Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Old 03-24-14, 06:19 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: Prometheus 2 (2015, Scott) S: Fassbender, Rapace

After working with Ridley Scott on a new “Blade Runner” movie, veteran scribe Michael Green has been hired to rewrite the untitled “Prometheus” sequel for 20th Century Fox, TheWrap has learned.

Jack Paglen (“Transcendence”) wrote the original draft of the screenplay.

Multiple sources have told TheWrap that the “Untitled Ridley Scott Project” that 20th Century Fox announced it will release in March 2016 is “Prometheus 2,” although the film may not ultimately use that title. An insider told TheWrap that production is scheduled to start this fall, after Scott has delivered his Moses movie “Exodus” to Fox.

“Prometheus” served as an ‘unofficial’ prequel to Scott's seminal 1979 sci-fi movie “Alien,” and the sequel that Green will write aims to be much more “alien-y” and in line with the terrifying tone of past films in the franchise. Additionally, the sequel is expected to feature multiple ‘David’ androids, which means there will be more than one Michael Fassbender on screen at the same time, according to an individual familiar with the project.

20th Century Fox had no comment regarding the film's plot details or title.

“Prometheus” starred Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, a God-fearing archaeologist tasked with finding the Engineers, an alien race that served as the architects of humanity. Fassbender co-starred as an android named David whose remains, by the end of the film, help sole human survivor Shaw launch an Engineer spacecraft bound for their home planet. The last shot featured an alien creature bursting out of an Engineer's chest, and a sequel will likely incorporate that terrifying development.

Green was hired to write “Blade Runner” back in May 2013 and he is currently finishing a polish of the script. While Alcon and Scott Free are keen to start production on that project, the “Prometheus” sequel is in first position for Scott. The sequel has become a priority project at Fox, as the first film grossed more than $400 million worldwide.

Green worked on “Smallville” and “Heroes” before he wrote “Green Lantern” for Warner Bros., which also hired him to pen “The Flash.” He's repped by WME, 3 Arts Entertainment and attorney Patti C. Felker.
http://www.thewrap.com/prometheus-2-...ers-exclusive/
Old 03-24-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

The further away Damon Lindelof is from this project the better.
Old 03-24-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

The last shot featured an alien creature bursting out of an Engineer's chest, and a sequel will likely incorporate that terrifying development.
But, but, but.. they left that world behind.
Old 03-24-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But, but, but.. they left that world behind.
Well, it won't use that part literally unless they want to show you other things we didn't see in the first film - like more of those installations, etc.
Old 03-24-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

There's no reason to follow the Alien. Prometheus was not an Alien sequel or prequel. It was an odd choice. But Prometheus was intended to exist in the same universe. But it was not about the Xenomorphs.

It will (or should) be a sequel about Rapace, Fassbender and pursuing the Engineers discovery. It's sci-fi. The plot can go wherever it wants from there.

I'd be giddy if it follows the Alien-to-Aliens progression and turns into an action movie with Space Marines.
Old 03-24-14, 07:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They could almost have a parallel series of films to go alongside the Aliens. Maybe even have Shaw and Ripley run into one another.
Old 03-24-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we can only go uphill from the first installment. I hope.
Old 03-24-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MoviePage
Well, we can only go uphill from the first installment. I hope.
It was so pretty though....
Old 03-24-14, 11:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know what's worse, the idea that they got the screenwriter from Green Lantern for this, or that he also worked on the new Blade Runner film.
Old 03-25-14, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't know what's worse, the idea that they got the screenwriter from Green Lantern for this, or that he also worked on the new Blade Runner film.
People can change….

Old 03-25-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
Alien vs. Predator
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
Prometheus

What's that saying : Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....
You know what I mean.
Old 03-25-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
Alien vs. Predator
Prometheus

What's that saying : Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....
You know what I mean.

To me it's saying you know how to list the movies in the order which they were released.

I will admit Prometheus wasn't all that, but it was better than the three outings that preceded it IMO.
Old 03-25-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Being better than the AVP films is not a difficult task though.
Old 03-25-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Alien
Aliens
Alien Resurrection
Alien 3
Prometheus
Rubbing alcohol enema
Eating Taco Bell
Sex with Carrot Top
Having my liver pecked out by a crow only to have it regrow and then the process repeats itself

... Several blank lines ...

...Then:
Alien vs. Predator
Old 03-26-14, 05:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

the fact that you placed Alien Resurrection ahead of Alien3 negates your list, your point, and your very existence.
Old 03-26-14, 07:07 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

We enjoyed Prometheus, looking forward to this sequel.
Old 03-26-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Being better than the AVP films is not a difficult task though.

And the fact that Ridley Scott (a man that can't tell the difference between a good & bad script) is teaming up with one of the four writers of The Green Lantern for a re-write is not very comforting.

Originally Posted by TGM
the fact that you placed Alien Resurrection ahead of Alien3 negates your list, your point, and your very existence.

Last edited by inri222; 03-26-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Some days you just want to slap Hollywood execs in the head.

No one wants to see Prometheus 2 any more than we want to see Avatar 2. In other words, yeah, we'll come out to your movie - but if it's a decision over whether to do Blade Runner first or this, by all means give us Blade Runner.

Worse case scenario: Prometheus 2 bombs and then no studio wants to give Ridley money for Blade Runner.
Old 03-26-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Some days you just want to slap Hollywood execs in the head.

No one wants to see Prometheus 2 any more than we want to see Avatar 2. In other words, yeah, we'll come out to your movie - but if it's a decision over whether to do Blade Runner first or this, by all means give us Blade Runner.

Worse case scenario: Prometheus 2 bombs and then no studio wants to give Ridley money for Blade Runner.
Prometheus did $400 million so I think there's an audience that would like to see where it goes since the movie didn't really have an end. And if Blade Runner money is riding on how well it does, I would think Ridley would want to make sure it did well at the BO.
Old 03-26-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

This installment MUST have something that resembles an end. They can't leave it the same way because then , as someone else said, the "Fool me once.." saying comes into play.
Old 03-26-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

After seeing Prometheus I'm not interested in a Blade Runner sequel. Just leave it alone, let Ford be high and happy.
Old 03-26-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

After seeing Prometheus I think a new Blade Runner has the potential to be one of the most visually stunning movies to date. And as long as a competent screenwriter is on board, then I will be too.

If it's "Blade Runner: Origin written by Damon Lindelof" then it can go fuck itself.

This applies to Prometheus as well.
Old 03-26-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I should have noted there is a caveat there ... If you are talking about the theatrical release, then I did actually enjoy Resurrection more. If you are talking about the effort to piece Alien 3 back together the way it was intended, then I will give the edge to 3.

Alien 3, as released in theaters, was a butchered barely decipherable mess. The elements of greatness were there in the movie's undercurrents, but it was fairly obvious something was lacking. The attempt to "recreate" Fincher's film (released on home video) does its best to sew the story back together again, but is lacking because it is a Frankenstein-like effort. It presents a much more coherent story, but just doesn't have the heart it would have if it had been made in one swoop.

Resurrection was a pretty decent movie up until the end. It was a very visually striking picture, it brought interesting new characters to the universe (hell, I'd love to see spinoff movies with the crew of the Betty), and it gave us a plausible explanation as to why the hell Ripley was there (seriously, coincidence only carries you so far). The end however, was pureed shit and (I think) why everybody hates it. But really, a genetically engineered alien-human hybrid looking for its momma was still better than the creatures in Prometheus.
Old 03-26-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the assembly cut of 3 was just as big a mess as the theatrical version, just longer. There's a good film trying to get out of that mess somewhere, but I think that it's buried so deeply that Fincher would have to remake the movie from scratch to get it out.
Old 03-27-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing Prometheus I just wanted to unsee it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.