Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Script, Good Acting, Bad Director?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about this lately - there's a lot of horrible movies out there, but they almost all seem to have bad acting/casting, bad script, bad effects, bad editing or some combination thereof. People then attribute that to the director.

But I'm wondering if anyone has examples of shitty movies that really fall on the shoulders of the director, alone? I realise that it's up to the director to get the performances needed, best special effects for the budget he/she has, etc. Alternatively, can you have a movie with a great script, acting, etc., but directed poorly? Any suggestions/thoughts/examples? I suppose my whole point is: you couldn't replace Uwe Boll with Martin Scorsese and expect it to be much better, could you?
Old 01-30-14, 06:02 AM

Re: Good Script, Good Acting, Bad Director?

A lot of folks will disagree, but I think Alien Resurrection kind of fits. I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet, but it's painfully clear that he didn't know how to direct a movie in English. He didn't understand Whedon's dialogue at all, and it shows.

There were plenty of other problems with the movie (including lots of budgetary cuts that gutted some really cool sequences in the script), but I'm afraid the director was the main one.
Old 01-30-14, 07:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I have nothing concrete to add, but have often thought about this and appreciate the topic.

And I guess I agree with marginal's example. I love parts of Alien Resurrection, the premise and much of the acting and dialogue; but something is missing.
Old 01-30-14, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

With a good script, a good director can produce a masterpiece.
With the same script, a mediocre director can produce a passable film.
But with a bad script even a good director can't possibly make a good film.

- Akira Kurosawa
Old 01-30-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think MAN OF STEEL might be a perfect example of what you're talking about.
Old 01-30-14, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're saying Goyer can write a good script by himself?
Old 01-30-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I have nothing concrete to add, but have often thought about this and appreciate the topic. And I guess I agree with marginal's example. I love parts of Alien Resurrection, the premise and much of the acting and dialogue; but something is missing.
Whedon claims that his script for that was rewritten pretty heavily.
Old 01-30-14, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think MAN OF STEEL might be a perfect example of what you're talking about.
I don't know Man of Steel's script wasn't very good.
Old 01-30-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I don't know Man of Steel's script wasn't very good.
Man of Steel had some interesting elements that could have made an awesome movie. If they had stayed with the loner/roamer Clark Kent who gradually gets pulled into becoming Superman and not worried about recycling Zod, and had a lower key finale/villain where he finally becomes Superman it could have been a great film. Supermans origin story handled this way is MUCH more interesting than most others and could have easily supported an entire film. This is the film that was hinted at in the awesome trailer, but the movie itself was nothing like it.
Old 01-30-14, 12:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by marginal
A lot of folks will disagree, but I think Alien Resurrection kind of fits. I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet, but it's painfully clear that he didn't know how to direct a movie in English. He didn't understand Whedon's dialogue at all, and it shows.

There were plenty of other problems with the movie (including lots of budgetary cuts that gutted some really cool sequences in the script), but I'm afraid the director was the main one.
Joss Whedon wrote Resurrection? huh, did not remember and/or know that.
Old 01-30-14, 12:44 PM

Would the remake of the original Psycho count?
Old 01-30-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A lot of folks will disagree, but I think Alien Resurrection kind of fits.
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Whedon claims that his script for that was rewritten pretty heavily.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=77814

Joss Whedon Reflects On What Went Wrong With ALIEN: RESURRECTION

The Alien franchise hit a real low point with 1997's Alien: Resurrection. What may surprise you is that The Avengers writer and director Joss Whedon had a writing credit on the film.
"There is always going to be a shitty Alien movie out there. A shitty Alien movie with my name on it."

Geek God Joss Whedon has done very little wrong over the course of his remarkable career as a writer and director, but Alien: Resurrection was definitely a hugely disappointing addition to his résumé. In a recent interview with Total Film Magazine, Whedon was asked to share his thoughts on Prometheus and to reflect on his own contribution the franchise. "Yes, I did see Pro-meaningless," he joked. "In all seriousness, Alien: Resurrection was, I thought, the lowest I could ever feel. And then they cancelled Firefly. 'Yup, there you go. That's me feeling even lower.' Let me quote King Lear - 'The worst is not, so long as we can say, "This is the worst.'"

"Casting is storytelling," he added when asked about what his experience working on the Jean-Pierre Jeunet helmed movie taught him. "I wrote two characters for Alien: Resurrection and their arc was that you would not know what way they were going to go. One of them turned out to be insane - and what do they do? They call Brad Dourif. So there is no plot twist. Brad is a very good actor but he has been pigeonholed into these roles. Then they case J.E. Freeman as a thug - and his character was also supposed to be a mystery. So there you go again - the mystery is gone. Those are just a couple of examples because there are thousands of them when it comes to Alien: Resurrection."

As for whether or not how Alien: Resurrection turned out continues to bother him, it turns out that despite the huge level of success he has since achieved, he won't forget it any time soon. "Yeah - you don't ever get over it. When you are making a movie you are making something that is going to last forever, especially now with the internet. So there is always going to be a shitty Alien movie out there. A shitty Alien movie with my name on it." However, he must at least feel a bit better knowing that the terrible Alien vs. Predator movies would eventually prove to be THE perfect example of a bad Alien film. Right? "I actually like the first Alien vs. Predator. I'm a Paul W. S. Anderson fan."
Old 01-30-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by modfather
I've been thinking about this lately - there's a lot of horrible movies out there, but they almost all seem to have bad acting/casting, bad script, bad effects, bad editing or some combination thereof. People then attribute that to the director.

But I'm wondering if anyone has examples of shitty movies that really fall on the shoulders of the director, alone? I realise that it's up to the director to get the performances needed, best special effects for the budget he/she has, etc. Alternatively, can you have a movie with a great script, acting, etc., but directed poorly? Any suggestions/thoughts/examples? I suppose my whole point is: you couldn't replace Uwe Boll with Martin Scorsese and expect it to be much better, could you?
Usually if the script and acting are good, the director isn't terrible since part of the acting falls on them. But then you have directors like Tom Hooper, who has solid scripts, excellent acting, but tries so hard to be modern in traditional pieces he actually winds up being the weakest link (both The Kings Speech and Les Mis fall to this).
Old 01-30-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

But I'm wondering if anyone has examples of shitty movies that really fall on the shoulders of the director, alone?
It's hard to say that there's anything that's solely the fault of the director, since there's literally nothing on screen that's the sole domain of the director. The director doesn't actually do anything as a scene is being shot, normally, aside from calling action and cut. What he does, as per his job title, is direct everyone else on how to to their job, and give final approval.

The difference would be if the director is performing multiple roles. For example, if it's a writer/director, then any problems with the script would be solely their fault. If the director also edited the film, then editing issues are solely their fault. But the director is largely working in collaboration with everyone else, which makes it hard to pin responsibility for one particually bad aspect solely on them, except that they typically have final approval on everything unless overruled by a producer.

Alternatively, can you have a movie with a great script, acting, etc., but directed poorly?
If a director has picked a good script, hired a good cast and crew, then his work is already half done before it's even started filming.

I think George Lucas on the first Star Wars film is an example of this. There's a number of accounts of him being a poor director/communicator on the film, at least where actors are involved. A good number of the crew thought'd it'd be a dud, and it was really saved in post production with the editing and SFX work. Of course, Lucas at least had the foresight to see that the first edit was a disaster and fire the editor and re-edit the film, as well as re-doing a lot of the SFX when the original stuff wasn't working.

I suppose my whole point is: you couldn't replace Uwe Boll with Martin Scorsese and expect it to be much better, could you?
Isn't Jaws considered an example of what many considered to be a B-movie script elevated by the director Spielberg into something more?
Old 01-30-14, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Isn't Jaws considered an example of what many considered to be a B-movie script elevated by the director Spielberg into something more?
I would think they meant at the time a B-type movie rather than a script. The script for Jaws is pretty stellar. And I miss that Spielberg too
Old 01-30-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_director

Film Director

A film director is a person who directs the making of a film. Generally, a film director controls a film's artistic and dramatic aspects, and visualizes the script while guiding the technical crew and actors in the fulfillment of that vision.

Film directors create an overall vision through which a film eventually becomes realized. Realizing this vision includes overseeing the artistic and technical elements of film production, as well as directing the shooting timetable and meeting deadlines. This entails organizing the film crew in such a way as to achieve his or her vision of the film. This requires skills of group leadership, as well as the ability to maintain a singular focus even in the stressful environment of a film set. Moreover it is necessary to have an artistic eye to frame shots and to give precise feedback to cast and crew, thus, excellent communication skills are a must. Since the film director depends on the successful cooperation of many different creative individuals with possibly strongly contradicting artistic ideals and visions, he or she also needs to possess conflict resolution skills in order to mediate whenever necessary. Thus the director ensures that all individuals involved in the film production are working towards an identical vision for the completed film. The set of varying challenges he or she has to tackle has been described as "a multi-dimensional jigsaw puzzle with egos and weather thrown in for good measure". It adds to the pressure that the success of a film can influence when and how they will work again. Omnipresent are the boundaries of the films budget. Additionally, the director may also have to ensure an intended age rating. Theoretically the sole superior of a director is the studio that is financing the film, however a poor working relationship between a film director and an actor could possibly result in the director being replaced if the actor is a major film star. Even so, it is arguable that the director spends more time on a project than anyone else, considering that the director is one of the few positions that requires intimate involvement during every stage of film production. Thus, the position of film director is widely considered to be a highly stressful and demanding one. It has been said that "20-hour days are not unusual".
Old 01-30-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Any Bourne film directed by Paul Greengrass.
Old 01-30-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lincoln (2012)

It basically just showcased how shmaltzed, overcooked, stale the direction is. Basically any scene where people are looking on with doey eyes, any scene where Lincoln is speaking and everyone is looking at him quietly like this is theater class (except the wood carving scene), the big argument scene (complete with thunderbolts) between Lincoln and Mary felt more like "ok guys, this is supposed to be the DRAMATIC argument scene, so just be dramatic" (except the scene arguing about his son being conscripted in the streets.) I really wish that Oliver Stone would have done this. His matter-of-fact no nonsense approach would have ironically made the movie feel more real, and fresh, instead of the weird mythologizing we got. They go to the trouble to give the most true physical appearance of Lincoln, but of course still devolve to unrealism.

Last edited by duff beer; 01-30-14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I would think they meant at the time a B-type movie rather than a script. The script for Jaws is pretty stellar. And I miss that Spielberg too
The script is stellar, but much of what was used for the final film was scripted on the fly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_(film)#Writing
While the deal was initially for a "one-week dialogue polish", Gottlieb eventually became the primary screenwriter, rewriting the entire script during a nine-week period of principal photography. The script for each scene was typically finished the night before it was shot, after Gottlieb had dinner with Spielberg and members of the cast and crew to decide what would go into the film.
Peter Benchley had the right to write the first draft of the screenplay, but Spielberg ultimately wasn't happy with any of the 3 drafts Benchley turned in.
Old 01-30-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't most of Whedon's dialogue stay in the final cut of Alien Resurrection? just not in the way he imagined or envisioned it
Old 01-30-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Every time a Whedon line stinks, it's the director's fault, right? "Toad struck by lightning..."
Old 01-30-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seem to recall Josh Whedon saying this.
Old 01-30-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like Oliver Stone, but I would've liked to have seen Quentin's Natural Born Killers. I didn't like Stone's.

Charlton Heston has said he thought El Cid would have been much better with William Wyler at the helm.
Old 01-30-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Didn't most of Whedon's dialogue stay in the final cut of Alien Resurrection? just not in the way he imagined or envisioned it
Whedon's has had some choice words about the directing done on Alien Resurrection over the years:
http://www.avclub.com/article/joss-whedon-13730
The worst thing about these things is that, when the actors say it wrong, it makes the writer look stupid. People assume that the line... I listened to half the dialogue in Alien 4, and I'm like, "That's idiotic," because of the way it was said. And nobody knows that. Nobody ever gets that. They say, "That was a stupid script," which is the worst pain in the world. I have a great long boring story about that, but I can tell you the very short version. In Alien 4, the director changed something so that it didn't make any sense. He wanted someone to go and get a gun and get killed by the alien, so I wrote that in and tried to make it work, but he directed it in a way that it made no sense whatsoever. And I was sitting there in the editing room, trying to come up with looplines to explain what's going on, to make the scene make sense, and I asked the director, "Can you just explain to me why he's doing this? Why is he going for this gun?" And the editor, who was French, turned to me and said, with a little leer on his face, [adopts gravelly, smarmy, French-accented voice] "Because eet's een the screept." And I actually went and dented the bathroom stall with my puddly little fist. I have never been angrier. But it's the classic, "When something goes wrong, you assume the writer's a dork." And that's painful.
http://www.avclub.com/article/joss-w...xclusive-13729
JW: I only went to the set [of Alien Resurrection] once or twice... and I went after the première of Buffy [the series]. And the producer guy they had saw me, and said, "Hey, I went to the première of your show, and it was so weird. I said, ‘Hey, they're playing it the way he writes it!'" I was like, "And what are they doing here?" That was my first sign that there might be trouble. I literally didn't see any of it again until I saw the director's cut, during which I actually cried.

O: Just over what they'd done to your script?

JW: It was a single manly tear rolling down my cheek. About an hour into the movie, I just started to cry. I said, "I can't believe this." I was heartbroken.
Old 01-30-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

^ Those comments from Whedon were meant to be tongue-in-cheek, right? Because taken as written he sounds like a whiny bitch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.