Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Well, let the 90s reboots begin. I think I'm getting JDF's autograph this year at Comic-Con. This seems decades late and I, as a fan of the show because of its old mythology and the occasional nods to it newer series (I've heard recent Judd Lynn seasons have been good; what happened to Jackie Marchand?), so a reboot doesn't excite me that much, but the 90s nostalgia may get people into seats. Hey, open mind. Could be fun. This was the embodiment of my childhood. Which makes me depressed, the more I lament my lost youth.
Old 02-17-17, 01:13 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ziA4JSahm1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know that I could bring myself to watch this in the theater, but I honestly don't hate what I've seen in the last two trailers.
Old 02-18-17, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I don't know that I could bring myself to watch this in the theater, but I honestly don't hate what I've seen in the last two trailers.
No way could I be seen in public going to this but I have to admit, that trailer doesn't look bad. I would definitely rent this.
Old 02-18-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
No way could I be seen in public going to this but I have to admit, that trailer doesn't look bad. I would definitely rent this.
When the first Digimon movie opened in theaters in 2000, I was the only adult in the theater at my screening. In fact, I was the only PERSON in the theater!
Old 03-20-17, 09:24 AM

Only a few reviews, but currently 60%: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/power_rangers_2017
Old 03-20-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Only a few reviews, but currently 60%: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/power_rangers_2017
Down to 50%
Old 03-20-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Lionsgate / Saban To Reboot Power Rangers As Movie Franchise

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
White guy is Red
White gal is Pink.
Asian guy is Black
Black Guy is Blue

All we need is yellow now.

The guy they got for the Blue Ranger has some fucked up eyes.
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Yellow will be an LGBT character or maybe a Mexican.
Looks like I was right on the money or Dean Isrealite reads dvdtalk.

Article contains some spoilers.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/power-r...130607222.html
Old 03-22-17, 08:06 PM

‘Power Rangers’ Producer: ‘We Already Have a Six-Movie Arc’
http://variety.com/2017/film/spotlig...rs-1202013633/
Old 03-22-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL that they think there will be 6 Power Ranger films.
Old 03-23-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

5/10 Only slightly less hokey than the tv show.
Old 03-24-17, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Judging by the reviews I think they will stick with the 1 movie arc.

For me Power Rangers are like Ninja Turtles... I just don't get the appeal. Be interesting to see if this flops at the weekend.
Old 03-24-17, 07:18 AM

I went to see this last night. I was a HUGE Rangers fan as a kid. It's been so long since I watched the original series, though. I did check out a few episodes on Netflix.

The first hour of the movie I really liked. The prologue was interesting. I thought where they placed the title card was really strange and lacked impact. The effects, up to a certain point, looked good.

I thought all of the actors were generally really good in their roles. The standout being "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl's" RJ Cyler as Billy. I really liked the new Pink Ranger And Elizabeth Banks is still hot as hell even when she looks a mess as Rita.

The movie kind of fell apart for me once they actually morphed and became the Rangers. I didn't think much of the CGI in the movie from here on. The Zords all looked so muddled. The Ranger suits weren't AS bad as I thought they'd be. And... Krispy Kreme... what the fuck?

One of the biggest issues I had was it didn't necessarily capture the spirit of the show. A big part of that comes down to martial arts and athleticism NOT being engraved into the characters. The original characters were involved in the community center and martial arts program and it really brought the "do good" nature of the characters. There isn't much of that here as they are all flawed. I feel like they could've kept the flaws but still incorporated some more of this in.

Stick around for a mid-credits tease.

Last edited by dex14; 03-24-17 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-24-17, 10:16 AM

Saban's Power Rangers dug up $3.6 million Thursday night as Lionsgate's new take on the five teens with morphin' powers began its rollout in theaters. Meanwhile, Sony's space horror-thriller Life earned $800,000 in previews, and Warner Bros.' CHIPs also opens wide this weekend.

Power Rangers is directed by Dean Israelite and follows five teens (Dacre Montgomery, Naomi Scott, RJ Cyler, Ludi Lin, Becky G) in a small town who discover artifacts that allow them to morph into crime-fighting heroes called The Power Rangers. They are tasked with learning to use their new skills in order to save their town from destruction by a power-hungry villain (Elizabeth Banks). Bryan Cranston also stars in the film based on the hit TV series that first hit the small screen in the '90s.

The PG-13-rated film is projected to earn $30 million to $40 million in its domestic debut.
Old 03-24-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I hope this does well so we can get a sequel. Cause I'm guessing the next villain will be Lord Zedd? Even rewatching the second season Zedd kicked so much ass.
Old 03-25-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I really wanted to like this. I didn't go in with huge expectations but hoped to be surprised. Honestly though I thought it was pretty bad.

I'll talk a bit more potential spoiler type information below so in case anyone doesn't want to read them I'll tag it that way and forewarn.

Spoiler:
The biggest problem it has is that it's way too long for it's own good. On top of that it feels like there's all this build up and then you see the team in their suits for not even five minutes before they take control of the Zords. The Zords I didn't think looked bad individually but Megazord looked like ass. Also how cheap that they didn't even show it form. They fall into a pit and then Megazord just emerges.

The main Ranger cast I mostly liked. Not perfect but a pretty decent group and I felt like they had good chemistry. Also Alpha didn't bother me too badly in the film. He looks goofy but he wasn't annoying like in the show. The Ranger suits I actually didn't think were too bad we just didn't see enough of them.

Goldar and the Putties looked awful. At least the on the series originally Goldar had some defining characteristics. In this he's just a blob of gold that looks like shit. The Putties weren't even putty like either but concrete creatures basically. Say what you will about the villains on the show being cheesy but at least they were kind of creative a lot of times, these designs just felt lazy.

The story starts strong enough I think and some of the teen drama stuff I didn't mind. A lot of it was pretty hokey though. I realize the show was too but some of it was pretty dumb like the miners or nobody piecing together anything from the train wreck. Also Zordon kind of came off as an ass in this until the end. Basically seemed like he was using the new team so he could come back until he has a change of heart and opts to save Billy instead apparently.

Overall not a very great film. I feel like there's some potential within the film but I mostly feel like it didn't work.
Old 03-25-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

They're saying that Life and ChIps are bombs. I 'll be seeing Chips on BD, along with Life.
Old 03-25-17, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yesterday I learned that Saban is pronounced 'Sa-bahn' instead of 'Say-bn' which is how I'd been saying it in my mind for 25 years.
I'm so not interested but will be rolling out for this just for the Regal-Lionsgate digital copy deal.
Old 03-26-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Even though it's inconsistent and filled with iffy dialogue, I enjoyed first quarter (or so) of the film. Basically, the introduction of the Rangers.

I also enjoyed Elizabeth Banks' performance to a point. The script doesn't know if it wants her to be menacing and creepy or silly. Given the origin story they gave her, I appreciate how her costume ties back to that.

Other than that, a few seconds of Cameos and a Post-Credits Scene we all saw coming, this film was a dud for me.
Old 03-26-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

$40 million dollar opening weekend for Power Rangers doesn't seem too bad.
Old 03-26-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This movie was a very mixed bag for me which honestly reminded me a lot of Josh Trank's Fantastic Four movie. I'm not a super Power Rangers fan but I loved the show as a kid and still watch the old episodes occasionally.

The biggest problem is that I didn't really like any of the rangers. By the end of the movie the only two who had really grown on me were Kimberly and Billy. Jason is ok but nothing about him really makes you believe that he's the leader. Honestly I wish they cast KJ Appa from Riverdale in that role. Zack isn't very interesting and Trini is not just uninteresting she comes across as a bitch most of the movie. The fact that all of them are your typically broken emo juveniles doesn't help any of them stick out either. It's funny how diverse they tried to make them though. You have a White, Latina, Black, Asian and Indian characters with one being autistic and one being a lesbian. It's like playing diversity bingo. Elizabeth Banks is fine as Rita and Cranston is fine as Zordan. Honestly they are probably the best parts. I also liked how they made Rite the sixth ranger. I thought that was pretty neat.

The movie also really, really drags and feels overly long. They try to do their best to give the rangers development but it goes on so long that I found myself checking my watch a couple times wondering when things will get moving. When they finally morph in the last thirty minutes I found myself enjoying it more. However Goldar and Megazord looked awful. They don't even set Megazord up at all. They fall into a pit and then Megazord is already formed when they get out.

Another problem is that this movie has two different tones. On the one hand it's trying to be a serious, grounded and somewhat dark movie. On the other hand you have Elizabeth Banks chewing scenery, Krispy Kreme being a major plot point, pop music playing in the final fight scene and Megazord doing hip gyrations after defeating Goldar.

Overall I would probably give this a 2/5. With the exception of a cameo, and the post credits scene I didn't really care for it much. It feels like there was potential for something good but it doesn't come together all the way. I still think in terms of this type of movie the 1990 Ninja Turtles movie is still the gold standard.
Old 03-26-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to watch this show with the kids in the 90's. I believe we saw at least one of the movies in the theater as well. I just liked it because I thought Amy Jo Johnson was cute and once I found out she was in her 20's I didn't feel like a creep any more.

Too bad they seemed to have screwed the pooch, I think it could have been a good property. If I go on a business trip and it is still playing I might see it anyway just for Elizabeth Banks. Just like in the Hunger Games she can be really wild.
Old 03-26-17, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked the first hour or so - found it really enjoyable. But then it started dragging before going into Transformers action and destruction which also bored me.
Old 03-26-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I was hoping to get in an early screening of this at the local multiplex (virtually the only movie theater in the northeast Bronx and one of only two in the entire Bronx) before going to the gym. I got there at 10 AM for a 10:15AM show and it was sold out. I've never encountered a sold-out screening at this place before. Next time, I'll go into Manhattan on a weekday morning (on a school day!) when I want to see something with this much kiddie appeal.
Old 03-26-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The prologue was interesting. I thought where they placed the title card was really strange and lacked impact.
The typography used for the Title Card as well as the composition was definitely an attempt at giving the film a more serious tone. Even though Haim Saban but the squash on it, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone involved with this film had seen the short film, Power/Rangers, that Adi Shankar produced back in 2015.

As others have mentioned, even though there was an attempt at a more serious tone, it's ridiculously inconsistent. Having that opening scene (which feels like an extension of sorts to Adi Shankar's short film), then transitioning into penis jokes was a bit confusing. The film doesn't quite know if it wants to be all out serious or goofy as hell.

Also I didn't think about this today but the jarring (short) introduction of the remixed original theme was a bit weird.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.