Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Strange (2016, D: Derrickson) S: Cumberbatch

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Doctor Strange (2016, D: Derrickson) S: Cumberbatch

Old 12-23-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Doctor Strange (2016, D: Derrickson) S: Cumberbatch

I just don't trust anyone who can't say "Penguin"
Old 12-23-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I'm confused about some of the anti-Cumberbatch sentiments. I get that some people just might not like him for the part, or might not like him as an actor in general. That's fine. But I feel like a good amount of the negativity comes from the notion that Cumberbatch is a boring choice and that he's been overexposed and people are just sick of him at this point. I guess I just don't see where that is coming from. Other than Star Trek Into Darkness and Sherlock, where exactly are people seeing so much of him that they're sick of him already? Sure he's been in a few other films, but nothing that many people have seen other than maybe 12 Years a Slave. I get the impression that people are more tired by the idea of Cumberbatch than the actual actor himself.
It's not just what he's in, but the fact that he's up for every role in every movie these days.
Old 12-23-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It's not just what he's in, but the fact that he's up for every role in every movie these days.
That's what I'm talking about. People are tired of him, but not from any actual role. They're tired of reading about him in rumor articles and on message boards. That's not really a concept that I can wrap my head around. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but it's almost as though the lead up to the movie with all of the casting rumors and the plot theories and figuring out how all these movies are going to link up to the other 10 movies that will come after it is where people are getting their entertainment from and Cumberbatch has already taken up too much of people's time in that arena, thus he's a safe and boring choice. Weird.
Old 01-05-15, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

via geektyrant via WSJ

I couldn't be more excited about Benedict Cumberbatch playing Stephen Strange in director Scott Derrickson's upcoming Marvel film, Doctor Strange. I've been waiting for this movie for a very, very long time, and it's finally going to happen! During an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Cumberbatch opens up about playing the Sorcerer Supreme, and when he was asked if taking on this role was a risk, he said,

“I don’t think it’s a risk because of Marvel. Marvel is a stable of bringing out ordinary comic characters and turning them into screen-like gods. It’s very different, it’s an Astral Plane. There’s a huge new element to this Marvel universe that’s going to be employed in building this story and this character. But you know, I’m really excited about it, about working with Scott [Derrickson] whose imagination is endless, and all the boys and girls at Marvel who know what they’re doing. I’ve got a few things to get under my belt first. I’ve got to do that little stage production of Hamlet in the summer and the Christmas special of Sherlock, which we start shooting in about three days’ time – Whoops! Yeah, that’s there."

For those of you not really familiar with the world of Strange, the Astral Plane is the second of seven levels of existence. The others include Physical, Causal, Akashic, Mental, Messianic, and Buddhaic planes. They all have connections to the physical world that only psychic beings can visit. It's definitely going to be an interestingly awesome new element to explore in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The actor was then asked if he would be heading to the Himalayas to shoot the movie, and this was his reply:

“Ahh … you’ll have to wait and see. I’m not going to be eked out on any spoilers or reveals now. It’s quite a way off but I’m very excited about that spiritual dimension, obviously. It’s something that’s been a huge part of my life.”

Cumberbatch goes on to talk about meditation, his experience with monks in Darjeeling, and whether he would ever take on the mystical arts.

"I meditate a lot. That’s a huge tool in trying to calm myself, get away from the crazy circus of it all, have a focused mind as well as be a kinder, considerate person in the world. I took a lot of stuff away from my experience in Darjeeling, West Bengal, right at the Nepali border. It was Tibetan Buddhist monks in a converted Nepali house in India, with a view of Bhutan. It was a profoundly formative experience at a very young age. It’s something I’ve tried to keep in my life. It features already."

Then, in case you're wondering if the actor ever read the Doctor Strange comics growing up, he admits,

"Growing up, no. I didn’t read many comics at all. Asterix a bit. I think that was it. There weren’t many comics in my household — [in a self-mocking voice] 'I’m so deprived.' We didn’t have Marvel so much. But you can bet your bottom dollar I’m reading them now, avidly."

The movie is part of the third phase of Marvel's plan, and it's scheduled to hit theaters on November 4th, 2016. It seems so far away, but at least we'll have lots of other great Marvel film to watch between now and then.
Old 01-22-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff Sneider ‏@TheInSneider
UPDATE: CHIWETEL EJIOFOR is DEFINITELY going to be in DOCTOR STRANGE, regardless of comment from Marvel & his reps.
Old 04-24-15, 08:55 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Rumor that Dr. Strange could show up somehow in Iron Fist: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/...medium=twitter
Old 05-27-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tilda Swinton in talks to play the Ancient One:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...enedict-798348

The actress is negotiations to portray the Ancient One, the Tibetan mystic who is a mentor to Dr. Strange.

Strange is Marvel’s supernatural hero, a formerly cocky surgeon who loses the use of his hands, and while on a last ditch attempt to heal himself, discovers magic.

Strange’s mentor is a Tibetan mystic known as the Ancient One, who is training pupils to be the next sorcerer supreme. In the comics, the character has been a male, and Marvel Studios initially was searching for a male actor.

But the studio rethought the role and has now made it female. If a deal makes, Swinton will play the Ancient One.The actress is negotiations to portray the Ancient One, the Tibetan mystic who is a mentor to Dr. Strange.

Old 05-27-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Tilda Swinton in talks to play the Ancient One:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...enedict-798348

Brang it.

P.S. Cue the haters who will say that changing sexes corrupts the source material.
Old 05-27-15, 03:49 PM
Banned

Ooooooh.

Dude. Tilda Swinton played Gabriel in Constantine, my introduction to her when it was released. She is fucking amazing. I also find her wildly attractive for some reason. She has such a unique look to her that it attracts me. That voice too. Amazing actor, she is.
Old 05-27-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Strange is packed with Oscar acting talent.
Old 05-27-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know enough about the Dr. Strange property, but Swinton is a good actor. She looks like a man though
Old 05-27-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Brang it.

P.S. Cue the haters who will say that changing sexes corrupts the source material.
But 60 years of flawless source material being cast aside and rewritten!
Old 05-27-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Don't ya know!
Old 05-27-15, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This movie isn't the same Doctor Strange I read in 1960!!! This movie sucks!!!
Old 05-27-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm not all that attached to the Dr. Strange comic/character, so a change like that, while not what I'd prefer, isn't that big of a deal to me.

I'd also prefer that Hank Pym be Ant-Man, but at least he'll still be the guy developing and testing the technology.

Frankly, I'm not really looking forward to Dr. Strange (just like I wasn't looking forward to Guardians all that much).
Old 05-27-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

They just offered her the role because Conan O'Brien turned it down.
Old 05-27-15, 04:58 PM
Banned

I thought it was because Elly Jackson (La Roux) was too young for the role.

She REALLY REALLY looks like a young Swinton.
Old 05-27-15, 05:37 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the name to Strange Looking People.
Old 05-27-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Ooooooh.

Dude. Tilda Swinton played Gabriel in Constantine, my introduction to her when it was released. She is fucking amazing. I also find her wildly attractive for some reason. She has such a unique look to her that it attracts me. That voice too. Amazing actor, she is.
Yeah, pretty much the only thing Constantine got right was the depiction of Gabriel and Satan; not totally accurate to the comics, but they were definitely in the "spirit" of the source material.
Old 05-27-15, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Swinton has a somewhat curious androgynous look to her. If they make her gender indeterminate (it's Pat!) that could lend the character an eerie, other-wordly quality that would absolutely fit and look damn near inspired.

If they make her gender-specific as a woman, I would view that as more affirmative action style pandering than anything else since the above alternative is a hell of a lot more in keeping with the spirit of the property.
Old 05-28-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

So they are introducing the character of Death into the movie. No surprise really. It will be interesting to see who they get for the role. I guess someone like Angelina Jolie would be an easy choice, but not sure Marvel would go so predictable. Just some hot chick who has no lines is good enough i guess.
Old 05-28-15, 08:48 AM
Banned

Well.... depends on how they show death. Sometimes she's an actual body w/ skin and etc. Other times... she's a skeleton in a robe.

I always typically see her in the latter. And, within the comics, the skeleton frame is THE look for her but... an actual body works better if she's an active persona like she is at times in the comics. She is really generic looking so pretty much anyone could make her their own design by what is needed for the role in this one, more so than others.
Old 05-28-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Selling a talking skeleton in the context a movie would be really, really hard to do. I love DC's Death though .
Old 05-29-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah the visage of Death changes from a beautiful woman to skeleton a lot, but in the Infinity Gauntlet series the character was mostly seen as a woman. It will be interesting and it would be great to see a great version of Mephisto brought to the storyline now that Marvel have the rights to Ghost Rider back. I still think that they will have Loki take the part that Mephisto played in the Infinity Gauntlet story for the big screen.
Old 05-29-15, 10:50 AM
Banned

Did she ever talk? I can't remember.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.