Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that were supposed to resurrect their franchise, but instead killed it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that were supposed to resurrect their franchise, but instead killed it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Movies that were supposed to resurrect their franchise, but instead killed it?

Originally Posted by joe_b
The X-Files: I Want to Believe (financially, at least).... still keeping my fingers crossed for a small screen revival.
This is the 1st movie that came to mind when I saw this thread.
Old 10-18-14, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movies that were supposed to resurrect their franchise, but instead killed it?

matthew brodwick godzilla.
Old 10-18-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
It would likely benefit Sony if they allow Marvel to use Spidey in the Avengers movie. If Spidey is connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe it would help the gross of Spider-man 3.
Exactly. But there is no gain for Marvel , they proven they can make trillions without Spiderman and with basically unknown characters (Guardians). Putting Spiderman on the MCU only benefits Sony and helps them keep the rights
Old 10-18-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I think there's a season 10 comic. Don't know if it's any good though. ITB came out at a really odd time long after the peak of the show's popularity, it's timing was rather odd.
Yes. There's a Season 10 monthly comic.

No. It's not good. The comic takes place years after I Want To Believe but they've gone to great lengths to bring back every character who died during the show's run (Lone Gunmen, CSM, Mr. X) as well as re-telling classic stories in modern settings. It's a step backward instead of forward. I dropped it a few months back.
Old 10-19-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. It was a pretty decent movie too.

I want to say The Bourne Legacy too (oh man, that was a shitty movie) but I've heard rumours that Damon and Greengrass are coming back to make another one. Not sure if the actor who looks like a hobbit is going to be in that one or make a standalone sequel.
Old 10-19-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Exactly. But there is no gain for Marvel , they proven they can make trillions without Spiderman and with basically unknown characters (Guardians). Putting Spiderman on the MCU only benefits Sony and helps them keep the rights
I disagree that there's no benefit to Marvel. They'll have to share profits with Sony but Spider-Man is pretty damn popular so having access to that character as well as other characters from that universe could be beneficial. Especially when some of the current actors step away it'd be a benefit to still have Spider-Man at their disposal.
Old 10-19-14, 04:01 PM

Alien: Resurrection

And no, Prometheus doesn't count.
Old 10-19-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

This argument still makes no sense whatsoever to me. It is absolutely in Marvel's best interest to have the Spider-Man series healthy and profitable. Anything that raises the profile of the character and brand in the public conscious is a positive. Would Sony stand to gain more financially in the short term? Sure, but as the licensee of the character, that's always going to be the case. It's not like Sony is losing money on the franchise at this point, so it would probably be a lot of years and crappy movies (and damage to the brand) before Disney would potentially get the rights back anyway.
Old 10-19-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taffer
If ASM3 doesn't get made, it just means they are going to reboot it yet again.

Sony has to keep making Spidey movies to retain the rights. It's why ASM was rushed in the first place was because time was running out. (It's also why Fox is rushing the Fantastic Four movie.)

Sony is definitely never going to let the time run out, so they are going to keep pumping them out.
My personal theory is that Sony plans on tarnishing the Spider-man franchise to the point where they'll sell the rights back to Marvel when there is literally nothing left to lose. Remember, Marvel owns everything Spider-man but the film rights.

Sony pumped over $200M into production costs of ASM2 and then another $200M into worldwide advertising and distribution. Sony broke even as the film crossed $700M, but they barely made a profit. It's no wonder Sony has zero idea where to move the franchise from here. If the film made decent money, ASM3 would've been already in pre-production to hit 2016 instead of now being in development hell.
Old 10-19-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Star Trek: Nemesis

It was supposed to "make up" for Star Trek: Insurrection, but it reached new levels of sucktitude. It was filled to the brim with cliches, plot holes and ripping off whole portions of The Wrath of Khan.

It led to no other Star Trek movies for 7 years where we got the even more horrible JJTrek reboot movies where Trek is now a generic Michael Bay/Star Wars mash-up. They're filled to the brim with cliches, plot holes and ripping off whole portions of The Wrath of Khan.

Thanks a lot for ruining the franchise, Star Trek: Nemesis!
Old 10-19-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
My personal theory is that Sony plans on tarnishing the Spider-man franchise to the point where they'll sell the rights back to Marvel when there is literally nothing left to lose. Remember, Marvel owns everything Spider-man but the film rights.

Sony pumped over $200M into production costs of ASM2 and then another $200M into worldwide advertising and distribution. Sony broke even as the film crossed $700M, but they barely made a profit. It's no wonder Sony has zero idea where to move the franchise from here. If the film made decent money, ASM3 would've been already in pre-production to hit 2016 instead of now being in development hell.
What Marvel could do if they get a deal with Sony is use random Spider-man movie appearances here and there to boost a Spider-man live action TV show.
Old 10-20-14, 11:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

So Marvel has Spider-Man TV rights ? Just make a TV show with Garfield
Old 10-20-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

So Marvel has Spider-Man TV rights ? Just make a TV show with Garfield
Old 10-20-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

This is my theory about Fox and the Fantastic Four. I think they've already decided to give the rights back to Marvel and they are purposely cratering the franchise with the new movie.
Old 10-20-14, 03:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
What movies were intended to resurrect their franchise, but for whatever reason ended up so bad that they essentially killed their franchise?
Well considering that any franchise can always be rebooted later, I'm not sure there is really any movie that completely fits this criteria since they are never really dead.

I would use Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes as an example, but it was eventually rebooted again.

The Day the Earth Stood Still and War of the Worlds probably turned Hollywood away from rebooting 50's era sci-fi flicks.

Shaft might fit the criteria. I actually thought it was a pretty good reboot of the 70s era franchise. But Jackson was so disappointed with the film that no sequels were made.
Old 10-20-14, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

War of the Worlds cost $132 million...made almost $592 million. That's good.

The Day the Earth Stood Still was for $80 million... got $233 million. That one could be debatable but that's good. Almost 3 times it's budget.
Old 10-20-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
War of the Worlds cost $132 million...made almost $592 million. That's good.

The Day the Earth Stood Still was for $80 million... got $233 million. That one could be debatable but that's good. Almost 3 times it's budget.
Silly Solid Snake. Worldwide grosses don't count....

Scream IV was an interesting case. I don't think that movie killed the franchise as much as fail to revive it. The time period and audience for those movies had passed when it was released. The actual enforcement of the R rating kept many teens from seeing it, and those who made it a hit back in the day would now require the hiring of babysitters to go and view the new installment. It really was never meant to be for that reboot.
Old 10-20-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This is my theory about Fox and the Fantastic Four. I think they've already decided to give the rights back to Marvel and they are purposely cratering the franchise with the new movie.
It's a great idea when you think about it.

The films are still making money and when the franchise bottoms out and there's no more money to be made, you sell the rights back as you'll have successfully fucked over your competition by giving them a franchise you gutted inside and out.
Old 10-20-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I want to say The Bourne Legacy too (oh man, that was a shitty movie) but I've heard rumours that Damon and Greengrass are coming back to make another one. Not sure if the actor who looks like a hobbit is going to be in that one or make a standalone sequel.
Those rumors were confirmed last month.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...s-s-damon.html
Old 10-20-14, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a great idea when you think about it.

The films are still making money and when the franchise bottoms out and there's no more money to be made, you sell the rights back as you'll have successfully fucked over your competition by giving them a franchise you gutted inside and out.
from a business mentality, this is smart.

I don't know if they're actually doing that or not. You COULD assume they are cuz of how these companies work in the past but... I dunno.
Old 10-20-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

If ASM3 doesn't get made, it just means they are going to reboot it yet again.

Sony has to keep making Spidey movies to retain the rights. It's why ASM was rushed in the first place was because time was running out. (It's also why Fox is rushing the Fantastic Four movie.)

Sony is definitely never going to let the time run out, so they are going to keep pumping them out.
So what exactly is the constraint/obligation for Sony and Fox to retain their respective movie rights? I am just curious what the time frame would be so that I can brace for these inevitable sequels and/or reboots...
Old 10-21-14, 04:13 AM

Star Wars episodes I - III such a stab in the back. Thankfully parts IV - VI are still so incredible awesome that the flop was just temporary. I - III dare not call themselves Star Wars.
Old 10-21-14, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
So what exactly is the constraint/obligation for Sony and Fox to retain their respective movie rights? I am just curious what the time frame would be so that I can brace for these inevitable sequels and/or reboots...
It's doubtful anyone outside Marvel, Sony, Fox, and their lawyers know what the time frame actually is.

Originally Posted by Sheppie
Star Wars episodes I - III such a stab in the back. Thankfully parts IV - VI are still so incredible awesome that the flop was just temporary. I - III dare not call themselves Star Wars.
The prequel trilogy didn't kill the franchise. They may not have been very good movies, but they most definitely did not kill the franchise.
Old 10-21-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The prequel trilogy didn't kill the franchise. They may not have been very good movies, but they most definitely did not kill the franchise.
Exactly. Regardless of what people think about the Prequels, Star Wars is alive and doing very well.
Old 10-21-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
No one knows, but since Sony seemed to get a fire lit under its butt for ASM and Spidey 3 came out in 2007, I would assume its around 5 years.

FF 2 came out in 2007 as well, but filming didn't start until this year. So it's likely that had a different window.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.