Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-15-17, 09:29 AM   #176
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Disney's Beauty and the Beast (2017, D: Bill Condon) S: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens

67% Fresh so far (out of 93 reviews):

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bea...the_beast_2017
Old 03-15-17, 09:38 AM   #177
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Disney's Beauty and the Beast (2017, D: Bill Condon) S: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens

While I doubt it will hinder anything, Disney has to be a bit disappointed with the RT rating when compared to its other live-action remakes. This really does bring the average down a bit. Of course that's irrelevant since it's a name title from the mouse that has the power to keep kids quiet for a couple of hours. That alone will sell tickets.
Old 03-15-17, 09:57 AM   #178
DVD Talk Hero

It's still rating better than Alice in Wonderland and that pulled over a billion worldwide, so who knows.
Old 03-15-17, 11:58 AM   #179
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think people will still come in droves opening weekend. It's how much they'll enjoy the music that'll determine how good the word of mouth is. After listening to the soundtrack, I don't know how people will react to the autotuned-all-the-way-to-Timbuktu opening notes of Belle. I like Emma Watson but if the girl can't sing, just dub her. That opening song sounds like a fucking robot.
Old 03-16-17, 12:08 PM   #180
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe the leaked Emma Watson photos will get more young males to see it.

Or maybe not.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 03-16-17, 12:16 PM   #181
DVD Talk Legend

From a brief look at the RT reviews, it seems that critics didn't dislike the movie but rather the idea that this isn't up to par with the animated original. Makes sense and this does seem wholly unnecessary but in a vacuum, I bet it's better than the RT score lets on.

I'll probably catch this at some point since it seems like fun but I won't be excited for a Beauty and the Beast movie until someone makes one that portrays Gaston as the hero, as he should be.
Old 03-17-17, 08:43 AM   #182
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The original is my favourite animated movie of all time....I hated this. The musical numbers are overstuffed yet lifeless, was not a fan of the character designs for Lumiere, Mrs. Potts and Chip etc. and found the CG Beast to be distracting. Yes the effects are decent but they should have blended CG with practical because Beast felt like one of those dead eyed 'Polar Express' people which made the whole love story angle creepy and off putting.

The added songs are OK but nothing stood out. Also a few moments they've changed or added felt very stupid (the rose picking, the teleportation book) and I wish they hadn't stuck so close to the original because it never feels like this thing has any reason to exist other than making money. A live action version of an animated film that loses the energy and spirit (while still being like 50% animated anyhow with all the CG characters) with unfocused and sloppy direction/editing.

"Gaston" was the best sequence that actually worked for me while "Be Our Guest" and "Beauty and the Beast" fell flatter than I could have imagined. I'm sure families will love this and I'll be in a minority but I don't see myself ever revisiting this version, it was dreadful. 2/5

(sidenote: I loved Cinderella and Jungle Book live action for anyone wondering)

Letterboxd
Rank 'Em As You See Them 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 Spending Tab 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
Old 03-17-17, 09:27 AM   #183
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

never saw the live action Cinderella, did they do the same songs as the animated movie ? was it a straight shot by shot adaptation like Beauty and the Beast ?

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-17-17, 09:33 AM   #184
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
Beast felt like one of those dead eyed 'Polar Express' people which made the whole love story angle creepy and off putting.
A teenager can fall in love just fine with a guy that has horns & hooves, but it's the eyes that make love creepy.
Old 03-17-17, 09:39 AM   #185
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
never saw the live action Cinderella, did they do the same songs as the animated movie ? was it a straight shot by shot adaptation like Beauty and the Beast ?
There were some of the same songs (Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo for example) but not performed in exactly the same way. The movie, while still being the same basic story, is quite a bit different from the animated film.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 03-17-17, 09:49 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
A teenager can fall in love just fine with a guy that has horns & hooves, but it's the eyes that make love creepy.
I get what he's saying. The storyline requires the horns and hooves, but falling in love with a being that doesn't even look alive would be a deal breaker.
Old 03-17-17, 11:41 PM   #187
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
The original is my favourite animated movie of all time....I hated this. The musical numbers are overstuffed yet lifeless, was not a fan of the character designs for Lumiere, Mrs. Potts and Chip etc. and found the CG Beast to be distracting. Yes the effects are decent but they should have blended CG with practical because Beast felt like one of those dead eyed 'Polar Express' people which made the whole love story angle creepy and off putting.

The added songs are OK but nothing stood out. Also a few moments they've changed or added felt very stupid (the rose picking, the teleportation book) and I wish they hadn't stuck so close to the original because it never feels like this thing has any reason to exist other than making money. A live action version of an animated film that loses the energy and spirit (while still being like 50% animated anyhow with all the CG characters) with unfocused and sloppy direction/editing.

"Gaston" was the best sequence that actually worked for me while "Be Our Guest" and "Beauty and the Beast" fell flatter than I could have imagined. I'm sure families will love this and I'll be in a minority but I don't see myself ever revisiting this version, it was dreadful. 2/5

(sidenote: I loved Cinderella and Jungle Book live action for anyone wondering)
Pretty much, that.

My wife and I went to see it as Beauty and the Beast is one of our all time faves (and one of the few we can agree on). It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, it just was. None of the new additions - songs or scenes - added anything. In fact, they just bogged the film down.

The cast should have been brilliant ... Nobody shined.

Cogsworth was wasted with a drastically diminished role, which was just as well. Ian McKellan was phoning it in (or he won't be with us much longer).

Lumiere had all his same lines, but Ewan MacGregor brought no heart or soul to the tiny metal man ... Yes, man. Not candelabra.

I like Emma Watson, but she does not possess the stunning beauty of Belle. She is a very pretty girl next door, but that is not Belle.

So on and so on ... Very flat. If you are a fan, go see a matinee or rent it. You'll have no desire to purchase it (do not blind buy!) as there is no re-watch value. Not even for the lifeless renditions of the songs.

Yeah, 2/5 stars.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 03-20-17, 10:39 AM   #188
DVD Talk Legend

Think this will win any Oscars?
Old 03-20-17, 10:40 AM   #189
DVD Talk Legend

my kids loved it and i thought it was pretty cool so whatever
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 03-20-17, 12:09 PM   #190
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed it, and was preparing to eviscerate it to shreds. I think they pretty much nailed the best live-action version of the animated film anyone could ever do.

I only wish they could have used "If I Can't Love Her" from the 1994 Broadway show, by Tim Rice and Alan Menken. That new song (for the play) was better than any of the new songs for the movie, and I liked the new movie songs.

4/5 for me. As far as filmed versions of this story, it's #3 behind Jean Coctau's 1946 film and the 1992 animated movie, but it's a worthy bearer of the legacy.
But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!
Old 03-20-17, 12:21 PM   #191

Saw it on Sunday. We all enjoyed it. The theater was packed. All shows Sunday were sold out.
Old 03-20-17, 02:00 PM   #192
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked it for what it was, an enjoyable time at the movie. I don't have kids, so the original animated movie isn't ingrained in me like most adults. Saw it at Disney's El Capitan in LA, that's an experience you need to have.

Oh, and the whole LGBT thing is blown way out of proportion... as it usually is by people who haven't actually seen what they're griping about.
Old 03-20-17, 02:04 PM   #193
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
I liked it for what it was, an enjoyable time at the movie. I don't have kids, so the original animated movie isn't ingrained in me like most adults...
How old are you? I think for most of the adults where the original animated movie is "ingrained," it's probably because they saw it as a kid.
Old 03-20-17, 03:07 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
I liked it for what it was, an enjoyable time at the movie. I don't have kids, so the original animated movie isn't ingrained in me like most adults. Saw it at Disney's El Capitan in LA, that's an experience you need to have.

Oh, and the whole LGBT thing is blown way out of proportion... as it usually is by people who haven't actually seen what they're griping about.
They really should have focused on the bigger issues like the lack of beer during the Gaston song or how Disney doesn't like single mom's and decided to bring Chips dad into the picture.

Old 03-20-17, 03:36 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
How old are you? I think for most of the adults where the original animated movie is "ingrained," it's probably because they saw it as a kid.
I just meant that most parents have it memorized because the kids watch it over and over again. I've seen the original on video a few times, but I hardly know it by heart. BTW - I was 25 when the original came out
Old 03-20-17, 04:05 PM   #196
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
They really should have focused on the bigger issues like the lack of beer during the Gaston song or how Disney doesn't like single mom's and decided to bring Chips dad into the picture.

wait what?? he has a dad now? that does suck.. while not an important character the fact it was just him and his mom made it different

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-20-17, 04:09 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
wait what?? he has a dad now? that does suck.. while not an important character the fact it was just him and his mom made it different
When they turn back to being human. It's not like they have an additional pot as the father.
Old 03-20-17, 04:22 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
When they turn back to being human. It's not like they have an additional pot as the father.
Correct.

In the original Mrs. Potts appeared to be a single mom. In this one they are reunited with Mr. Potts at the end.

Michael Bay is the "New George Lucas"

PS3/360 GT: DVDVampire
Old 03-20-17, 06:50 PM   #199
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<-- Hated this movie
<-- Hates Musicals
Old 03-20-17, 06:53 PM   #200
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it in 3D Sunday. I enjoyed it pretty well. The wife and 9 year old daughter LOVED it.

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16