal and Marvel is doing good for it so far.
Solve the Asian issue & add another female by adding Mantis to GOTG.
Old 10-30-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Needs more Asians! The one good one Psylocke has the mind of a white British woman
Mantis is coming. I hope
Old 10-30-14, 03:21 PM
Banned

All I got in the MCU Michael Peņa in Ant-Man. I GUESS I'll take that. Fucking love his work.
Old 10-30-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Truly, she is the ultimate weeaboo.

Considering how kung fu/ninja crazy superhero comics can be, there are surprisingly few Asian "headliners". Shang-Chi and Sunfire on the Marvel end, Ryan Choi and mebbe Dr. Light II on the DC side. Karate Kid, depending on who's drawing him. Big Hero 6 are all Japanese, I guess, until the comics catch up with the movie's white-washing.

Doug Monech's Master of Kung Fu run was crazy good and it's a shame copyright issues have prevented it from ever being reprinted. Even the long letter column discussions about Asian portrayals in the media between Monech and Bill Wu were pretty interesting to me as a kid.

(Which reminds me of the late, great Dwayne McDuffie's afterword in the Marvel Masterworks collection of Don McGregor's incredible Black Panther run, which echos what folks here have been saying about young kids seeing representations of people like themselves as heroes.)

All I got in the MCU Michael Peņa in Ant-Man. I GUESS I'll take that. Fucking love his work.
We'll always have el Santo.
Old 10-30-14, 03:46 PM
Banned

The Ancient One is Chinese. Considering Cage and Rand are getting their own little series.... Shang Chi might pop up.

I really wish we got Sunfire doing his thing in an X film.
Old 10-30-14, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

We already have an actor for Black Panther...
So long, Kevin Hart.
Old 10-30-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

What excites me about Black Panther is that his world is so unlike what we think of Africa. Wakanda is wildly advanced in so many ways compared any other country in Marvel. It isn't the Africa we typically think.
You mean like Zamunda?
Old 10-30-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm 100% behind doing Miles Morales Spider-Man movies. It's the best way to move that franchise in a new direction, with new talent involved, without doing yet another reboot. Before people come in and bitch about how iconic Peter Parker is... we've had five Peter Parker Spider-Man movies, and the last three sucked, let's try something new.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.