Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Old 01-06-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al.

After seeing TFA, I'm still much more interested in the Guardians universe than Star Wars. Can't wait for this.
Old 01-06-16, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We're still not confirmed on Kurt Russell, right?

Cuz that'd be all kinds of awesome.
Old 01-06-16, 06:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

RED Weapon 8k - confirmed

Snake Plisskin - unconfirmed
Old 01-07-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Gunn posted on his FB about why he is shooting in digital in general.

With the announcement that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be the first film to shoot on the RED Weapon 8K, I've received a lot of excitement from a lot of people. THANKS! However, I also get a lot of folks asking why we chose not to shoot on film, and it's assumed we aren't doing so because of the expense.
So, if you're interested, here's the deal.

When you're shooting a film at the level of Guardians of the Galaxy, the cost of film vs. digital is negligible - for me it's an aesthetic and creative choice.
Firstly, I believe when shooting on a format like the Red Weapon 8K or the Alexa 65, the amount of data is so massive - certainly more so than on a strip of film - that it gives you more freedom in production and post production to create exactly the film you want to create than actual film does. As anyone who has ever worked with me knows, I am a control freak. Such high resolution gives me the ability to control ever single bit of data (to do so would take a long time, but at least the knowledge comforts me). Many filmmakers look to essentially replicate the look of film, but I don't share that interest. I believe that innovations in camera and shooting technologies as well as visual and practical effects gives us the ability to create a new aesthetic of film, one different from what the past has offered but equally beautiful - perhaps even more so. I respect many of the filmmakers who continue to shoot on film - and some of the most gorgeous movies of 2015 have been in that format. But I think sometimes that the love of actual film is based in nostalgia more than it is in objective beauty. Many filmmakers remember the films of their youth and want to replicate that magic. For me, I'm interested in being one of the many who help to create a new kind of magic that will usher the cinematic experience into the future. What will the children of today think of fondly with nostalgia?

And, yes, most filmmakers who have shot digital have underutilized the format. But with these new cameras their advantages are easier to see for everyone.
And there are three other reasons I chose this format:
1) It is easier to seamlessly incorporate massive amounts of visual, digital effects - including a digital tree and raccoon - into a digital base.
2) One of the ways I capture my actor's performances is by doing massively long takes, over and over - sometimes up to an hour - much longer than your typical 11-minute reel of film. I find this a better way to capture the energy and rawness in a performance (and we get better outtakes of me yelling at Michael Rooker off-screen).
3) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be utilizing another new technologies I'm very excited about but can't quite go into yet. But, for this technology, you need a camera the small size of the RED Weapon - a film camera is too big, as is the Alexa 65 (which is also an amazing camera).
Have a wonderful day.
Old 01-07-16, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I am all for seeing an 8K presentation. Saw one at Red's NAB show a year ago and it was very cool.
Old 01-08-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
After seeing TFA, I'm still much more interested in the Guardians universe than Star Wars. Can't wait for this.
That's just because it's fresh and new for the big screen. I doubt you'll feel this way when the fifth or sixth GUARDIANS movie roles around (assuming they even get that far, which is doubtful).
Old 01-08-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I actually don't find the universe that interesting in Guardians, but I like the main characters a lot.

When it moved away from those guys, the first movie was a slog. Thankfully that wasn't very frequent.
Old 01-11-16, 09:54 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Would've been cool if they could've done the cameo.

From James Gunn

I usually find out about people dying on Twitter these days, as it's one of the first places I check on my phone when I wake up in the morning. It's only been about fifteen minutes or so since I learned of David Bowie's passing there, and I'm reeling. And horribly sad.

69 years old. Goddammit. I know we're supposed to be positive in situations like this, but that's just seems too young to me. Fucking cancer.

Just a very short while ago Kevin Feige and I were talking about a cameo role in Guardians Vol. 2, and he brought up Bowie's name. I told him nothing in the world would make me happier, but I heard from common friends he wasn't doing well. We heard back that he was okay and it could potentially happen. Who knows what that was about? But, for whatever reason, it made my Twitter revelation more of a surprise.

I just "liked" some of the photos on his Facebook fan page last night.

Bowie was an idol of mine, huge and omnipresent. Few artists in any field have had as an indelible impression upon me as he has. To my mind, Ziggy Stardust is perhaps the greatest rock and roll album of all time. We featured "Moonage Daydream" in Guardians, but I always thought the album's character was felt far beyond that, in the aesthetics, in the integral and seemingly-natural linking in popular culture of '70's rock and space opera. I've been trying to work another song from Ziggy into the sequel, which would make Bowie the only artist to have a song on both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. I thought this was fair and appropriate. Although I cut the scene it was used in from the script, we have the rights. Who knows. Maybe I can figure a way out.

It's also fair that I come clean that the use of "Life on Mars" in Breaking the Waves was one of the linchpins for me and the use of music in Guardians: much of what I did was imitating that perfect blend of oddness and familiarity, of irony and aptness.

My pop cultural connection to Bowie goes deeper as it was the music that was playing the night I hit bottom on alcohol and drugs as a very young person. I got sober that night, and those songs - "TVC15", "Star", "Suffragette City" - are now deeply embedded in my psyche. They all have a frightening, almost-religious context in my personal history. I'll have to save those stories for another time.

I wish I could be more eloquent, but I'm gutted.

Thank you, David, for all you've given to my life, my relationships, and my career. Thank you most for helping me to make it through high school. Your music let me believe there was something magic out there, I only needed to hold on a few more years to experience it. I'm glad I did.

And, especially, love to Duncan and the rest of the family. This is so difficult for all of us who loved the icon. I know it is infinitely more so for those who loved the human being.
Old 01-21-16, 10:19 AM

It’s still over a year away, but the long-awaited sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy is in the works, and we couldn’t be more excited! The interstellar team of misfits is returning for another romp around the galaxy, and will be meeting some of Marvel’s most interesting characters in the cosmos.

This travels into spoiler territory, so be warned.

Sources close to both Geek.com and production on the film have told us that a fan favorite from the comic books will be making an appearance in the upcoming film:
Spoiler:
Ego, the Living Planet, is set to appear in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

This is huge — in the way that a sentient planet is actually a huge character the team will have to deal with. Now, most Marvel Cinematic Universe viewers may not know who Ego is, but for comic readers it’s a great treat to bring in one of the most unusual characters in the books, much less that would appear on screen.

Ego, in the most retconned of Marvel comic lore, was a regular old planet hanging out in space doing planet things, when the cosmic being known as The Stranger (basically a crazily powerful space wizard) gave it consciousness. In a search for self, Ego set off to conquer other planets, and that’s when Thor, the God of Thunder stepped in to put an end to Ego’s ambitions of conquest.

At some point, the world eater Galactus took aim at Ego, looking to devour him. Thor returned to Ego, but this time in defense of the giant planet. After defeating Galactus, the two formed a truce and Ego even consented to allowing a group known as The Wanderers, who had been displaced when Galactus destroyed their world, to live on his surface.

The truce didn’t last long, though, as Ego broke descended into madness, consuming the Wanderers. Thor returned — this time with Galactus in tow — to defeat Ego once and for all.

You can see a pattern here. Ego seems like he would make a great Thor villain. So, why put him in Guardians of a Galaxy and not Thor: Ragnarok? Even though we know Ragnarok is going to be a more “cosmic” film, it still centers around the issues of Asgard and the death and rebirth cycle that is Ragnarok. Putting a sentient planet with the ability to talk and manipulate its surface might not fit into the world Taika Waititi is building for the film.

Ego, however, is certainly a character that would fit right in a galaxy with a talking raccoons and a sentient tree-man. He even has a giant planet beard; he’s perfect for Guardians!

In recent years, Ego (alive and well after that encounter with Thor and Galactus, and somewhat reformed) even hired Rocket Raccoon to exterminate an infestation of space lice he was infected with. Thanos also once tried to take over Ego, and Thanos has already appeared in the first Guardians. In the comics, Ego’s “brother” Alter-Ego (yep), another planet created by The Stranger, is held by The Collector (played by none other than Benicio del Toro, who is returning in Guardians 2 according to IMDB).

So, Ego has ties to the Guardians universe. With the absurd and unusual beings we see in that film, including a sentient planet-with-a-beard as a cameo, side character, or even a villain would be a great move on Marvel’s part. And being a character with a limited history in the comics — and virtually no recognition in the mainstream world — the film team has a lot to work and adapt with.

Don’t expect James Gunn to confirm this anytime soon. The director has a noted history of not commenting on spoilers, and has even said on Twitter that he wouldn’t be addressing such things on social media anytime soon. So, until the studios confirm our source (or Ego is seen in official material for the movie), don’t get your hopes up just in case.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 comes out May 5, 2017.
http://www.geek.com/news/exclusive-g...cters-1645069/
Old 01-21-16, 10:54 AM
Banned

I love that guy. He's just... it's fucking wild. I LOVE the cosmic characters from Marvel. The right type of weird, otherworldliness, and variety in their aspects.

Really wish Marvel had the other cosmic folk that they don't have. So much is lost w/o them.
Old 01-21-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a kid, my favorite villian was Terrax the Tamer. Man I would love for him to be included with the MCU.
Old 01-21-16, 01:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

yeah, i assume most of the galactic threats are tied up with the FF rights?
Old 01-21-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Ego was but that was introduced in Thor. So was Firelord. Wonder if he's "Thor" or "FF".

BTW, all those great Cosmic Charactors the FF has and Fox won't use them. WTH?
Old 01-31-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

Nothing big to report but Chris Pratt posted on Instagram 4 days ago that he participated in a table read in Atlanta. He's filming the movie Passengers there and Guardians 2 will film there too.
Old 02-03-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rehearsal pics
Old 02-12-16, 09:57 AM

Filming has begun.

New logo:

Old 02-17-16, 08:17 AM

James Gunn

Official photography on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has started, and I couldn't be more stoked.

My favorite movie as a small child was The Strongest Man in the World, so I'm glad to announce that, yes, Kurt Russell has joined our cast and, yes, he is more awesome a dude than I ever could have imagined.

The last few days around here with him and our other new cast members, Pom Klementieff, Elizabeth Debicki, and Chris Sullivan, have been some of the best of my life. I never thought anyone was missing from our island of misfit toys, but now that these folks are here there feels like there was.

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Sean Gunn, and Glenn Close are all returning.

We'll have more surprises for you in the coming months. But, for now, this will have to do.

I have to get back to set!

Have a great day, everybody.
Old 02-17-16, 08:53 AM
Banned

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Man... Russell just seems like a badass guy to know. They must be laughing the whole fucking time w/ him around.
Old 02-17-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell has joined our cast
Yes!!!!
Old 02-17-16, 09:14 AM
Banned

Wait, is Groot still small?

Hrmmm.
Old 02-17-16, 09:17 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Hrmmm.
Space Avengers 2

from left to right in the pic above:

tony stark, thor, ant-man, capt. america, black widow
Old 02-17-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Hrmmm.
Well.. He is a tree after all.
Old 02-17-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad Karen Gillan is back. Something about Nebula is very hot.
Old 02-17-16, 09:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
RED Weapon 8k - confirmed

Snake Plisskin - confirmed!!
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Glad Karen Gillan is back. Something about Nebula is very hot.
I think it's because Karen Gillam plays Nebula. That may be the cause of the hotness.
Old 02-17-16, 09:53 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Well.. He is a tree after all.
Yeah - so this confirms not much (if any) time has passed since the last movie.

This is just like Star Wars! Where the time between movie releases is the same as the time between the on-screen stories! (i kid, i kid...)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.