Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
4.29%
8.57%
11.43%
17.14%
12.86%
18.57%
14.29%
4.29%
4.29%
0%
0%
Ah...No!
4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
So basically Sony learned nothing from the Spider-Man 3 debacle where too many villains bogged down the movie.
Nobody seemed to learn this from Batman Forever either.
Old 05-03-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I was planning on skipping this but passed by the movie theater and it was starting in like 5 minutes, so I took the plunge.

I liked it. I thought that Spiderman more than any other film really felt like Spiderman. I thought his relationship with Gwen was great and the heart of the film.

The start of the film and the backstory with his dad, seemed to have no real resolution. I almost feel like they cut elements of that storyline from the film and the scene posted above points to that.

Avi Arad seems to insist on too many villians every time. I actually think a superhero film could be successful. especially Spiderman, without a big bad villain. There are a lot of creative things that could be done without one.

All in all I think it is a lot better than the reviews suggest but not a great film. Although it is very long, it is one of those movies that might feel shorter in an extended edition if it ties things together better.

Interestingly the theater I was at LOVED it, and clapped pretty loudly at the end.
Old 05-03-14, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I actually liked this one better than ASM and Spider-man 3. I was just thinking it would be cool if they did a multiple Earth type crossover and they could have both andrew Garfield and Tobey Mcguire play Spider-man in the same movie. I know they'll never do it, but it would be something they haven't done in comic book movies yet.
Old 05-03-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Spoiler:
They can keep Emma Stone if they do the Clone Saga in ASM3. I bet that's what they have planned if for no other reason than to keep Emma signed on.

That would be stupid, but given all of the stuff Oscorp is up to that wouldn't be surprising. Hell, I could see
Spoiler:
Harry having a clone made with the sole purpose of fucking with Peter. I could also see them changing things up a bit and having Mary Jane be a clone of Gwen except with red hair. Given the fact that Stone looks more like her than Gwen, I could see them taking that route.
Old 05-04-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just had a rotten theater experience watching ASM2. Was a Movie Tavern during a 9am showing and was ignored by the waitstaff. Pissed me off so much I left just after Peter got to Roosevelt. If someone would be so kind as to spoiler tag what happened after that I'd be grateful. Thanks. (I was OK with what I saw up to that point. Nothing too good or too bad about the flick.)
Old 05-04-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Peter being "destined" to be Spider-Man is such bullshit and negates everything that actually makes him a special every-man. Fuck everyone involved with these re-boots.
That's actually the least of the problems with this movie - I was okay with that part of the storyline. It's virtually every scene with Jaime Foxx that made me cringe.

Also, was Peter this much of a punk in the first film...or had I just forgotten? Not only is he annoying, but he's borderline creepy (shades of Superman Returns) following Gwen around like a stalker.
Old 05-04-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I actually liked this one better than ASM and Spider-man 3. I was just thinking it would be cool if they did a multiple Earth type crossover and they could have both andrew Garfield and Tobey Mcguire play Spider-man in the same movie. I know they'll never do it, but it would be something they haven't done in comic book movies yet.
Yeah it was easily better than Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man. I was pretty surprised by it overall. Definitely not the best comic book film in recent memory but not as bad as a lot of reviews want you to believe. I didn't find Peter that creepy with Gwen really. I mean he was obviously feeling guilty over her dad's death in the first film still and his promise to him to not let anything happen to her, but yet at the same time he really cared a lot about her and didn't want to lose her so he felt the need to protect her even when he thought they couldn't be together.
Spoiler:
I will say that Gwen's death is probably one of the biggest downers in a comic book film in recent memory. Even though I knew it was coming, I just really liked her portrayal of that character and Stone and Garfield are great together
I have mixed opinions on the Peter being pre-destined to be Spidey bits. On the one hand it's sort of an interesting take on his origin but it is a little cheesy too. Also not really sure I like the fact that the Oscorp organization is behind all the villains seemingly.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-04-14 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-04-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Just had a rotten theater experience watching ASM2. Was a Movie Tavern during a 9am showing and was ignored by the waitstaff. Pissed me off so much I left just after Peter got to Roosevelt. If someone would be so kind as to spoiler tag what happened after that I'd be grateful. Thanks. (I was OK with what I saw up to that point. Nothing too good or too bad about the flick.)
What's a Movie Tavern?
Old 05-04-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

If someone would be so kind as to spoiler tag what happened after that I'd be grateful. Thanks. (I was OK with what I saw up to that point. Nothing too good or too bad about the flick.)
Spoiler:
Peter watches a video message from his father on a computer. Richard confesses that Norman Osborn wanted to use the genetic spider research to create weapons and that he refused to allow that to happen. Richard says that the human DNA in the spiders was his own, which means it wouldn't work on a human being without the Parker bloodline. He knows that Norman can do nothing to exploit the research if he goes into hiding.

Gwen leaves a message on Peter's phone telling him she's taking a summer course at Oxford and will be leaving early. While on her way to the airport, there is a commotion and the cab driver tells Gwen that it's Spider-Man. She looks across the river to see a giant "I LOVE YOU" spelled out in webbing on the bridge. Then Spider-Man swings down and scoops her up to the very top of the bridge where he confesses that he never wants to leave her side and will go with her to England. Suddenly, Electro shuts down all the power in the city. Peter tells Gwen how his web shooters get fried around the guy and there is nothing he can do. Gwen tells him he can magnetize the web shooters with a battery that will allow them to hold a charge (or something along those lines). They hail down a cop and Gwen convinces him to let them use the battery from his squad car to give the web shooters a jump. Peter than uses his webbing to pin Gwen's hand to the squad car so she can't follow him and takes off to confront Electro.

Generic CG-heavy fight scene ensues. Gwen shows up and they manage to overload Electro's power supply and he evaporates. Goblin Harry then swoops in on his glider. After seeing Gwen, he realizes Peter is Spider-Man and wants to exact revenge. He snatches Gwen and flies off while Spider-Man gives chase. After pleading with Harry to let her go, the Goblin throws her down into a clock tower. Peter catches her, but Harry swoops down and the two begin to fight.

Gwen hangs on to one of Peter's webs, but it's caught in one of the clock's cogs. Eventually Harry is knocked unconscious, but the web holding Gwen snaps when the clock begins to break apart. She starts to fall and Peter dives after her. His webbing grabs her just before she hits the bottom and she bounces violently against the ground. Peter tries to bring her around, but blood trickles from her nose and he realizes she's dead. After her funeral, there is a montage of him visiting Gwen's grave day after day. The news starts to speculate on what happened to Spider-Man and Aunt May tells Peter the city sure could use a hero like Spidey again.

Harry, now recovered, is visited by the shadowy Mr. Fierce. He reveals his plan to use mechanical suits - shaped like a Rhino, wings (Vulture) and tentacles (Doc Ock) - to take over the city. He instructs the shadowy man to break Sytsevich (Paul Giamatti) out of prison and to give him the Rhino suit. Giamitti shows up in NYC as the Rhino and starts shooting at cops and generally causing chaos. A little boy dressed as Spider-Man runs into the middle of the street to stand up to him. The real Spider-Man finally shows up and tells the boy that he appreciates him filling in, but he should go find his mother. Spidey and Rhino go head to head as the movie ends.
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
What's a Movie Tavern?
movietavern.com

I've only been to a Movie Tavern once and it was an awful expereince. It was for a special showing of Poltergeist a couple years ago. The waitress didn't show up to take our order until forty minutes into the movie. When the food was finally served, you couldn't see a damn thing you were eating because the tiny strip of lights on the table weren't working. The food was cold, not to mention overpriced. The floors were dirty and the kitchen, which you passed on the way to the auditoriums, smelled like garbage.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-04-14 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-04-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
What's a Movie Tavern?
Think Applebees + theater. I go there cause they have 9am showings and is the cheapest place in town.
Old 05-04-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b
Spoiler:
Peter watches a video message from his father on a computer. Richard confesses that Norman Osborn wanted to use the genetic spider research to create weapons and that he refused to allow that to happen. Richard says that the human DNA in the spiders was his own, which means it wouldn't work on a human being without the Parker bloodline. He knows that Norman can do nothing to exploit the research if he goes into hiding.

Gwen leaves a message on Peter's phone telling him she's taking a summer course at Oxford and will be leaving early and that it's better they part ways. While stuck in traffic, there is a commotion and the cab driver tells Gwen that it's Spider-Man. She looks across the river to see a giant "I LOVE YOU" spelled out in webbing on the bridge. Then Spider-Man swings down and scoops her up to the very top of the bridge where he confesses that he never wants to leave her side and will go with her to England. Suddenly, Electro shuts down all the power in the city. Peter tells Gwen how his web shooters get fried around the guy and there is nothing he can do. Gwen tells him he can magnetize the web shooters with a battery that will allow them to hold a charge (or something along those lines). They hail down a cop and Gwen convinces him to let them use the battery from his squad car to give the web shooters a jump. Peter than uses his webbing to pin Gwen's hand to the squad car so she can't follow him and takes off to confront Electro. Generic CG-heavy fight scene ensues. Gwen shows up and they manage to overload Electro's power supply and he evaporates. Goblin Harry then shows up on his glider. After seeing Gwen, he realizes Peter is Spider-Man and wants to exact revenge. He swoops up Gwen and Spider-Man gives chase. After pleading with Harry to let her go, the Goblin throws her down into a clock tower. Peter catches her, but Harry swoops down and the two begin to fight. Gwen hangs on to one of Peters webs, but it's caught in one of the clock's cogs. Eventually Harry is knocked unconscious, but the web holding Gwen snaps when the clock begins to break apart and Gwen starts to fall. Peter dives after her, but his webbing grabs he just before she hits the bottom and she's violently slammed against the ground. Peter tries to revive her, but blood trickles from her nose and he realizes she's dead.

After her funeral, there is a montage of him visiting he grave day after day. The news starts to speculate on what happened to Spider-Man and Aunt May tells Peter the city sure could use a hero like Spider-Man again. Harry, now recovered, is visited by the shadowy Mr. Fierce. He reveals his plan to use mechanical suits - shaped like a Rhino, wings (Vulture) and tentacles (Doc Ock) - to take over the city. He tells the shadowy man to break Sytsevich (Paul Giamatti) out of prison and allow him become the Rhino.

Giamitti shows up in the Rhino suit shooting at cops and generally causing chaos. A little boy dressed as Spider-Man runs into the middle of the street and stands up the Rhino. The real Spider-Man finally shows up and tells the boy that he appreciates him filling in, but he should go find his mother. Spidey and Rhino go head to head as the movie ends.
Thank you so much Joe! Appreciate it.
Old 05-04-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Think Applebees + theater. I go there cause they have 9am showings and is the cheapest place in town.
Damn, that's awesome, in terms of 9am showings, which means you can start morning drinking instead of waiting to day drink.

We have spots like that here but they don't start serving booze until the afternoon.
Old 05-04-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

How did everyone feel about the last few scenes in the film?

Spoiler:
After Gwen's death you have Peter mourning over the different Seasons as well as listening to Gwen's Valedictorian speech. You also have Aunt May rushing to put Ben's things in the box in the kitchen.

That entire block of scenes (IMO) was emotionally strong/convincing but it transitions almost immediately to the goofy Rhino/Kid Spider-Man stuff. I felt like the film would have benefited from cutting during the last line of Gwen's speech when Peter is looking down at (what is probably his costume) in the closet. It just sucked all the emotion out of those great scenes having all the goofy stuff that followed them. It felt tremendously awkward.

Old 05-04-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Spoiler:
After Gwen's death you have Peter mourning over the different Seasons as well as listening to Gwen's Valedictorian speech. You also have Aunt May rushing to put Ben's things in the box in the kitchen.

That entire block of scenes (IMO) was emotionally strong/convincing but it transitions almost immediately to the goofy Rhino/Kid Spider-Man stuff. I felt like the film would have benefited from cutting during the last line of Gwen's speech when Peter is looking down at (what is probably his costume) in the closet. It just sucked all the emotion out of those great scenes having all the goofy stuff that followed them. It felt tremendously awkward.

Spoiler:
I agree it could have ended with him listening to her speech and probably getting the motivation to go back to being Spidey but I guess I thought it worked since it was just a short little sequence and not a full on battle with Rhino. It was just enough to show the audience that he's back but didn't tack another big battle on to make it seem like her death didn't matter. I guess more than anything I understand why they did that as that's what the casual fans wanted to see probably. The scene with the kid in the Spider-Man outfit going out to face Rhino was probably the most eye roll inducing moment in the entire film to me.
Old 05-04-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only been to a Movie Tavern once and it was an awful expereince. It was for a special showing of Poltergeist a couple years ago. The waitress didn't show up to take our order until forty minutes into the movie. When the food was finally served, you couldn't see a damn thing you were eating because the tiny strip of lights on the table weren't working. The food was cold, not to mention overpriced. The floors were dirty and the kitchen, which you passed on the way to the auditoriums, smelled like garbage.
And I thought the typical movie-going experience was annoying...who would go see a first-run movie like this? Aren't the distractions we get in a normal theater experience bad enough?
Old 05-04-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Spoiler:

Not to mention:

Spoiler:
The movie sidesteps Peter/Spidey's involvement in the death completely. How was Gwen's family notified? Why isn't there an investigation into how she died? If Spidey turned in the body, wouldn't everyone now suspect Peter is Spider-man? If Peter turned in the body, he has a lot of questions to answer. Then there's the closing scene where he's just as cocky as ever as Spider-man - showing he's learned nothing.
Old 05-04-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Not to mention:

Spoiler:
The movie sidesteps Peter/Spidey's involvement in the death completely. How was Gwen's family notified? Why isn't there an investigation into how she died? If Spidey turned in the body, wouldn't everyone now suspect Peter is Spider-man? If Peter turned in the body, he has a lot of questions to answer. Then there's the closing scene where he's just as cocky as ever as Spider-man - showing he's learned nothing.
Spoiler:
Well I assumed that the police and whoever else were aware that Spidey was facing off against Electro and later Harry/The Green Goblin at the clock tower so eventually after things died down a bit they probably went to check on what happened. It's possible that he left her there to be found but then of course the police would likely want to question Spider-Man. If he turned in her body as Spidey it may make the Stacy family question if Peter is Spider-Man or not but it's not like they'd have any real proof other than his and Gwen's past relationship. I would guess though that a lot of people would figure out Peter is Spidey. As for Peter being cocky at the end, Spidey has always kind of been a smartass/cocky. To me it seemed in line with how the character generally acts.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-04-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-04-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Spoiler:
I think him being all sarcastic was to illustrate that he had finally gotten over Gwen's death and was ready to resume being Spider-Man.

Also
Spoiler:
another possible reason for not having all of the stuff with the discovery of Gwen's body might be planting the seeds that it was somehow confiscated by someone who will resurrect her. You know there's no way Peter/Spider-Man was with her all through the body preparation, unless he's some kind of sicko.
Old 05-04-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Also
Spoiler:
another possible reason for not having all of the stuff with the discovery of Gwen's body might be planting the seeds that it was somehow confiscated by someone who will resurrect her. You know there's no way Peter/Spider-Man was with her all through the body preparation, unless he's some kind of sicko.
Spoiler:
I dunno if I see them going that route. I know it happened in the comics but I think that The Clone Saga might be hard to do on film without it being confusing to the casual audience.
Old 05-04-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Spoiler:
I think him being all sarcastic was to illustrate that he had finally gotten over Gwen's death and was ready to resume being Spider-Man.

Also
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Either way, the Stacy family has INCREDIBLY bad luck associating themselves with Peter Parker. I mean, within the span of two movies, they lose a father and a daughter?!? At this rate, the mom better take out a will before ASM 3 starts.
Old 05-04-14, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Spoiler:
I dunno if I see them going that route. I know it happened in the comics but I think that The Clone Saga might be hard to do on film without it being confusing to the casual audience.
Spoiler:
Why would it be confusing? The 1990s Clone Saga was a mess, but the 1970s Clone Saga was pretty simple.
Old 05-04-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding the ending and Harry:

Spoiler:

Who was Harry talking to at the end of this movie regarding the formation of the Sinister Six? Was that the same mysterious figure that visited Dr. Conners at the end of the TASM1?
Old 05-04-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Regarding the ending and Harry:

Spoiler:

Who was Harry talking to at the end of this movie regarding the formation of the Sinister Six? Was that the same mysterious figure that visited Dr. Conners at the end of the TASM1?
Spoiler:
Yep, that's the same guy and his name is Gustav Fiers. He also goes by the name of "The Gentleman" in the comics.
Old 05-04-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So many spoiler buttons in the review thread. Just tell me how bad it is guys
Old 05-04-14, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't know all the scenes i saw in the trailer of the rhino were going to be all the scenes of the rhino.
movie was lame. saw it in imax and spidey swinging looked great in imax.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.