Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by a disappointing sequel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by a disappointing sequel

Old 08-20-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: Movie Franchises with One Sequel Too Many

Originally Posted by inri222
I was about to mention Driving Miss Daisy until you posted this putrid piece of shit. God I hate that movie.
I couldn't believe that this vile, repulsive, stereotype-ridden, grossly ignorant and culturally insulting movie won *any* accolades, let alone Best Picture.

But Hollywood loves to show off how they like them brown people who are 'differnt', so we can all learn valuable lessons.
Old 08-22-14, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by a disappointing seq

Lots of comic series work:

Superman 1-2 good, 3-4 awful
Raimi's Spider-man: 1-2 solid, 3 pretty hated
Burton's Batman & B:Returns solid, Forever & B&R shit
Nolan's Batman Begins & Dark Knight great, Rises less so
X-Men & X2 awesome, X3 was so bad it had to be retconned
Old 08-23-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by a disappointing seq

Infernal Affairs. The first two are great, the third one looks like it was edited together from deleted footage from the first two.

The Swedish Millennium Trilogy films ("The Girl who...") series. IMHO.

Scream and Robocop, which seem to follow the same pattern: cheeky and great first film, more action-packed second film, very watered down third film, and a fourth film that tries to repair the damage done by the third one.

Rebuild of Evangelion. The first was well done retelling of the TV series, the second is one of my favorite films, period, and the third, god, I can't even, gah.

Last edited by dugan; 08-23-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Im going to go with Mad Max- great first film.
The Road Warrior is still my favorite action movie.
Beyond Thunderome - I could never fully embrace it. Every positive (Tina Turner, Bartertown, Master Blaster ) is negated by poor choices (PG-13 rating, the wrong George, generic score)

Last edited by mike7162; 08-25-14 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-25-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
Im going to go with Mad Max- great first film.
The Road Warrior is still my favorite action movie.
Beyond Thunderome - I could never fully embrace it. Every positive (Tina Turner, Bartertown, Master Blaster ) is negated by poor choices (PG-13 rating, the wrong George, generic score)
Old 08-25-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Blade 1 & 2 were a ton of fun, 3 was a mess.
Old 08-25-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1&2 had directors come on and do rewrites. 3 had him directing his own script. There's probably an unpleasant moral to that story.

Originally Posted by mike7162
Im going to go with Mad Max- great first film. The Road Warrior is still my favorite action movie. Beyond Thunderome - I could never fully embrace it. Every positive (Tina Turner, Bartertown, Master Blaster ) is negated by poor choices (PG-13 rating, the wrong George, generic score)
MMBT is definitely weak, which almost certainly has do with it being only partially directed by Miller, but it still has its share of cool stuff in it. Some of the set pieces and post-industrial punk pastiche designs are still kind of cool.
Old 08-25-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
1&2 had directors come on and do rewrites. 3 had him directing his own script. There's probably an unpleasant moral to that story.

MMBT is definitely weak, which almost certainly has do with it being only partially directed by Miller, but it still has its share of cool stuff in it. Some of the set pieces and post-industrial punk pastiche designs are still kind of cool.
The moral of that story is David Goyer is a shitty director with great writing ideas that need wrangling in by better directors/writers.
Old 08-26-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by joliom
- Frankenstein (1931)
- Psycho
- The Godfather
- Jaws
- Superman (1978)
- Alien
- National Lampoon's Vacation
- The Terminator
- Manhunter
- Crocodile Dundee
- Robocop
- Lethal Weapon
- Batman (1989)
- The X-Men
- Spider-Man

I agree with you on these movies. Terminator, Lethal Weapon and Alien especially.

However, i think that each of these had a good third movie. Maybe not quite as strong as the first two, but certainly worth making.

- Indiana Jones (i thought Last Crusade was generally liked???)

- Star Wars (The same for Return of the Jedi? Hell i can except the stupid Ewoks for the cool stuff like Jabba, the end battle and the lightsaber duel).

- The Hunt for Red October (Clear and Present Danger is a very solid movie and i am sure a lot of people might say its better than Patriot Games. The Jack Ryan movies have all been pretty entertaining so far, but Red October was easily the best. Shame Alec Baldwin stepped down from the role, he was great as Ryan)

- Die Hard (I don't get the hatred for Die Hard with A Vengeance? I find it a really great Die Hard and i was glad it tried to give the audience something different other than being a retread of McClane against terrorists in such an such a place. Now as for the last 2 Die Hard movies.......jeez, talk about destroying a series).

- Back to the Future (I think Back to the Future III is pretty entertaining for what it is. It seemed to round out the series nicely.)

That leads me to:
- The Expendables
- The Karate Kid (1984)
- Beverly Hills Cop

All of which i found to be terrible from first movie to the last. The first Expendables was passable at best, but the last two were awful.
Old 08-26-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Evil Dead
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Old 08-26-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inri222
Evil Dead
To each his own, but I don't think too many people are going to agree on this one.
Old 08-26-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I agree with you on these movies. Terminator, Lethal Weapon and Alien especially.

However, i think that each of these had a good third movie. Maybe not quite as strong as the first two, but certainly worth making.

- Indiana Jones (i thought Last Crusade was generally liked???)

- Star Wars (The same for Return of the Jedi? Hell i can except the stupid Ewoks for the cool stuff like Jabba, the end battle and the lightsaber duel).

- The Hunt for Red October (Clear and Present Danger is a very solid movie and i am sure a lot of people might say its better than Patriot Games. The Jack Ryan movies have all been pretty entertaining so far, but Red October was easily the best. Shame Alec Baldwin stepped down from the role, he was great as Ryan)

- Die Hard (I don't get the hatred for Die Hard with A Vengeance? I find it a really great Die Hard and i was glad it tried to give the audience something different other than being a retread of McClane against terrorists in such an such a place. Now as for the last 2 Die Hard movies.......jeez, talk about destroying a series).

- Back to the Future (I think Back to the Future III is pretty entertaining for what it is. It seemed to round out the series nicely.)

That leads me to:
- The Expendables
- The Karate Kid (1984)
- Beverly Hills Cop

All of which i found to be terrible from first movie to the last. The first Expendables was passable at best, but the last two were awful.
Those movies were listed when the thread title was "franchises that went too far" or something like that. So it wouldn't have mattered how many decent sequels were made, as long as the last one(s) sucked.
Old 08-26-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dugan
To each his own, but I don't think too many people are going to agree on this one.
I'm sure they won't.
Old 08-26-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Star Wars.