Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only SHORT FILM thread of limited runtime

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The one and only SHORT FILM thread of limited runtime

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The one and only SHORT FILM thread of limited runtime

Gaspar Noe's Carne - 38 minutes

A prequel to I Stand Alone. Super NSFW so I will not link or embed.
Old 06-09-15, 01:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Re: The one and only SHORT FILM thread of limited runtime

Saw this one a few years back.
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/128544536?badge=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

DOTTY from Brett and Mick on Vimeo.

Old 02-12-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Great Animated Short Film

"My Darling’s Shadow" (created by Conor Whelan):

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/153952194" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Darling's Shadow from Conor Whelan on Vimeo.

This animated short film has a very impressive style to it in telling what is essentially a "film noir" type story of a wife finding out her husband is unfaithful and how she deals with it.
Old 02-12-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Great Animated Short Film

My scene-by-scene interpretation of what happens in this short...

Spoiler:

A scene-by-scene breakdown of "My Darling's Shadow"

- [00:00] SAME DAY (AT HOTEL): Opening scene is the husband driving up the hotel with his mistress while it's raining.

- [00:18] SAME DAY (AT HOTEL): It switches to a parked car in the rain and the wife is sitting in it, smoking a cigarette and seeing her husband enter the hotel with his mistress (this is also when the song starts and the opening credits are shown).

- [00:43] SAME DAY? (BEFORE HOTEL): It switches to the wife's hands underwater in a kitchen sink. Her wedding ring is on the counter next to it. The outline of a 3rd hand appears on the counter and is wearing a wedding band (I interpret this as her thinking about her husband's hand and what the wedding band means).

- [00:52] SAME DAY? (BEFORE HOTEL): It switches to showing the wife and then a close-up of her face as a tear from her right eye rolls down her cheek. A shadow shaped like her husband is next to her (source of the title of this short, I think).

- [00:58] SAME DAY (BEFORE HOTEL -> AT HOTEL): It cuts from her crying face (with round ball earrings) to her face (wearing hoop earrings) while she's sitting in her car in front of the hotel

- [01:05] A FLASHBACK: It shows her discover lipstick on his shirt as she's doing the laundry (this is when she first found out her husband was cheating on her). [ NOTE: she's wearing the round ball earrings here, so could be the same time of the other "Before Hotel" scenes ]

- [01:18] SAME DAY (AT HOTEL): She walks in the rain up to the hotel (can see the husband's car from where he parked at the beginning).

- [01:31] SAME DAY (AFTER HOTEL): a key enters a lock and opens a door.

[ NOTE: Pay attention to the differences in the doors. The one entering the hotel is a double glass door, but the door opened with a key is a standard door which I think is the front door to their house, although it could be the hotel room... or maybe symbolically it represents both ]

- [01:34] A FLASHBACK: The husband carrying the wife over the threshold (probably a memory of when they were married). The pictures on the side wall indicates that this is their house.

- [01:37] SAME DAY (AFTER HOTEL): Wife opens their house's door just after the bedroom door in the flashback closes, so symbolizes the change in their relationship (I guess).

- [01:41] SAME DAY (AFTER HOTEL): wife walks down the hallway, past the pictures of her with her husband in happier times.

- [01:49] SAME DAY (AFTER HOTEL): wife opens bedroom door, the song stops, and the scene feels lonely with just ambient noise (the rain outside, a barking dog in the distance).

- [01:59] A FLASHBACK: An old memory as the wife recalls happier times as she danced with her husband (the song returns here, but it sounds distant in this scene).

- [02:11] SAME DAY (AFTER HOTEL): the wife turns off the light and the memory abruptly ends (and the song fades away, like an echo).

- [02:14] SAME DAY (AFTER HOTEL): the wife walks across the dark room towards the window and throws her purse on a table. Stuff spills out and a ring rolls around on the table.

- [02:21] SAME DAY (AFTER HOTEL): A close-up of the stuff on the table shows that it's her husband's wedding band rolling around and that a bloody kitchen knife is also among the stuff she threw down.

- [02:26] SAME DAY (AT HOTEL): It switches back to the hotel and shows her husband is dead with a number of stab wounds that the wife inflicted on him. Looking closely at his hand shows that the ring finger has been cut off. A lit cigarette on the nightstand is burning with smoke drifting upwards. A ceiling fan is slowing spinning. The dead body of the mistress can be seen as just an outline in the dark, unlit part of the room, lying on the floor next to the right side of the bed. Can partially make out the "HOTEL" sign outside the window.

- [02:40] SAME DAY (AFTER HOTEL): The wife is standing near a window (or sliding glass door), smoking a cigarette while watching the rain.

- [02:46] SAME DAY? (BEFORE HOTEL): It switches back to the scene with the hands underwater in the kitchen sink. The outlined hand wearing the wedding band leaves the scene as the wife lifts up the kitchen knife from underwater in the sink.

- [02:53] (End credits begin)
Old 02-12-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Great Animated Short Film

Really Great Animated Short Films:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-su8DPDNEl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>