Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Noah (Aronofsky, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Noah (Aronofsky, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
0%
3.45%
31.03%
13.79%
13.79%
13.79%
10.34%
3.45%
3.45%
3.45%
0%
Ah...No!
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Noah (Aronofsky, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Noah (Aronofsky, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Worth it $17.50 on IMAX vs. 47 inch LCD at home for a buck?
Old 04-02-14, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Honbo
The movie is very against my religious beliefs, and removed God from the story! I cannot understand how they could do this.
Originally Posted by Supermallet
Did you see the film? God is most definitely in it.
Originally Posted by paaron46
The Creator = God.
Originally Posted by RichC2
I've seen that complaint a few times about taking God out of it, and I'm just curious if we all saw the same movie?
It is because the movie has characters taking actions and making decisions that were all done/made by God in the original story. Though a creationist website (got the link off Blu-ray.com), this review sums up the issue succinctly: http://creation.com/noah-movie

Despite having ‘biblical advisors’ to guide them, the major decision that the producers apparently made, which caused nearly every plot flaw in the movie, was to exclude God as an active character. Thus it reduced God to some mythical or even mystical character. The Creator is mentioned, obeyed, sought, questioned, and cursed in the movie by various characters, but nowhere does He speak or act clearly Himself. And when He is excluded, someone else has to be merciful (the Watchers and Noah). Someone else has to shut the door of the Ark and give the post-Flood blessing (Noah again). Someone else has to be the sovereign one who decides who lives and who dies (you guessed it, Noah again!). No wonder the movie’s Noah is so distraught by the end of the movie—who could bear the impossible weight of God-sized actions and decisions?

[...]

n the movie, Noah wrestled with why he was chosen to survive since he recognized evil in his family and in his own heart. This is, of course, correct. Noah and his family were sinners who deserved God’s wrath as much as everyone else who was washed away in the deluge. God could only save Noah and his family because He would send His own Son to pay the penalty for our sin. Noah portrays God wrongly, and so portrays everything else wrongly. We shouldn’t really expect Hollywood to portray the picture of salvation, but when it is something that is so central to the story, we can’t act like it isn’t important that they failed to, either.
So I can understand the complaints that "they took God out of the movie", given they made him a background character in a story where he was the chief architect of the events and originally called all the shots.
Old 04-02-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Why would you assume that? Did you only hear one side of the conversation? Are writers only allowed to write characters who believe as they do?
Good point.
Old 04-02-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Worth it $17.50 on IMAX vs. 47 inch LCD at home for a buck?
Why is IMAX your only theatrical option? And if you insist on IMAX wouldn't a matinee be lots cheaper?
Old 04-02-14, 11:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It is because the movie has characters taking actions and making decisions that were all done/made by God in the original story. Though a creationist website (got the link off Blu-ray.com), this review sums up the issue succinctly: http://creation.com/noah-movie

So I can understand the complaints that "they took God out of the movie", given they made him a background character in a story where he was the chief architect of the events and originally called all the shots.
They say "Creator" 10,000 times in the movie. Maybe Aronofsky realized that watching an omnipotent invisible being do everything would have made for a spectacularly shitty movie.
Old 04-02-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm assuming the writer is an atheist?
No, he's closer to nondenominational Christian. He grew up in a cult-like Catholic atmosphere where his parents were convinced rapture was eminent so there was doomsday preparation for when society crumbled, and constant militant prayer schedule to ensure their souls.

Since escaping that life he's settled down to being Christian, but where the Bible is not a science book to be taken literally. Basically, he's dead center between either character's views.
Old 04-02-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

From that creation.com article:

Not surprisingly, there were no dinosaurs shown on board the Ark, although a thoroughgoing biblical worldview implies they would have been there.

Come the fuck on!
Old 04-02-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dinosaurs, fuck them. Were there unicorns?
Old 04-02-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Not surprisingly, there were no dinosaurs shown on board the Ark, although a thoroughgoing biblical worldview implies they would have been there.

Come the fuck on!
I've been asking that question since the beginning of the first thread on this film. So now I know. My fundamentalist brother and his wife will probably not be going to see this if they knew that. They were the first ones I heard asserting that there were dinosaurs on the ark.
Old 04-02-14, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, cuz... You know. The bible is really good at making timelines with the world's physical history. I'm seeing this tomorrow. Love DA... So this one has me pretty interested.

Wait. I think this is the first disaster type flick for me to see in a theater. Hrmmm. That's pretty cool.
Old 04-02-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Yes, I don't really agree with that, either. In the movie, God was clearly still the chief architect of everything. He decided to send the flood as judgement on man's sinfulness and disobedience, He selected Noah and his family for a task, He called all the animals to the ark, He controlled the duration and extent of the flood, and He caused the waters to recede. I think Aronofsky's choice, compared to the Biblical account, was to just greatly lessen Noah's ability to understand God's will (or, if you prefer, to lessen God's interest in spelling things out more clearly to Noah.) Personally, I think that's a pretty interesting change, and not one that's particularly blasphemous from a religious perspective.
Old 04-02-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've been asking that question since the beginning of the first thread on this film. So now I know. My fundamentalist brother and his wife will probably not be going to see this if they knew that. They were the first ones I heard asserting that there were dinosaurs on the ark.
The film does have a few weird animals - not dinosaurs. There's this weird dog-like thing that has what look like wooden shingles as skin. An occasional weird looking lizard and such.

No T-rexes, though.
Old 04-02-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and onto the subject of what animals were on the ark, didn't the movie hint that some creatures were not selected to survive the flood? There was that weird animal that Tubal-Cain's men were hunting towards the beginning.

Also, I appreciated Aronofsky's "evolution" montage---which really jibed with my own religious/scientific views. I interpreted that as saying that evolution did indeed occur, but the appearance of man--however long it took and by whatever means---was something that was a huge, profound break from "just another step in random evolution". At least that was my take.
Old 04-02-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Oh, and onto the subject of what animals were on the ark, didn't the movie hint that some creatures were not selected to survive the flood? There was that weird animal that Tubal-Cain's men were hunting towards the beginning.

Also, I appreciated Aronofsky's "evolution" montage---which really jibed with my own religious/scientific views. I interpreted that as saying that evolution did indeed occur, but the appearance of man--however long it took and by whatever means---was something that was a huge, profound break from "just another step in random evolution". At least that was my take.
That was the "wooden skin" dog thing. And who knows how many other animals, because some were killed on their way to he arc by Cain's people. They got their grub on!
Old 04-02-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was the "wooden skin" dog thing. And who knows how many other animals, because some were killed on their way to he arc by Cain's people. They got their grub on!
That's right---and there was that

Spoiler:
..lizard or snake that Tubal-Cain munched on inside the ark.
Old 04-02-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's right---and there was that

Spoiler:
..lizard or snake that Tubal-Cain munched on inside the ark.
Yep.
Old 04-02-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

There's this weird dog-like thing that has what look like wooden shingles as skin.
That was the master dog
Old 04-02-14, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jaymole
That was the master dog

Oh shit, that's right.

Old 04-02-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Dinosaurs, fuck them. Were there unicorns?
You haven't heard that story?

*I don't know know how to embed videos.
Old 04-02-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Come the fuck on!
Old 04-02-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Why is IMAX your only theatrical option? And if you insist on IMAX wouldn't a matinee be lots cheaper?
That IS the matinee price in Vegas. Just wondering if IMAX was worth the price, I'm not interested in the theater experience.
Old 04-02-14, 12:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See, I took it as we are all connected, so we can't just treat other animals with impunity.
Old 04-02-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See, I took it as we are all connected, so we can't just treat other animals with impunity.
I think that was implied, too.

Even if Aronofsky is an atheist who personally believes ONLY in a random/material origin of man (I don't know what his actual beliefs are), I think the nature of the story he was telling required him to add at least some degree of a divine origin of man in the film.
Old 04-02-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
That IS the matinee price in Vegas. Just wondering if IMAX was worth the price, I'm not interested in the theater experience.
Jesus. Matinee at the local AMC for IMAX Noah is $9.50.
Old 04-02-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They say "Creator" 10,000 times in the movie. Maybe Aronofsky realized that watching an omnipotent invisible being do everything would have made for a spectacularly shitty movie.
Yeah, as Aronofsky himself said last week on "The Colbert Report," Morgan Freeman was unavailable and George Burns is dead, so how do you convincingly portray God on screen?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.