Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
20.71%
42.14%
24.29%
6.43%
4.29%
1.43%
0.71%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Captain America: The Crimean Soldier
0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

^ that, and it was kind of cool that I could hear people whisper that it was Ultron. I was like STFU NERDS!
Old 04-05-14, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Who was Ultron? Zola? I don't think we got any Ultron in this. Something that could lead? Maybe but doesn't seem like Ultron... Yet. I could roll that Zola could have something to do with fucking Stark over.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-05-14 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-05-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The Winter Soldier is a story from the comics. Hydra infiltrating SHIELD, maybe from the beginning, is also from the comics. How it was all put together in this movie is entirely new.
Thanks. I knew the Winter Soldier was from the comics but I had to ask a comic fan buddy about the HYDRA-SHEILD thing. Also had to him about HAMMER aswell as I had heard of it but not where it fitted into everything.
Old 04-05-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Who was Ultron? Zola? I don't think we got any Ultron in this. Something that could lead? Maybe but doesn't seem like Ultron... Yet. I could roll that Zola could have something to do with fucking Stark over.
Right before the Zola monitor turned on I could hear the nerds whispering "It's Ultron" until some of the uber nerds said "Zola!"

I knew it wouldn't be Ultron.
Old 04-05-14, 10:42 AM
Banned

Ah. The MCU has changed a lot of the 616 world we know. It's been cool deviations from it though. Is the MCU a Cataloged world yet? What number is it?

I like Jones as Zola.
Old 04-05-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Exactly. I'm telling you guys.

This movie isn't anywhere as good as some are suggesting and it is not going to stand the test of time*
You're trying too hard.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Right before the Zola monitor turned on I could hear the nerds whispering "It's Ultron" until some of the uber nerds said "Zola!"

I knew it wouldn't be Ultron.
So you were one of the uber nerds?
Old 04-05-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Meanwhile, looks like it made $37 million on Friday.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3814&p=.htm
Old 04-05-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

So if that holds, this might top $110 million for the weekend. I know the article doesn't seem to think that but it is possible. Marvel has to be absolutely thrilled. Probably why they rehired the directors.
Old 04-05-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
You're trying too hard.

So you were one of the uber nerds?
Yes. i was one of the uber nerds that keep their mouth shut during movies.
Old 04-05-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://observationdeck.io9.com/capta...40/+rtgonzalez

A long rundown about the characters in the movie as they relate to their comic counterparts and their storylines, as well as references to the TV show. Filled with spoilers for the events in Winter Soldier, but a good refresher on the universe so far.
Old 04-05-14, 04:13 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

This was terrific. Just a lot of fun.

I have never been a comic book/graphic novel fan, so all of the MCU is new to me. I love the direction this is taking, and can't wait to see how it changes Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'm guessing S.H.I.E.L.D. will simply become a smaller covert operation dedicated to defeating Hydra.

The pacing of the movie was perfect, the action was not overwhelming and I could actually follow it (thank you Russos for resisting the close-up shaky cam approach). Cap was bad ass, through and through.
Old 04-05-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thinking about it some more, this was a pretty "smart" movie, in a lot of ways. Take the elevator scene...

Spoiler:
..they wanted to capture Cap before he really knew about the Hydra subversion of Shield. In an elevator, he doesn't have room to really use his shield, there's no easy way for him to get out and escape, there's no public spectacle of a massive fight and civilians injured. You covertly put 7 or 8 of your toughest, best special ops guys, with tasers and special handcuffs in the elevator where they can quickly overpower him and subdue him.....that was actually a pretty good plan....on paper.
Old 04-05-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Thinking about it some more, this was a pretty "smart" movie, in a lot of ways. Take the elevator scene...

Spoiler:
..they wanted to capture Cap before he really knew about the Hydra subversion of Shield. In an elevator, he doesn't have room to really use his shield, there's no easy way for him to get out and escape, there's no public spectacle of a massive fight and civilians injured. You covertly put 7 or 8 of your toughest, best special ops guys, with tasers and special handcuffs in the elevator where they can quickly overpower him and subdue him.....that was actually a pretty good plan....on paper.
That was a terrific scene. Very creative and well-choreographed. Nice to see a different take on what would have otherwise been a standard brawl. The confined space added a ton of tension.
Old 04-05-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
That was a terrific scene. Very creative and well-choreographed. Nice to see a different take on what would have otherwise been a standard brawl. The confined space added a ton of tension.
Yes, and I liked the fact that, unlike some movies where it's edited and written so that the audience can see what's coming, but the characters don't---they had Cap being sharp enough to instantly see what was going down.
Old 04-05-14, 05:43 PM
Banned

Yeah. A lot ingenuity in this flick.

Was kind of sad that that really wasn't Agutter's character doing all that action. I geeked out seeing her kick ass.
Old 04-05-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I really, really liked this. Admittedly I've always been a Cap fan and The Winter Soldier storyline is one of my all time favorites. However this more than lived up to my expectations.

I thought the movie was well paced and I thought that the action scenes were all really well done. I also liked the tone that it maintained throughout. This felt more like a spy story involving a super hero than a super hero movie. I agree that this is Marvel's Dark Knight. On another note, for everyone who complains about the Nolan Batman movies or Man of Steel not being "fun" enough, I look forward to seeing if they complain about this as well.

I liked almost everything except for two parts: The first was Captain America's all blue costume. I understand that it was supposed to be a special ops type costume but I wasn't a fan of changing his look. I also think Emily Van Camp as Sharon Carter was almost completely wasted and seemed to serve no real point.

But overall I loved this movie. I don't rate many movies this highly but it was an easy 5/5 for me.
Old 04-05-14, 05:56 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I really, really liked this. Admittedly I've always been a Cap fan and The Winter Soldier storyline is one of my all time favorites. However this more than lived up to my expectations.

I thought the movie was well paced and I thought that the action scenes were all really well done. I also liked the tone that it maintained throughout. This felt more like a spy story involving a super hero than a super hero movie. I agree that this is Marvel's Dark Knight. On another note, for everyone who complains about the Nolan Batman movies or Man of Steel not being "fun" enough, I look forward to seeing if they complain about this as well.

I liked almost everything except for two parts: The first was Captain America's all blue costume. I understand that it was supposed to be a special ops type costume but I wasn't a fan of changing his look. I also think Emily Van Camp as Sharon Carter was almost completely wasted and seemed to serve no real point.

But overall I loved this movie. I don't rate many movies this highly but it was an easy 5/5 for me.
I think they're just laying groundwork.
Old 04-05-14, 06:15 PM

Captain America 3: Steve goes to Peggy's funeral, sees Sharon/Neighbor and asks why she's there. "Oh, Peggy was my aunt." Even though they'll have to change it to Grandma or something.
Old 04-05-14, 06:22 PM
Banned

I think she's still Sharon's aunt in the 616.

Originally Posted by dex14
I think they're just laying groundwork.
They're most likely doing that. Seems like we're from what saw at the end.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-05-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-05-14, 06:30 PM

I think she's still Sharon's aunt in the 616.
Yeah, but I think there's too much of an age difference for it to be aunt-niece in this case.
Old 04-05-14, 06:37 PM
Banned

I actually thought they did a retcon again on Peggy but no. Still an aunt. Originally she was Sharon's older sister. Then turned into the aunt.

I loved the early visual for Crossbones. The crossed straps. Will love his continuation after he went through. I was happy that he had the upper hand on Wilson.
Old 04-05-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. This is probably the best movie of the bunch next to Avengers. While not as fun as the first Iron Man, it definitely works well as a regular political type thriller. Kind of a Tom Clancy story with superheroes. I wonder if Zola might be the "clairvoyant" on the Agents of Shield? I haven't seen this past week's ep., so I don't know if that character has been revealed or not, but this movie really does help some recent events in that series make more sense IMO.
While I liked all of it , my favorite moments were Black Widow's
Spoiler:
"Shall we play a game?" line
and
Spoiler:
Nick Fury's tombstone. If they give him a movie, it better be called "Path of the Rightous Man.
I totally geeked out for that one!

While I was skeptical about a Black Widow movie, I think Johannsen could carry it. I hope they do a prequel where we get to see why her ledger is so "red" .
Old 04-05-14, 06:49 PM
Banned

Is SHIELD a good show now?

I don't think we'd need a prequel on her. She was KGB, that's enough for me. I don't mind more backstory on her though.
Old 04-05-14, 06:57 PM

Yes, it's been pretty good since episode 10
Old 04-05-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Is SHIELD a good show now?

I don't think we'd need a prequel on her. She was KGB, that's enough for me. I don't mind more skimpy costumes on her though.
Fixed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.