Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-18-14, 01:49 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

INCREDIBLES 2 is confirmed for launch with Brad Bird! But...

... so is Cars 3

Source: http://www.insidethemagic.net/headli...rame-revealed/

Quote:
Today at the Walt Disney Company’s annual shareholders meeting, Disney CEO Bob Iger ran through their upcoming slate of movies for the next few years. After barreling through live-action films, Iger turned to Pixar making some surprising announcements.

New sequels to “Cars” and “The Incredibles” are in the works at Pixar. No further details were given, other than to say director Brad Bird is back for “The Incredibles 2″ and “Cars 3″ is also in development.

Pixar’s other upcoming films include “Inside Out,” “The Good Dinosaur,” and “Finding Dory.
Also revealed was a timeframe for Star Wars: Episode VII...
But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!
Old 03-18-14, 01:52 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: INCREDIBLES 2 is confirmed for launch with Brad Bird! But...

Not a big fan of the Cars films but they're successful so no surprise there. Glad to finally see a sequel to The Incredibles though!
Old 03-18-14, 01:55 PM   #3

It's kind of funny how things have flip-flopped and Disney's output under the "Disney" name is generally better than what they give us under the "Pixar" name.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 03-18-14, 01:57 PM   #4
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't been that wowed by Pixar's stuff lately, especially all the sequels, so i'm not as excited for Incredibles 2 as I would have been years ago. But Bird back to direct it has me hopeful.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 03-18-14, 01:58 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

You can't deny the billion dollar merchandising that is the Cars-universe for Disney/Pixar... and I actually genuinely liked the first Cars movie. Cars 2 was just disappointing on so many levels. It was the first time Pixar stooped to churning out pure product. I'd rather they just continue those stories as an animated TV show and go back to making more unique, creative works like they were doing with Ratatouille, Up, and WALL-E. People like to knock Brave, but at least they were trying something new and different.

Incredibles 2, though? BRING IT
Old 03-18-14, 01:59 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It's kind of funny how things have flip-flopped and Disney's output under the "Disney" name is generally better than what they give us under the "Pixar" name.
Frozen, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph >>> Cars 2, Brave, Monsters University. Easily.

Pixar really needs to shine up their brand.
Old 03-18-14, 02:02 PM   #7
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't forget disney also has that planes: fire and rescue movie which is basically cars 3 / planes 2 combined.
Old 03-18-14, 02:12 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
You can't deny the billion dollar merchandising that is the Cars-universe for Disney/Pixar... and I actually genuinely liked the first Cars movie. Cars 2 was just disappointing on so many levels. It was the first time Pixar stooped to churning out pure product. I'd rather they just continue those stories as an animated TV show and go back to making more unique, creative works like they were doing with Ratatouille, Up, and WALL-E. People like to knock Brave, but at least they were trying something new and different.

Incredibles 2, though? BRING IT
I agree with all of this. I can't blame them for making another Cars movie, that franchise is a merchandise behemoth!
Old 03-18-14, 02:15 PM   #9
DVD Talk God

Incredibles 2

meh for Cars 3
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 03-18-14, 02:59 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Incredibles 2

meh for Cars 3
Until your son is begging you to see it and buy the shit ton of merch that will come with it. I still don't understand how Radiator Springs Racers is the most popular ride between Disneyland and California Adventures.
Old 03-18-14, 03:00 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Incredibles 2

meh for Cars 3
Until your son is begging you to see it and buy the shit ton of merch that will come with it. I still don't understand how Radiator Springs Racers is the most popular ride between Disneyland and California Adventures.

Although with how frequently that ride breaks down, maybe that's just it. To ride it is a rarity.
Old 03-18-14, 03:07 PM   #12
Banned

I liked Cars 1. It was good. But it was a huge gap lower in quality than what Pixar had given us. I was was excited for cars 2 cuz of Caine but then... So much Mater was shown that it turned me off.

Glad for I2 with Bird though.
Old 03-18-14, 03:07 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

It's a really impressive ride though. The whole Cars Land area is a brilliant piece of theme and design. You really feel like you've just walked onto the Cars set.
Old 03-18-14, 03:09 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
... so is Cars 3

Source: http://www.insidethemagic.net/headli...rame-revealed/

Also revealed was a timeframe for Star Wars: Episode VII...

Cars 3 news was released earlier. BUT INCREDIBLES
Old 03-18-14, 03:10 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

You guys know that Cars 3 is not for us right?

My son had an epic meltdown the other day because his Finn Mcmissle was missing.
Old 03-18-14, 03:14 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
You guys know that Cars 3 is not for us right?
I think the more important issue is that Pixar films used to be for everyone. They never really tried to "slant younger" or pigeonhole themselves into just making "kiddie movies".
Old 03-18-14, 04:30 PM   #17
Time Lord

They also didn't drown us in sequels.
Old 03-18-14, 07:02 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw that "The Incredibles 2" was listed as a future Pixar movie, this was several days before the announcement today. But, I thought it was just a wish until Brad Bird came on board with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films

The Incredibles 2 (Date/Director/Writer/Producer ALL = TBA)
-I wish they would can some of their other movie and jump The Incredibles 2 ahead of them.
Old 03-18-14, 07:15 PM   #19
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I am disheartened by the news of more Pixar sequels, at least we get another go-around with The Incredibles.
Old 03-18-14, 07:18 PM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if Cars 3 will be a more traditional sequel. Pixar was so busy patting themselves on the back for making Cars 2 into something completely different and unexpected, that they forgot to make a movie that anyone older than 8 would enjoy.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 03-18-14, 07:25 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

I've enjoyed both Cars movies, even though I insist the sequel should have been called Mater's Tall Tales: The Movie instead. So I've no issue with a third movie. But I'm most excited about a sequel to The Incredibles.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 03-18-14, 07:33 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now I wonder how many nerds will be pissed that it doesn't start DIRECTLY after the first one ends.
Old 03-18-14, 07:49 PM   #23
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really, really liked The Incredibles when I first saw it in the theater. In the years since then, my appreciation of it has grown so much that I consider it among my top 10 favorite movies of all time, and easily my favorite superhero movie.

While I agree that Pixar has lost a little of its fire the past few years, with Brad Bird attached, I expect the sequel to be great.
Old 03-18-14, 08:35 PM   #24
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sometimes think I'm the only one who likes Cars. The sequel was pretty eh to me though.
Old 03-18-14, 08:39 PM   #25
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wrote my MFA dissertation on The Incredibles. It's one of my favorite films of all time and I'd wager one of the best films ever made. I never thought a sequel would actually come along but I'm all for it, especially with Bird at the helm.

I've seen Cars a few times. More times than I've seen the original Doc Hollywood. Only seen Cars 2 once. I would see Cars 3 once and hope to be pleasantly surprised.