Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Predator (2018 -- w/d: Shane Black)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Predator (2018 -- w/d: Shane Black)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 04:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
re: The Predator (2018 -- w/d: Shane Black)

I hope it's about an old creepy Arnold stalking and meeting young girls over the internet and that the alien part is a very small opening scene resolved before the title sequence.
Old 03-07-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prederast.
Old 03-07-16, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
That's what this movie needs to be, the third movie. Totally not acknowledge that garbage we got last time. Maybe the Governator and Danny Glover. Sort of a geriatric Lethal Weapon, but fighting Predators this time.
Predator-Ho-Tep?
Old 03-07-16, 10:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 03-07-16, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Old 03-09-16, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Robert Rodriguez fucked up the way into a sequel with Predators, something where Arnold was leading the army of regular Predators versus the Super Predators who had abducted everyone to that planet. Could have been an awesome space war movie.

That was what he supposedly originally had scripted and should have stuck to his guns on that one because it was the only good way to continue that story.
Old 03-09-16, 04:59 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno... that sounds pretty fucking stupid of him leading them.

I like the concept of Predators along w/ some details in it but it was something many people wanted for years. A Game world. I'd love a sequel to that one w/o RR attached to it.
Old 03-09-16, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Plus, Arnold was still governor of California when Predators was being made. It probably would have been hard to set up something with him, even a cameo.
Old 03-09-16, 09:19 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

I like the concept of Predators along w/ some details in it but it was something many people wanted for years. A Game world. I'd love a sequel to that one w/o RR attached to it.
People wanted this for years? I don't recall people wanting the same premise as the first movie which the shitty Predators was. It's just kind of sad no one can can up with a viable original story to continue Predator. How come it's just limited to what we've seen already? At least Predator 2 went into the city. While not a great movie, it was a good departure rather than the forest again.

Kind of like Jurassic Park - 4 movies and they manage to show about 5 minutes where the dinosaurs actually get off the island.
Old 03-09-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah, I'd have a hard time being open to that plot.

As far as Arnold returning, I hope it's in more of a "hey, this guy survived the predators, call him up for some advice". A consulting type of role with minimal actual screen time. Probably due to my feelings towards having Sigourney Weaver's character plopped into every Alien movie.
Old 03-14-16, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Predafile .. also the name of that hockey team in Nashville
Old 03-14-16, 04:10 PM
Banned

Sounds like pedophile.
Old 03-14-16, 04:13 PM
Banned by request

Predators take out pedophiles. Already a better premise than the last shitty movie we got.
Old 03-14-16, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Predators take out pedophiles. Already a better premise than the last shitty movie we got.
What kind of... goddamnit it, DVDtalk. It's on left still. Fucking weird shit. Uh...What kind of pedophiles?
Old 03-14-16, 04:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
As far as Arnold returning, I hope it's in more of a "hey, this guy survived the predators, call him up for some advice". A consulting type of role with minimal actual screen time.
This is exactly what I was thinking as well.
Old 03-14-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

What kind of... goddamnit it, DVDtalk. It's on left still. Fucking weird shit. Uh...What kind of pedophiles?
The bad kind.
Old 03-14-16, 05:45 PM
Banned by request

Yeah. Not the cute and cuddly kind.

Old 03-15-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Decker Shado ("The Internet Personality With The Best Hair") made this entertaining video scientifically analysing the Predator species (the analysis starts about 90 seconds in):

(video total runtime is ~18 minutes)
Old 03-15-16, 11:44 AM
Banned

He looks like he has an annoying voice.

EDIT: He does.

And he sounds like a bitch.
Old 03-24-16, 11:00 AM
Banned

Black on this new Predator:

You're going to write and direct a new Predator movie, 30 years after Fox asked you to punch up the script for the original movie and you declined. Then the studio cast you in a role, hoping you'd rewrite the script, and you still refused. How does the guy who kept saying no wind up taking over the franchise?

They called me and I was reluctant. I said, "Look. You guys at Fox, I mean, I enjoy these movies, but we've been churning out these AVP whatever, they each cost a certain amount of money, they're okay, but there's no effort to elevate them or make them any kind of an event." They're just sort of another Predator. "Oh, there's another one that came out." They said, "What if we said to you we want to reinvent this, and really treat it with as much of an event status, or as much hoopla as we would the Alien prequel, which is coming out also? We really want to make this something. The kind of movie that people line up for." I said, "Really, you'll spend a bunch of money?" They go, "Yep." I go, "Make it really scale, spectacle?" "Yep." "Shit, that sounds interesting."

Fans of the original may not imagine Predator as a giant blockbuster.

I think the first one was great, and it was contained, and it was a perfect little gem for what it was. I think there's an expansion that needs to take place, and also just a love for that era, that movie, and the mythology of the Predator. I think that they came to me knowing pretty much that... they said, basically, if I wanted to make Predator but treat it like it was Iron Man III instead of just another little movie. I said, "Let's really do it right this time."

And is Arnold Schwarzenegger back?

Still in talks, script still a secret.
Here's the whole interview

-------------------------------

If Fox is letting Black have a wealthy amount of freedom w/ this to you know... create something worth a damn... this could be very good. Black is solid.

I'd LOVE IT if this was Christmas w/ Predator.

Was hoping the New Guys would have some Christmas in there.. but looks like no dice on that one.
Old 03-24-16, 11:02 AM
Banned by request

"Oh, there's another one that came out."

Was hoping the New Guys would have some Christmas in there.. but looks like no dice on that one.
I thought we already confirmed in the red band trailer there's a quick moment where you see a Christmas tree? I think it's in The Nice Guys.
Old 04-13-16, 02:37 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

When we heard from Shane Black last month about his plans for The Predator, he said that 20th Century Fox was able to woo him back to the franchise by pitching it as an event on the same level of Alien or Iron Man 3. He didn’t have much beyond that, but there’s certainly room to build an event franchise around the Predator. His films have been varying levels of cool (I say that as a defender of Predators, which was a really neat idea for the franchise), and if you put it in the hands of a talented filmmaker and storyteller like Black, you could really work wonders with the monster.

Steve Weintraub caught up with Black at CinemaCon to talk about Predator. First Black confirmed that it will be his next movie, so that means Doc Savage is probably going to have to wait a little longer:

Is it next?

SHANE BLACK: It would seem so.

What does that mean?

BLACK: Well it means that I’m working on the script, and barring an act of God, a safe from the sky, there’s nothing that suggests it won’t be the next thing, and I’m getting more and more excited day by day. I mean, there’s great Predator movies, but to actually play with the idea of making it an event, not necessarily in scale—it doesn’t have to be huge—but it just has to feel like a Predator movie you want to see in the summer and line up for it. And that’s what we’re going for. Let’s get back to the excitement and innovation of that original movie where it felt fresh. I just want to find a way to make it feel fresh and that’s what we’re trying to do.
He then addressed the possibility of Arnold Schwarzenegger coming back, which was also mentioned last month:

A lot of people are wondering if you’re bringing Arnold back.

BLACK: We have not talked about it, which is good because I’m not supposed to talk about it anyway. Not supposed to talk about details of the script. And I shouldn’t.

It won’t get you into trouble.

BLACK: [mock laughter] Haha! Trouble! Who cares! I think it’s something we’re looking into, and as this thing evolves and takes on more of a shape, we’ll figure out how best to honor the tradition of what is really a remarkable first movie and even parts of the rest of them as well.
Finally, with regards to when the film is set, Black gave us some firm info by revealing that it’s set in the present day:

Is it using the real time since the first film?

BLACK: This one will be set in present day.

Ah, so there’s a possibility.

BLACK: Yes, it’s set in present day.
That means, since The Predator is due out March 2, 2018, thirty-one years will have passed since the events of the original film. How that will affect the plot remains a mystery, but it’s a nice tidbit of info to have.
http://collider.com/predator-3-timel..._medium=social
Old 04-13-16, 02:59 PM
Banned by request

I don't give a shit about when this story will take place, I'm just glad Black is running the entire thing this time. No Rodriguez interference of any sort. I'm glad they purged his ass out of it.
Old 04-13-16, 03:07 PM
Banned

I liked the the idea of Predators. A lot of fans wanted to see something like that. A game world.

Unfortunately... it was essentially remaking a shit ton from Predator 1... but w/o the fillmmaking involved in it. Also crap script. RR got Fox's interest by promising it on a small budget. And I guess it could have worked but not w/ that crap script.
Old 04-13-16, 03:27 PM
Banned by request

A Predator movie is not one I want to see made with his El Mariachi type mentality. And hell, he didn't even direct it. I didn't even think the premise was all that, I guess others wanted a game world one. It just needs something fresh to it. I'm guessing Black will provide that, and hopefully a kickass script. I'm glad he's running shit on his own terms, and now Fox is finally good with it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.