Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Make a bold statement about movies.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Make a bold statement about movies.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Make a bold statement about movies.

Another Bold Statement:

To borrow a line from Henry Kissenger: cinematic history will regard Kevin Smith with far more kindness than his contemporaries. His comedies are some of the smartest, sassiest, and most enjoyable to come out of the 90's and 00s. And it is idiotic to compare him with the scale of Scorsese or Tarantino (in order to make him look absolutely at his worst). If critics are going to be fair--try John Landis or John Hughes. His is a unique voice in Hollywood and film would be much poorer without him.
Old 09-20-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never watched anything by Landis or Hughes that looked like a sitcom the way Smith films do.
Old 09-20-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The Phantom Menace is the best Star Wars movie.

(runs and ducks for cover)
the prequels will be seen in a better light in the future
Old 09-20-14, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duff beer
the prequels will be seen in a better light in the future
Are you implying that the sequel trilogy is going to make the prequel trilogy look like a masterpiece in comparison?
Old 09-20-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'd argue that that's bullshit. Some films benefit visually from filmed in digital.

Fincher's films lately have totally mastered the ability of digital. Mann's Collateral looks great cuz it's digital. The way it takes in the light, the movement, etc. Benefitted from digital. Then you have something like Public Enemies which doens't benefit visually from the digital aspect.

It all depends on the material and how it is handled in the format.

Saying that... I will say that Film is better, in the overall, than Digital. For now. Digital is getting better though.
If a person tells you that film is inherently better than digital, then frankly it's either snobbery or foolishness at this point. Too many Oscar-winning films by top filmmakers have been shot and made digitally to make that argument anymore. That said, I personally have an aesthetic preference for film and its look, but digital is getting closer and closer to being able to emulate it so precisely as to render the whole thing pointless, and given they Kodak probably won't make it to the end of the year, rendering the whole thing academic. IMO, most of the issue with digital will be solved with time (and probably very little of it) in terms of both image capture, resolution, and display (DCP) to the point where film will be a nostalgic thing and little else. Personally, I find the image of Ansel Adams or FW Murnau using digital technology and computers intellectually abhorrent, but I think that's just a knee-jerk reaction. They'd probably have been all over it (Adams likely would've been all about HDR, and I can totally see a perfectionist like Kubrick or Disney jumping all over 4K). Film is basically the horse and buggy now, I think it's just a matter of time.

The Raid films come to mind for me. Audience was totally adding in to my enjoyment of it.
When the audience talks through movies and behaves like idiots, then frankly I could do without them, but when they're well-behaved and properly react to films (I've seen this with some horror and action flicks, cheering or reacting in just the right places), they're definitely welcome, IMO, and nothing is better than having someone like-minded to talk about, and sometimes at best even argue about a movie.

Damn, WTF is with iOS 8? They really didn't think about forums when designing it apparently. Dear Lord, how cumbersome.
Old 09-20-14, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've no problem w/ the use of digital. My issue with it is that it's not perfected enough to handle certain things that film has done. But it's getting there. Ever so quickly.

what about iOS8?
Old 09-21-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Kevin Smith is the worst director ever.
Old 09-21-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Kevin Smith is the worst director ever.
Worse than Edward D. Wood Jr? Worse than Uwe Boll? Worse than whoever it was directed Manos: Hands of Fate?
Old 09-21-14, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the director of Manos was an insurance salesman from El Paso. That's all I got. White guy, I think. Was in it too. Never seen the film aside from images of it. It's getting a remastered BD too.
Old 09-21-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

He was a fertilizer salesman.
Old 09-21-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Worse than Edward D. Wood Jr? Worse than Uwe Boll? Worse than whoever it was directed Manos: Hands of Fate?
How dare you! Ed Wood was a genius who was way ahead of his time. Your stupid minds! Stupid! Stupid! Your ancient juvenile minds...
Old 09-21-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Ed Wood was a genius who was way ahead of his time...
Old 09-22-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
That battle scene is killer though.
You mean the Battle of Stirling Bridge which Mel Gibson got so completely wrong that he left out the most important aspect of it: THE FUCKING BRIDGE!

( Read about how it really happened here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stirling_Bridge )
Old 09-22-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

How dare you! Ed Wood was a genius who was way ahead of his time. Your stupid minds! Stupid! Stupid! Your ancient juvenile minds...
I think Ed Wood is one of the greatest comedy directors of all time and "Plan 9 From Outer Space" is one of the best comedies ever made.
Old 09-22-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
You mean the Battle of Stirling Bridge which Mel Gibson got so completely wrong that he left out the most important aspect of it: THE FUCKING BRIDGE!

( Read about how it really happened here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stirling_Bridge )
That's the one, awesome battle scene.
Old 09-24-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

-The fact that many SFX Companies can't get the eyes right on CGI characters is fuckin' retarded in this day and age. CGI characters with "Dead Eyes" is just lazy.
Old 09-25-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac
You mean the Battle of Stirling Bridge which Mel Gibson got so completely wrong that he left out the most important aspect of it: THE FUCKING BRIDGE! ( Read about how it really happened here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stirling_Bridge )
I didn't say it was at all historically accurate, but as a piece of filmmaking, it's pretty damn brutally exciting.
Old 09-25-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
-The fact that many SFX Companies can't get the eyes right on CGI characters is fuckin' retarded in this day and age. CGI characters with "Dead Eyes" is just lazy.
Maybe it's the one thing computers can't master. Frankly, I'd feel more comfortable if there was SOMETHING they couldn't do to replace us .
Old 09-25-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure. I'd have to think about that.....

Old 09-25-14, 10:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

The Godfather Part II is better than I.
Old 09-25-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
The Godfather Part II is better than I.
The only thing bold about that statement is the bold font you used.

Seriously though, while I personally prefer the first film, you are hardly the first person to say this.
Old 09-25-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most people cheat and basically think of them as one film. I've done it more than once. Although they have two different producers and were made a year or so apart, they feel very much of a piece.
Old 09-25-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
As good as Godfather II is, I never thought of it as narratively important or necessary. The first movie has a beginning, a middle, and an end. The story is pretty much over. The second movie is basically just The Continuing Adventures of Michael Corleone. The first movie is all about a good man becoming evil, while the second is just about an evil man remaining evil. Michael is no different at the end of II than he is at the beginning. The flashback stuff with Vito also doesn't parallel Michael's story in II at all; it worked better in the novel when it was presented with Michael's transformation.

It's still a fucking amazing movie, extremely well-made, but I can't jump on the "it's better than the first one" bandwagon at all.
This is exactly how I feel. Part II may be better written, less pulpy, and more artfully made, but like you said, it's story is completely redundant.
Old 09-25-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Why is every movie now 2 hrs +?

I thought this was Hollywood and not Bollywood.
Old 09-26-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Wes Anderson has not made a good film since The Royal Tenenbaums

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.