Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I never understood why the makers of these superhero films couldn't stick a seconds-long shot of Iron Man or GL or someone flying through a frame in the distance. A single shot like that would a.) appease fanboys and b.) totally expand the star hero's universe.

I mean, all hell breaks loose in NY and the only hero that responds is Spider-man? No FF? No Avengers?
It can be done with the DC universe since Time Warner is the owner of that publisher. And had Smith's Superman Lives made it to screen, Batman would have had a cameo. And there was a time that Wolfgang Petersen was to direct a World's Finest film.

But it's harder to do with Marvel properties since various studios have the rights to various heroes. X-Men, FF, DD, SS and Elektra can be in the same universe if Fox ever decides to pull that off. Spider-man and Ghost Rider can with Sony. Hulk is Universal and Iron Man at Paramount. Until Marvel pulls its licenses back from studios, there will be no crossovers.
Old 02-24-07, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should just base it off the Detroit JLA.
Old 02-24-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they could sign Brandon Routh, Christian Bale, and whoever the new Wonder Woman will be to sign up for this and then fill the other roles with lesser known actors then that would be ideal. But I would fear those three top actors would demand too much money so you'd have top tier DC characters being cast by second tier Hollywood actors. We've already been there/done that with Fantastic Four.

Also, you would have to have a great story to justify throwing that much money into such a project. I would hope that they would pick a great story arc from the comics and remain faithful to it, but seeing that it would have so much money thrown into it there would be too many "producers" and studio execs that would demand certain things be changed, and those things are usually for the worst.

An animated movie wouldn't be nearly as high profile as a movie starring the top three actors from the DC related movies, but for fans you'd probably get a far more faithful story.
Old 02-24-07, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
I wasnt referring to the old campy stories, just the concept. Bats and supes would make an appearance after the rest of the team did all the work.
good idea you suggested but I bet everybody will want the big two. maybe they should just have a superman vs batman movie first then do JLA? It will still be at least 5 years away. they should at least make a green lantern, aquaman, flash, green arrow and wonder woman solo movies first.
Old 02-24-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand how any possible threat would cause Superman to need a team? Unless the JLA was attempting to rescue Superman why couldn't Superman just save the world on his own?
Old 02-24-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't understand how any possible threat would cause Superman to need a team? Unless the JLA was attempting to rescue Superman why couldn't Superman just save the world on his own?
After a comment like this, I'd assume you hadn't seen the show or read the comics.

Basically, the team up was about protecting Earth, not just their respected cities (Gotham, Metropolis, etc..). Obviously, Supes had the most power, but he's not invincible. There were several times during the animated show he was taken out of commission, by kryptonite or magic.
Old 02-24-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whatever colossal enemy that requires the strength of Superman, Batman and a bunch of other superheroes would require a budget of at least $400 million not to mention the hardest part of making the audience believing in the whole thing.

I'm assuming this movie is just a cheap way to squeeze out more lesser known heroes onto the screen.
Old 02-24-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Anyone ever see the Live action Justice League pilot they made some yeas ago? It had Major Winchester from M*A*S*H as the Martian Manhunter. It was mostly based on the campy comicbook version of the late 80's. Green Lantern was in it . I beleive it was the JKyle Raynor version. And fire and Ice were there. It was really bad.
Old 02-24-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
Anyone ever see the Live action Justice League pilot they made some yeas ago?
That was painful to watch. There are some clips up on YouTube for those who haven't seen it.
Old 02-25-07, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Whatever colossal enemy that requires the strength of Superman, Batman and a bunch of other superheroes would require a budget of at least $400 million not to mention the hardest part of making the audience believing in the whole thing.
Old 02-25-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I'm assuming this movie is just a cheap way to squeeze out more lesser known heroes onto the screen.

You're killin' me! Killin' me!!

Superman isn't even the most powerful hero in the DC Universe. Plus, there are things that Superman won't do that others will. In the comic, both Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman are around the same level as Supes in terms of strength and ability. In the cartoon they powered down Martian Manhunter and emphasized his psychic abilities over brute strength.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-25-07 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-25-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Off the top of my head:

Darkseid, Doomsday, Brainiac...
Old 02-25-07, 04:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Superman isn't even the most powerful hero in the DC Universe.
I take it you're referring to The Endless there? Or did you mean someone else?
Old 02-25-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

I think he meant that there are several people that have been "dumbed" down in strength. He already mentioned Wonder Woman and Martian ManHunter.
Old 02-25-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I figured Dr. Fate was pretty high on that list.
Old 02-25-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
COULD THIS BE WHAT THE JLA IS GOING TO BE - Direct to DVD animation?

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/indust...vd-movies.html

DC Comics, Warner Home Video and Warner Bros. Animation are jointly planning to produce and distribute a series of original "DC Universe" animated movies for DVD, with the films being animated and directed by acclaimed comic book creators and animators.

All the movies are to be rated as PG-13, and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Home Video. The first three will appear between 2007 and 2008, and will include:

Justice League: New Frontier - written by Stan Berkowitz, with Darwyn Cooke as story and visual consultant
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract - written by Marv Wolfman and Tom DeSanto, produced by DeSanto
Superman: Doomsday - produced by Bruce Timm and written by Duane Capizzi, from a story by Timm & Capizzi

"We are working closely with WHV and WBA to insure that the films honor the legacy of our great heroes. And we are lucky to have Marv Wolfman and Darwyn Cooke, two of the writers who created the source material for the films, involved in the project," said DC Comics President & Publisher Paul Levitz. "The creators bring a passion for the material and a level of creative ambition that will resonate with both DC Comics' fans who treasure the original stories and adults who love adventure, heroics and top-notch animation."

"We are thrilled to announce this unprecedented venture with DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation," said Ron Sanders, President, Warner Home Video. "This initiative is a testament to our commitment to bringing fans new and innovative content created by the most revered names in the comic industry."

Those involved in future releases will including award-winning writer/artist Darwyn Cooke (The New Frontier; Catwoman) and writer Marv Wolfman (The New Teen Titans), along with Bruce Timm (Justice League Unlimited, Batman: The Animated Series) and Tom DeSanto (executive producer of the first two X-Men films and producer of the forthcoming Transformers feature). Writer/producers Duane Capizzi (The Batman, The Batman vs. Dracula) and Stan Berkowitz (Justice League) will also be part of the creative team on the DC Universe films, with Timm serving as supervising producer on each of the titles.

Other DC products with films in development include Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 02-25-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TT: The Judas Contract? Didn't they somewhat cover this in the regular series already?
Old 02-25-07, 10:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
As much as I love the Justice League (I own almost every JL comic), if they had to team characters in a live action movie, I'd vote for a Dark Knight film.
Old 02-26-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I take it you're referring to The Endless there? Or did you mean someone else?

I'm saying that there are many "non-mystical" DC Comic characters as powerful, and more powerful than Superman. In fact, I was reading Captain Atom's bio this morning and it said that he can be as strong as Superman and Martian Manhunter depending on how he uses he energy based powers(from wiki).
Old 02-26-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
This may not be the placef or this question but I have to ask this. How could Wonder Woman fly in JL and JLU? I never knew she had that power. I always thought she got around the world in her invisible jet.
Old 02-26-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
This may not be the placef or this question but I have to ask this. How could Wonder Woman fly in JL and JLU? I never knew she had that power. I always thought she got around the world in her invisible jet.
She rides the wind, but they really do not hold to that in the comics/cartoons.
Old 02-26-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah Wonder Woman flying without the Invisible Plane always stumps those who don't follow the comics.
Old 08-01-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Latino Review is reporting that George Miller is on tap to direct the JLA movie...

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=2562
Old 08-01-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Man, that Superman: Doomsday movie sucked.. sucked bad!
Old 08-01-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What an odd choice. Babe: Pig in the City was the shit though so he gets my approval.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.