Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Old 08-09-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: Justice League Movie- Release date ?

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The Avengers audience was already involved with the characters for 4 years leading up to the movie. We knew who these people were (mostly) and were invested in their development, i.e. wanting to see Steve Rogers interact with the modern world, Thor's duty to protect Earth, Tony Stark become more responsible and altruistic, Black Widow whip out some titty, Hulk become more self-controlling, Hawkeye develop a personality, etc. Without all that sense of character arc, Avengers could have been just another Michael Bay-styled shitfest.
X-men was pretty successful w/o having to resort to backstories for every character. I'd venture to say most people know the origin of Superman/Batman and GL. Since WW, Flash and whoever else involved are likely to be secondary characters in the movie anyway, I don't think we necessarily need all these movies before hand to make a successful superhero movie. Would I love them all and see them? Of course, I would. But I think these characters are common enough in most people's mind's that they don't need all the backstory.
Old 08-09-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Thinking about it... the one big thing that DC/WB has in its back pocket to explain away the diffferent media variations of Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Legion of Super Heroes.

Crisis.
Are you saying they should open that can of worms? No way...

Even the other big event that usually brings a Justice League together, the tried and true alien invasion, may seem like a copycat of Avengers...
Old 08-09-12, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Thinking about it... the one big thing that DC/WB has in its back pocket to explain away the diffferent media variations of Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Legion of Super Heroes.

Crisis.

Adam West, the Batman of Earth-8, meets Michael Keaton, the Batman of Earth-45, and Christian Bale, the Batman of Earth-23.

A Crisis on the big screen could potentially be awesome, but anyone that isn't a comic book fan would be like "what the fuck is this shit?"

Originally Posted by fujishig
Even the other big event that usually brings a Justice League together, the tried and true alien invasion, may seem like a copycat of Avengers...
White martians would be cool and a way to setup Martian Manhunter. Or they could use Starro for another "what the fuck" reaction from the audience.
Old 08-09-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

Adam West, the Batman of Earth-8, meets Michael Keaton, the Batman of Earth-45, and Christian Bale, the Batman of Earth-23.

A Crisis on the big screen could potentially be awesome, but anyone that isn't a comic book fan would be like "what the fuck is this shit?"
At least it's not an actual reboot. Just a reset.

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Or they could use Starro for another "what the fuck" reaction from the audience.
Only if Capt Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew come along!
Old 08-09-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

what other kind of event/bad guy can you do with a team like that doesn't seem lame? alien invasion like with darkseid seems like the only logical choice.
Old 08-09-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How about using Doomsday as the choice? Stretch that out like they did in the comics thru the various heroes in single films after the JL film and culminate it in the death of Superman in either his own film or in the second JL film?
Old 08-09-12, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like..you mean have Doomsday beat the shit out of the others and then have him fight Supes in his?
Old 08-09-12, 06:48 PM
Banned

Stretch Doomsday out through the single hero films, like have Doomsday fight Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc in their solo films and then have The Death of Superman at the end? That would get kind of monotonous seeing Doomsday as the villain in every single film, even more so than Luthor in all the old Superman films.

Something they could do though is set up Doomsday as a post-credit sequence. Remember in the comics how the last page of every comic leading to The Death of Superman showed Doomsday pounding away at his prison with the caption "Doomsday is coming!" and then finally he breaks through and it changes to "Doomsday is here!" That would be neat as a post-credit sequence.

Spoiler:

Old 08-09-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Any story that involves Darkseid throwing a punch is an automatic failure, IMO.
Old 08-09-12, 07:17 PM
Banned

What about Darkseid sitting on a couch?
Old 08-09-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 08-09-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Old 08-10-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doomsday is a weak character, he's a plot device, not really a villain.
Old 08-10-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess the other cliche they could use is for the villains of the individual movies to team up, like Luthor gathering them up and having that be the after-credits scene of each movie. But first they would need successful individual movies.
Old 08-10-12, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cliche story though very unique as a film premise. Much like The Avengers.
Old 08-10-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I guess the other cliche they could use is for the villains of the individual movies to team up, like Luthor gathering them up and having that be the after-credits scene of each movie. But first they would need successful individual movies.
I don't think they would. Why do they need individual movies? Why not just introduce them in the middle of a plot? Most people are aware of the major characters, we don't need origin stories for every movie.

When I watch a regular movie I'm not thinking "Man, I wish they went into where this guy grew up and how he became a door man at this Manhattan hotel before he fell in love with that rich lady"
Old 08-10-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder though.. would a Justice League movie work better than a Superfriends movie? Is it better to have the Hall of Justice versus the orbiting space station? An alien invasion or the Legion of Doom?

Maybe LoD could work to bring the heroes together like fujishig said and then they can go one on one in their individual movies?
Old 08-10-12, 02:08 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about Toyman, but the Superfriends iteration who hash a Space kingdom of toys.
Old 08-10-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Hall of Justice.

As it stands this will already feel like it's ripping off Avengers. Having an alien invasion, ala Loki isn't going to go over too well.

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I don't think they would. Why do they need individual movies? Why not just introduce them in the middle of a plot? Most people are aware of the major characters, we don't need origin stories for every movie.
I mentioned as much earlier. Despite the lack of major motion pictures, DC has done a pretty decent job keeping the major players in public awareness (animated shows, toys, coloring books, clothes, etc.) over the years. People already know who WW, Flash, Aquaman, Batman & Supes are. They don't need origin movies(or reboots) to do this. Any characters outside those five can be brushed upon in the JL movie like Hawkeye, Maria Hill, Fury & Black Widow were in Avengers.

After the Green Lantern movie it's probably best to ignore him until the stink of the recent movie wears off.
Old 08-10-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain

When I watch a regular movie I'm not thinking "Man, I wish they went into where this guy grew up and how he became a door man at this Manhattan hotel before he fell in love with that rich lady"
I mean individual movies to introduce the individual villains, like how Loki didn't need much of a backstory in Avengers because of Thor. At least to establish their vendetta against the heroes and why they would ban together. I tend to agree that you can introduce the heroes, especially iconic ones, in an ensemble movie.
Old 08-10-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah... don't need to introduce villains that way...

Old 08-10-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I'm still blown away with the thought that the Mass Public doesn't know who Wonder Woman is.
Old 08-10-12, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm still blown away with the thought that the Mass Public doesn't know who Wonder Woman is.
That's because we haven't had a movie with her working at Taco Whiz yet.

Old 08-10-12, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Doubt many that were born in the 80's ever saw this:

And I don't remember CBS re-airing these either.
Old 08-10-12, 06:29 PM
Banned

DC needs to get this chick to play Wonder Woman.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...to_album_reply

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.