Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gone Girl (Fincher, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Gone Girl (Fincher, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.39%
29.87%
29.87%
14.29%
6.49%
2.60%
3.90%
0%
1.30%
0%
0%
Gone, Fincher, Gone
1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Gone Girl (Fincher, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Gone Girl (Fincher, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

i thought she did it to show abuse from nick too.
Old 10-06-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That's actually a really interesting theory. I think once a body is floating in the Missouri for a while superficial bruises aren't that apparent any more. Besides, with Nick sitting in jail awaiting trial and a blunt murder weapon with Amy's blood on it in the evidence room, if Amy's body was discovered in the river I doubt there would be a ton of forensics done at the autopsy.
Needing the bruise to explain why she's on the run makes perfect sense, and I picked up on that in the movie...but the reason I thought that there was more to it was that if I wanted to bruise myself, I wouldn't use a hammer. I mean, hitting yourself with a hammer the way Amy did in the movie could crack your cheekbone.

But that could just be me over-thinking things. I tend to do that.
Old 10-06-14, 07:36 PM
Banned

but if she is going to kill herself... it wouldnt matter? wasnt she close to ending it at that point?
Old 10-06-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I also just thought it was to show more forced damage from Nick. If it was just to support her guise as an abused woman, I agree there would be easier ways to show that.
Old 10-06-14, 07:51 PM
Banned

make up could help her role. Hammering is wildly extreme to do for another identity.
Old 10-06-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

To be fair, I don't recall her hitting herself with the hammer in the book. And Any abandons the idea of killing herself pretty early after it's revealed that she's not actually dead.
Old 10-06-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
make up could help her role. Hammering is wildly extreme to do for another identity.
Realism was her thing and she's not too right in the head.

To be fair, I don't recall her hitting herself with the hammer in the book.
I read somewhere that she didn't in the book, it was added to the film.
Old 10-06-14, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by inri222

I read somewhere that she didn't in the book, it was added to the film.
Okay that makes more sense. In the book she hands over all her money (except some spare change) to Greta and Jeff without any physical confrontation because she's afraid of getting actually hit.
Old 10-06-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/spoiler...067800267.html

Here Are All the Big Differences Between 'Gone Girl' the Book and 'Gone Girl' the Movie

[Warning: This post is entirely spoilers.]

Contrary to reports, the Gone Girl movie doesn’t change the book’s ending. (According to author Gillian Flynn, that rumor began with a Ben Affleck quote that was taken out of context.) That said, Flynn’s screenplay for the David Fincher thriller is a different beast from her novel: It’s leaner, meaner, and contains 100 percent fewer stolen catfish. Based on one viewing of the film, here’s a semi-comprehensive list of what’s been added, changed, and taken away.

Who’s Missing?

—Amy’s teenage best friend, Hilary Handy, who had to transfer schools when she was accused of stalking Amy and pushing her down a flight of stairs.

—Desi Collings’s patrician mother, who looks like Amy and with whom Desi has an unnervingly close relationship.

—Rebecca, the young reporter for a crime blog called Whodunnit, who finds Nick drunk in a bar and gets exclusive video of him gushing about Amy.

—Stucks Buckley, Nick’s meathead high school acquaintance who joins the Amy hunt and leads the investigation into the mall.

—Lawyer Tanner Bolt’s wife, Betsy, who helps media-train Nick by impersonating interviewer Sharon Schreiber.

—Dorothy, the tomato-growing manager of the Ozarks motel.

—“The Hopes”: the babies Amy’s mother miscarried before having Amy.

What’s Missing?

—Amy drinking antifreeze — and saving the vomit — as part of an earlier plan to frame Nick for attempted murder.

—Nick’s break-up with his girlfriend Andie: In the book, he does it at Tanner Bolt’s urging, and she responds by biting his cheek.

—The scene in which Amy helps her Ozarks friend Jeff catch catfish to sell on the black market.

—Amy’s second clue, which leads Nick to Hannibal, Missouri, the boyhood home of Mark Twain. In the book, we learn that Nick’s summer job growing up was playing Huckleberry Finn.

—Many of the stories from Amy’s diary, including the day Nick was laid off; implications of past cheating; their Missouri housewarming party; and scenes involving Nick’s dying mother.

—The story about Amy plotting for a year to get a truck driver fired after he cut her off in traffic.

—Amy’s manipulation of Nick’s father; in the book, she secretly visits him and encourages him to visit the house.

—The effusive notes (“You are WITTY”) that accompanied Amy’s treasure-hunt clues.

—Amy and Nick’s argument the night before her disappearance.

—Amy’s invented fear of blood.

—Some of Amy’s little flaws, including her tendency to get song lyrics wrong, and her inability to reel off seemingly ordinary facts, such as the cost of milk.

—The anniversary dinner reservation that Nick tells police he'd made.

—Boney’s line that explains her affection towards Nick: “You remind me of my little brother.”

—Any mention of Nick’s actual first name, Lance.

—Nick’s suspicious computer search, “body float Mississippi River.”

—Amy’s story that her father sexually abused her, invented to make her more sympathetic to Desi.

What’s Been Added?

—The line about Nick’s “untrustworthy chin.”

—Nick proposing to Amy at an Amazing Amy press event; the event is in the book, but not the proposal.

—Amy and Nick having public sex during her treasure hunts.

—Amy and Nick buying each other the same gift for their second anniversary.

—Amy hitting herself in the face with a hammer to impersonate a battered girlfriend.

—The security cameras in Desi’s house, and the scene in which Amy uses them to fake an escape attempt.

—The final Ellen Abbott interview at the Dunnes’ home.

—Amy’s public pregnancy announcement.

What’s Changed?

—Like author Gillian Flynn (a former Entertainment Weekly staffer), the Nick of the book had been laid off from his job writing for a pop culture magazine. Book Nick constantly references movies, and often mentions feeling like he’s living in a movie — perhaps too self-aware a tendency for Gone Girl’s film version. Similarly, Amy’s part-time career as a quiz writer is rarely mentioned in the film, but in the book, Amy’s diaries are written partially in magazine-quiz format.

—The film gives us a brief glimpse of Nick’s father, who has Alzheimer’s and tends to wander away from his nursing home. In the book, he shows up repeatedly, always muttering a string of slurs against women. The book clearly connects Nick and Margo’s father, who was absent in their childhood and emotionally abusive to their mother, with Nick’s own misogynist tendencies.

—There is real affection between Andie and Nick in the book — at least, at the beginning. The film shows a relationship entirely based on sex, but book Nick genuinely believes he loves his student mistress, who is portrayed as naïve but not stupid.

—Some physical details have changed from the book, i.e., Amy does not appear to be older than Nick; Nick’s hair isn’t blond; Margo is mousier than described; and Det. Boney is prettier.

—While the media looms large in the film, the role of the internet has been reduced. In the book, Nick’s videos on the crime blog Whodunnit are what turns public opinion back in his favor, rather than his televised interview. It’s also mentioned that Amy befriends Andie on Facebook, using a fake identity, in order to keep tabs on her.

—The tell-all memoir that Nick is writing at the end of the book doesn’t appear in the film; instead, he’s planning a full confession on live television. Amy not only quashes his plan, but tells him he must confess to the abuses she invented for the diary.

—The “cool girl” speech has been partially rewritten for the movie.

—Desi’s obsession with Amy has been scaled back slightly for the film. In the book, Desi seems to have designed his lake house long ago with Amy in mind, including a greenhouse full of tulips (her favorite flower as a teenager) and a bedroom painted dusty rose (her favorite color in high school).

—The morning of the crime, Nick visits a beach alone. In the book, he also sees Andie and spends time in the garage reading back issues of his old magazine.

—In the book, nosey neighbor Shawna Kelly only turns on Nick after he rebuffs her advances.

—The abandoned mall scene in the film is briefer than the one in the book, with the police leading the investigation (rather than Nick, Amy’s father, and Stucks Buckley, who take the lead in the mall-search in Flynn's book).

—Amy’s parents, Rand and Marybeth Elliott, play a larger role in the book. They’re held up as the opposite of the Nick and Amy relationship: a genuinely loving, supportive couple who just happen to have a giant blind spot when it comes to their daughter. Rand is also a kind of surrogate father to his son-in-law, to the extent that he sides with Nick even after Marybeth suspects him of foul play.

—In the film, the ex-boyfriend Amy accused of raping her has to plead guilty and register as a sex offender. In the book, Amy drops the charges.

—Amy’s final murder weapon in the book is a butcher knife, not a box cutter, and she sedates Desi with a sleeping pill martini before attacking.

—The interrogation scene between Amy and the police is shortened in the film, and moved from the police station to the hospital.

—The shower conversation in the book is said to last an hour, with Amy making a full confession.

—When Nick finally does make a violent gesture towards Amy in the book, it’s when she denies him a divorce. In the film, he does it when she tells him she’s pregnant.

Notice anything we didn’t? Tell us in the comments!
Old 10-06-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I absolutely loved it. Probably one of the best movies of 2014 for me.

Rosamund Pike killed it as Amy. First you sympathized with her and then she turns into a despicable sociopath. Pike was great and I thought Affleck was solid as well. Pike in my opinion was the highlight of this movie. It's a damn long movie, but really compelling. Lots of twists and turns. Definitely felt like a Hitchcock thriller as well as a statement on the media's coverage on sensationalistic topics and news.
Old 10-06-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

In the book, there's no calendar (which was stupid, careless and incriminating; not something Amy would be likely to do. Wipe down your car for prints then hang a calender on the wall of your rented cabin with all your meticulous plotting? Doubt it.). She has firm plans to kill herself after a while to seal his fate -- No question about it, her plan was to humiliate Nick in the eye of the public, make him the most hated man in America (he was always obsessed with making sure others thought highly of him), then lose his freedom, then get executed. After a while though, she thinks "Fuck him? Why should I have to kill myself for his indiscretions?" - something they make her actually verbalize in the movie on the mini-golf course.
Her plans go awry because she underestimated the amount of money she needed. Then after the "mugging", she's forced to change her plans again -- enter Desi.
One thing the movie did not mention was that
Spoiler:
Amy was the only child her parents had that actually made it through the pregnancy stages. They had many miscarriages, and she felt by killing herself she would simply be joining the rest of them.
Old 10-06-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah that echoes what I meant (not necessarily how I came across with my post), in his mind Alien 3 isn't his, it's a half aborted fetus delivered by Fox.
Yeah, I was agreeing with your point, but then also wanted to go into more detail about the differences between his view of each film.
Old 10-06-14, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I absolutely loved it. Probably one of the best movies of 2014 for me.

Rosamund Pike killed it as Amy. First you sympathized with her and then she turns into a despicable sociopath. Pike was great and I thought Affleck was solid as well. Pike in my opinion was the highlight of this movie.
While I agree that Pike is great and will get notice, for me - far and away the revelation is Carrie Coon as Margo. In the same way that Andrew Garfield's Eduardo Saverin is the emotional center of The Social Network surrounded by amoral assholes, Margo is the anchor here. She's steadfast, supportive and loving. She really hammers home the concept of sibling love that isn't some sort of sick "twincest", but rather the true understanding and closeness that only siblings can really share. I've never seen her before in anything, but I thought she was great -- award-worthy even. What might hurt her is that her "award scene" was cut from the movie. In the book, right before the end, there's a scene of Nick and Go where he explains his emotional blackmailing with the kid on the way. They show some of it in the film, but in the book it's much more a conscious decision on Nick's part to give up the fight and just live it out with Amy. Margo in the book is pretty devastated by the news and the decision and tells Nick basically that she loves him, but can't be around him any more. It's heart-breaking and gut-wrenching. If that scene were in the movie, she'd be a Supporting Actress front-runner. She might be anyways.

Last edited by Decker; 10-06-14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 10:05 PM

And since we're talking Fincher films, I highly recommend this podcast from Grantland. It's Chris Ryan and Shaun Fennessey deep-diving into the Films of David Fincher. Barely touching on Gone Girl, but spanning his entire catalog.
It's a companion piece to this article.
Old 10-07-14, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If she was going to kill herself, wouldn't it be a bit strange that her hair was died and cut shorter and that's how they found her?
Old 10-07-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Nick's father is a significant red herring for the first half of the book. It's surprising we only got one scene in the movie with him. Reading the novel, I spent the first 100 pages guessing that the father did it.
Old 10-07-14, 11:24 AM
Banned

i don't even remember nick having a dad.
Old 10-07-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

i don't even remember nick having a dad.
The old guy with dementia cursing in the police precinct that he takes back to the home.
Old 10-08-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gone girls and boys: 11 of the best movies about marriage *

David Fincher is just the latest auteur to put a new twist on an ancient institution. A brief tour of film history

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/08/gone...riage_partner/

* Ingmar Bergman’s Scenes From A Marriage is puposely excluded

Gone Girl - David Fincher
Blue Valentine -Derek Cianfrance
Revolutionary Road - Sam Mendes
Contempt - Jean-Luc Godard
Eyes Wide Shut - Stanley Kubrick
A Married Couple - Allan King
Husbands and Wives - Woody Allen
Journey To Italy - Roberto Rossellini
Faces - John Cassavetes
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Mike Nichols
Make Way For Tomorrow - Leo McCarey
The Face Of Another - Hiroshi Teshigahara
Old 10-08-14, 03:36 PM

The Ice Storm is a great movie about marriage. Eyes Wide Shut is not.
Old 10-08-14, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222
The old guy with dementia cursing in the police precinct that he takes back to the home.
yeah. totally forgot about him somehow.
Old 10-08-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Good adaptation of as good book. I liked Ben Affleck butn the actress that played his Wife came off as mediocre performance. I heard the author is writing a sequel. I finished the book and it seemed like she opened it up for a sequel considering at the end
Spoiler:
Amy is pregnant. The next book could go focus on Amy and Nick's kid which would certainly be a fucked up childhood being raised by Amy
Old 10-08-14, 04:05 PM

Nothing is as sure a guarantee of disappointment as a sequel to a beloved novel.
Old 10-08-14, 04:10 PM
Banned

yeah. i dont need more. it would ruin it for me.
Old 10-08-14, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

yeah. i dont need more. it would ruin it for me.
Just speaking from only seeing the film, it certainly had the kind of ending that Unbreakable also delivered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.