Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that were supposed to resurrect their franchise, but instead killed it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 04:10 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

What movies were intended to resurrect their franchise, but for whatever reason ended up so bad that they essentially killed their franchise?
Old 10-17-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Movies that were supposed to resurrect their franchise, but instead killed it?

I wouldn't say it killed the franchise, but Superman Returns obviously delayed it and forced WB to go in a different direction.
Old 10-17-14, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movies that were supposed to resurrect their franchise, but instead killed it?

Wasn't Green Lantern originally supposed to have been the first movie in the DC Cinematic Universe? I know they definitely planned a sequel since the ending sets up the Sinestro Corps with his yellow ring.

Marvel also originally planned an Incredible Hulk sequel. They set up the Leader to be the villain in the sequel.
Old 10-17-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Wasn't Green Lantern originally supposed to have been the first movie in the DC Cinematic Universe? I know they definitely planned a sequel since the ending sets up the Sinestro Corps with his yellow ring.

Marvel also originally planned an Incredible Hulk sequel. They set up the Leader to be the villain in the sequel.
We could go all day on movies that were supposed to have sequels but weren't successful enough to spawn them. I think he's looking for something established, preferably with more than one film, that later was brought back but the result wasn't successful and it stopped.

I was going to say Predators, but apparently that is getting a sequel at some point.
Old 10-17-14, 04:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't see it but I read that the last Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie pretty much got panned by even the film's fans.
Old 10-17-14, 04:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Old 10-17-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not monetarily but Episode 1 killed Star Wars for many fans.
Old 10-17-14, 04:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

RIP Star Wars...
Old 10-17-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I didn't see it but I read that the last Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie pretty much got panned by even the film's fans.
Yeah, but I think they still got a sequel out of it.
Old 10-17-14, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did they?
Old 10-17-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Nightmare on Elm Street
Old 10-17-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaymole
Nightmare on Elm Street
That remake is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my life. It's terrible by itself, and it desecrates something beautiful.
Old 10-17-14, 06:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Ang' Lee's The Hulk
Old 10-17-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
did they?
It's in the works. It did $50M worldwide on a budget of only $20M. If they don't opt for 3D for the sequel like last time, I would bet it'll be significantly cheaper to produce and distribute.

Don't forget about the Friday the 13th reboot either despite having a massive opening weekend (and then one of the biggest second weekend drops in history).
Old 10-17-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Scream IV
Old 10-17-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Ang' Lee's The Hulk
There was no established franchise for Hulk to ruin. Universal was trying to start something to compete with X-Men and Raimi's Spider-Man at the time, but it did get a quasi-sequel in the MCU after that.
Originally Posted by Jaymole
Nightmare on Elm Street
That might get my vote for worst reboot to any franchise. I pretend it doesn't exist.
Old 10-17-14, 08:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, but I think they still got a sequel out of it.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has been rebooted TWICE in recent years. The first reboot got a prequel, the more recent one (Texas Chainsaw 3D) did not.
Old 10-17-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The X-Files: I Want to Believe (financially, at least).... still keeping my fingers crossed for a small screen revival.
Old 10-17-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think there's a season 10 comic. Don't know if it's any good though. ITB came out at a really odd time long after the peak of the show's popularity, it's timing was rather odd.
Old 10-17-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I really wish I could say The Amazing Spider-Man.
Old 10-17-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I really wish I could say The Amazing Spider-Man.
It certainly points to that if there's consideration for a Spider-Man crossover in to the MCU, and with TASM3 getting delayed. There's still no guarantee that ever gets made.
Old 10-17-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
It certainly points to that if there's consideration for a Spider-Man crossover in to the MCU, and with TASM3 getting delayed. There's still no guarantee that ever gets made.
Oh I do believe the reboot franchise is dying, but it doesn't really qualify for the OP which is asking for one movie that killed the franchise. In this case it's two mediocre movies in a row that are turning off audiences.
Old 10-17-14, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ASM3 doesn't get made, it just means they are going to reboot it yet again.

Sony has to keep making Spidey movies to retain the rights. It's why ASM was rushed in the first place was because time was running out. (It's also why Fox is rushing the Fantastic Four movie.)

Sony is definitely never going to let the time run out, so they are going to keep pumping them out.
Old 10-17-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Highlander: The Source was supposed to start off a new movie trilogy focusing on Duncan's baby. That didn't happen needless to say.
Old 10-17-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

It would likely benefit Sony if they allow Marvel to use Spidey in the Avengers movie. If Spidey is connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe it would help the gross of Spider-man 3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.