Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Spoiler:
"No... YOU are my father." Give me a break...

Rey being the new chosen one I could accept -- even if it was another immaculate conception, which I highy doubt they'd go with. But Anakin reincarnated? She IS Anakin... yet she can communicate with his spirit? Not buying it. Anyway, Trevorrow has already said that they're working to make the Rey reveal "profundly satisfying" for the audience. I doubt we'll know the truth until Episode IX, but Anakin reincarnated would be the opposite of satisfying for most fans.

That article also mentions Rey assumes Luke was the father who left her on Jakku. I doubt that's the case. Unless her memories were wiped/altered, it seemed obvious she knows who dropped her off... and it sure wasn't Luke. Plus, why would Luke leave her with an asshole like Unkar Plutt? I read Simon Pegg is back for Episode VIII, so maybe we'll get some answers there.

Not to go too far off topic, but I believe George's original plan was for Dooku to be directly responsible for Anakin's creation though his manipulation of the midi-chlorians. Thankfully, that dialouge was removed from Episode II's script. Can you imagine if it stayed in? I mean, did the Sith somehow arrange for Qui-Gon to make a pit stop on Tatooine to randomly discover the chosen one that they willed into being? Palpatine's string pulling was convoluted enough with all the political backstabbing, secret clone army and staged kidnapping. With so many variables at play, how could the Sith possibly be sure of the end game? I know the prequels are just movies, but the lapses in logic when you stop and scrutinize them are just baffling.
Old 04-23-16, 10:46 PM

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I don't think I need to put the following in spoiler tags, but...

I'd be surprised if Rey and Luke are related. In The Force Awakens, she says she thought he was a myth, and in her flashback she seems old enough to know who left her on Jakku.

The weird thing, perhaps the missed opportunity, is that at no point do Han and Leia talk about Rey as someone who they know from the past. He tells her he saw their son. Didn't say, oh, and our daughter or Luke's daughter or so-and-so's daughter. Leia tells Finn that Han told her "about the girl," but that doesn't say much, either. Han tells Maz "about the girl," but that doesn't say much, either.

It's quite possible she's a nobody, in terms of being related to or even having a prior relationship with anyone from previous Star Wars films.
Old 04-24-16, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

I've watched TFA a few times since getting the blu and Rey is quite a conundrum.

She definitely has never met Luke or Han, but knows about them through reputation and legend. Han didn't seem to recognize her, though Leia hugging her might imply some kind of realization on Leia's part. Kylo Ren seemed like he knew who she was.

She appears to have Force abilities that imply some kind of Jedi training, like telekinesis and the use of the mind trick. And Luke (and Anakin's) old lightsaber seemed to call her out.

And, most curious, she was living within driving distance of both Lor San Tekka (who was holding onto Luke's hiding place) and the Millennium Falcon. Consider all of the planets in this galaxy, and Rey, the Falcon, and the key to Luke's location are all on the same planet and only miles away from each other? That's either one hell of a coincidence (hacky writing), or there's some kind of backstory we aren't privy to.
Old 04-24-16, 05:06 AM

^ My money is on hacky writing.

She appears to have Force abilities that imply some kind of Jedi training, like telekinesis and the use of the mind trick. And Luke (and Anakin's) old lightsaber seemed to call her out.
She's clearly Force sensitive, but I got the impression she learned the mind trick after doing the reverse mind probe on Kylo.

As for why the saber is calling to her... who know? I guess the Force would have to search outside the Skywalker bloodline if Luke never had children and Leia's only offspring is a bad seed. Still, I'd be surprised if her past isn't intertwined with the main players in some way.
Old 04-24-16, 07:07 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Rey is a Kenobi.
Snoke is Tarkin.

bank on it!
Old 04-26-16, 09:14 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

that little jump kick at the end

Old 04-27-16, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link

Worst photoshop ever?
Old 04-27-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak

Link

Worst photoshop ever?
Hamill is using the Force to make the torso float
Old 04-30-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-Studios.html

Drone footage/pics of some sets at Pinewood. Nothing too spoilerish, looks like the Falcon and a set version of the island where Luke is at. (along with a few others which could be anything) The coolest thing is that giant tree... probably where he's been living, or the Jedi Temple...looks like there's an entrance behind it. Apparently there was some connection between Jedi and certain trees in the new cannon?

Last edited by Artman; 04-30-16 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-04-16, 02:59 AM

Old 05-04-16, 09:26 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ is it me or does she look a little like Elon Musk there?
Old 05-04-16, 10:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Dafaq?
Old 05-14-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I finished up "Bloodline" the other day. The book all about Leia that is supposed to be a kind of bridge between VI and VII. It was pretty good. Apparently the VIII director had some input to the book as well so I'm not sure how many characters/concepts/references may make it into the movie.
Old 05-16-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Phew, you finished Bloodline already? Was it better than the first book and Aftermath?
Old 05-16-16, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranger
Phew, you finished Bloodline already? Was it better than the first book and Aftermath?
Much better than Aftermath which was shit.
Old 05-16-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Aftermath had such terrible reviews across the board I didn't bother reading it. Won't read the sequel either.
Old 05-16-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Aftermath had such terrible reviews across the board I didn't bother reading it. Won't read the sequel either.
Not really across the board, Mainly from pissed of EU fans who can't accept that Thrawn, Mara Jade, the Yuuzhan Vong, etc. have been wiped out by the new continuity, with a bunch of regressive trolls who don't like the inclusion of gay characters in Star Wars.
Old 05-16-16, 09:27 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

There's a gay character in Aftermath? Didn't we just have a thread about gay Star Wars characters. Why did no one bring this up?
Old 05-17-16, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
There's a gay character in Aftermath?
Yup. Here's Wendig's response to the negative reviews. The pertinent part:

And if you’re upset because I put gay characters and a gay protagonist in the book, I got nothing for you. Sorry, you squawking saurian — meteor’s coming. And it’s a fabulously gay Nyan Cat meteor with a rainbow trailing behind it and your mode of thought will be extinct. You’re not the Rebel Alliance. You’re not the good guys. You’re the fucking Empire, man. You’re the shitty, oppressive, totalitarian Empire. If you can imagine a world where Luke Skywalker would be irritated that there were gay people around him, you completely missed the point of Star Wars. It’s like trying to picture Jesus kicking lepers in the throat instead of curing them. Stop being the Empire. Join the Rebel Alliance. We have love and inclusion and great music and cute droids.
Old 05-17-16, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Not really across the board, Mainly from pissed of EU fans who can't accept that Thrawn, Mara Jade, the Yuuzhan Vong, etc. have been wiped out by the new continuity, with a bunch of regressive trolls who don't like the inclusion of gay characters in Star Wars.
The EU characters haven't necessarily been wiped away, though. I don't think there's anything preventing, say, Grand Admiral Thrawn from showing up in the new continuity.
Old 05-17-16, 07:17 PM
Banned

I liked a lot of the EU, especially the Stackpole and Zahn stuff, but realize it was time to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. Lucas himself contradicted some of the EU with the Prequels. As for openly gay characters in the Star Wars universe, as long as they're interesting then bring them, I say.

Aftermath was still shit.
Old 05-18-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've read almost all the EU books and don't mind the slate being wiped clean. It would be cool to see some of the better EU characters make appearances though.

As for my across the board comment, I'll clarify that I meant the two places I usually look for book reviews:

Amazon it has 2.5 out of 5 stars from over 2k reviews
Goodreads it has 3.09/5 stars from over 9.5k reviews

A lot of the reviews blast the writing style including this supposed gem:

"The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight."
Old 05-18-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read almost all the EU books and don't mind the slate being wiped clean. It would be cool to see some of the better EU characters make appearances though.

As for my across the board comment, I'll clarify that I meant the two places I usually look for book reviews:

Amazon it has 2.5 out of 5 stars from over 2k reviews
Goodreads it has 3.09/5 stars from over 9.5k reviews
Yes, and a lot of those reviews were written as part of an organized campaign to give the book bad reviews in revenge for Disney wiping out the EU. These are the same people who were threatening to flood social media with spoilers for TFA.

"The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight."
Yes, that's Wendig's style. It's not the cardboard style of the EU writers which definitely puts some people off, but the vast bulk of the negative reviews were done on behest of the Alliance to Preserve the Expanded Universe.
Old 05-18-16, 02:41 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is any of this book stuff leading to VIII?
Old 05-18-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, shit, that's bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.