Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco

Originally Posted by VHS?
Good thing movies like Rambo aren't being made today.
I guess Hollywood better be careful when they write stuff as not to cross any lines that would warrant a threat or be called "insensitive'.
I cant wait to hear news that movies like Star Wars and Avengers are being re-edited to take out anything that might piss off someone or some other country.

Remember the recent Lego Jabba palace controversy?
Old 12-18-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
No, you'll get to watch this in two months when it's released and there is so much hype it out-grosses Avatar.

I find it hysterical to think that a bullshit country like North Korea, who can't even feed it's people, is spending resources to hack Sony --- a Japanese company. I just don't buy it. They have bigger fish to fry.
Tokyo is only 800 miles from Pyongyang. North Korea shoots missiles into ocean that Japan claims is its territory.

That a Japanese company was frightened by North Korean sabre-rattling was the only thing that made sense in this whole strange story.
Old 12-18-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I wonder how much a VOD release of The Interview might make. Wouldn't be comparable to a theatrical release, but then again you wouldn't have to split the gross with the theater and I'm sure it would be the biggest VOD release ever. I know I'd buy it (as long it's not more expensive than a couple of movie tickets). That might be a good way to re-coup a lot of the grosses back.
Old 12-18-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I hope this makes it to the top ten all time grossers.

What do the Japanese think of North Korea? Maybe that has something to do with the very un-American decision.
The two countries hate each other and have been at odds for centuries. Japan doesn't even recognize NK as a country.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Why doesn't Sony just sell the picture to another distributor? A company with no ties to Japan. Lionsgate or someone. It would be a good investment for any distributor. People are going to want to see this.
No studio wants to touch this movie with a ten foot pole. You think the heads of Lionsgate or Paramount want their own dirty shit-talking emails hacked too?
Old 12-18-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh. Just saw a commercial for the movie...you'd think they would pull them .
Old 12-18-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
This movie looked like absolute shit, and it anything good comes from all this, hopefully it will be the end of Seth Rogan's career.
Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I don't mind Rogen THAT much, but this movie looked bad. Like ball blistering, dick rotting bad.
Originally Posted by mcnabb
It looks like a typical dumb comedy that probably has a few funny parts, and would be forgettable by January.
Originally Posted by RichC2
You know this is just a trashy comedy with juvenile jokes in it
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Given how unfunny this movie looks and how apparently the hackers were not from the NK government, you don't suppose Sony took advantage of the hack to drum up publicity for the film when they suddenly decide to release it?
Man, that's a lotta negativity here for a movie you haven't seen.

All I can comment on is that going by the track record of the writers (Superbad, Pineapple Express, This is the End), it looked to be a good, fun comedy, especially since they seem to be improving as filmmakers because each of their movies was a bit better than the last.

Not to mention, early reviews were rather positive.
Old 12-18-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Trailers can be hit or miss when it comes to comedies, I actually hate it when they give away too many funny moments in the trailer. I agree that the crew has a good track record and felt that This is the End was the funniest thing they've done yet, so I was keeping an open mind for this, and will be disappointed if I don't get to see it.
Old 12-18-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

All I can comment on is that going by the track record of the writers (Superbad, Pineapple Express, This is the End), it looked to be a good, fun comedy, especially since they seem to be improving as filmmakers because each of their movies was a bit better than the last.

Mine wasn't criticism, I love trashy comedies with juvenile jokes and wanted to see the movie. But it's obviously not a very important film in and of itself.
Old 12-18-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

The "Sophisticated Actor" has been revealed:

Spoiler:
Old 12-18-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Clooney is PISSED. He started a petition to get other studio heads to stand up with Sony and no one signed

George Clooney on Sony Pulling The Interview: Kim Jong Un, ''of all F--king People,'' Is Telling Us What We Can Watch

http://www.eonline.com/news/607991/g...t-we-can-watch
Old 12-18-14, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingermck
Clooney is PISSED. He started a petition to get other studio heads to stand up with Sony and no one signed
This is hilarious, because if another country made a similar movie with a plot to assassinate his buddy he'd be one of the most outspoken people against it.
Old 12-18-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

But there's a lot of folks that don't care for Rogen and his brand of humor that probably wouldn't be posting about the movie if it wasn't for all the controversy.
Old 12-18-14, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
This is hilarious, because if another country made a similar movie with a plot to assassinate his buddy he'd be one of the most outspoken people against it.
I'm curious as to what you've based that completely hypothetical hypothesis on.
Old 12-19-14, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

No studio wants to touch this movie with a ten foot pole. You think the heads of Lionsgate or Paramount want their own dirty shit-talking emails hacked too?
What about Troma?
Old 12-19-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Assuming the hacks were done by North Korea because of this movie. If the hacks were done by disgruntled Sony employees then it's just a matter of time before the Interview is scooped up as a completed product that's ready to be turned into revenue.
Old 12-19-14, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm hearing that after the major theater chains pulled out, Sony yanked the movie as they'd make more on what they'd collect on the insurance (all major movies are so insured), than they would from a handful of independent theaters showing it, not to mention being scared of potential lawsuits should anything happen.
Old 12-19-14, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

It's crazy how this whole story about a Rogen/Franco comedy actually sounds like a Rogen/Franco comedy itself. I hope they've been followed by a documentary crew the last few wks, because that could be pretty awesome.
Old 12-19-14, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D

Old 12-19-14, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Sony was more worried about all the other "dirt" that was obtained and that could be released to the public if they went through with releasing the movie. Maybe they were more concerned with public opinion of their company and of their top employees, as opposed to the possible safety of moviegoers....
Old 12-19-14, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm curious as to what you've based that completely hypothetical hypothesis on.
He lost his cool and stormed off like a baby at a function because Steve Wynn said Obama is a shitty president. So I'd imagine his reaction to something like this would be the same or worse.
Old 12-19-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VHS?
Hackers stole a system administrator's credentials to access Sony's computer system, U.S. officials tell CNN's Evan Perez.
I felt all along that the outrage isn't being directed where it belongs: the Sony IT department. Any of us who run servers on the internet know that they are constantly probed, poked, and prodded by nefarious individuals. If our network was brought down because someone allowed their password to be hacked, we would get the full blame and there would not be this outrage at the evil doers lurking on the internet. Take responsibility Sony.

And secondly, to the douches who wrote inappropriate and attacking emails and are now complaining about their leak, get a brain, morans. Mature adults do not need to communicate in email that way. You are like children.

Finally, who gives a shit if Sony decided to cancel the movie. They are not a government. They have no obligation to "stand strong against terrorism". They are a business who weighed the hassles and liabilities and said fuck it. I don't blame them whatsoever for kowtowing.
Old 12-19-14, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

George Clooney on Sony Pulling The Interview: Kim Jong Un, ''of all F--king People,'' Is Telling Us What We Can Watch

No he isn't, George. Sony is telling people what they are willing to release. You fucking buy it and release it if you are outraged.
Old 12-19-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Given how unfunny this movie looks and how apparently the hackers were not from the NK government, you don't suppose Sony took advantage of the hack to drum up publicity for the film when they suddenly decide to release it?
Ding, ding, ding! Like I posted a few pages back... NK has bigger problems than a movie made by two stoner idiots.
Old 12-19-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

T-shirts making fun of this idiocy are already coming out:

http://www.teefury.com/??utm_campaig...issionjunction

Old 12-19-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...ow-with-edits/

In a message sent to company executives, the hacker group calling itself the Guardians of Peace has given Sony Pictures Entertainment the go-ahead to release the film The Interview—with some minor caveats. First of all, they want any death scene for Kim Jong-un dropped from the film.

"This is GOP. You have suffered through enough threats," the message, which was also posted to Pastebin, read. "The interview may release now. But be careful. September 11 may happen again if you don't comply with the rules: Rule #1: no death scene of Kim Jong Un being too happy; Rule #2: do not test us again ; Rule #3: if you make anything else, we will be here ready to fight."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.