Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah in all honesty of his films I would say that Watchmen is probably the one I enjoy most from Snyder.
I have yet to see Watchmen all the way through, but in my opinion, his only decently-directed movie is Dawn of the Dead.
Old 06-16-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think that Watchmen is his best film, but I think that most of what works in it works because of the strength of the original storyline rather than the direction of the film.
Old 06-16-15, 10:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
By he still shoots 35mm, so I'm willing to give him a lot of leeway .
Never understood why everyone gets a stiffy when a director says they're shooting on film. Just about everywhere is projecting digital now. Same with Tarantino shooting 70mm for Hateful 8. I cared for stuff like this years ago back when film projectors ruled. Not anymore. And I don't have the interest anymore to drive to the opposite side of town just to see it on 70mm.
Old 06-17-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Never understood why everyone gets a stiffy when a director says they're shooting on film.
That's because you're a normal, well-adjusted person who gets laid once in a while.

Just about everywhere is projecting digital now. Same with Tarantino shooting 70mm for Hateful 8. I cared for stuff like this years ago back when film projectors ruled. Not anymore. And I don't have the interest anymore to drive to the opposite side of town just to see it on 70mm.
I know you don't, very few of us do, but don't tell Tarantino and Nolan that or they'll stop doing it .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-17-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 09:58 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

THIS WEEK: Rumor has it Warner Bros and DC have some big surprises in store with The Justice League.

Editor update: Props to Frosty at Collider for breaking the Two Green Lanterns.

It’s been quite a week for comic book movie news with the Ant-Man set visits and 20 min footage preview breaking some very WASPy sounding news as well as revealing a little more about the history of SHIELD we haven’t seen. Oh, also there seems to be another young white kid who has been cast as Peter Parker.

But this week, I’m going to back-burner those things in favor of talking a bit about the DC Cinematic Universe and some of the surprises we’ve heard rumored Warner Bros has in store for us in the (sometimes near, sometimes far) future.

You might have noticed Marvelous Da7e was absent from the site last week, and that’s because Team Latino-Review was tracking down rumors rumblings and the most possible of possibilities. Some things we heard and were going to report sounded too good to be true, so we needed to check in with our sources network.

Now, I feel a little bit better about speculating about some things and much better about the factual basis for them. Especially with Sand Diego Comic Con just a little over a month away and with Marvel Studios absent from the Hall H proceedings, it’s DC’s convention to win (besides Star Wars) like they did last year.

Because sometimes the promise of things to come is just as exciting as the first looks at things around the corner, the new hot rumor is that Warner Bros is going to go all out when it comes to the DC Cinematic Universe at this year’s Hall H presentation. Sure, Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice and the still-in-production Suicide Squad are highly likely to debut some sort of footage or entire scenes (fingers crossed from some awesome Joker material from Jared Leto, since they have to know we’re super curious).

It sounds like Warner Bros is going to go a step further and commit to the full cast of the Justice League of America. The first of two Justice League installments is due to hit in 2017 and DC has gotta have the line-up locked down. I’d expect some sort of rough-equivalent to Marvel assembling the Avengers on the Hall H stage years ago, but the DC version that will includes Henry Cavill as Superman, Ben Affleck as Batman, Gal Godot as Wonder Woman, Jason Momoa as Aquaman, Ezra Miller as The Flash, (maybe Ray Fisher as Cyborg), and...two Green Lanterns.

Yeah. Stick with me here. It’s a rumor, though one I feel comfortable writing about, that there will be not one but two Green Lanterns when Warner Bros gets around to introducing him/them into the Justice League universe. One of them, the Green Lantern we’ve already seen onscreen is Hal Jordan. The other is the Green Lantern made popular by the animated JLA TV series, the black human Green Lantern John Stewart. Apparently, some story-world approved reason why they both exist will be explained, like having Stewart be the backup Lantern while Jordan’s on the JLA or having them be Lanterns from different sectors.

Now, you didn’t misread me earlier, and these rumors don’t conflict, WB wants to line up the Justice League on the Hall H stage. That would mean that these Green Lanterns have already been locked down.

The cool thing (in retrospect) is that it looks like WB was Kahning us JJ Abrams style with the rumor that Chris Pine was in negotiations to play Princess Diana’s love interest Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman. Pine was rumored to be a candidate for Hal Jordan way back when we realized Ryan Reynolds would never float in a green suit again, and the rumors of Pine circling Wonder Woman were actually Pine closing in on the role of Hal Jordan.

As for John Stewart, both Tyrese and Common have been the most rumored names to fill that role. Common scored himself a role in Suicide Squad and if DC and WB are playing by the Disney mega-franchising rules, you shouldn’t have the possibility that a hero version of your actor could conceivably meet the villain version of your actor. I’d count Common out while also noting that Tyrese is part of the Fast and Furious franchise cast, which gives him heat in the “look at our star studded Justice League” category.

That’s gonna be quite the debut of the DC Cinematic Universe at a convention that Marvel Studios won’t even be attending. Look forward to a bunch of headlines about DC’s big moves. If they unveil a Hal Jordan and a John Stewart, they have the very slim possibility of pleasing both Green Lantern fans and representation critics in one swoop.

Justice League Part 1 is supposed to hit theaters in 2017 with over a year’s break before Part 2 in 2019. The year of 2018 has The Flash and Aquaman, but is relatively DC light with a “unknown” X-Men movie from Fox and Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Avengers Infinity War Part 1 from Disney. Turns out DC is eyeing to plop a tride-and-true character into the 2018 year to reclaim November from Captain Marvel.

Yes, the Ben Affleck project Latino-Review previous reported is still a go, aiming for November 2018 now. Chris Terrio, who has writing credits on Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice and has been announced as a writer for both Justice League films will write the movie for Ben Affleck to direct himself in. It’s still called The Batman, and it still sounds like it could be amazing.
http://www.latino-review.com/news/dc...green-lanterns
Old 06-24-15, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice.
Old 06-24-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the idea of seeing John Stewart, don't like the idea of Tyrese playing him.
Old 06-24-15, 10:30 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Old 06-24-15, 10:33 AM
Banned

Didn't even read that. Jesus, that'd be horrible. He's mediocre. Common would rock it but I dunno if I'd like him for it or not.
Old 06-24-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, not feeling Tyrese. He works in the Fast movies but can't see him as a Lantern. I do, however, like that Chris Pine is up for Hal Jordan and that we'll see a solo Batman movie sooner rather than later with Affleck helming.
Old 06-24-15, 10:42 AM
Banned

yeah. That'd be exciting. To... you know... Get an actual competent storytelling kind of guy for this DCCU.
Old 06-24-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I could sort of see Chris Pine as Hal.
Old 06-24-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I might be interested in seeing an Affleck-directed standalone Batman movie, but not with him starring in it too. And I think it'd make a lot more sense if it came before Batman v Superman and the Justice League movies, but that's just me.
Old 06-24-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm fine with Affleck directing and starring as he's proven a pretty successful filmmaker and has starred in all his films. I think he'll be a decent Bruce/Batman but he wouldn't have been my first choice.
Old 06-24-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I might be interested in seeing an Affleck-directed standalone Batman movie, but not with him starring in it too. And I think it'd make a lot more sense if it came before Batman v Superman and the Justice League movies, but that's just me.
A lot of what DC is doing doesn't make sense. They're trying to play catch-up with Marvel.
Old 06-24-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And ironically the reason they're playing catch up, in part, is because of the Nolan Batman movies. Also didn't help Green Lantern tanked (rightfully so, though Mark Strong was great as Sinestro to the point I wouldn't object to them casting him again in a GL movie or centric storyline).
Old 06-24-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm fine with Affleck directing and starring as he's proven a pretty successful filmmaker and has starred in all his films. I think he'll be a decent Bruce/Batman but he wouldn't have been my first choice.
That's fair. I agree he's been a successful filmmaker, but his acting performances in the films he's directed have been among their weaker points, in my opinion. Also, based on his past performances, it's hard for me to see him giving Bruce Wayne/Batman the dark, tortured edge that I think the character needs. I'm willing to be proven wrong though. Many had similar skepticism of Michael Keaton and he pulled it off pretty well.
Old 06-24-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My thing with Affleck as Bruce/Batman is I can see it being sort of hard to look past that it is Affleck in the role. I've mentioned it before and I think others have agreed that while he's decent and has gotten better that it can be hard to believe him as a character sometimes and he doesn't always really immerse himself in his roles.

I agree thought that people were skeptical on Keaton and he turned out fantastic.
Old 06-24-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!
Old 07-06-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now I’m Hearing Chris Pine For GREEN LANTERN Too

A follow-up to the Chris Pine in the DC Movieverse rumors.

I think I'm going to owe Latino Review an apology. A week or so ago the site reported that the role Chris Pine is up for in the DC Movieverse is actually Hal Jordan for Justice League and a rebooted Green Lantern (to feature multiple Earther Green Lanterns), which flew in the face of reports from the trades that Pine would play Steve Trevor, the love interest in Wonder Woman. It seemed weird to me at the time - how could the trades have this story so very wrong? - and I cautioned all to take the scoop with a heaping of salt.

But this weekend I talked to someone close to Chris Pine who confirmed that the actor is in fact up for Hal Jordan. And that he had been offered Steve Trevor. But most of all the source told me that, as of end of business Thursday, Pine hadn't officially signed on to anything - despite Warner Bros wanting him to come out on stage at Comic Con this weekend.

I don't know what it means that Pine was offered two very different roles in two different movies in the same connected universe. Are the individual films actually competing for talent? Is Green Lantern trying to snipe Pine away from Wonder Woman? Or has Warner Bros offered Pine multiple choices? Beats me, but either way it seems weird.

My source tells me that Pine is definitely leaning towards Green Lantern - better to have your own franchise than be guesting in someone else's seems to be the (bummer) thinking - but it looks like we won't officially know until the Warner Bros panel at Comic-Con.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/07/...en-lantern-too
Old 09-17-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Blue Beetle and Booster Gold (WB/Greg Berlanti)

Speechless ... Booster Gold!!!

It appears time travel is in DCEU's future. The Tracking Board has revealed that Warner Bros. is currently developing a live-action Booster Gold/Blue Beetle film. The team-up film will be joining the already diverse DCEU line-up, which includes films such as Aquaman, Suicide Squad, Cyborg and Wonder Woman. This is just another film in the massively different slate for Warner Bros. The film will be helmed by Greg Berlanti and is being pitched as a "superhero buddy-cop movie". So, definitely something different and a little less serious than some of the other films on the slate and an opportunity for something that can be both exciting and tons of fun.

Berlanti’s a big name when it comes to Warner Bros. DC properties, having both worked on both Arrow, The Flash and 2011's Green Lantern, as well as being behind the upcoming Legends Of Tomorrow and Supergirl series. The director, producer, and writer is even such a big fan of the character that he even scripted the pilot for a Booster Gold series over at Syfy.

DC has wanted to push both of the characters on-screen for quite some time with them both appearing in Smallville and plans for each to receive their own series at one point. Could Booster end up being Warner Bros. equivalent of Tony Stark? Let us know what you think about Booster Gold and Blue Beetle joining the DCEU in the comments below and make sure to keep checking back for updates on the project.
Old 09-17-15, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Booster Gold/Blue Beetle (D: Greg Berlanti)

I am skeptical that this article is true because I have never heard of the website before, and I am not seeing it confirmed anywhere else. This website claims that DC/WB is working on a Booster Gold/Blue Beetle movie with Greg Berlanti as the director. Berlanti has worked on the CW Arrow and Flash TV series.

The website claims it won't be "dark and gritty" like the current trend of DC movies, but instead the movie will be a comedic buddy cop kind of movie in tone with the JLI era of comics.

As much as I would absolutely love a JLI era style movie, I am very skeptical it will ever actually happen.

Source:

http://www.tracking-board.com/exclus...lanti-helming/
Old 09-17-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Blue Beetle and Booster Gold (WB/Greg Berlanti)

I'm skeptical because, no Batman.
Old 09-17-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm skeptical because, no Batman.
They could work in Batman Beyond, and show Affleck with a walker.
Old 09-18-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I never thought there would be a superhero movie I cared less about than Ant Man...boy was I wrong.
I guess this is good for those who complain about there being no comic relief in DC's movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.