Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by james2025a
I think the notions put forward by Alan Moore translate very well to what the movie companies are doing with their licenses. Marvel are building a mythology and ensuring that threads between characters link successfully and that this continues throughout their future productions. DC/WB seems to be handling this less well. They are rebooting Batman for the third time in 17 years and Superman for the second time in less than 10 years. I think the more characters are rebooted, repeated or rehashed the less inclined audiences are to embrace them. We see this with a character like Spiderman. I hope DC has a more solid game plan going forward, but i think throwing all their main characters into the boiling pot at the same time is not the best of first steps.
Superman hasn't been rebooted twice. We had Donner's Superman and then Man of Steel. That's one reboot. Superman Returns wasn't a reboot. It was in the Donner continuity.

Batman has been rebooted twice, not three times. Burton/Schumacher to Nolan to Man of Steel is two reboots.

Also, using Spider-Man as an example of people hating reboots is a poor choice. People just hate bad movies period, and other than Spider-Man 2, the Spider-Man movies haven't really been that good.

Batman Begins was a good reboot, and people loved it. X-Men First Class was a quasi-reboot, and it was well received as well. So saying people hate reboots is not really accurate.

People are just getting tired of Spider-Man because those movies have a poor track record period; it's not really related to it being rebooted at all.
Old 09-05-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I think the notions put forward by Alan Moore translate very well to what the movie companies are doing with their licenses. Marvel are building a mythology and ensuring that threads between characters link successfully and that this continues throughout their future productions. DC/WB seems to be handling this less well. They are rebooting Batman for the third time in 17 years and Superman for the second time in less than 10 years. I think the more characters are rebooted, repeated or rehashed the less inclined audiences are to embrace them. We see this with a character like Spiderman. I hope DC has a more solid game plan going forward, but i think throwing all their main characters into the boiling pot at the same time is not the best of first steps.
Superman was rebooted for one reason, they needed to have leverage in the legal battle against his creators' families over ownership. There was one scenario where they were going to lose the rights to his iconic design elements.
Old 09-05-14, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Superman was rebooted for one reason, they needed to have leverage in the legal battle against his creators' families over ownership. There was one scenario where they were going to lose the rights to his iconic design elements.
People claim this, but I have never seen proof. DC rebooted the whole DCU, not just Superman. The New 52 was a complete reboot of everything. The New 52 was done because sales were extremely poor. Using gimmicks like relaunching with shiny new #1 issues and killing off characters is a gimmick to boost sales that has been in use since the 1990s.
Old 09-05-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Apparently the plan was to reboot Superman (maybe some others), because Morrison's plot for Action was supposedly done before the new 52 came about... maybe this was because of the lawsuit, who knows? But poor sales caused them to do a full reboot (well, not really, because of Johns on GL and Morrison on Bats, but close enough) out of Flashpoint. The problem in my eyes was that it was so sudden, and unlike, say, Shooter's early Valiant, poorly mapped out (hence the two Lobos, the contradictions, hiring Liefeld, etc.), with what seemed like constant editorial interference to try to smooth things out. But hey, it did boost sales, and that's what mattered to them. Plus they got the underwear-on-the-outside look off of Superman in time for MoS.
Old 09-05-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Superman hasn't been rebooted twice. We had Donner's Superman and then Man of Steel. That's one reboot. Superman Returns wasn't a reboot. It was in the Donner continuity.
Superman Returns was at least a soft reboot, asking us to disregard the last two movies in the previous series.
Old 09-05-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Batman has been rebooted twice, not three times. Burton/Schumacher to Nolan to Man of Steel is two reboots.

Also, using Spider-Man as an example of people hating reboots is a poor choice. People just hate bad movies period, and other than Spider-Man 2, the Spider-Man movies haven't really been that good.

Batman Begins was a good reboot, and people loved it. X-Men First Class was a quasi-reboot, and it was well received as well. So saying people hate reboots is not really accurate.

People are just getting tired of Spider-Man because those movies have a poor track record period; it's not really related to it being rebooted at all.

1. Superman Returns might have been a continuation in idea, but most saw it as a reboot. Totally new cast...yeah....thats a reboot thanks.

2. Batman has been rebooted 3 times. The Burton/Schumacher, Nolan and now the Snyder version. Thats 3.

3. You missed my main point, being that its better to build a universe of characters with a cohesive plan rather than throw them all together without thinking too much about giving each character time to grow and their subsequent space within the world you are creating and their relationships with other characters.

And i am not saying that all reboots can be bad, i am saying that people get tired quicker when they keep reseting characters, rather than trying to iron out issues and make the character between developed on the big screen.
Old 09-05-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2. Batman has been rebooted 3 times. The Burton/Schumacher, Nolan and now the Snyder version. Thats 3.
I think he meant that Burton/Schumacher wasn't really rebooting from a previously launched franchise. They were the baseline so the next 2 are the reboots.
Old 09-05-14, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I think he meant that Burton/Schumacher wasn't really rebooting from a previously launched franchise. They were the baseline so the next 2 are the reboots.
Yes, that is what I meant.
Old 09-05-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe he meant 3rd incarnation, not reboot...
Old 09-05-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I always just thought Superman was rebooted simply because fans didn't really care much for Superman Returns
Old 09-09-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Future Warner/DC Comics Movies?

RUMOR from "Latino-Review" that DC/WB is planning a "Legion of Super-Hero" Movie as one of the 9 Dates they have reserved for future movies.
-Not sure how true it is, but please let it be true.

Started reading LoSH since Mike Grell took over in 1974 and have kept up with them throughout my life.

I have saying for about a year now that DC need to make this movie.

So many things they can do with the Legion...
-Origin Story
-SO many different characters and planets to work with
-Space Battles
-"espionage squad"
-Time travel (Time Trapper, that would be a great "End Credit" to see him with the Sand Glass)
-Supergirl
-Entire Universe in peril
-Legion of Super-Villians (Not the 1st movie, 2nd or 3rd)
-Fatal Five (great bad guys)
-Science Police
-Great Space Ship design (the one from the early 70s)
-Substitute Legion of Super-Hero's (Very funny and with heart)
-Tryouts to become apart of the Legion (Very funny and Cool)
-SO MUCH MORE

I would take this over any other product from Marvel or DC, it is just my personal favorite.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 09-09-14 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Batman in 2019? From Latino Review so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/ho...fflecks-batman

According to sources, I'm hearing the studio is eyeing 2019 for the standalone Batman film and I even got a working title: THE BATMAN.

Let's break it down. Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice League should be ending production in December, then they break for the holidays and go into production on Justice League in the winter of 2015.

Affleck then takes a break from donning the cape and in the summer of 2015, he writes, directs, and stars in his period gangster film Live By Night. The film's scheduled to hit theaters in October 2016. The studio has the time after Live By Night's release to develop the screenplay to the standalone Batman film ready to start production either in 2017 or 2018. It wouldn't surprise me if they actively start developing the script after Justice League or sooner.
Old 09-29-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The Batman in 2019? From Latino Review so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/ho...fflecks-batman
And it could be worth something. LR has been right in the past on many scoops.
Old 09-29-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree, I just mentioned that since I recall some people complaining about rumors from there.
Old 09-29-14, 05:26 PM
Banned

2019 is five years away. I kind of doubt the rumor because I doubt WB wants to go five years with no solo Batman movie. I would expect a solo Batman movie before the Justice League movie. Batman in 2017 and Justice League in 2018 probably.
Old 09-29-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

2019 is five years away. I kind of doubt the rumor because I doubt WB wants to go five years with no solo Batman movie. I would expect a solo Batman movie before the Justice League movie. Batman in 2017 and Justice League in 2018 probably.
Batman v Superman isn't until 2016 though, so only 3 years from that movie's release. And it seems like it would line up with the rumored schedule of DC movies.
Old 09-29-14, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Batman v Superman isn't until 2016 though, so only 3 years from that movie's release. And it seems like it would line up with the rumored schedule of DC movies.
BvS isn't a solo Batman movie though. It's more like Justice League Year Zero. I would expect WB would want a solo Batman movie sooner than later.

Didn't WB show a rough sketch a few months ago that looked similar to Marvel's approach with two or three movies every year? So something like BvS in 2016, Batman in 2017, JL in 2018 makes sense.

Plus, given Affleck's age, if WB wants a solo Batman trilogy out of him then they need to get started ASAP.

Last edited by taffer; 09-29-14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, BvS in 2016, Batman in 2017, JL in 2018.

Didn't WB show a rough sketch a few months ago that looked similar to Marvel's approach with two or three movies every year?
Yeah, i'm just saying that 5 years without a solo Batman movie is arbitrary since the rebooted Batman doesn't kick off until 2016 anyway. And it would be 7 years from Dark Knight Rises.

And yes, the rough sketch is what I was referring to. It's the first post of the thread.
Old 09-29-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

BvS isn't a solo Batman movie though. It's more like Justice League Year Zero. I would expect WB would want a solo Batman movie sooner than later.

Didn't WB show a rough sketch a few months ago that looked similar to Marvel's approach with two or three movies every year? So something like BvS in 2016, Batman in 2017, JL in 2018 makes sense.

Plus, given Affleck's age, if WB wants a new solo Batman trilogy out of him they need to get going ASAP.
Since you edited your post...

I'm sure a lot of us thought WB would have expected a solo Batman movie sooner, but then again a lot of their decisions don't seem to make a lot of sense to fans. I wouldn't think they would wait 3 years from Man of Steel for a follow up or cram a bunch of cameos and heroes into the next movie either, but here we are.

2017 seems like wishful thinking and would be nice, but doesn't line up with all the rumors we've seen. And as the article said, Affleck has his own other projects he'll be working on.
Old 10-15-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

FINALLY found this thread. News from Warner's CEO about DC's output up to 2020.

Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara announced planes for a two-part Justice League movie along with six other films.

The Justice League will be directed by Zack Snyder and broken into two parts with the first being released in 2017 and the second 2019.

The rest of the films are as follows:

Staring in 2016 will be The Suicide Squad. This is in discussion with 4 A-list stars according to the announcement.

In 2017 will be Justice League pt 1 and Wonder Woman.

2018 will bring us The Flash and Aquaman.

2019 gets Shazam (with Duane Johnson) and Justice League pt 2

And finally 2020 gets Cyborg and Green Lantern.

Deadline.com
Old 10-15-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

‘The Flash’ Movie to Star Ezra Miller, Out in 2018
October 15, 2014 | 09:19AM PT Justin Kroll

Hot on the heels of DC Comics icon “The Flash’s” small-screen success on The CW, Warner Bros. has confirmed that a standalone “Flash” movie is coming in 2018. The film will be unaffiliated with The CW series and will feature a new actor in the role: Ezra Miller.

During the Time Warner earnings meeting Warner Bros. Chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara announced “The Flash” would bow in 2018.

No writer or director are attached at this time. Bewkes also announced that a movie focused on DC Comics’ Aquaman will bow in 2018 with Jason Momoa set to star.

“The Flash” story revolves around Barry Allen, a scientist who awakes from a coma and is gifted with the power of super speed. Allen is a part of the Justice League and it is expected that Miller will have some sort of cameo in the upcoming pic “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” where that team is likely to be unveiled.

Warner Bros. also announced several other films scheduled to bow in the next several years including a “Wonder Woman” movie slated for 2017 and “Justice League: Part 2″ in 2019.

Grant Gustin stars as the Scarlet Speedster in the recently-launched CW “Flash” series, which set ratings records for the network in last week’s debut.

Miller was most recently seen in “Madame Bovary.” He is repped by Paradigm.
Old 10-15-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

WB just said that the schedule does not include the upcoming solo Batman & Superman films, so there's even more.

I wonder if they could be filming all this shit at once like Lord of the Rings and just release the films whenever.

Last edited by stingermck; 10-15-14 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-15-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't have much hope for the DC Cinematic Universe. They seem to be casting people for their looks more than their acting range
Old 10-15-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, we got the Wonder Woman announcement that everyone's been bitching about.
Old 10-15-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yup WW announced before Marvel announces a female lead.
Aquaman announced and Namor has never been mentioned on the Marvel side.
And I bet Suicide Squad is released before Sinister Six.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.