Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Lionsgate / Saban To Reboot Power Rangers As Movie Franchise

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Are those released theatrically in Japan, or do they go video ala OVAs?
Theatrically, even the short ones, which are often paired with similar Toei movie spinoffs of the ongoing Kamen Rider and Ultraman franchises.
Old 05-08-14, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lionsgate / Saban To Reboot ‘Power Rangers’ As Movie Franchise

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The first movie was released while the show was still on the air yet it exists as a separate continuity.

Yeah, I still don't get it. I'll assume this is a Game of Thrones or Girls reference and move on.
The first movie isn't really a separate continuity. Yeah, it has a character that's not in the series, but aside from that, it's basically just a slightly different version of the story about how they got their ninja powers. The Tengas were in both, as were the zords.

I still don't know if Zordon was in the tube during the series or not. They never really explain it.
Old 05-08-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

So are they going to come up with some American-centric Zords or something? I mean, they have to push the toys, and while they skipped the Sentai Gobuster entirely I don't see that making a great movie.
Old 05-08-14, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
They do movie versions of sentai series every year in Japan. Some of them are pretty good. And some are pretty short, like just over an hour.

This one, GOKAIGER GOSEIGER SUPER SENTAI 199 HERO GREAT BATTLE (2011), reunited tons of past sentai heroes, including Kenji Oba (Space Sheriff Gavan, KILL BILL VOL. 1), who'd starred in two different sentai series, "Battle Fever J" and "Denjiman," in 1979-81.
I don't even know who Andy is; how the hell am I supposed to understand this?
Old 05-09-14, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by HellTrack
The first movie isn't really a separate continuity. Yeah, it has a character that's not in the series, but aside from that, it's basically just a slightly different version of the story about how they got their ninja powers. The Tengas were in both, as were the zords.

I still don't know if Zordon was in the tube during the series or not. They never really explain it.
The first movie has always been categorized as non-canon.
Old 05-09-14, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The first movie has always been categorized as non-canon.
I agree. But like I said, aside from having a character that wasn't in the show, and also them getting their powers from a different person, the movies isn't all that different from how it happened in the show.
Old 05-09-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was an episode in the series where they got the Ninja Zords (the ones they got in the movie) that was different from the movie. Can't remember anything about it other then knowing it was different then the movie version.

Also remember the Ninja Zords didn't stay around that long before they changed Zords yet again.
Old 05-10-14, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
There was an episode in the series where they got the Ninja Zords (the ones they got in the movie) that was different from the movie. Can't remember anything about it other then knowing it was different then the movie version.

Also remember the Ninja Zords didn't stay around that long before they changed Zords yet again.
They changed Zords because they were using the next season's footage from Japan (Kakurangers). In Japan, Toei changes the series name, casts, costumes and zords every year and have been since 1975. The American Power Rangers franchise didn't start doing that regularly until PR Turbo changed casts mid-season and that led to PR in Space, PR Lost Galaxy, etc.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-10-14 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-10-14, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved the Rangers as a kid. That probably stopped a bit after the Ninja Zords came in. I remember liking the movie. This whole thing raises my eyebrow a bit, to see wtf happens.

Seeing what little I have of anything related to this franchise from my start of it to now as an overview ? It's nothing special. The action isn't even all that great. But holy fuck was it neat to see giant monsters fight robots as a kid. That was what I pretty much waited for the whole time. Cuz it was kind of boring for me as kid till the Zords came on.
Old 05-10-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I don't even know who Andy is; how the hell am I supposed to understand this?
It's obviously from Game of Thrones or Girls. I forget which.
Old 08-13-14, 09:05 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

If this summer’s TMNT reboot wasn’t enough to whet your 90’s nostalgia appetite, a second course is just 344 days away: Lionsgate has announced that it will release the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie on July 22, 2016.

Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller (Thor) wrote the script based on a story by Robert Orci (Star Trek) that reinvents the tale of ordinary high school kids who possess the power to save the world. The color-coordinated crime fighters first jump-kicked into the national consciousness with a 1993 Fox Kids TV series, and just two years later Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie hit screens.

Though speculation abounds, no director or casting has been announced. The film’s release date will put the Rangers up against royalty, in a sense—Guy Ritchie’s King Arthur is slated to hit theaters the same day.
Old 08-13-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Story by Robert Orci? I can't wait for this prequel reboot that shows that Tommy was always destined to be the Green/White Ranger and its sequel that will become a retread of one of the first two movies during its final act.
Old 08-13-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
If this summer’s TMNT reboot wasn’t enough to whet your 90’s nostalgia appetite, a second course is just 344 days away: Lionsgate has announced that it will release the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie on July 22, 2016.
Old 08-13-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by My Other Self
You have to think 4th dimensionally.
Old 08-13-14, 09:59 PM

I guess the need a new editor at EW.
Old 08-13-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bring back Judd Lynn. Bring back Judd Lynn. Bring back Judd Lynn. Bring back Judd Lynn. If I keep saying it, maybe it'll come true.
Old 09-29-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Power Rangers Movie Reboot Cast: Chloe Grace Moretz Confirms Role As Pink Ranger!

Chloe Grace Moretz has been reportedly added to the Power Rangers Movie reboot cast as the Pink Ranger!

MTV News reports that producers of the movie have been in talks with Liam Neeson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Liam Hemsworth and Jack Gleeson about the project and it seems that Chloe Grace Moretz has accepted their terms and she is now the Pink Ranger in the Power Rangers movie reboot cast as reported by the Movie News Hound.

MTV reported before that Liam Hemsworth, Chloe Grace Moretz and Jack Gleeson are hinted to become the Power Rangers in the reboot along with Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Chung, and Roshon Feegan. As for Liam Neeson, ComicBookMovie.com reports that he will play the role of Power Rangers mentor, Zordon in the movie.

One of the original Power Ranger cast members, Jason David Frank, confirmed that he would appear in the movie as a former Power Ranger that will help train the new heroes under Zordon's orders.

Meryl Streep is in talks to play the villain Rita Repulsa while MADtv comedians Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key are rumored to portray Bulk and Skull in the movie.

Fans have debated on Liam Hemsworth's role as the Red Ranger and that the role should be played by "Twilight" star Taylor Lautner while others wanted "Divergent" star Theo James for the part.

Here's what MTV thinks about Liam Hemsworth's being the Red Ranger.

"The Red Ranger is essentially the most red-blooded (get it?), bro-y Power Ranger, and the de facto leader. He's got the good looks, and he's built like a rock. Sounds like a Hemsworth to us, and since Lionsgate, who's producing the movie, already has a nice relationship with Liam from the 'Hunger Games'movies, he seems like the best choice."

Chloe Grace Moretz allegedly said in an interview with MTV News that she is excited to play a "kick-ass" character once again. "Pink Ranger is so cool. I'm getting excited to play another kick-ass lady like Hit-Girl".
I really dig this casting.
Old 09-29-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

MTV reported before that Liam Hemsworth, Chloe Grace Moretz and Jack Gleeson are hinted to become the Power Rangers in the reboot along with Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Chung, and Roshon Feegan.
Black guy for the black ranger, check. Asian girl for the yellow ranger, check. Sounds about right!
Old 09-29-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

When asked about the Pink Ranger's costume, Moretz asked, "can you make it more purple?"
Old 09-29-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Black guy for the black ranger, check. Asian girl for the yellow ranger, check. Sounds about right!
I always felt it was a missed opportunity not casting a Native American (or a Russian) as the Red Ranger.
Old 09-29-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

That's quite a diversity in age. Also Joffrey as a ranger?
Old 09-29-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought Gleeson was quitting acting, too.
Old 09-29-14, 07:27 PM

That article isn't legit.

It was taken from who MTV would cast... http://www.mtv.com/news/1821392/powe...-fantasy-cast/
Old 09-29-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
That article isn't legit.

It was taken from who MTV would cast... http://www.mtv.com/news/1821392/powe...-fantasy-cast/
Yeah, I think the Meryl Streep as Rita Repulsa bit is a dead giveaway.
Old 09-29-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although I see no mention of Liam Neeson as Zordon in the MTV article. Yeah, I got nothing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.