Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by a disappointing sequel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by a disappointing sequel

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Franchises That Have Gone Too Far?

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I get what the OP is trying to say: Franchises that kept going and going even though it stopped being good after the first or second sequel?
Yes, exactly. I had this discussion with someone at work yesterday which is why I thought I would present it here. Wording the the thread title seems to have made it difficult, though.
Old 08-20-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Nightmare on Elm Street is a weird case study too. It's actually the first sequel that's the real turd; the others range from decent to great.
Old 08-20-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Doesn't a crappy sequel pretty much confirm a franchise has gotten long in the tooth? Did we need Indy 4 or Godfather 3?

The Terminator and Alien franchises are the best examples I can think of. Two crappy Terminator sequels (with a possible turd on the way), two crappy direct-Alien sequels and two (three if you count Prometheus) crappy movies in the Alien universe.

I edited to reflect my point.
Not always. A single crappy sequel in a franchise is to be expected, there were plenty of shitty Star Trek movies but I think there's room for quite a few more good ones in the franchise. There have been more terrible Star Wars movies than good ones and people are still anticipating new ones.

I think it's more when you watch sequels that do nothing new at all, and are simply repeating themselves. Like most people commented on, horror sequels are extremely guilty of this. An entry can be terrible and keep interest in a franchise alive, similarly an entry can be great and signal the ending of one (not everything goes out with a whimper). I think there's room for more Indy movies, I don't think we need anymore Grudge movies (or Pulse ones, how that became a trilogy is beyond me).
Old 08-20-14, 09:58 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I like NOES 2. Fuck all y'all!
Old 08-20-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
That should be Franchises that have gone on too long, going "too far" makes it sound like it crossed a line in terms of taste.
Some franchises scrape the very bottom of the barrel in terms of story, continuity and the persuit of money that IMO their taste can be questionable.

Originally Posted by joliom
A Nightmare on Elm Street is a weird case study too. It's actually the first sequel that's the real turd; the others range from decent to great.
I believe the opposite.
Old 08-20-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Here it is: Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by nothing but crap sequels

Many would argue the Shrek films -- I would say the first movie was fine and the second was garbage and kept getting worse. But given that the sequel was pretty popular, very well-received, and made an unbelievably ridiculous amount of cash worldwide, it probably fits.
Old 08-20-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Definitely the first franchises that come to mind for me are Terminator, Aliens, Star Wars (which will hopefully redeem itself with Episode VII), and Spider-Man.

I don't know if I'll get stoned for saying this, but if The Hobbit at all counts as part of the LOTR franchise, then it gets my vote. I loved the original LOTR trilogy, but try as I might, I can't get myself to care for either of the Habbit movies so far.
Old 08-20-14, 11:00 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I like NOES 2. Fuck all y'all!
Yeah, there a few silly things in there (like the parakeet) but I think the whole thing has a great surreal nightmare-ish weirdness to it. It's the only sequel to keep that unpredictable true-to-dream atmosphere before they started going high concept with the dream sequences.
Old 08-20-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

The Child's Play series took an odd turn after part 3. The original and the first two sequels were straight up horror, after that they turned into a dark comedy series. Of course a lot of people enjoyed the "Chucky" movies more than the "Child's Play" series so who knows.
Old 08-20-14, 11:06 AM
RIP

Originally Posted by DRG
Yeah, there a few silly things in there (like the parakeet) but I think the whole thing has a great surreal nightmare-ish weirdness to it. It's the only sequel to keep that unpredictable true-to-dream atmosphere before they started going high concept with the dream sequences.
Absolutely. I don't dislike Parts 3 and 4, but as you said, it's the surreal nature of Part 2 that I really like. They started to get a bit silly after that one, as Freddy began his slow evolution into a cartoon character.
Old 08-20-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd argue Hellraiser as well. The original is a classic, the sequel is a visually striking and massively creepy. Afterward... poop.
Old 08-20-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I get what the OP is trying to say: Franchises that kept going and going even though it stopped being good after the first or second sequel?

My first thought was every horror movie franchise as well. Final Destination being my favorite of the group. First one was great and original (which is rare for horror movies). Second one was good too but not as good as the first. Now they've done six of them, I believe. While they've all been fun and watchable none of them come close to the original. If they never made a sequel to that move they would have been a lot better off.

The Fast and The Furious is an interesting case for this. The first one was a retelling of Point Break with cars. It wasn't great but it had a real story. The second one sucked. In the third one they just threw the franchise name on a completely different movie. And then they reinvented the franchise as action movies rather than being only about racing. It's worked out for them, but IMO, the first one is still the best.
Funny you mention Fast & Furious and Final destination together. I think both series mirror each other quite well. Fun little first entries. Part 2 in each amp up the fun and stakes making them better films, IMO. Then they both take a fucking nose dive for #3 & #4. Then they both redeemed themselves with #5.
Old 08-20-14, 11:47 AM
RIP

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'd argue Hellraiser as well. The original is a classic, the sequel is a visually striking and massively creepy. Afterward... poop.
God, how did I forget this series?
Old 08-20-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movie Franchises with One Sequel Too Many

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Sounds to me like Terminator shouldn't count, because it's had two--soon to be three--sequels too many. Indiana Jones is a good example, there was a series with three good to great entries (I know some people have issued with Last Crusade but I'll be damned if it isn't a ton of fun), and then out of nowhere we get this giant stinker.
There is only one good Indiana Jones movie, and that's the first one. Last Crusade was nothing but a weak retread of Raiders and Temple of Doom is the most mind-bogglingly racist film of the last forty years. Crystal Skull is par for the course.
Old 08-20-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Temple of Doom is the most mind-bogglingly racist film of the last forty years
Nope.

Old 08-20-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Nope.

I was about to mention Driving Miss Daisy until you posted this putrid piece of shit. God I hate that movie.
Old 08-20-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by a disappointing seq

Superman 3 first came to mind. I LOVED Superman I & II as a kid, and remember renting Superman III on VHS with my brother and we both thought it was horrendous. I would like to revisit it someday to see if its as bad as I remember.
Old 08-20-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Great movies with a great sequel, which were then followed by a disappointing seq

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Superman 3 first came to mind. I LOVED Superman I & II as a kid, and remember renting Superman III on VHS with my brother and we both thought it was horrendous. I would like to revisit it someday to see if its as bad as I remember.
Yes, this is a great example. Although Superman Returns is probably considered miles above Superman III and IV, the first two films are easily the best of that series.
Old 08-20-14, 01:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Sometimes sequels are a worthy addition to a film, and sometimes they push the envelope in to "Why the hell did they bother making more of these?" territory.
I think Thor: Dark World is a good example of the latter.
Old 08-20-14, 02:03 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I like Alien 3. Fuck all y'all!
Seconded.
Old 08-20-14, 02:05 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Batman Begins--Good
The Dark Knight--AMAZING!
The Dark Knight Rises--Ugggh
Old 08-20-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I would argue PLANET OF THE APES (1968) after the first sequel (1970) and I would include the reboots as going off the rails, too, since I don't care how much you all liked DAWN (which I didn't see because I hated RISE so much).

One can certainly argue STAR WARS after EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (which Joliom mentioned).
I love Escape and Conquest. Battle sucked so four out of five isn't a bad run. I love the new rebooted series too.
Old 08-20-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I know a lot of folks here didn't care for the Pirates sequels, but I thought they were decent enough while the 4th movie really took a further dive in quality.
Old 08-20-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I'd think it's easier to try to compile a list of worthwhile third movies (where the first two were good). Most of the time the second movie is a cash in, sometimes it turns out to be arguably the best in the series (Aliens, T2). But the third is almost always either a cash in or the original director/creator/cast is really losing momentum (excepting stuff like Harry Potter or LoTR where they're following books).
Old 08-20-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
Most of the time the second movie is a cash in, sometimes it turns out to be arguably the best in the series (The Godfather II).
Fixed

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.