Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-15-16, 12:33 AM   #126
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Disney's Beauty and the Beast (2017, D: Bill Condon) S: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
This is a direct adaptation of the Broadway musical. It was always going to look a lot like the animated movie since that's what the musical was.
Just saying it's creatively boring to me... it's a safe business move on Disney's part, for sure.
Old 11-15-16, 03:40 AM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Disney's Beauty and the Beast (2017, D: Bill Condon) S: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens

YAWN. Watching that trailer made me want to watch the animated original instead. I'm sure it'll rake in some dough for Disney.

"Well time travel's confusing. I remember tomorrow like it was yesterday."
Old 01-03-17, 05:58 AM   #128

Old 01-03-17, 09:57 AM   #129
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wonder if and when the trailers and promos will show songs being performed.
Old 01-08-17, 08:46 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I just wonder if and when the trailers and promos will show songs being performed.
Just saw a spot during the Golden Globes with Emma Watson singing some of Belle.
Old 01-08-17, 08:54 PM   #131

Old 01-10-17, 06:23 AM   #132
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Just saw a spot during the Golden Globes with Emma Watson singing some of Belle.
I was rather surprised to see them be so straightforward about it.
Old 01-10-17, 07:56 AM   #133
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it almost looks like a straight shot by shot remake. Kinda like the Gus Van Sant's Pyscho remake which I heard is good but then what was the point

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 01-10-17, 08:04 AM   #134

Because... real people!

I will admit that I enjoyed Cinderella waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I expected to. That was a real good adaptation.
Old 01-10-17, 08:26 AM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I will admit that I enjoyed Cinderella waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I expected to. That was a real good adaptation.
I haven't seen it, but wasn't that more "inspired" by the animated movie than an exact remake of it?

I mean, looking at the first paragraph in Wikipedia's plot description, it sounds like you actually see Cinderella's mother before she dies, which is new.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinder...ney_film)#Plot
Old 01-10-17, 09:31 AM   #136
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
it almost looks like a straight shot by shot remake. Kinda like the Gus Van Sant's Pyscho remake which I heard is good but then what was the point
By the way, "Psycho" is not a shot-for-shot remake, though that's how Van Sant himself sold it. It does make some changes to specific scenes (adding additional images or changes to the setting) that give them a different impact. Doing the same exact scenes but changing the actors and the look does change the nature of the thing (Shooting it in color, to my mind, softens the story). "Psycho" is more of an Experimental film, but not one of great consequence; I would hope no one sees it before seeing the original.

It's interesting that the original Disney "Beauty" was a full-fledged Musical, -a genre that never would have been considered for a Live-Action film at that time. I don't recall seeing promos at the time that featured the characters actually singing, just the theme (which is sung over a montage).

Last edited by DWilson; 01-10-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 09:31 AM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

I'm seeing more of a John Malkovich face...

Old 01-10-17, 09:35 AM   #138

^^ That is terrifying.
Old 01-10-17, 12:15 PM   #139
DVD Talk Gold Edition

like a bad wax figure

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 01-10-17, 12:24 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hero

Good god

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 01-30-17, 09:05 PM   #141

Old 01-31-17, 12:35 AM   #142
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So this version doesn't take place in France? Is it supposed to be in England then?
Old 01-31-17, 06:38 AM   #143
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some odd choices in the trailer. They do not show the characters singing, but they clearly imply the dancing, though the cuts are very quick. I originally thought they'd not advertise the singing, but then there was an early promo a few weeks back that showed Emma Watson singing a line of "Belle".
Old 01-31-17, 07:10 PM   #144
DVD Talk Godfather

The trailer looks really good to me, even if it does seem to be much more similar to the cartoon then the other live action movies have been.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-31-17, 07:12 PM   #145
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's pretty much every Disney remake. I'm actually burned out with Disney just remaking all their shit now. I'll probably see this on home video, but I'll be skipping this in theaters. I guess they're leaving originality to Pixar for the most part.
Old 01-31-17, 07:22 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
That's pretty much every Disney remake. I'm actually burned out with Disney just remaking all their shit now. I'll probably see this on home video, but I'll be skipping this in theaters. I guess they're leaving originality to Pixar for the most part.
Pixar and Disney animated is the only originality left, though it looks like Pixar is focusing on sequels moving forward

Last edited by RichC2; 01-31-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 07:30 PM   #147
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Not sure that I would agree, since Cinderella felt different enough from the cartoon (and also very good, IMO), and they've done some different takes on things like with Alice and Maleficent. Jungle Book was certainly a lot like the animated movie, and I never saw Pete's Dragon to know how that compared, but I'm not sure how all their remakes feel the same at all.

I'd also argue Disney animation has been not only more creative then Pixar, but put out better movies the last 5 or 6 years too while Pixar has gone back to the well with sequels. I'd take Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and Moana over Cars 2, Brave, Monsters University, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, and Dory myself.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-01-17, 01:15 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Pixar and Disney animated is the only originality left, though it looks like Pixar is focusing on sequels moving forward
I thought that after Cars, Incredibles and Toy Story sequels, the mandate was for more original content.

http://ew.com/article/2016/07/01/pix...-e-inside-out/
Old 02-01-17, 02:23 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That's pretty much every Disney remake ... I guess they're leaving originality to Pixar for the most part.
Like doing fairy tales from the 1800s is "originality" in the first place? Most Disney cartoons were adaptations all along.
Old 02-01-17, 03:19 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They adapted children's stories. Now they're just recycling their own product.