Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

I was afraid to take my son to see this on opening weekend, but thankfully it wasn't crowded.

More than half the crowd did not have any kids.

It wasn't as awful as I thought it would be.
Old 03-26-17, 07:48 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The typography used for the Title Card as well as the composition was definitely an attempt at giving the film a more serious tone. Even though Haim Saban but the squash on it, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone involved with this film had seen the short film, Power/Rangers, that Adi Shankar produced back in 2015.

As others have mentioned, even though there was an attempt at a more serious tone, it's ridiculously inconsistent. Having that opening scene (which feels like an extension of sorts to Adi Shankar's short film), then transitioning into penis jokes was a bit confusing. The film doesn't quite know if it wants to be all out serious or goofy as hell.

Also I didn't think about this today but the jarring (short) introduction of the remixed original theme was a bit weird.
Not just the typography, but the fact that it was after the scene with Jason. It would've made more sense directly after the prologue scene with Zordon and Rita. I just didn't get it.

I agree, the theme music was jarring and didn't work in the scene. It should've been strictly an instrumental / electric guitar version. No "Go Go Power Rangers" should've been used. It was total fan service that didn't fit the tone of the film at all.
Old 03-26-17, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I quite enjoyed it. I thought it did a good job modernizing the characters while still being true enough to the original show. I liked that they spent so much time building everything up so that when they finally did morph, it felt like a big deal. Of course, I'm the target audience for this movie - I grew up watching the MMPR daily and was a huge fan as a kid. Glad to see it hit the upper end of expectations at the box office. Hope we get a sequel.
Old 03-26-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Not just the typography, but the fact that it was after the scene with Jason. It would've made more sense directly after the prologue scene with Zordon and Rita. I just didn't get it.
That was definitely a strange decision, which this film has in spades.

Last edited by asianxcore; 03-26-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-30-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

As a longtime Power Rangers fan who has watched each season since the show premiered during the month I turned 40, I have to say that the positives of the movie outweighed the negatives. I thought the script was good and the young actors really good. I was skeptical going in, but they won me over. They embraced the Power Rangers ethos. I was quite moved, actually. However, I wish they hadn’t taken so long to morph (90 minutes!). They should have had an earlier scene where they all morphed together and then got defeated in their initial battle and had to go back for more training before it would all work.

But I didn't like the direction or design scheme. I was annoyed by how dark everything was. I like light and color in movies. If I want visual darkness, I’ll watch a 1940s film noir. I also hated the constantly roaming camera and the jittery POV shots. And let’s not get started on the hiphop/rap soundtrack. “Get off my lawn!”

I tried to see this on Sunday but it was sold-out, so I saw it in Manhattan on a weekday afternoon and it was a multiplex screen that had a balcony with excellent sightlines and I had the balcony to myself. The problem with that is that by not seeing it in a sold-out house, I missed the crowd reaction to the many applause moments.

I’ll support the sequels.
Old 04-04-17, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I have never seen an episode or movie before this one. I was neither the age or gender demographic. I had a good time with it. I did think there was barely any action and that they took too long to morph. And the trailer has Go Go Power Rangers but I don't remember that from the movie.

It's getting a lot better audience review than critic review, and I think it's because critics are wrongly searching for a movie in there whereas audiences just want a couple of hours of corny campy cheesy fun.

My nephew grew up with the PR and liked it.

Why did it change from Saban's PR to PR? Was he unsatisfied with the final product?
Old 07-07-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
This movie was a very mixed bag for me which honestly reminded me a lot of Josh Trank's Fantastic Four movie.
That was my first thought as well once I finished watching it. Just like Fantastic Four, I thought they did a decent job setting up the movie, just to have the last act fall apart. I'm glad they changed some of the back story and added a couple cool ideas,
Spoiler:
like having Rita as a former ranger that was power hungry and turned evil.
The original TV series was extremely cheesy, so I thought they did a good job trying to lay a foundation to start out a new franchise. Hopefully they have a second chance with a sequel now that they got the backstory stuff out of the way.
Spoiler:
I also liked the end how they teased Tommy coming in for the second movie.

The movie isn't going to blow anyone away, but I would recommend checking it out. Our kids loved it as well.
Old 07-07-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
It's funny how diverse they tried to make them though. You have a White, Latina, Black, Asian and Indian characters with one being autistic and one being a lesbian. It's like playing diversity bingo.
This is also very true I'm a little surprised one of them wasn't in a wheelchair.
Old 07-07-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
This is also very true I'm a little surprised one of them wasn't in a wheelchair.
Hey, for a few seasons there, since the TV show has been filmed in New Zealand for the last 14 years, they made sure to have Maoris in every cast. Then they stopped that to make it look more Southern Californian like the original MMPR and hide the New Zealand origins. The current season, PR Ninja Steel, looks more like the original MMPR than any season in a long time.