Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Justice League Movie- Release date ?

There were multi-part story lines they did on Justice League Unlimited that could have easily been a life action movie.

You don't need origin stories to have a movie like this, people are familiar enough with the characters to just throw them into the middle of a story line. One thing that DC has over Marvel (there are many) is that their characters are far more arch-typical, so that the basic concept of the character is much easier to grasp (if they don't already know it, but most people probably do, at least for the major iconic characters) than Marvel's characters.
Old 06-11-12, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, but they had great talent to come up w/ it. Again..who is literally part of the DC movie division? Wait...they do even have a division dedicated to this?
Old 06-11-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

do this right and it will be badass. do it wrong and it will be a clusterfuck. they really better have nolan the wizard behind the curtain on this and pay him damn near anything.
Old 06-11-12, 01:58 PM
Banned

See that's my kneejerk reaction as well. Nolan is the only one so far at WB who's done it right w/ a DC character in this new era. But also...what are his thoughts on DC in general? The other characters...has he ever been fond of them etc etc?
Old 06-11-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Hokeyboy's right in that WB doesn't know what the hell they're doing. Whereas others are also right in that the proposed timeline is a fantasy.
• Christopher Nolan is "godfathering" the project from a distance, meaning more or less Warner Bros. went to him and asked his opinions and how he would he do things.
Their operating philosophy on this sounds like it's "In Nolan We Trust" so I'm sure most people will be deliriously happy at the thought of a collection of colorful characters desaturated and saving the universe in a grim and joyless way.

I don't begrudge them for trying to differentiate this from Avengers- but I do think they are veering 180 degrees in the wrong direction. As RocShemp already said, it was (partly) the labored, forced 'serious' (dark) stuff that dragged Green Lantern down. So let's double down on that.

One thing that DC has over Marvel (there are many) is that their characters are far more arch-typical, so that the basic concept of the character is much easier to grasp (if they don't already know it, but most people probably do, at least for the major iconic characters) than Marvel's characters.
That's simply brand awareness. It doesn't really have anything to do with audience sympathy or investment in the character which needs to be established on screen at some point.
Not saying it's impossible to craft a team movie without 8 hours of exposition. In some cases a little mystery to certain characters might be advantageous. But each character better be strongly delineated and distinct, with a point of view and personal philosophy that is clearly understood and illustrated by their actions.
Otherwise they'll seem like little more than action figures being puppeted around by the plot.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-11-12 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

It would be awesome in Justice League movie a love triangle between Green Lantern and Aqua Man and some other not yet out of the closet character (could be villain possibly). Maybe DC can bring in more gay date tickets.

and no I'm not trollin

A cute scene with Green Lantern on Aqua man's back as he is swimming like a dolphin around the Statue Of Liberty.

I mean with the whole gay thing going on with DC lately I bet you that is a good way to bring in more of the crowd out there that don't give a shit about these super heroes.
Old 06-11-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I bet you that is a good way to bring in more of the crowd out there that don't give a shit about these super heroes.
I'm pretty sure all the suits at Warner will get to see this for free, so there's little point trying to pander to them.
Old 06-11-12, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
It would be awesome in Justice League movie a love triangle between Green Lantern and Aqua Man and some other not yet out of the closet character (could be villain possibly). Maybe DC can bring in more gay date tickets.

and no I'm not trollin

A cute scene with Green Lantern on Aqua man's back as he is swimming like a dolphin around the Statue Of Liberty.

I mean with the whole gay thing going on with DC lately I bet you that is a good way to bring in more of the crowd out there that don't give a shit about these super heroes.

Gay Green Lantern is old news. Today DC showed a new Green Lantern that is apparently Arabic.
Old 06-11-12, 05:56 PM

I would be shocked if Alan Scott made it into any live action movie ever.
Old 06-11-12, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't McG's Superman movie come out this year?
Old 06-11-12, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
I would be shocked if Alan Scott made it into any live action movie ever.
But according to DC he is such as major iconic character...
Old 06-11-12, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
But according to DC he is such as major iconic character...
A few days ago, one of my co-workers who is also pretty interested in comics (but is more of a Marvel guy) asked me who the Hell Alan Scott was.

I felt really sure, even after they announced that it was a "major" character, that it wouldn't be anyone higher than some B or C-list character
Old 06-11-12, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
A few days ago, one of my co-workers who is also pretty interested in comics (but is more of a Marvel guy) asked me who the Hell Alan Scott was.

I felt really sure, even after they announced that it was a "major" character, that it wouldn't be anyone higher than some B or C-list character
You can't have "teh gay" tainting the actual good characters.

They'd make a major character black before they did that (i.e. Spider-man).

Old 06-11-12, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
They'd make a major character black before they did that (i.e. Spider-man).

Miles Morales... although he is the alternate Ultimate universe Spider-Man.
Old 06-12-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe an idea for the movie is to bring in a character some audience members might be aware of. Green Arrow was a pretty major character on Smallville for the later years. At least he'd be someone they might have heard of.

Don't like the 'dark just to be dark' idea thrown around. Its not like Avengers was some sort of comedy. Also, DC's pet dark character Batman even has some humor in his movies. Several times in Dark Knight there were some jokes/humerous moments that didn't come from Joker. Several from Bruce Wayne/Batman himself.
Old 06-12-12, 12:26 AM
Banned

The problem with Green Arrow is the audience would perceive him as being a Hawkeye clone, and if DC is trying to differentiate their movie from the Avengers it is unlikely that they would use him.

I can't imagine that DC would use anyone other than the "Big 7" (i.e. Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and either Martian Manhunter or Cyborg). Secondary characters like Green Arrow and Black Canary likely won't show up until the sequel.
Old 06-15-12, 05:14 PM
Banned

this is making the rounds on youtube and other sites:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WwZwaVl_280" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-15-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

^ Nice! - best fan trailer I've seen so far.
Old 06-15-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The brief snippets of Wonder Woman make me glad that show never saw the light of day.
Old 06-15-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The brief snippets of Wonder Woman make me glad that show never saw the light of day.
I did like the last one, though.

"My wife?"

VROOOOOOOOOOM!

lol
Old 06-15-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm shamefully delighted with that trailer...oh god its so tastefully gay I can't resist it

and so here I reached a 1000 posts
Old 06-27-12, 06:17 AM
Banned

Apparently before DC does the Justice League movie, they are planning to release a movie based on the Lego universe.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055994

What the fuck is this shit?
Old 06-27-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

It'll be better than any live action JLA movie. Guaranteed.
Old 06-27-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DC isn't doing the LEGO movie, Warner Bros is.
Old 06-27-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

And it's not just a DC Lego movie, is it? I would bet several Lego licenses will be represented. Except Marvel. I bet we don't get them and DC in the same movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.