Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco

Curious if South Park will tackle this issue or do their own version of The Interview.
Old 12-17-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Playing Devil's Advocate (something I do well) ... If you (general term for all of the readers) believe it is OK to release a film calling for the assassination of an actual living person because it is covered under free speech, do you agree Louis Head screaming "Burn this bitch down!" on the night of the Ferguson riots should be protected?

Please don't respond with the "but one is a parody." While I agree, we cannot say that because we have not seen the film (unless you have.)
If we can't say the film falls under parody or satire without seeing it, I really don't understand how someone can make claims that the movie was "calling for" or advocating for anything under the same circumstances.
Old 12-17-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

DaveyJoe, you hit on a key word ... Precedent. The only thing you missed is that Sony is a private business making a financial decision. Unless there is evidence the government pressured them to make that decision, there is no free speech issue.
I understand that, but this sets the tone for what movies will feel like they can get away with in the future. Things are about to get way more PC in Hollywood.
Old 12-17-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Playing Devil's Advocate (something I do well) ... If you (general term for all of the readers) believe it is OK to release a film calling for the assassination of an actual living person because it is covered under free speech, do you agree Louis Head screaming "Burn this bitch down!" on the night of the Ferguson riots should be protected?

Please don't respond with the "but one is a parody." While I agree, we cannot say that because we have not seen the film (unless you have).
The movie isn't calling for the assassination of anybody, it's about two idiots trying to assassinate somebody. The big difference here is one was about inciting violence, the other isn't.

Just like a movie about a guy saying "Burn this bitch down!" and showing what happens isn't the same thing as saying "Burn this bitch down!!" and seeing what happens. Or a movie about a guy yelling "FIRE!" in a theater isn't the same thing as actually doing it. If it were a piece of propaganda telling everybody to out and kill this dude, then that's a different thing altogether.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-17-14 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to the threats of violence, the hackers had also promised to release another wave of sensitive Sony info on Christmas day if the movie was released. I'd imagine that played a part in the decision as well. They're clearly not bluffing at this point, and Sony already has a disastrous number of issues to deal with from the previous leaks.
Old 12-17-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts

Obama should sign an executive order that this movie be shown on all TV channels this Friday @8pm.
Old 12-17-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Playing Devil's Advocate (something I do well) ...
The problem with playing Devil's Advocate is that you're actually advocating for the Devil!

That is, unless you're doing this:
Spoiler:
Old 12-17-14, 10:12 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Threatening violence and making people afraid for their lives is bullying, period. Despicable. Invoking fear in someone else exposes your own insecurity. Satire exposes truth. The truth is this: making someone else afraid is the act of a coward. Add in some anonymity and it's the definition of dishonorable.
Old 12-17-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Curious if South Park will tackle this issue or do their own version of The Interview.
They probably would have if the season wasn't over. It's too bad this movie didn't try to come out 2 months ago.

Originally Posted by MoviePage
In addition to the threats of violence, the hackers had also promised to release another wave of sensitive Sony info on Christmas day if the movie was released. I'd imagine that played a part in the decision as well. They're clearly not bluffing at this point, and Sony already has a disastrous number of issues to deal with from the previous leaks.
I think the two main issues are the liability if something did happen and Annie. I think Sony is worried that families are going to stay home because of the threat and that would affect Annie's box office numbers over the holidays. I really don't know what they are going to do with this film. I can't see them permanently shelving it. That would be nuts.
Old 12-17-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
EDIT: I don't buy the argument that Sony or theater chains would be responsible for the illegal actions of a third party. People could sue all they want, but I can't imagine those lawsuits would get very far.
Are you willing to bet millions of dollars on that? Sony wasn't.
Old 12-17-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

To someone who asked "what's to stop the KKK from threatening theaters over Selma?"
The answer is if the KKK has hacked into the that studio's system, completely compromised all security, looted it of all information, and began dispensing it on the net, then yeah, I think theater owners and the that studio would be paying attention.
Of course, the KKK or any US based organization would be morons to do something like that because authorities would have jurisdictional access to them and would be busting down doors on just a scintilla of suspicion.

And as far as pulling it- Even if the hackers had no way of really carrying out any death and destruction, having this in a mulitplex would chill business for every other film in release. If people believed there was even a chance of carrying anything out, why would they even risk going to the film next to it?. No. They would just stay away all together. And if business were down drastically this season because of this, other studios would be looking at Sony as the douche who took a shit in the pool. Not good business. And not good with corporate owners who value something like saving face.
Sony has their plate stuffed right now. I'm sure they're relieved that one less thing is in the air to worry about.
Old 12-17-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I know its a very tricky subject I bet you that NO ONE said when this movie was announced "you never guess what will happen when this gets released?!".
Old 12-17-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

EDIT: I don't buy the argument that Sony or theater chains would be responsible for the illegal actions of a third party. People could sue all they want, but I can't imagine those lawsuits would get very far.
A whole bunch of people tried to sue the theater and the theater chain in Aurora when the Dark Knight Rises shooting took place. So yes if something did happen the odds of Sony being sued were pretty good.

But that brings up the point of how there really can't be much made to back up what they claimed would happen if you think about it logically. But with them mentioning 911 and people still having the DKR shooting and the Boston bombing in their minds the fear tactics worked.
Old 12-17-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

yeah, the logistics of something spectacular happening are just too complex to ever pull off. But an isolated one-man incident is not out of the realm of possibility and something like that would have almost the same chilling effect on business and attendance. Business would be down big time and that's the point.
Old 12-17-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Man, remember that time the studios blackballed that asshole Charlie Chaplin for making fun of Hitler in the '40s?
Steve Carell ‏@SteveCarell 4h4 hours ago

Chaplin
Old 12-17-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
This is all a business decision. If this movie was playing and someone shot up/blew up a theater (even someone completely unaffiliated with these "hackers"), then Sony would be facing the lawsuit to end all lawsuits. And it could have easily trumped what they lost on this cancellation.

It came down to numbers - free speech doesn't even factor into it.
^This. The only thing Hollywood understands is $$$. They are not risking a potentially catastrophic lawsuit and PR nightmare over a POS like The Interview. They'll just suck up the $65M or so in losses as a write-off and pray for the best with Annie and Mall Cop 2.
Old 12-17-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
And as far as pulling it- Even if the hackers had no way of really carrying out any death and destruction, having this in a mulitplex would chill business for every other film in release. If people believed there was even a chance of carrying anything out, why would they even risk going to the film next to it?. No. They would just stay away all together. And if business were down drastically this season because of this, other studios would be looking at Sony as the douche who took a shit in the pool. Not good business. And not good with corporate owners who value something like saving face.
Sony has their plate stuffed right now. I'm sure they're relieved that one less thing is in the air to worry about.
I think this is a good point; it's not just about Sony and The Interview, but it would affect other movies and movie theater chains along with the people watching them as well. It's easy to sit back and call Sony pussies, but it makes complete sense.
Old 12-17-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Un is probably gleefully jumping up and down in his lifts. Have there been any gloating reports of successful world domination from that screeching harpy of a newsreader?
Old 12-17-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
A whole bunch of people tried to sue the theater and the theater chain in Aurora when the Dark Knight Rises shooting took place. So yes if something did happen the odds of Sony being sued were pretty good.
Were those lawsuits successful? How far did those lawsuits even make it in the system? Anyone can try and sue someone else, but that doesn't mean they'll win. Big corporations have in-house counsel for exactly these sorts of purposes.

While I recognize that Sony was under no obligation to release the movie, we are a society that values free speech and we shouldn't condone their decision. Giving into threats of violence and allowing those threats to suppress art should be troubling to everyone. And at the end of the day, we as a society shouldn't cave to threats. This is no different than letting the bully on the playground take your lunch money and give you a wedgie. It shouldn't be tolerated, period.
Old 12-18-14, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Were those lawsuits successful? How far did those lawsuits even make it in the system? Anyone can try and sue someone else, but that doesn't mean they'll win. Big corporations have in-house counsel for exactly these sorts of purposes.
The difference in this case is that there is a threat. If they ignore the threat and something happened, they aren't going to have any good defense.
Old 12-18-14, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just read that one of the Alamo Drafthouse theaters is going to do a showing of Team America.
Old 12-18-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
This movie looked like absolute shit, and it anything good comes from all this, hopefully it will be the end of Seth Rogan's career.
Old 12-18-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Neighbors was his highest grossing movie to date. Pretty sure he's going nowhere.
Old 12-18-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Man, remember that time the studios blackballed that asshole Charlie Chaplin for making fun of Hitler in the '40s?
All I know is that no German cyberattacks occurred under Roosevelt's watch.
Old 12-18-14, 08:46 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't mind Rogen THAT much, but this movie looked bad. Like ball blistering, dick rotting bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.