Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kickboxer: Vengeance (2016, D: Stockwell) -- S: Moussi, Bautista, Van Damme

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kickboxer: Vengeance (2016, D: Stockwell) -- S: Moussi, Bautista, Van Damme

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Kickboxer: Vengeance (2016, D: Stockwell) -- S: Moussi, Bautista, Van Damme

The sequel is currently in production.

http://moviehole.net/2016107398chris...-together-last

Christopher Lambert and Mike Tyson are part of the cast.
Old 08-16-16, 11:46 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I just watched the original recently. Talk about a movie that could definitely benefit from a remake.
Old 08-16-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

A nit-pick... but wouldn't you align the names of the people over top of the actual person?? That poster drives me crazy.

And JCVD must look ROUGH if he has to wear sunglasses in a photo-shopped picture.
Old 08-16-16, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's looked rough for years.
Old 08-17-16, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rob V
A nit-pick... but wouldn't you align the names of the people over top of the actual person?? That poster drives me crazy.

And JCVD must look ROUGH if he has to wear sunglasses in a photo-shopped picture.
I think the text order you see in the poster is determined by SAG (Screen Actors Guild) in how they are credited in the movie. That takes precedent over how some photoshop artist positions the bodies.
Old 08-17-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
I just watched the original recently. Talk about a movie that could definitely benefit from a remake.
Yeah I just saw the 1st movie again recently too and it's incredibly dated. The Nok Suh Kow finale fight scene is incredibly cheesy and poorly choreographed.
Old 08-26-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

http://cityonfire.com/kickboxer-vengeance-2016-review/

A little bit of a long read, but this reviewer was thorough and gave it a 7 out of 10.
Old 08-26-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V

Ha! They don't even align the names properly on big budget studio productions let-alone a DTV flick.
Old 09-02-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Must be B-movie Friday with this and Skiptrace coming out on VOD. But yeah, new releases! Yaaah!
Old 09-02-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Just watched this on Playstation video. It cost $7

Anyways, if you're interested in seeing it, keep your expectations really low. It has a total B/C movie feel to it. Acting is kind of rough, especially the lead played by Alain Moussi. Aside from Van Damme, most of the other actors here are former stuntmen or MMA fighters. There are a few local Thai actors in it. Also, the editing is very choppy. The first few scenes had no flow to it. Wasn't really impressed with the fight choreography either. Baustista playing Tong Po was kind of weird. Sure he had the roided out body, but he didn't look one bit Thai.

I don't know. I really wanted to like it for the nostalgia factor, but thought it was only watchable at best. I can see how this was a problem-filled production. Actually surprised the production budget for this was around $17M. Felt a lot less. There are some reports that Stockwell never finished directing the movie and the 2nd Unit director finished the production.

There is a really hot Thai-British actress, who plays Moussi's love interest. She plays a local Thai cop investigating Tong Po. But she has no chemistry with Moussi. Their sex scenes feel really forced.

They even tried to re-create the big "Nok Suh Kow" finale fight at the end. Didn't remotely have the same cheesiness of it. Shame that this was Darren Shahlavi's last film. I can see why Scott Adkins passed on playing his part. It was very small.

I am kind of curious to see what they do with the sequel. Maybe they'll be able to improve on this. For a 90 minute movie (85 with no credits), it's surprisingly slow.

Best part was the end credits scene where they pay homage to that cheesy Van Damme dance number from the original.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-03-16 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-03-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rented this last night after going back and forth between Blood Father and this. Overall this movie is, not very good at all.

It's very slow moving and yet there really is almost no character development at all. I don't expect movies like this to have deep plots or characters but Kurt and Eric spend so little time together that you don't really see them form a brotherly bond at all. Gina Carano's character is flimsy at best and seems to have no real motivation for staging fights and fighters to get killed by Tong Po. GSP seems to have had a bigger part that was cut out since he shows up at the final fight with his arm in a sling. Darren probably doesn't even have five minutes of screen time before being killed off. The lead is pretty uncharismatic. Wasn't impressed by him or his moves. He also has a love interest that he seems to have no charisma with.

The two who probably come out of this the best are Batista and Van Damme. Batista looks the part but isn't able to convince with his acting and doesn't have the scary appearance that Michael Qissi had in the first one. Van Damme steals the show even though he appears to be dubbed sometimes. He's still in good shape and has the moves which makes you wish he was the lead instead.

The fight scenes are nothing special. Maybe one ok one on the street but that's it. The final fight with Tong Po is really disappoint also. It's three rounds and is just kind of dull even if it does eventually feature swords and broken glass.

Overall this isn't very good. The original hasn't aged well but Van Damme had good charisma, good moves and some nice scenery. This really has none of that and watching the final cut it's easy to believe it had behind the scenes trouble. If you want to watch it watch it, but have your expectation really, really, really low. 2/5. The end credits are kind of fun though.

Last edited by robin2099; 09-03-16 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

http://instantwatcher.com/title/8010...e=New%20Titles

Headsup!! This is now on Netflix as of today.

So all of you who didn't buy the BD or rent it and have 90 minutes to kill, here's your chance!!