Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
20.00%
29.09%
34.55%
10.91%
3.64%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
It was Earth all along damn it!
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Wow. Fox had balls to allow what was allowed. I congratulate Reeves in successfully attempting what he did here. Whereas Paramount is scared of letting the title characters lead the film this one had Caesar as the lead pretty much. Had amazing levels of drama from the Apes. This film could have EASILY fallen off the tracks it was on were it not for Reeves.

Just wow. Serkis was amazing. Give him an Oscar for this. The gears you could see going in Caesar's head. All the Apes were solid. The humans are solid too but the Ape work is extraordinary. I know we would not get it but I'd love to see the film before they layered over the ape actors. Their acting is that good.

This film has a power structure drama we've seen before but it totally makes it a viable reality for this world.

Again I'm so glad that the Apes were the leads for this and the humans were a cultural reaction for the apes' drama. Just amazing work with the Apes. I was also pleased by Blue Eyes' role in this. He had a lot of conflict that we've seen before in other Films but this one had so much power to it.

My favorite film of the year. Great action, great acting, great everything.

Again this film treks through material we've all seen before but unlike many it has a soul to bring forth the emotion instead of letting the audience create the emotion for the characters.

I hope the BD is packed with features on how they did those apes. Huge leap in the evolution of the craft. Serkis is amazing.
Old 07-11-14, 03:52 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Wow. Fox had balls to allow what was allowed. I congratulate Reeves in successfully attempting what he did here. Whereas Paramount is scared of letting the title characters lead the film this one had Caesar as the lead pretty much. Had amazing levels of drama from the Apes. This film could have EASILY fallen off the tracks it was on were it not for Reeves.

Just wow. Serkis was amazing. Give him an Oscar for this. The gears you could see going in Caesar's head. All the Apes were solid. The humans are solid too but the Ape work is extraordinary. I know we would not get it but I'd love to see the film before they layered over the ape actors. Their acting is that good.

This film has a power structure drama we've seen before but it totally makes it a viable reality for this world.

Again I'm so glad that the Apes were the leads for this and the humans were a cultural reaction for the apes' drama. Just amazing work with the Apes. I was also pleased by Blue Eyes' role in this. He had a lot of conflict that we've seen before in other Films but this one had so much power to it.

My favorite film of the year. Great action, great acting, great everything.

Again this film treks through material we've all seen before but unlike many it has a soul to bring forth the emotion instead of letting the audience create the emotion for the characters.

I hope the BD is packed with features on how they did those apes. Huge leap in the evolution of the craft. Serkis is amazing.
Wow... not a single "fuck" in this review.
Old 07-11-14, 03:57 PM
Banned

It's that damn good. Good enough for me to not even say the "fuck" of words.... Aka fuck.
Old 07-11-14, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

movie was extra loud.
i'm sure people will start naming their pitbulls "kobo" now.
Old 07-11-14, 06:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i was also surprised with how much Reeves got away with. pretty gory and grim for PG-13...
Old 07-11-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

really? that gory? i thought it was pretty tame for a PG-13 movie.
Old 07-11-14, 07:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
really? that gory? i thought it was pretty tame for a PG-13 movie.
well maybe just the Koba scene with the two guys...
Old 07-11-14, 07:46 PM
Banned

Where it was no blood and they were off screen? The most violent bit was the first Caesar tussle with Koba. If Koba got any more beaten in the face it may have gone R.
Old 07-11-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Will be seeing this tomorrow. Is it worth the 3D?
Old 07-11-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solid 4 out of 5. Has a third movie in this new franchise been confirmed?
Old 07-11-14, 10:48 PM
Banned

The 3D was absolutely pointless. Don't bother paying for the extra $$$$.

--
Old 07-11-14, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i was also surprised with how much Reeves got away with. pretty gory and grim for PG-13...
We must've seen a different film. The movie wasn't gory in the least, it was rather tame imo. The sole, strategically placed F-bomb from Oldman just screams "Youre watching a PG-13".

--
Old 07-11-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Matt Reeves filmed the movie using 3D cameras. It's not a post conversion cash grab. It does it's job well without being distracting and doesn't take you out of the movie.
Old 07-11-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by edstein
Solid 4 out of 5. Has a third movie in this new franchise been confirmed?
Not yet but this is tracking slightly higher than the 1st, so i would say there is a good chance.
Old 07-12-14, 06:34 AM
Banned

It's a trilogy. That is what Fox is going for.
Old 07-12-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones
Not yet but this is tracking slightly higher than the 1st, so i would say there is a good chance.
well, tracking was wrong. it's currently tracking at 30% higher than the 1st one. there's almost no doubt they will make another one.
Old 07-12-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
The blood and gore wasn't that bad at all other than the first fight between Caesar and Koba. Even that wasn't too bad.

I really liked this a lot though. Very solid and I liked the fact that the apes got most of the attention. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a good start to the reboot of this series but it was quite a bit more centric on the human characters. Serkis was great as Caesar despsite just being the voice of the character and really not a ton of lines. That was something else I liked and felt was pretty cool that Matt Reeves got away with was the fact that instead of having the apes be fully able to speak that the characters spoke through signs and a lot of the dialogue was through subtitles. Koba was a good antagonist too, I felt bad for poor Ash. The humans we got weren't bad but I was glad they weren't a huge focus. Jason Clarke was good as the lead though and Gary Oldman was great (as he almost always is) as the human antagonist.

Overall a very solid film and I'd say see it if you're on the fence. I expected I'd like it but it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I'd give it a solid 4.5/5.
Old 07-12-14, 12:24 PM
Banned

Yeah. I liked the communication of the Ape. I am MUCH more fascinated in seeing this ape culture than the original series'. This culture has a lot of gears going as an evolution and it is fascinating.

Maybe it was the way you worded it but Serkis was the actor for Caesar. Acting for everything. I could tell it was him. His movement of physical gesture and especially his eyes, you can see the acting. I do wonder how much of the Koba vs. Caesar fight was from the actors.
Old 07-12-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah, I actually sort of forgot that motion capture was used. I just thought it was really good CGI.
Old 07-12-14, 01:25 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Pretty great film. By far the best movie this summer so far. 4.5/5 due to the film containing one really stupid character (I understand why he had to be stupid, but it was still kind of annoying) and one that didn't have much to do (Kerri Russell's character).
Old 07-12-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

In retrospect, the only part I did find "dumb" was towards the end when they just happen to stumble onto James Franco's old pad and find the camera with Caesar as a baby. Yeah, it was fan service but it felt shoehorned in. Other than that it was cool.
Old 07-12-14, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
In retrospect, the only part I did find "dumb" was towards the end when they just happen to stumble onto James Franco's old pad and find the camera with Caesar as a baby. Yeah, it was fan service but it felt shoehorned in. Other than that it was cool.
They didn't exactly "stumble" there. Caesar led them there. There was a line of dialogue that confirms it/he pointed to the house, something like that (unless I'm crazy and making this up).
Old 07-12-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
They didn't exactly "stumble" there. Caesar led them there. There was a line of dialogue that confirms it/he pointed to the house, something like that (unless I'm crazy and making this up).
I didn't pick up on that. I just figured they stumbled on it and thought it was quite convenient.
Old 07-12-14, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I didn't pick up on that. I just figured they stumbled on it and thought it was quite convenient.
If I remember correctly, they were driving in the neighborhood and he was pointing for them to stop. So to that extent, yes, it was convenient.
Old 07-12-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dey didn juss stumbl on Caes'' old crib. He be takin dem durr.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.