Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Who is the Clint Eastwood-looking guy in the middle-left of that fan art?
Old 09-27-15, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Who is the Clint Eastwood-looking guy in the middle-left of that fan art?
Jonah Hex played by Josh Brolin...
Old 09-27-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks. I don't know if I ever got around to seeing that one.
Old 09-27-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

You aren't missing much. Pretty shitty film.
Old 09-28-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's amazing that a film that's barely 81 minutes can feel so long.
Old 05-11-16, 01:48 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

A shared cinematic universe is, to use a cliche, like a big ass boat. It's hard to turn a big ass boat - you really have to swing that sucker around, and it can take some time. The DC Movieverse is, in this case, the big ass boat, and I keep hearing whispers that it's getting reoriented in the wake of Batman v Superman being what it is (ie, bad).

I don't know how that's going to shake out when it comes to Justice League - the captain who was already mis-steering that boat is still steering that one! - but I think we will see that shift happening in some of the DC solo movies that are coming up. While The Flash lost director Seth Grahame-Smith WB is sticking with his script (for now, there will be rewrites as there always are rewrites), and that script is lighter and poppier, focusing on the friendship of The Flash and Cyborg, who hit it off in Justice League. Wonder Woman, I hear, is a very hopeful movie, flying in the face of the cynicism of Batman v Superman. And Warner Bros is developing another movie that definitely doesn't fit into the tone of the DC Movieverse as established: Booster Gold.

Zack Stentz, who has credits on movies like Thor, the new Power Rangers and Agent Cody Banks, is working on the script right now. I had heard that Greg Berlanti, the guy who runs the (tonally correct) DC TVverse is producing, and a recent appearance by Stentz on the "Fatman on Batman" podcast bears this out. Thanks to Cleats and Capes for listening to the podcast and picking out a couple of facts that back up everything I've heard: Stentz is writing Booster Gold with Berlanti producing and possibly interested in directing.

Booster Gold is a great character. He's an ex-athelete turned security guard in the future who steals a time machine (and a couple of superheroic objects, like a Legion of Superheroes flight ring) and comes back to the modern day intending to use his future knowledge and tech to become rich and famous. Callow, selfish and more than a little dopey, Booster's journey is from buffoon to true hero. In the classic 80s run of Justice League International he became best friends with Blue Beetle, and the two hatched harebrained schemes and plans and shared many a hearty "Bwa-ha-ha!" over the years.

Booster is very, very different from what we've seen in the DC Movieverse so far, and the fact that this movie is even in development gives me hope and backs up the whispers I have heard that Warner Bros - and especially Ben Affleck - are very hip to what went wrong with BvS, and that the opportunity exists to fix the larger universe.

I don't know what the status of Booster Gold is right now (it seems to be on hold), and I think it's a solo movie - ie, not the Blue and Gold buddy movie many have wanted - but the fact that it's managed to be in development at all during the Reign of Snyder is really impressive. I think there's an opening at WB where Booster Gold could suddenly see its fortunes changing, and getting closer to being a real movie.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/...ter-gold-movie
Old 05-11-16, 01:56 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Armie Hammer could use the boost
Old 05-11-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
Armie Hammer could use the boost
Him or his twin brother.
Old 05-11-16, 02:35 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

^^Blue and Gold!
Old 05-11-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Yay, I am looking forward to a Booster Gold movie just as much as the Cyborg movie. Which is to say not at all.
Old 05-11-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Booster Gold could be DC's Deadpool. Sort of. Not as graphic or sexualized, but a real irreverent, off the wall movie. I'd love to see it.
Old 05-11-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd love to see Booster Gold too, completely outside of the current tone that the other DC movies are going for though. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to realize that.
Old 05-11-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Booster Gold?

They're still throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Look, guys, you need to establish your universe with the big guns... superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Justice League... before you start looking at c-listers.
Old 05-11-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Booster Gold?

Look, guys, you need to establish your universe with the big guns... superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Justice League... before you start looking at c-listers.
Marvel didn't...
Old 05-11-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just sell the rights to Marvel! oh wait i mean Disney
Old 05-11-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Booster Gold?

To be fair though, all those are already planned and on tap. This seems like it's in it's early stages, and it doesn't sound like it's leap frogging any of those.
Old 05-11-16, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Marvel didn't...
Marvel was also a different situation though and I'd argue that they went with the most bankable characters they had access to.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
To be fair though, all those are already planned and on tap. This seems like it's in it's early stages, and it doesn't sound like it's leap frogging any of those.
Maybe but this is also DC who chose to prioritize making Suicide Squad which is a pretty random selection as their third film rather than focusing on a core character. It does seem like a lot of their decisions have been randomly made and them hoping that whatever they're trying will work. I doubt the Booster Gold film is coming soon but they have made questionable choices to date in my opinion.
Old 05-11-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Marvel was also a different situation though and I'd argue that they went with the most bankable characters they had access to.
Which just so happened to be the leftover scraps from the X-Men/Spider-Man superhero boom.

Nobody was clamoring for an Iron Man movie and Cap and Thor certainly didn't seem very cool at the time. Between having those three leftovers and the Hulk deal that let them produce the movie with Universal only distributing it's kinda miraculous that things worked out the way they did.
Old 05-11-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Nobody was clamoring for an Iron Man movie and Cap and Thor certainly didn't seem very cool at the time. Between having those three leftovers and the Hulk deal that let them produce the movie with Universal only distributing it's kinda miraculous that things worked out the way they did.
I ALWAYS knew that Iron Man could be very popular and successful if the material was handled well. The property basically boils down to Batman + James Bond. Unless they were completely incompetent (See: WB, Green Lantern), there is just too much there that allows for a breezy summer action property with a touches of wish fulfillment (rich, handsome, successful swaggering hero) and gee whiz fantasy (all the tech).

Cap and Thor I agree were a trickier nut to crack. I'm just glad we are past the timid, tentative steps with this stuff and now we can finally see the four color process fantasy elements splashed around big and bold.
Old 05-11-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

When did Kgroger/Taffer get banned?
Old 05-11-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Last fall when he admitted to being both.
Old 05-11-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Which just so happened to be the leftover scraps from the X-Men/Spider-Man superhero boom.

I'm not denying that the characters they went with weren't very well known at the time. The post I quoted was talking about how Marvel didn't establish their universe with big names and my point was they were in a different situation given the characters they had and went with the more bankable characters they had to choose from. Obviously some could have easily failed but the universe has been well established from the beginning and hasn't had too many weak spots. Even the weaker films aren't awful some are just not as good as others.
Old 05-11-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe but this is also DC who chose to prioritize making Suicide Squad which is a pretty random selection as their third film rather than focusing on a core character. It does seem like a lot of their decisions have been randomly made and them hoping that whatever they're trying will work. I doubt the Booster Gold film is coming soon but they have made questionable choices to date in my opinion.
I don't disagree that they've made questionable decisions. Point is, I don't think they're "throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks" at all here with Booster Gold and I don't understand the complaint that they need to use the big guns first... because that's what they're doing and already have planned.
Old 05-11-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno I kind of feel like they are throwing shit at the wall truthfully. A lot of the ideas in Batman V Superman felt that way and Suicide Squad feels that way just in the sense that I feel it's too early to focus on when the core characters of the Justice League aren't even well established. Also just the general approach with how the films are coming out seems all over the place and like there's not a real plan in place for the universe but more just films they're planning on making.

There should have been a more natural progression in my opinion. If it were me after Man of Steel we'd have gotten a Batman film and a Wonder Woman film and possibly even a second Superman film. If they had been smarter they could have easily done two of those in the same year. Then I'd have went with whichever of the three was left and done that and Batman V Superman in the same year which would have led into the Justice League film.
Old 05-11-16, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I dunno I kind of feel like they are throwing shit at the wall truthfully. A lot of the ideas in Batman V Superman felt that way and Suicide Squad feels that way just in the sense that I feel it's too early to focus on when the core characters of the Justice League aren't even well established. Also just the general approach with how the films are coming out seems all over the place and like there's not a real plan in place for the universe but more just films they're planning on making.

There should have been a more natural progression in my opinion. If it were me after Man of Steel we'd have gotten a Batman film and a Wonder Woman film and possibly even a second Superman film. If they had been smarter they could have easily done two of those in the same year. Then I'd have went with whichever of the three was left and done that and Batman V Superman in the same year which would have led into the Justice League film.
Again, i'm specifically referring to the complaint that they need to go with their big guns before the C list. They don't get any bigger then Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, who are the characters they tried to use to kick off their universe.

It isn't a commentary on the execution of said properties or the quality of the movie and script.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.