Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
20.71%
42.14%
24.29%
6.43%
4.29%
1.43%
0.71%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Captain America: The Crimean Soldier
0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 03:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" (Starring: Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, Sebastian Stan, Hayley Atwell, Dominic Cooper, Robert Redford, Frank Grillo)

Release Date:
4/4/14

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence, gunplay and action throughout.)

Running Time:
136m. (2h. 16m.)

Budget:
$170 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, lives quietly in Washington, D.C. trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.2 (25,053 votes as of 4/3/14

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:112 Rotten:14 (89% as of 4/3/14)

Metacritic:
70 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 4/3/14)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://v.traileraddict.com/86269" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:
Old 03-19-14, 03:29 PM

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

for early screenings and this:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Review: Hard Punches, Light Fun

When you buy a ticket for a Captain America movie you know what you're going to get: A super-powered dude in blue doing crazy things with a shield, busting people in the jaw, and being very Americanny. Good news! Captain America: The Winter Soldier scratches those itches just fine.

Note: The following contains some light spoilers.

Captain America picks up soon after the Avengers movie left off (in fact, you can watch the first 11 minutes here); he works for superspy agency S.H.I.E.L.D. now, but he's having doubts if being a superhero is right for him. It's the same great power/great responsibility trope that lots of superhero sequels chew through, but fortunately it doesn't get too hung up on it. There is much punching to do, and Winter Soldier doesn't make us wait long for it.

Not to give too much away, but the main plot driver is that something is rotten in S.H.I.E.L.D. But what? Who's good? Who's bad? Who even knows anymore? Trust no one. Unless they're attractive. These are also just good rules to live by in general.

While not everything about Winter Soldier makes the most logical sense (this is a superhero movie, after all), the plot at least manages not to spiral off into some murky tangent of intrigue; there's no Dark Night Rises dead-ends. It's a well-written,linear story that mostly stays on the rails.

That doesn't mean it's without some larger thematic meat on its bones. There are enough parallels between S.H.I.E.L.D. and the NSA (well, maybe just the one parallel of SPIES) to make the motifs of "freedom versus security," and what lines should be drawn where, feel relevant to our current surveillance age. I wouldn't call it a straight-up allegory, but it definitely makes The Winter Soldier seem ever-so-slightly grounded in a recognizable reality.

The dialogue, however, is a tougher pill to swallow. There are so many one-liners, zingers, and "say-something-cool-then-cut-to-the-next-sceners" that after only 20 minutes or so you already feel like they've beaten your head in. But whatever. Teenage/stoned/drunk people will enjoy these comic booky clichιs. Besides, it's not really worse than any other comic book action movie; it's just not any better.

Besides, you're going to this movie for the action, and the action pretty much rules. It's especially refreshing that all of the best scenes that really wake you up aren't the elaborate CGI sequences (though there are plenty of those as well). It's the brutish, analog, kicking-and-punching melees that really come across. A lot of action movies rely on fast cuts to obscure the fact that these actors don't really know how to fight. In contrast, the fight choreography in The Winter Soldier is excellent, and Chris Evans (or his stunt doubles, in some cases) sells the shit out of them.

The most compelling scenes, as you might expect, are the confrontations between Cap and his titular metal-armed nemesis. There are a handful of them, and they're all great. Basically you've got two evenly matches badasses just slugging it out. They aren't these polished, balletic scenes. They're mean, and while near-invulnerability and invincible shields and arms obviously still require significant suspension of disbelief, they feel more real than if people were flying around and blasting lasers out of their eyes. It's the Pacific Rim effect: There's just something very satisfying about two super-powered things wailing on each other.

Cap doesn't just have new enemies; he's got a new friend as well in the Falcon. As you might have guessed from the name, he is a dude who can fly, thanks to a badass, rocket-powered wing-suit. His sequences are fun from action movie perspective, but they definitely take a bigger leap to enjoy than the straight-up rock 'em sock 'em fights. The physics of his maneuvers often don't add up, and while I was definitely entertained, it also took me out of the movie a bit.

Speaking of taken out of the movie, can we talk about the shield for a second? Not S.H.I.E.L.D., I mean Captain America's actual, literal shield. The one he can impeccably throw, and it will inevitably ricochet just where he wants it to go like he's the world's most magical snooker-player. I'm sorry, but along with all his physical powers did Captain America also somehow get imbued with a super-human understanding of physics and geometry? I get that it's an important part of his identity in the comics, but surely there's a way to handle it where it's not deployed to impossible effect in every situation. It's jarring in a world where so much else makes an earnest effort to be relatively grounded.

In better news, it's actually hard to imagine a more perfect actor to play the Cap'n than Evans. He's got that clean-cut, "all I can do is speak the truth and do what's right," good-guy schtick down ice cold. As obnoxious as that could be (a problem I've always had with the comic book version as well, so your mileage may vary), Evans manages to remain likable in the role and you're never tempted to root against him, unlike certain Spidermen we've all dreamed would get a good crotch-punt every now and then.

It was interesting to see Robert Redford as a heavy. His performance was solid, but it's just... he was the Natural, y'know? Even when he's being bad you kind of want to give him a hug. Samuel L. does his usual Nick Fury thing, which still somehow hasn't gotten old. Likewise Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow. Anthony Mackie is a super-likable addition as the Falcon. Very human and definitely someone you root for right away.

Still, for all of The Winter Soldier's strengths, I couldn't bring myself to love it. There's an intangible joy that has got to come across in a movie like this, that doesn't here. It colors too neatly between the lines, leaving it without any true, visceral surprise. Even if you don't know what's going to happen next, you always kind of feel like you do. There's no edge-of-your-seat moment. It has its brief bursts of joy, but before long it's back to taking itself just a few degrees too seriously. Remember how fun The Avengers was? This doesn't.

That's not to say it's bad. It isn't. If you were a fan of the first movie (and/or of the Marvel Universe in general) I'd definitely recommend it. It's just not going to change your life.

Bottom line: If you like Marvel superhero flicks, then you should probably see this movie. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it's a better, smarter movie than its predecessor. But if you were hoping for something that will stay with you a little longer, you might be barking up the wrong tentpole.
Old 03-25-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Great movie and I have only have two minor complaints.

It is probably the best solo Avenger movie. And probably the first Marvel movie where they actually felt like there was some serious threat/risk.

Best compliment I can give it is the more I reflect, the more I liked it and more I want to buy the blu. Most of the Marvels get worse upon reflection.
Old 03-26-14, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be reviewing it later today...
Old 03-26-14, 02:26 PM

And here's my review!!!

Overall = Meh.

Spoiler:

The adventure begins when I get to the cinema and go up to the concession stand to buy my ticket. I am asked where I would like to sit. Assigned seating. That's new to me. After sorting that out I ask for a large popcorn. The clerk asks what flavor I would like. Of course I say extra butter, I always get extra butter. The clerk responds "We don't have butter. We have sweet or sour. I knew you were going to ask for butter. We had an American in here once before." First I'm annoyed that another American had been to this theater before me, secondly, what do you mean no butter??? He offers a sample of "sweet" and it tasted a bit like caramel." The "sour" was simply extra salt. I go for the "sour" popcorn.

Once I am in my assigned seat I wait the five minutes for the movie to start. It's after that five minutes that things go from bad to worse.

I absolutely DO NOT expect my Captain America to act like a complete douche to another guy simply trying to work out. "On your left..." One your left..." Then afterward the workout he keeps throwing it in the guys face. Don't be a dick dude.

That guy would later turn out to be "The Falcon" in one of the most ridiculous winged contraptions I have ever seen. That outfit was one step too far. It looked beyond stupid.

I really liked Scarlett Johanssen (sp?) in The Avengers, but the Black Widow had way too much screen time in this one. Small doses please.

Bottom line: This is the last time I look forward to a movie (until Trans4mers releases)
Old 03-26-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

So you're done looking forward to movies, but are looking forward to Transformers 4's release so you can start looking forward to movies again?
Old 03-26-14, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
So you're done looking forward to movies, but are looking forward to Transformers 4's release so you can start looking forward to movies again?
I could have been more specific. I will still only look forward to Michael Bay films, or any film starring Adam Sandler.

Oh, and the jokes on me anyway. The whole experience cost me around the equivalent of $26.50 for the 3d ticket (oh, and the 3d wasn't impressive), and a large butterless popcorn and large soda.
Old 03-26-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

A "Meh" review coming from the man who enjoys Adam Sandler films and actually looks forward to Michael bay Transformer movies. I don't like to accuse anyone of not having any taste what so ever....but you really do have no taste what so ever.
Old 03-26-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I enjoy Adam Sandler films (though don't like the Transformer movies), does that amount to 50% bad taste or?
Old 03-26-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed on black widow. Not sure who thinks she needs more screen time as the more she gets, the goofier it gets.
Old 04-03-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Bumping this thread since this is the actual review thread.

Will probably see this Saturday afternoon.
Old 04-03-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a couple of 8PM early screenings around here tonight so my wife and I are going.
Old 04-03-14, 01:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Seeing it tomorrow at 10am

I am cysed
Old 04-03-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Saturday for me! Going to revisit the first one tonight.
Old 04-03-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts

I think Saturday for me and my son. Maybe Sunday if the theater is busy.
Old 04-03-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Going tonight at 10.
Old 04-03-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it earlier this week. It is probably my favorite single Marvel superhero film since the original Iron Man. It just perfectly balances everything and is unrelenting in its action. The performances are good. My only issue with the movie was that I didn't find the Winter Soldier particularly frightening (or even worthy as an opponent) but this is relatively minor.

If you liked The Avengers, see this. It's very different in tone than the first film, which is OK, as this one is now set in modern times.
Old 04-03-14, 04:38 PM

i don't think i will get a chance to see this till next weekend. i sad. enjoys fellas!
Old 04-03-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from the 8pm showing. I was extremely entertained for the entire runtime. I maybe couldve done with less of the one liners used as tension relief. I applaud the Russo Brothers for making a movie was above and beyond the Avengers.
Old 04-04-14, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yeah, saw the 8:05pm showing and it was fucking legit! It's on par with the first Iron Man and even the Avengers in being one of the best films out of the Avengers-verse to come out.

The first after credit scene was pretty fucking badass, creepy, and scary all in one!
Spoiler:
Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch!
Old 04-04-14, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
And here's my review!!!

Overall = Meh.

Spoiler:

The adventure begins when I get to the cinema and go up to the concession stand to buy my ticket. I am asked where I would like to sit. Assigned seating. That's new to me. After sorting that out I ask for a large popcorn. The clerk asks what flavor I would like. Of course I say extra butter, I always get extra butter. The clerk responds "We don't have butter. We have sweet or sour. I knew you were going to ask for butter. We had an American in here once before." First I'm annoyed that another American had been to this theater before me, secondly, what do you mean no butter??? He offers a sample of "sweet" and it tasted a bit like caramel." The "sour" was simply extra salt. I go for the "sour" popcorn.

Once I am in my assigned seat I wait the five minutes for the movie to start. It's after that five minutes that things go from bad to worse.

I absolutely DO NOT expect my Captain America to act like a complete douche to another guy simply trying to work out. "On your left..." One your left..." Then afterward the workout he keeps throwing it in the guys face. Don't be a dick dude.

That guy would later turn out to be "The Falcon" in one of the most ridiculous winged contraptions I have ever seen. That outfit was one step too far. It looked beyond stupid.

I really liked Scarlett Johanssen (sp?) in The Avengers, but the Black Widow had way too much screen time in this one. Small doses please.

Bottom line: This is the last time I look forward to a movie (until Trans4mers releases)

Dude, you really are special needs. It's not an act all. Fuuuuuuuck.
Old 04-04-14, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Dude, you really are special needs. It's not an act all. Fuuuuuuuck.
No. No. No.

There is no way that you are all seeing the same movie I did.

It was a serviceable film at best.

No way is it even in the top 5 Marvel films. Probably lands somewhere in the middle, if not, it's just one of the best of the worst.
Old 04-04-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this was just about a damn near perfect Marvel film for me. Loved what the Russo Brothers did with this, making it a film about covert warfare and government subversion. It could have very easily turned campy -- especially when you've got a guy flying around with a winged backpack -- but it still manages to keep the gritty tension flowing all the way through.

But the best thing about the film was finding out about
Spoiler:
the corruption within S.H.I.E.L.D. itself.
Definitely a jaw-dropping moment when they discover the revelation in the secret underground bunker. Too bad it looks like that won't remain a secret for too long (given that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be incorporating it into their storyline, of course).

4.5 out of 5. Here's my official review.
Old 04-04-14, 11:19 AM
Suspended

I thought the movie was 50% good.
Old 04-04-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I thought the movie was 50% good.
Didn't you say the movie was pointless before watching it? Why go and watch it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.