Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My Video Rental Store Documentary (Full)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-02-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

At the recommendation of The Phantom Stranger:

So, after months of working, editing, shaping, and getting the bugs worked out, here's my documentary on the 3 independent video rental stores where I live:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IF8mRefOejU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's 13.5 minutes long. Please let me know what you think!

Last edited by PatD; 10-02-14 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: My Video Rental Store Documentary (Full)

I thought it was great. Well-made and an interesting subject matter. Everyone I have talked to (old timers over 35 like myself) says they miss browsing the video store. Blockbuster & Hollywood drove most of the indies out of business, then shut down. I wondered if an independent store could make a go of it in this day and age now that the behemoths are gone.

Good job!
Old 10-02-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Terrific job, you put everything together in a very professional manner.

I loved seeing the footage of the 80's era store. I love seeing the old shelves and posters, I wish more footage of this kind of stuff was out there.

The last video store guy is right on the money when he points out our embrace of streaming and non-physical media will mean the consumer having loses control over what they want to watch.

Great job.
Old 10-02-14, 04:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I'm only halfway through, but really good stuff.

edit: finished it.

I know it may sound silly, but you should submit it to some film festivals. Specifically ones that embrace short films. My local fest (no, I'm not affiliated with them) has about 5 or 6 "short film" screenings each year in addition to all the feature-length stuff. Each screening contains 6 or 7 shorts. Yours would fit right in with that type of thing.

Last edited by Dan; 10-02-14 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Wow. Sad ending. I teared up.

Good piece. Thanks for sharing it with us.

What's astounding to me is how big those three stores are. And all in one town. With its thousands of film buffs, Manhattan can't even support a big video store like that anymore.

Also: lots of middle-aged customers. Young people clearly don't patronize these places anymore.
Old 10-02-14, 04:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

very nicely done.
Old 10-02-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Also: lots of middle-aged customers. Young people clearly don't patronize these places anymore.
I was SHOCKED yo see footage of people lined up in front of a video store, waiting for it to open, like it was 1985 again or something.
Old 10-02-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

That was fun. I miss the old days before Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.
Not many can remember a time when you HAD to wait in a line like that to be first. They only had 1 copy, 2 copies if they were lucky. I remember waiting hours in stores, waiting for returns to come in.

I can admit that the digital age is here. It wont be far from now when everything is streamed online. There wont be a need for cable TV. Just high speed internet. I see movie theaters vanishing as well.

I'm sure some of these nostalgia video stores will be around for years to come. They're quirky and fun and bring back a time that can pass along memories to a younger generation.

Great documentary. Should definitely submit to a film festival.
Old 10-03-14, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

PatD, that was really good - you've got some talent. I hope you get this in front of some eyes - it's well-made.

"Remember the good times..." a very SOPRANOS-like ending.
Old 10-03-14, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed it.
Old 10-03-14, 08:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Very well done!

Spoiler:
So, the other 2 video stores featured in the documentary are still up and running?
Old 10-03-14, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Very well done!

Spoiler:
So, the other 2 video stores featured in the documentary are still up and running?
Yes, and one's going non-profit to stay open.

Thank you everyone for your kind words! This movie was a labor of love. Video rental stores have been my sanctuary for the majority of my life and source of a semi-livelihood for a smaller portion.
Old 10-03-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I don't know if you purposely framed it this way because you knew the eventual outcome, but just from the footage, the first two stores did seem a lot busier than the third.

Anyway, nice piece, thanks.
Old 10-03-14, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I don't know if you purposely framed it this way because you knew the eventual outcome, but just from the footage, the first two stores did seem a lot busier than the third.

Anyway, nice piece, thanks.
No, I tried to show all three stores at their busiest. I strived to make of them them look the best I could.
Old 10-03-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was excellent. I hope you find success at festivals as it would be well deserved.

This would be great as a pre-show screening at an art house theater like Film Forum or Angelika here in NYC. Definitely would be appreciated by those patrons at least.
Old 10-03-14, 02:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Very good subject. Very well executed. The second store has an outstanding location. If anything could be improved I think you could tell the audience more about that location (looks like an historic building), and if that is the store that's going non-profit it would be interesting to know how that business model works.

All the big record stores went out of business but there are still small indie record shops. I'm sure it will be the same for video stores. But if/when the studios stop releasing physical product then that will be the end.

What did you shoot and edit with?
Old 10-03-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Yes, and one's going non-profit to stay open.

Thank you everyone for your kind words! This movie was a labor of love. Video rental stores have been my sanctuary for the majority of my life and source of a semi-livelihood for a smaller portion.
Scarecrow Video In Seattle did just that, they ran a kickstarter to become a place to preserve and capture physical film media. I hope they have success.
Old 10-03-14, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work man. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-03-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Great work. I posted the link on my facebook page to hopefully get some more views. It brought back a lot of memories of going to the video store to find a movie for the weekend.
Old 10-03-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Loved the older footage- how did you even find that and how much more was there that wasn't used?

I'm still waiting for a 'definitive' historical documentary about home video, from its inception (open-reel black and white tape machines in the 60s) up til now- ideally it'd be several hours long.

Right now I think streaming has its positives and negatives. Netflix really is a bargain, as the cost per movie ends up being pennies if you watch several per day; sadly I don't have time to do that myself. The main thing though is the technical quality still can't match Blu-Ray, and some of Netflix's early stuff looked worse than VHS. I haven't rented a movie myself since the 90s- low-priced DVDs and clearance laserdiscs turned me into a buyer, and I'd patronize stores that sold movies a lot more than ones that just rented them. If I lived near Scarecrow Video or a similar store, I'd likely just use them for long out of print stuff.
Old 10-03-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Great short , I really enjoyed it. But please do not let Alan Smithee watch this

edit: too late!!
Old 10-03-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Fantastic documentary! Great job, it brought back so many memories of visiting, and later managing a video store chain in a small town. Dare I say I got a little teary eyed at the end, simply because it reminded me of so many mom & pop stores that vanished over the years.
Old 10-04-14, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Loved the older footage- how did you even find that and how much more was there that wasn't used?
There was an hour long tape lent to me by the third store owner. It was footage of the last night of the theater/video store (in the late 80s/early 90s) before it was just the video store in another location.

The "real snotty clerk" at the beginning of my film is him as a young man.
Old 10-04-14, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson
Great work. I posted the link on my facebook page to hopefully get some more views. It brought back a lot of memories of going to the video store to find a movie for the weekend.
Hey, thanks a lot. Any exposure I can get for it is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-14, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I thought it was great. Well-made and an interesting subject matter. Everyone I have talked to (old timers over 35 like myself) says they miss browsing the video store. Blockbuster & Hollywood drove most of the indies out of business, then shut down. I wondered if an independent store could make a go of it in this day and age now that the behemoths are gone.

Good job!
The behemoths aren't gone. They've just changed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.