Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Ugh. I really hate that shit. It really takes away from a grounded reality. That last fight w/ Doomsday bothered me cuz of stuff like that. Like... it was too obvious it was cgi.
But it looks cool.
Old 05-12-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Doesn't Zack Snyder shoot about 90% of his stuff with greenscreen, anyway? Almost every scene he's filmed has a weird artificial look to it whether it's 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, or his DCEU stuff.
Old 05-12-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I posted about it in the Civil War thread, but basically all of the Airport scene was green screen too
Old 05-12-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Doesn't Zack Snyder shoot about 90% of his stuff with greenscreen, anyway? Almost every scene he's filmed has a weird artificial look to it whether it's 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, or his DCEU stuff.
I don't think it's so much that it's all CG that gives it that look, it's the hyper-stylized sheen that tells your brain something's 'off.'

I didn't have a problem with the Doomsday fight, but that's because it was a barren locale with no buildings, vehicles or civilians in the mix.
Old 05-12-16, 09:28 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

The problem with the doomsday fight was that it was like dark dark dark BRIGHT SHINING BLAST dark dark dark BRIGHT WHITE ENERY EXPLOSION dark dark etc...

Batfleck was cool tho
Old 05-13-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Between the cinematography and the rain, it was hard to tell what the hell was going on half the time.
Old 05-13-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm pretty sure that 300 was all green-screen. I don't know how much of his later films were or weren't, but I think that even though he shoots on 35mm, he processes the hell out of his shot in post. That'd certainly be my guess on the basis of how they look.
Old 05-13-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I posted about it in the Civil War thread, but basically all of the Airport scene was green screen too
But it was during the day and the action was easy to follow.
Old 05-13-16, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm pretty sure that 300 was all green-screen. I don't know how much of his later films were or weren't, but I think that even though he shoots on 35mm, he processes the hell out of his shot in post. That'd certainly be my guess on the basis of how they look.
Almost. There were some sets like that freaky orgy one . I don't think there was a green/blue screen in that one. But it was minimal sets and a lot of extension. So eveyrthing outside was CGI pretty much aside from what they were standing on.

But that's the difference. The Russo's tried to make it look real. To fit in w/ the world they have to play in along w/ what actors are literally there for this or that. Blending the false to fit in well w/ the physical. I can tell some shots are CGI or CGI extensions just by principle on the nature OF the shot in a realistic manner where it technically COULD be a real shot but wouldn't be based on how the films are made. But again... we get so much physical in there too. We get characters being characters in the moment. Damn near everything Webhead was CGI in there but I feel connected to him because he's acting real and moving to what I think a real Spider-Man would move based on a shit ton of years for reference. I can tell he's CGI but in my mind I can pass it cuz it's an actual character being true to itself. Rhodey, Stark, and others are always given a presence to not take you out of the moment. Snyder doesn't do that. He's very strict/rigid in how he does it. He goes TOO far in how much his CGI characters go. To the point where it just feels like animation. It doesn't feel real. Too loose at times. Cap 3 had such moments too but they're few compared to BvS. T'Challa's spinning kick thing was a bit too much for me cuz he moved weird in it but it's still not as loose as stuff in BvS.

There's a way to make your digital environment play real w/ what physical elements you have... and Snyder has gone way off the goddamn ranch on that part. He was fine w/ it in Watchmen. It actually looks great there cuz of how extreme natured that film is.

Add in.. he's processing it to the point where it just becomes too false of an image. There's so much shit going on in layers in his stuff that we're really just watching a guy in front of a screen.

Marvel does the same thing but they're not pulling the audience away from the characters. We feel that they're there cuz we're still never losing a character presence.

Also.. Doomsday was shit. Oh... wow. So WW, Supes, and Bats are interacting with something not really there. That's boring. You got to connect your audience to the real world. Not just create "cool" shots cuz cool shots are badass.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-13-16 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-13-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
But it looks cool.
Well, I guess that's all that matters. As long as it looks cool it doesn't have to make sense
Old 05-13-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Well, I guess that's all that matters. As long as it looks cool it doesn't have to make sense
That's Snyder's philosophy with regards to these films.

You obviously haven't read any of my recent posts re: Suck Snyder and his DCEU. Check your sarcasm detector.
Old 05-15-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Welcome to 2016. Enjoy your stay.
Old 05-15-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I was really disappointed when I started reading the details about BVS, so much so that (given the ridiculous last 45 minutes of MOS) I skipped it.

Now I just don't care. Snyder and WB drained the give a shit out of me regarding the DC Cinematic Universe.
Old 05-15-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Even if it was the airport scene seemed much more realistic to me than any of the fights in Batman V Superman. The whole film has this odd, artificial feel to it (almost like a video game or something).
Old 05-15-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Now I just don't care. Snyder and WB drained the give a shit out of me regarding the DC Cinematic Universe.
Frankly I agree. There was a point when if a comic book film was coming out I was there opening day no matter what. With these DC films though I'm going to be more choosy with what I go to see. I'll likely see most of them at some point but may end up waiting for them to hit a premium channel or something. I'm just not that excited about their films at this point.
Old 05-29-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Jesse Eisenberg will be back as Lex Luthor in Justice League

Jesse Eisenberg has confirmed he will be returning as Lex Luthor in the new Justice League movie.

The Batman v Superman actor made the announcement at MCM London Comic Con that he will reprise the villain role for the next Zack Synder movie.

Eisenberg said production has already begun on the movie and he's just waiting to hear from the team/

He had previously said he was keen to take the role on again, saying he was "the most ideal character to play."

Ben Affleck will be executive producer on the movie as well as starring as Batman .

He will also be getting stuck in on the storyline with Synder and writer Chris Terrio.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/j...luthor-8076462
Old 05-29-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh how exciting one of the worst parts of Batman V Superman is back for more..
Old 05-29-16, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
Oh how exciting one of the worst parts of Batman V Superman is back for more..
I don't think he's to blame for how they wanted the character to go. He's actually a good actor. Just the characterization of the character didn't work out.
Old 05-29-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never been particularly fond of him as an actor. For everything decent he's done there's something else he's done that's shitty. I never saw him as a great choice for Luthor and even if he was under Darkseid's influence or something and that's why he was acting how he was I'm still not terribly excited to see more of him. Plus Luthor is one of the most overused villains of all time.
Old 05-29-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
He will also be getting stuck in on the storyline with Synder and writer Chris Terrio.
What does that even mean? And is the "He" pronoun referring to Affleck or Eisenberg?
Old 05-29-16, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've never been particularly fond of him as an actor. For everything decent he's done there's something else he's done that's shitty. I never saw him as a great choice for Luthor and even if he was under Darkseid's influence or something and that's why he was acting how he was I'm still not terribly excited to see more of him. Plus Luthor is one of the most overused villains of all time.
I don't think he's the actor most would have gone w/ Lex Luthor. Cuz... Lex Luthor is more well known (thankfully) to be a very charismatic, powerful, and intelligent to the point of dangerous w/ his resources.

The general actions Lex does isn't bad. If it was a different type of Luthor.. that could have gone better. But.. the way they made him be about it... wasn't the way that made Lex memorable at all. Made him very generic and unmemorable.

I think that no matter what... Eisenberg isn't who you cast as Luthor. He's still a boy compared to how Lex is more well known to be today. A man that can even phase you by standing there w/ you. He's got to have a physical nature to him in the way he does and say things. Eisenberg just doesn't match up to what Lex is. No matter how you do it w/ him.

Yes, Luthor is overplayed. WAY overplayed. If they had done a Luthor like we like him in the modern... I would have been okay w/ that. But we didn't. We got another quirky eccentric Lex.
Old 05-29-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I never liked Eisenberg for the role, but I find him decent enough in a few roles that they could have made it work had they gone a different direction with him.

I hope whatever role he has is minimal.
Old 05-29-16, 10:55 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think he's the actor most would have gone w/ Lex Luthor. Cuz... Lex Luthor is more well known (thankfully) to be a very charismatic, powerful, and intelligent to the point of dangerous w/ his resources.

The general actions Lex does isn't bad. If it was a different type of Luthor.. that could have gone better. But.. the way they made him be about it... wasn't the way that made Lex memorable at all. Made him very generic and unmemorable.

I think that no matter what... Eisenberg isn't who you cast as Luthor. He's still a boy compared to how Lex is more well known to be today. A man that can even phase you by standing there w/ you. He's got to have a physical nature to him in the way he does and say things. Eisenberg just doesn't match up to what Lex is. No matter how you do it w/ him.

Yes, Luthor is overplayed. WAY overplayed. If they had done a Luthor like we like him in the modern... I would have been okay w/ that. But we didn't. We got another quirky eccentric Lex.
It would be nice to see a Lex like in DC animated series/movies. Not sure what prompted the casting of Eisenberg.
Old 05-29-16, 11:06 PM
Banned

I'm guessing they wanted a younger guy Lex for some reason.

Like... Eisenberg isn't intimidating even by his actions that are threatening. Modern Lex was an intimidating man even when Wayne or Kent were around, suit or no suit. He was a man w/ power but also a man. He wasn't a boy which no matter what Eisenberg's age is.. he's still a kid pretty much by what he does and is characterized as.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-30-16 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-29-16, 11:20 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm guessing they wanted a younger guy Lex for some reason.

Like... Eisenberg isn't intimidating even by his actions that are threatening. Modern Lex was an intimidating man even when Wayne or Kent were around, suit or no suit. He was a man power but also a man. He wasn't a boy which no matter what Eisenberg's age is.. he's still a kid pretty much by what he does and is characterized as.
His Zuckerberg was more intimidating. He should have just channeled that character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.