Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Old 05-12-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
re: Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Diane Lane clarified that she wasn't able to make a comment on the film.
Old 05-12-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Doesn't matter. People still ran with it. "SEE!! WE TOLD YOU IT'S GONNA SUCK!!!".
Old 05-12-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Diane Lane clarified that she wasn't able to make a comment on the film.
Probably because Josh Brolin would punch her in the mouth. Again.

Thanos don't play.
Old 05-12-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Diane is hot for her age... she can get some... MORE! lol
Old 05-15-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Take the video below with a grain of salt but its also potentially spoiler heavy. Its a breakdown of the plot of this film and supposedly the source this information is from has leaked plot details about Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad which wound up being true.
Spoiler:
Old 05-16-17, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Take the video below with a grain of salt but its also potentially spoiler heavy. Its a breakdown of the plot of this film and supposedly the source this information is from has leaked plot details about Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad which wound up being true.
Spoiler:
Doesn't sound too bad, actually.

Still feels like the DCEU is moving too quickly, though...

I mean,
Spoiler:
within the span of the first five movies, Superman is introduced, dies, is resurrected as a bad guy, and becomes a good guy again.

In MCU terms, it feels like going from Iron Man-Thor-Guardians of the Galaxy-Captain America Civil War-Avengers in the first phase. Not a lot of breathing room or world-building. I don't really care for the way they're introducing so many characters in ensemble pieces before they can stand on their own: Batman and Wonder Woman in BvSoJ, Joker in Suicide Squad, Aquaman and Green Lanterns in Justice League. I'd rather see this version of Batman established in his own movie before facing off against Superman, the Joker should have been introduced in that Batman film before getting a supporting role in Suicide Squad, etc.
Old 05-16-17, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if this report is to be believed, that summary might not be "current" anymore.

But if it is, I fucking called that shit. Fuck you, WB. Fuck you.
Old 05-16-17, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Doesn't sound too bad, actually.

Still feels like the DCEU is moving too quickly, though...

I mean,
Spoiler:
within the span of the first five movies, Superman is introduced, dies, is resurrected as a bad guy, and becomes a good guy again.

In MCU terms, it feels like going from Iron Man-Thor-Guardians of the Galaxy-Captain America Civil War-Avengers in the first phase. Not a lot of breathing room or world-building. I don't really care for the way they're introducing so many characters in ensemble pieces before they can stand on their own: Batman and Wonder Woman in BvSoJ, Joker in Suicide Squad, Aquaman and Green Lanterns in Justice League. I'd rather see this version of Batman established in his own movie before facing off against Superman, the Joker should have been introduced in that Batman film before getting a supporting role in Suicide Squad, etc.
I'm more concerned about
Spoiler:
Batman being involved in more ways than necessary. Really? Flash doesn't realize his full potential until Batman helps him? Not the Speed Force? Batman?

Come on.
Old 05-16-17, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or the fact that
Spoiler:
Steppenwolf kills off the League and they get brought back because The Flash uses the speed force to go back in time to save them. Seriously, fuck that. It always feels like whoever writes these films feels like they need to add in something overly dramatic just to immediately undo it. Why would you unite these characters only to have them apparently be so weak that the villain kills them off in their first battle as a team? Just dumb.
Old 05-16-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or the fact that
Spoiler:
Steppenwolf kills off the League and they get brought back because The Flash uses the speed force to go back in time to save them. Seriously, fuck that. It always feels like whoever writes these films feels like they need to add in something overly dramatic just to immediately undo it. Why would you unite these characters only to have them apparently be so weak that the villain kills them off in their first battle as a team? Just dumb.
their full potential isnt realized maybe?
Old 05-16-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
Spoiler:
Even so to me that just makes them sound weak. I could see if maybe they were on the verge of defeat and maybe one of them got killed by Steppenwolf or a Parademon or something but all but The Flash getting killed only to be reversed sounds pretty lame. Especially in their first outing if that happens I don't know why they'd do that. I could see if anything maybe a later battle with Darkseid a couple films down the that kind of thing happening maybe since he's kind of the ultimate DC bad guy. Even then though it's not exactly how I'd like to see things go down. Plus it really downplays what's at stake if every time a character gets killed that it can just be undone.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-16-17 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
Old 05-16-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Well, if this report is to be believed, that summary might not be "current" anymore.

But if it is, I fucking called that shit. Fuck you, WB. Fuck you.
That report is offers nothing.
Old 05-16-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 05-16-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

It's mine
Old 05-16-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Umberto Gonzalez answered one of mine. Then removed it.
Old 05-22-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

MAY 22, 2017 2:51pm PT by Borys Kit
Zack Snyder Steps Down From 'Justice League' to Deal With Family Tragedy

The filmmaker's daughter died by suicide in March, prompting him to take a break from work and Joss Whedon to finish the Warner Bros. superhero pic: "I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me."

Superheroes have always been about doing the right thing in the hardest of circumstances. Now Zack Snyder, one of the biggest filmmakers in the genre and the director of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and the upcoming Justice League, finds himself in just such a situation.

Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter he is stepping away from Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star DC Comics superhero mega-movie that is in post-production, in order to deal with the sudden death of his daughter. Snyder's wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on Justice League, also is taking a break to focus on the healing of their family.

Stepping in to shepherd the movie through post and the shooting of some additional scenes will be Joss Whedon, the Avengers filmmaker and creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With Whedon's help, the movie is still on track for its Nov. 17 release date.

Snyder’s daughter, Autumn Snyder, died by suicide in March at age 20. Her death has been kept private, with only a small inner circle aware of what happened, even as the movie was put on a two-week break for the Snyders to deal with the immediate effects of the tragedy. Zack Snyder says he initially was eager to return to the film, which stars Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller.

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was way through it,” says an emotional Snyder in an interview Monday in his office on the Warner Bros. lot with Deborah sitting by his side. “The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all consuming. And in the last two months I’ve come to the realization …I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”

The studio is fully behind the move. “What they are going through is unimaginable, and my heart — our hearts — go out to them, says Warner Bros. Pictures president Toby Emmerich.

One of the first things the studio floated was the possibility of pushing back the release date of the movie, but the Snyders decided against that suggestion. Warners also extended Snyder's first-look deal to give him time to work on other planned projects when he returns to work.

Snyder, after screening a rough cut of Justice League for fellow filmmakers and friends, wanted to add additional scenes, so he brought Whedon on board to write them. But as he prepared to shoot the scenes in England, Snyder realized it was not the time to leave home. “The directing is minimal and it has to adhere to the style and tone and the template that Zack set,” says Emmerich. “We’re not introducing any new characters. It’s the same characters in some new scenes. He’s handing a baton to Joss but the course has really been set by Zack. I still believe that despite this tragedy, we’ll still end up with a great movie.”

This isn’t the first time that Warners has had to deal with the unthinkable affecting a high-profile DC movie. In 2008, Heath Ledger passed away after shooting had wrapped for The Dark Knight but prior to the movie being finished and released. The tragedy put the studio and filmmaker Christopher Nolan in a very delicate position of balancing mourning with the demands of releasing a tentpole.

The Internet and comic book movie fans being what they are, Snyder already is anticipating what what some DC loyalists may think.

“Here’s the thing, I never planned to make this public,” he says. “I thought it would just be in the family, a private matter, our private sorrow that we would deal with. When it became obvious that I need to take break, I knew there would be narratives created on the internet. They’ll do what they do. The truth it…I’m past caring about that kind of thing now.”

The death of Autumn, Zack's daughter from his first marriage (in addition to Autumn, he and Deborah have been raising seven kids and step-kids) has brought a new perspective and a new focus for him. “I want the movie to be amazing and I’m a fan, but that all pales pretty quickly in comparison," he says. “I know the fans are going to be worried about the movie but there are seven other kids that need me,” he says. “ In the end, it’s just a movie. It’s a great movie. But it’s just a movie.

Autumn, who was attending Sarah Lawrence College, loved “to write, to write, to write,” says Deborah. Their daughter had written a sci-fi fantasy novel in the first person. It featured a character who was an outsider and who had trouble fitting in.

Deborah is holding on to the thought that she was the first person her daughter gave the book to read, even now as the story takes on a new meaning under the circumstances. “You’re heading her voice,” Deborah says, fighting back tears.

The Snyders would like to someday see that manuscript published, with the proceeds going to a charity. “In the end, she didn’t make it, but her character does and I think there would be something cathartic for people,” says Zack.

The thought of his daughter’s writing prompts Zack to recall another memory. Autumn had a quote that she included in everything she wrote. (“Every. Single. Thing,” chuckles Zack). It’s from author Chris Palahniuk: “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”

“Maybe this helps,” Zack says.
Old 05-22-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Everything else aside, tragic.
Old 05-22-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, crazy.
Old 05-22-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't imagine.
Old 05-22-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Wow, and they kept that under wraps pretty well considering it's Hollywood.
Old 05-22-17, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Sucks. I wish him and his family all the best.
Old 05-22-17, 05:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

are Whedon and Snyder friends or is he just really really pissed at Marvel for some reason?
Old 05-22-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
are Whedon and Snyder friends or is he just really really pissed at Marvel for some reason?
With Whedon coming aboard Warner/DC to work on Batgirl, I assume he cultivated friendships with the studio. Plus, he has the experience to step in for such a huge project (even if it's just post work and reshoots). And it's entirely possible he and Snyder are friends.
Old 05-22-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's too bad about his daughter. Surprised that was able to not get out somehow. Definitely feel bad for him and his wife. Wasn't the news about Whedon doing Batgirl fairly recent? Like March sometime maybe. I'm guessing that maybe he just stepped up after what happened and offered to help if needed since he's done films of similar magnitude.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-22-17 at 06:06 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.