Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
20.00%
29.09%
34.55%
10.91%
3.64%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
It was Earth all along damn it!
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Brack
They didn't exactly "stumble" there. Caesar led them there. There was a line of dialogue that confirms it/he pointed to the house, something like that (unless I'm crazy and making this up).
Nope there was a line. I believe it was the Ellie character and she said something along the lines of "where is he taking us" it definitely was Caesar that led them there. They didn't just stumble upon his old home.
Old 07-12-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Caesar got their attention as they were driving and noticing the human area was on fire. She acknowledged Caesar, then they cut to them being near the house and Caesar getting them to stop. I felt like there a bit of time that passed.

Clearly he told/showed them how to get to that house.
Old 07-12-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

We saw this today and loved it. I didnt like that they ended up making ape actions the cause of the coming war but whatever. I guess making humans the ones at fault in the first movie and then apes in the second film shows the similarities of fuckedupness in our two species.
Old 07-12-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally missed something.
Spoiler:
Were there not several apes watching when Koba shot Caesar? How was he able to blame it on the humans?
Old 07-12-14, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by JaxComet
I totally missed something.
Spoiler:
Were there not several apes watching when Koba shot Caesar? How was he able to blame it on the humans?
He was out of sight...or had loyalists.

Anyways, the movie looked beautiful with the dystopian San Francisco and the three lead ape actors were amazing. You can get away with not much of a plot when Serkis is your lead.

Other than she and her husband apparently being huge fanboys of the franchise, not sure why Judy Greer was in this film. I'm not trying to see her apetits (dejeuner) and her character laid around most of the film. Oldman was good when he had screen time but they didn't really flesh out much of the human side. Kirk Acevedo was typecast as your typical 'asshole' human to play as a foil to Clarke.

But this film still gets 3.5 stars due to the performances of Caesar, Koba and Maurice. Bonus half star for the cable car scene.
Old 07-12-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Yeah pretty sure some of the apes saw Koba shoot Caesar but they were loyal to him and didn't rat him out.
Old 07-12-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Really good movie that blows its predecessor out of the water. I always kind of felt the first was a mostly mediocre movie that was compensated by moments of brilliance. This was a brilliant movie that wasn't really hampered by the few mediocre moments it had (all human ones).
Old 07-12-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't go so far as to call Rise of the Planet of the Apes mediocre. It was a damn good film and a nice modernization to reboot the franchise. I liked Dawn of the Planet of the Apes a lot too and still haven't decided which I like better but I think they're on similar levels.
Old 07-12-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStoicPaisano
He was out of sight...or had loyalists.

Anyways, the movie looked beautiful with the dystopian San Francisco and the three lead ape actors were amazing. You can get away with not much of a plot when Serkis is your lead.

Other than she and her husband apparently being huge fanboys of the franchise, not sure why Judy Greer was in this film. I'm not trying to see her apetits (dejeuner) and her character laid around most of the film. Oldman was good when he had screen time but they didn't really flesh out much of the human side. Kirk Acevedo was typecast as your typical 'asshole' human to play as a foil to Clarke.

But this film still gets 3.5 stars due to the performances of Caesar, Koba and Maurice. Bonus half star for the cable car scene.
Judy Greer? That was Keri Russell.
Old 07-12-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought it was pretty good. Great CGI apes, intelligent story, decent acting and action. Some really powerful, disturbing imagery with the apes during battle.

A minor gripe--- I thought the score was a bit pedestrian--really could have used a distinct, weird sci-fi score like the original.
Old 07-12-14, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Judy Greer? That was Keri Russell.
Greer played Caesar's wife/baby mama. Since she's known for being rather funny and wasn't given anything to do, I'd call it a bad casting job.

Russell I thought was ok as the doctor. Milquetoast would be my description for nearly all the human performances, in fact.
Old 07-12-14, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wouldn't go so far as to call Rise of the Planet of the Apes mediocre. It was a damn good film and a nice modernization to reboot the franchise. I liked Dawn of the Planet of the Apes a lot too and still haven't decided which I like better but I think they're on similar levels.
Watch Rise again. Caesar is easily the most consistent great thing in it. Most if not all his actions are top notch. The other Apes are mostly solid too. The plot is stupid as fuck and the humans were wildly cardboard cliche types. I did like other things in it like the dad's Alzheimer issues and were interesting to see them when Caesar was there. The directing is average. Franco's GF in that thing was pointless. She literally didn't do shit for the plot. Take her out and the plot is still what it is.

Dawn beats the shit out of Rise. Like by a large degree.
Old 07-12-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I disagree I still like Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
Old 07-12-14, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Rise is fine but I agree that the humans are the weakest links in the entire flick. Hell, the same can be said about Dawn - the humans ARE the weakest links in the entire flick. Oldman was fine the entire 5 minutes he was in the thing.
Old 07-13-14, 10:19 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

so what would you call the 3rd in the trilogy?

just leave it simple as The Planet of the Apes?

or do you think they will go with War of the Planet of the Apes?

i've been wondering this since i saw the 2nd and loved it...
Old 07-13-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am pretty curious as to where they will go with the next movie. If they want to make this a set up for the Planet of the Apes saga as we know it, then it could be the last of this series. If this a full on reboot of the whole saga and they want to cover the ground of the originals , then they might need a second trilogy to take place in the distant future.
Old 07-13-14, 10:33 AM
Banned

I guess I disagree I still like Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
That's fine that you enjoy it, I like it too. But it's just got very broad simple issues in its narrative that could have been solved easily.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Rise is fine but I agree that the humans are the weakest links in the entire flick. Hell, the same can be said about Dawn - the humans ARE the weakest links in the entire flick. Oldman was fine the entire 5 minutes he was in the thing.
I wouldn't call them weak in Dawn but they aren't the most developed ones in the script. I mean that in a simple manner. They're human, they're struggling, they're desperate, and they're wanting to survive. I don't think we needed to know more about them. They're not the focus obviously.

We have a group to follow and I liked them for what they were for the most part. Could have changed up the nervous guy who doesn't like Ape bs. It made sense but it also could have been more interesting if his actions came from a different type of person.
Old 07-13-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
We have a group to follow and I liked them for what they were for the most part. Could have changed up the nervous guy who doesn't like Ape bs. It made sense but it also could have been more interesting if his actions came from a different type of person.
I was initially annoyed with that guy as well, but I think he served his purpose of being a
Spoiler:
red herring. Obviously everyone would think he would be the one to start the war, when in reality it was Koba.
Old 07-13-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
That's fine that you enjoy it, I like it too. But it's just got very broad simple issues in its narrative that could have been solved easily.
Yeah, by no means did I think it was a perfect film but I still think calling it mediocre is a stretch. I'd still say it was a pretty damn good film and served as a good way to reboot the franchise in the modern era. Also while the humans were more of a factor in Rise of the Planet of the Apes I actually thought the acting was pretty well done. Franco turned in a pretty surprising and different (for him) performance and Lithgow was pretty good as his father with Alzheimer's. I did like that the apes played the main role in the new film though.

As for where the series goes next, truthfully I'd be okay if the new films are just their own thing and don't try and connect themselves to the older films. The original film is a classic but the sequels aren't really that great.
Old 07-13-14, 10:55 AM
Banned

Yeah. He was a good spark for the war. And I liked Koba. His rationality made sense.

Again I'm just so happy to see how Dawn was handled. Really really smart moves from Reeves. And I'm glad Fox let him do that. Now if only Paramount had the balls to make their Transformers into... *gasp* lead characters with depth. Hell... They don't even have depth as is.
Old 07-13-14, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Really good movie that blows its predecessor out of the water. I always kind of felt the first was a mostly mediocre movie that was compensated by moments of brilliance. This was a brilliant movie that wasn't really hampered by the few mediocre moments it had (all human ones).
This movie doesn't blow Rise out of the water. Please. I like Dawn but let's not get crazy with saying it blows Rise out. It doesn't.
Old 07-13-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Franco and the Indian girl from Slumdog are the worst things about Rise. Other than that the film is great.
Old 07-13-14, 12:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Franco and the Indian girl from Slumdog are the worst things about Rise. Other than that the film is great.
yeah, seeing it again the other night...Franco and Pinto were just not believable as humans.
Old 07-13-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Franco did pretty good in it actually and I'm not usually a huge fan of his. It was a bit different to think of him playing a scientist just because his real personality doesn't seem that way at all but I didn't think he was that bad. Kind of funny it seems like more people are criticizing Rise of the Planet of the Apes just because they liked the new one better when before I seem to remember that it got pretty positive reviews.
Old 07-13-14, 12:53 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought Franco did pretty good in it actually and I'm not usually a huge fan of his. It was a bit different to think of him playing a scientist just because his real personality doesn't seem that way at all but I didn't think he was that bad. Kind of funny it seems like more people are criticizing Rise of the Planet of the Apes just because they liked the new one better when before I seem to remember that it got pretty positive reviews.
This.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.