Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by taffer
This.

And I also do NOT want Grant Morrison or Frank Miller writing these movies.

Morrison is the most overrated writer of the last decade. His work just screams, "Hey look at me. I am trying to be intelligent, but I am really just a convoluted mess." It reminds me of Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear video games.

Miller was great in the 70s and 80s, but he hasn't done anything good since. His recent stuff such as All-Star Batman is just completely atrocious. It's not even worth a 0/10. It should get negative points because it is that bad. It reminds me of that scene from Billy Madison, "Everyone in this room is now dumber..."
Holy crap, don't take everything so literally. I'm not advocating that Grant Morrison or Frank Miller write these f'ing movies. I'm advocating that someone with a unique vision be given the creative freedom to make a movie that isn't bound by the rigid constrictions of a shared universe and inevitable sequels/crossovers. They did that with Nolan and it was a massive success.

As far as the Marvel movies are concerned, we'll have to agree to disagree. In my opinion they all have a similar look/feel/tone and pretty much exist purely as a means to bridge the gap to the next chapter. They're exactly like comic books in that way. They're fun, but once the credits roll, it's on to the next one. One of the reasons I really appreciated The Wolverine was that it at least made an attempt to stand apart from the previous X-Men movies and do it's own thing both in scale and in tone. Ultimately it seems like Fox got cold feet and wouldn't commit to that choice 100%, but there were glimmers of something different.
Old 10-16-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I'm pretty happy that Marvel/Disney doesn't control the X-Men's film rights, if for the sake of having a different vibe in those films. The one property Marvel does need to get back is the Fantastic Four, I have no doubt they could make it great.
Old 10-16-14, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm pretty happy that Marvel/Disney doesn't control the X-Men's film rights, if for the sake of having a different vibe in those films. The one property Marvel does need to get back is the Fantastic Four, I have no doubt they could make it great.
I always thought the X-Men were better off separated from the rest of the Marvel universe. The whole mutant hysteria thing with everyone hating and fearing mutants doesn't work well in a world with tons of other superpowered people. They hate mutants but not the Avengers or Fantastic Four? It makes no sense.

So I prefer Fox keep the X-Men movie rights. They have done well with that franchise. They have made seven movies and only two have been stinkers. Most franchises cannot claim that much success.

I do wish Marvel would get the Fantastic Four back though. Not so much for the FF themselves, but more for the villains such as Dr Doom and Galactus that Marvel would then be able to use.
Old 10-16-14, 11:38 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This.

And I also do NOT want Grant Morrison or Frank Miller writing these movies.

Morrison is the most overrated writer of the last decade. His work just screams, "Hey look at me. I am trying to be intelligent, but I am really just a convoluted mess." It reminds me of Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear video games.

Miller was great in the 70s and 80s, but he hasn't done anything good since. His recent stuff such as All-Star Batman is just completely atrocious. It's not even worth a 0/10. It should get negative points because it is that bad. It reminds me of that scene from Billy Madison, "Everyone in this room is now dumber..."
Miller needs to be kept far away from anything but a minimally involved consulting role. Both his film and comic output have been mixed in the past decade. IMO, he's getting work based on his mid 80s work (Wolverine, Daredevil, Dark Knight Returns).

Michael Chabon would be an interesting voice as a writer. He's a talented writer who also gets comic books and co-wrote Spiderman 2. I would like to see his take on Captain America.

Neil Gaiman has some relationship with Marvel and has written for them in the past, specifically Marvel 1602. He's also worked in film and TV. I'd like to see his take on Guardians 2 or the Infinity Stones stories. My main concern with him is his chronic inability to stay on deadlines, something that dates back to the latter part of the Sandman, when monthlies became bi-monthlies. Sandman Overture is now being released every four months instead of every other month. He also has a specific voice that might not be a great fit within the MCU script process.
Old 10-16-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never read a Millar comic that I've liked before. Morrison I do sometimes like, though at others, I'm not sure if I'm just not intelligent enough to grasp it (which is a grade A possibility), or if it's too convoluted tor me to care. But some of his work I've read (his JLA run, for instance), I've quite liked. He's imaginative, I'll give him that. I don't know much about the MGS games. My friends tried to explain their mythology to me once, but it gave me a headache, so I gave up . Personally, if we're going to go with a comics writer, I'd say Mark Waid or Geoff Johns, and the latter has a background in screenwriting and has teleplays to his name already and worked on developing shows. Obviously, TV and film are different, but the disciplines are probably closer than film and comics.
Old 10-17-14, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think more people would like Morrison's writing if it came with Cliff notes.
Old 10-17-14, 01:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always thought the X-Men were better off separated from the rest of the Marvel universe. The whole mutant hysteria thing with everyone hating and fearing mutants doesn't work well in a world with tons of other superpowered people. They hate mutants but not the Avengers or Fantastic Four? It makes no sense.

So I prefer Fox keep the X-Men movie rights. They have done well with that franchise. They have made seven movies and only two have been stinkers. Most franchises cannot claim that much success.

I do wish Marvel would get the Fantastic Four back though. Not so much for the FF themselves, but more for the villains such as Dr Doom and Galactus that Marvel would then be able to use.
Made sense in the comics. People born wildly different from human.

Not hating the Avengers or the FF cuz they themselves came more forward and were just heroes. Mutants came with the stigma of kids/people not controlling their abilities in some form, looking much different, etc. Essentially anything and everything that can go wrong with being born different but now you've these abilities which can terrify people. That fear made sense cuz people tend to fear the different. And especially those that come in a mass quantity of people...even though they may still be a minority of sorts. Just depends on the exposure on the culture from what history has shown *shrugs shoulders* Then you've got these mutants (at times pushed into) being bad people by their own negative experiences. Which just adds fuel to the already burning fire. The mutant hate vs. hated upon superhuman for being superhuman made sense to me.

We did get some hate for the "good" superhuman but it was it's own hate compared to the mutant.

I do like the tone Singer brought for the X films though. They're more dramatic for it even with all the stuff going on. I never really paid attention to it till his recent X film.
Old 10-17-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Made sense in the comics. People born wildly different from human.

Not hating the Avengers or the FF cuz they themselves came more forward and were just heroes. Mutants came with the stigma of kids/people not controlling their abilities in some form, looking much different, etc. Essentially anything and everything that can go wrong with being born different but now you've these abilities which can terrify people. That fear made sense cuz people tend to fear the different. And especially those that come in a mass quantity of people...even though they may still be a minority of sorts. Just depends on the exposure on the culture from what history has shown *shrugs shoulders* Then you've got these mutants (at times pushed into) being bad people by their own negative experiences. Which just adds fuel to the already burning fire. The mutant hate vs. hated upon superhuman for being superhuman made sense to me.

We did get some hate for the "good" superhuman but it was it's own hate compared to the mutant.

I do like the tone Singer brought for the X films though. They're more dramatic for it even with all the stuff going on. I never really paid attention to it till his recent X film.
I still think it barely made sense in the comics. It makes some sense on a micro level. I can see why the one mutant in a small town would be looked down on and feared or even the weird looking guy in the office. But in the larger superhero world of Marvel Comics? Not so much. It's not like the general population would be able to distinguish between a mutant and non-mutant superhero. That's one of the reasons why the Civil War storyline in the comics didn't work for me. It's not surprising that the X-Men were barely involved in that event. The writers obviously didn't want to have to address the kind of questions it would raise by having them around.
Old 10-17-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only difference I ever could figure out between a random superhero and your average mutant in the Marvel universe is that most of the superheroes were fully-grown adults like Captain America. The average mutant was a youngish teen kid without full control of their powers. It would pose the same kind of challenges that extremely intelligent children face in a normal school environment with average kids, only amplified.
Old 10-20-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Jason Momoa Talks 'Aquaman' Plans, Confirms 'Justice League' Appearance
10:54 AM PDT 10/20/2014 by Graeme McMillan

Although he wasn’t mentioned in Warner Bros.’ official announcement for Justice League Part One or Part Two, Jason Momoa confirmed this weekend that he’ll be appearing as Aquaman in the 2017 superhero team-up — although that’s about all that he can say about the role, it seems.

“I don’t know the director [of the 2018 Aquaman solo movie]. I know about as much as you guys know,” the actor said during an appearance at the Walker Stalker Con in Atlanta. “I know the Justice League will come first. That’s really what we’re going to focus on.”

Momoa went on to say that he wasn’t sure if the solo movie “will be [set] prior to Justice League or post. I don’t know too much about it. It will probably be where he came from. It will probably be his whole origin story, I would think.”
Underscoring the in-process nature of the process, Momoa responded to a question about a possible Aquaman romance by saying “I don’t think there will be a romance any time soon in Justice League. I think we’re going to be kicking some ass. But I don’t know for sure, because there’s no script yet.”

The actor did manage to explain why he’d denied being connected to the role prior to Warners’ announcement last week. “You know, you audition and stuff like that, but the fact is you’ve just got to keep it quiet,” he said. “You know what I mean, I was just trying to respect Warner Bros. and everyone’s wishes. I’m really, really happy that I don’t have to be quiet anymore, because that’s really hard for me.”

Justice League Part One is scheduled for release Summer 2017.
Old 10-20-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Cross posting this, but there's a lot of comic book movies coming.

Spoiler:
Old 10-31-14, 11:02 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Ever since The Flash was announced as a movie starring Ezra Miller, fans and members of the comics community have been a bit...unsettled...about the prospect of having a feature film come along, with controversial casting, so soon after Grant Gustin's TV series debuted to spectacular ratings, critical acclaim and the kind of unconditional fan love usually reserved for Guardians of the Galaxy.

The talent involved, though, have stayed fairly quiet -- and for obvious reasons. But in a new interview with The Wall Street Journal, Arrow star Stephen Amell had some thoughts on what shape the DC Cinematic Universe should take.

Spoilers: he would want in, should there be a Green Arrow movie -- and thinks Gustin deserved a shot, too -- but he's also more excited about making several movies' worth of entertaining stories on Arrow every year than he would be for making a couple of hours every three years.

Here's a snippet from the interview, with the pertinent questions and answers included:

We’ve heard so much in recent weeks about Marvel and DC announcing so many comic book movies over the next few years. Are you ready for a Green Arrow movie?
I am completely indifferent. First of all, wanting a movie undersells the idea that making 23 episodes a year isn’t a huge achievement. It is and I would put that degree of difficulty up against any feature film that has ever been made...except Lord of the Rings and that gigantic Peter Jackson-led undertaking… and maybe Titanic. But, other than those two movies, I’d put making 23 hours of interesting content in a TV season up against anything on the film side. It is difficult to me to want or envision an Arrow movie when we are shooting the 10th episode of our third season with 13 more episodes to go and in all likelihood 3 more seasons on the other side of that. I’m interested in keeping that content fresh. Once we get to the end of that road, maybe then I’ll shift my focus.

There was some talk and controversy about the fact that Grant Gustin is doing the “Flash” TV show but was not named the Flash for the “Flash” movie. If Green Arrow was going to be on screen, do you feel like it should be you?
Yeah. Of course. And I feel like it should be Grant doing the movie. But the important thing to remember is just because Grant Gustin plays the part of Barry Allen doesn’t mean Ezra Miller can’t also play Barry Allen. There can be different interpretations of the character. Anyone who is a fan of the comics knows the Flash character is one of the forces that leads to parallel universes. And who knows, they might find a fantastic actor to play Oliver Queen on the feature side who has a different take on the character. I’m certainly a departure from the typical Oliver Queen from the comic books. I just think that everybody needs to be patient with the whole thing. The fact that DC and Warner have announced all these comic book features is nothing but good for business.

As you can tell from Amell's tone, he isn't upset...but that line -- "I feel like it should be Grant doing the movie" -- will likely echo with fandom for a while to come.

The Flash airs Tuesday nights at 8 p.m. ET/PT on The CW. Arrow airs Wednesdays at the same bat-time, same bat-channel. The Flash feature film is due in theaters in 2018.
Old 10-31-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Cross posting this, but there's a lot of comic book movies coming.

Spoiler:
Has this been updated by whoever made this?
Old 10-31-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Has this been updated by whoever made this?
Yes, i've reposted it in a couple of the other threads after the Marvel announcements.
Old 10-31-14, 07:53 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm so glad Brandon Routh has had a pretty ordinary career after Superman Returns (mainly been doing a bit of crap on TV , no other big movie roles)

He really deserves it for that shitty movie
Old 10-31-14, 08:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Still better than that abortion called Man of Steel.
Old 10-31-14, 08:56 PM
Banned

Eh. I dunno. It's its own mixed bag. I could probably tolerate it better cuz Singer can get emotion from his characters. Eh. Hrm. I am less displeased with SR, I think. In comparing the two... MoS is a much stupider film. I do like it. It's just.... pretty stupid and lacks any unique positives in its storytelling.
Old 10-31-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

They both have their flaws (MoS: nonsense on Krypton for an hour, color palette, fist fight destroying Metropolis, Zod dipping) but it's easier to point out the few positives for S:R (plane sequence, bullet to the eye, William's theme). So MoS's positive's outweigh the few positives SR had going for it.

And really of all the negatives levied against MoS, none come close to SR using a land plot with Lex Luthor for the fifth time.
Old 10-31-14, 11:57 PM
Banned

True. That and the kid. And Luthor being so out dated of a concept himself.
Old 11-01-14, 12:04 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

But who would argue that regardless of the faults of MOS, Cavill is a much much much better Kent/Superman moving forward than Routh could ever dream of being and with the right story and direction could own the role at least upto 85% of the level of Downey/Ironman, Bale/Dark Knight or Jackman/Wolverine
Old 11-01-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WW Trilogy starting in the 20s would be cool, no Super has ever been done in that time frame.

Bring on the BvS and the JL.

The actor for the Flash is a terrible pick.

More Movies I want to see from DC:
1. Legion of Super Heroes
2. Doom Patrol
3. Metal Men
4. Make Flash and GL a team up
5. Black Lightning
6. Earth 2
7. Teen Titans or Young Justice (But, not for 6 or 7 years)
Old 11-01-14, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
But who would argue that regardless of the faults of MOS, Cavill is a much much much better Kent/Superman moving forward than Routh could ever dream of being and with the right story and direction could own the role at least upto 85% of the level of Downey/Ironman, Bale/Dark Knight or Jackman/Wolverine
I wouldn't blame Routh at all. He didn't have a lot to do. And isn't his fault for that's all Singer and whoever scripted it.
Old 11-01-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I thought Routh was okay and was open to him returning but Cavill was excellent. Glad they went with someone new.
Old 11-01-14, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I'm so glad Brandon Routh has had a pretty ordinary career after Superman Returns (mainly been doing a bit of crap on TV , no other big movie roles)

He really deserves it for that shitty movie
I must have missed that he wrote the script, directed and cast Superman Returns.
Old 11-01-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

While I don't blame Routh for Superman Returns, he doesn't have much acting ability judging by what i've seen him in since then.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.