Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: Civil War (2016) (D: The Russo Bros) - News, Rumors, Cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Captain America: Civil War (2016) (D: The Russo Bros) - News, Rumors, Cast

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Captain America 3: Civil War (2016) (D: The Russo Bros) - News, Rumors, Cast

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
A Civil War can happen. Just not anytime soon cuz well... History.

That and how far do you make whatever opposite side the side the audience does or doesn't like? It's a dangerous thing to do for a film franchise. Comics have it safer.
Not anytime soon because they have other plans
Old 09-10-14, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Captain America 3: Civil War (2016) (D: The Russo Bros) - News, Rumors, Cast

Originally Posted by taffer
I still don't understand what you really mean by that. Movies and comics are completely different. Comics can have 30 years of history. A movie franchise is never going to have to that luxury.

The MCU is doing the Infinity Gauntlet without an abundance of history. Likewise with the Winter Soldier.
I am not sure how bring up the aspect of the narrative history can be confusing. Think about it. 40 years of comics but how much is that in comic time? Not so much. The characters themselves haven't lived 40 years as heroes, well not all of them. Even with that though, we've seen the heroes fail and succeed. We've seen the repeated negatives of them. But the good far outweighs the bad. That's just in plain view. In a personal situation for some characters, we've seen how their secrets are the deepest of things for them to care for. The fear of going public. What can cross a character's line of ethics? How far does one go to stop an event, like the event that started the CW, from happening again? Etc etc. Whether you recognized it or not but CW used A LOT of the character's person into being their motivation to see where they stood and to see what they'd be willing to do to uphold their truths? Again...CW wasn't perfect but it had some really interesting moments.

You don't need all these characters motivations, characteristics, etc for the IG. The point leading up to the IG are the stones themselves and how they've been used in the narrative. That's easy but also kind of long to plant it in.

WS just needed Cap 1. And Cap 1 didn't do much for the WS character either cuz well...he wasn't all that great in it. We care about WS, if one can do that, cuz Cap feels for him.

Marvel's Civil War at its core is one event shaking everything up to the point where the culture that nourished it, if one can call it that, is now under pressure to assign responsibility. Politically it is where and how the government should have its hand in things, common argument there. But also very powerful element at its simplest. Personally... I think Cap's side was a little too well lit in a positive light. More than IM's. His side did have a point though. They're both right and wrong. We've seen it before.

But again... how far do you polarize an audience into hating or disagreeing with a hero they cared for? That's the bitch for translating it into film, very dangerous. Moreso than the history of that universe.
Old 09-10-14, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

It would be kind of cool if they could work out a deal with Fox (and maybe Sony) and do a big Civil War crossover involving the X-Men, FF, and Spider-Man.

Maybe by that time Fox will have gotten the FF right. Third time's the charm, they say...
Old 09-10-14, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you need to hate one side in the Civil War?

It's similar to the mutant issue with the X-Men. You have Xavier's side and Magneto's side. You aren't intended to hate Magneto. He does have some valid points. He isn't a purely evil villain.

The same could be true with superhero registration issues in Civil War. There doesn't have to be one definitive "good" side and one definitive "evil" side.
Old 09-10-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's similar to the mutant issue with the X-Men. You have Xavier's side and Magneto's side. You aren't intended to hate Magneto. He does have some valid points. He isn't a purely evil villain.

The same could be true with superhero registration issues in Civil War. There doesn't have to be one definitive "good" side and one definitive "evil" side.
Plus it would be great marketing, since you can sell shirts supporting Iron Man or Cap. Kind of like Team Edward vs Team Jacob. Not that I watched Twilight or anything...
Old 09-11-14, 11:40 AM
Banned

It's not really hate, I use it but very generally and broadly.

CW has you choose a side, not really cuz it's still very much siding with Cap but you get my drift. Both sides are right and both sides are possibly wrong. In doing this for film you've not much time to not like your hero. Unless Tony is written to the point where we just think he's a dumb fuck for Ultron and a danger now for the audience to just hate on him... we can't have a point yet where we have something like CW. It'd be like an immediate change. CW had the advantage of history with that...the registration made sense. We'd seen it try to apply to Mutants and it never really worked as we've seen . Now this one was bigger and less specific of group but still the same. Difference being...it's not of who they may be but more to what they should be held accountable for. Tony going pro registation made sense. It wasn't against his character. Pym, Richards, and etc. A lot of them made sense to go that way. Same goes for the Anti side too. The thing that is easy for comics is that...whatever the quality or impact of an arc like that is that... the comics keep going and there are many of them to go. Movie franchises are much isolated, too much so to just go all CW for now. I think it could be done in like 5-8 years. We need more time with our heroes to get to that point with them to go that far.

The X-Men thing doesn't really count. You've close to nothing to hold onto with the Brotherhood side of things. Just Magneto. The Xavier side is the one you give a damn about cuz that's the way they make them. Would be pretty cool to see a group of baddies to actually give a fuck about in the X films. Fox hasn't done well with that for me. I really just care for Erik.

On the marketing side though....Civil War would be awesome! $$$$$$$
Old 09-12-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to admit I'm super excited for this one.

Captain America 3 will start filming in Atlanta next spring.

The sequel to Captain America 2 and a continuation of the storyline from Avengers: Age of Ultron will begin filming in and around Atlanta, Georgia in April 2015, revealed Collider recently.

The first Captain America film was shot in the United Kingdom, New York, and Los Angeles while the second was mostly filmed in Ohio and LA.

Captain America 3 is set to hit theaters on , 2016.

Co-director Anthony Russo said that there will be additional locations for Captain America 3.

“It’s not an all-Atlanta shoot, it’s a lot of stage work in Atlanta. There’s other locations that are also involved that I don’t think we can get into,” he said.

Anthony and co-director Joe Russo have been revealing new details about the upcoming addition to the Marvel universe.

They fielded a question about Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) possibly being in Captain America 3.

“I was gonna say Renner might be misremembering because he was supposed to be in Cap 2 but we couldn’t make his schedule work [laughs]. Maybe that’s what he’s talking about. It’s certainly difficult. Everyone involved in these films are all movie stars, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that they’re in Marvel movies, so all of their schedules are booked up. It does become very complicated,” Joe said.

“There were iterations of Cap 2 that had Hawkeye and Widow in it, there was an iteration that had just Widow in it and there was an iteration that had nobody in it. You explore all of those iterations until you settle on what you think is the most potent or most powerful. And sometimes scheduling issues assist in that decision making process.”

Joe also revealed that a large part of Captain America 3 will revolve around the Winter Soldier.

“What’s left to explore obviously is the personality of the character, much the way that Brubaker’s run did after Winter Solider regained a semblance of his past. Philosophical questions that we would want to deal with in Cap 2 would be, you know, is he redeemable? Is he the worst assassin we’ve ever seen or is he the longest suffering POW? Where does he live now? Does he ever regain his memories?”

Joe teased to Crave Online about the plot centering around a big idea.

“The big thing we knew we had to deal with in Cap 2 was the fall of Hydra. Similarly there is a very, very big idea at the center of Cap 3,” he said.

“But how we get there is all up to us. And I think why Marvel has been so successful is because it’s been such a clear plan, that everything is interconnected and they’re building emotional capital with each movie that you can then trade off of in the next film.”

Asked about the villain, the main cast members, and other parts of the major plan, Joe added:

“All that stuff is open for interpretation. Usually it’s just one big idea that alters the universe as a whole in some way, that has interconnectedness that he’s grabbed on to. That’s the case with Cap 3, but as far as villain and story arc and tone, all that stuff is left up to us.”

And the Russos said that they’ve been working with Marvel president Kevin Feige on the title for about a decade, and they will reveal the title soon publicly.
Old 09-23-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter
“I’m not scratching or clawing to do a solo movie by any means"
Jeremy Renner

The possibility that Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye will show up in Marvel Studios’ third Captain America movie has been floating around for some time, and in a new interview, the actor apparently confirmed it — and also backed away from the idea of the Avengers’ favorite archer getting his own solo movie.

Talking to MTV News, Renner said “I’m happy to be the ensemble,” when asked about the possibility of a Hawkeye spotlight. “I’m not scratching or clawing to do a solo movie by any means.” (Of course, part of that may be down to the actor’s particularly franchise-filled schedule; in addition to his Marvel duties, he’ll also be seen in the next Bourne movie as well as the next Mission: Impossible installment.)

Instead of being the type of character who could carry a solo movie, Renner said that he sees Hawkeye as “a utility guy that can bounce around into other people’s universes a little bit, especially like Cap 3.”

This isn’t the first time that Renner has suggested that he’ll appear in the third Captain America movie. Last month, he said that there were “rumblings” of it happening, although he suggested that he didn’t know anything more beyond that. Since then, Anthony Russo, who will co-direct the movie with brother Joe, has said that fans will “freak out” when they hear about who’ll be in the movie.

The as-yet untitled Cap 3 would mark Hawkeye’s first appearance in the series, although that wasn’t originally going to be the case; at one point, the character was going to play a small part in this year’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier, playing off SHIELD and Hydra against each other. According to Joe Russo, the scene was dropped in an attempt to streamline the movie. We’ll find out whether history repeats itself when Captain America 3 is released in May 2016.
Old 09-23-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Captain America 3 could guest star Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch as a homage to the Avengers Mark II team from the comics.
Old 09-23-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry that this is a little OT to CA3, but since the subject came up...

I've never read either Civil War or Infinity Gauntlet. I have friends and co-workers that are jazzed about the movies pointing in the direction of the later. But from the cursory outlines I've read for both, I have a hard time seeing IG making for a satisfying movie. It ends with a monumental Deus Ex Machina that resets everything and basically voids all the dramatic twists and turns.
Civil War sounds like it has a lot more to work with, and more importantly can be embellished in further films down the line (and not specifically Avengers installments), and then eventually a pre-CW status quo can be reclaimed more organically.
It also seems like it would be more of a natural outgrowth of the events of both CA:TWS and A:AoU.
Old 09-24-14, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I suspect that the Infinity Gauntlet presented in (presumably) phase III/Avengers 3 would only be loosely based on the story from the comics.

I'm not sure how well Civil War would work int the MCU since it doesn't have a lot of characters; the premise of Civil War hangs on there being hundreds (thousands?) of superhero and supervillain characters operating. The comic books had nearly five decades worth of characters and history to build from; the movies don't have anywhere near that scope -- it would just sort of be Captain America vs Iron Man.

And even then, I don't think the Tony Stark of the MCU would side with the government since it is well established that he doesn't particularly like or trust the government.
Old 09-24-14, 11:09 AM
Banned

Yeah. CW won't happen anytime soon. The infinity Gauntlet is coming though. What is that arc in a nutshell? Thanos gets all the Gems (Stones in the MCU), heroes try to stop him from destroying stuff, massive action, and the heroes win. They don't have to adapt it literally. What films in the MCU were literal adaptations of the arcs from the comics? Winter Soldier was its own thing but also faithful to the source.

Now in the comics, it's easy cuz well things never really change. In the MCU? Who knows. Contracts are what they're at right now, new characters are coming in, etc.

The Infinitt Gauntlet will adapt fine to what is needed.
Old 09-24-14, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Still holding out for an Alejandro Jodorowsky Adam Warlock movie to spin-off from Guardians of the Galaxy/Infinity Guantlet...
Old 09-24-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

There is no way the IG saga in the comics will ever be translated even close to faithfully on the big screen (No Galactus, X-men or Spiderman for a start....but it would be cool to see some Celestials turn up for the party), however i think it can have a good version if Marvel keep on with building the universe is such a solid fashion. It would be cool to see Thanos really let loose in the movie, maybe even destroying a planet to demonstrate the power of the Gauntlet (this could be a nice in for a future Kree-Skrull War or maybe even a Skrull Invasion movie).
Old 10-13-14, 08:18 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Robert Downey Jr. to Join ‘Captain America 3′ (EXCLUSIVE)

Robert Downey Jr. is on the verge of signing on to “Captain America 3,” a move that would bring the Civil War storyline from Marvel’s comicbooks to the bigscreen and trigger the start of a new phase of movies from Marvel Studios.

The actor is in final negotiations to play billionaire Tony Stark in the third installment, which is slated to begin production in the Spring for a May 6, 2016 release. Downey is already set to suit up as Iron Man for next year’s “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “The Avengers 3.”

The deal is significant for the Marvel cinematic universe considering the plot will pit Stark against Captain America’s alter-ego Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, as they feud over the Superhero Registration Act, which forces anyone with superhuman abilities to reveal their identities to the U.S. government and agree to act as a police force for the authorities.

Stark supports the program, but Rogers does not, saying it threatens civil liberties, causing sides to be taken and Rogers, among others, to go on the run to avoid arrest. The moral question and battle with his Avengers teammate essentially makes Stark a villain of sorts in “Captain America 3,” providing Downey with a meaty role he could play out into future Marvel films, including a fourth “Avengers.”

Marvel on Monday announced plans to reboot the Civil War comicbook miniseries in 2015, which will help introduce the story to new readers leading up to “Captain America 3.” The first crossover over Marvel’s biggest characters, including Spider-Man, was published in 2006.

But the deal for Downey to return as Iron Man almost didn’t happen.

Originally, Marvel wanted to hire Downey for a small role, which would have required just three weeks of work. But Downey wanted Stark to have a more substantial role in the film’s plot, which would give him more screen time and naturally a bigger payday. This angered Marvel Entertainment chief Ike Perlmutter, who ordered the screenwriters to write Iron Man out of the script entirely, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Even though the deal appeared dead, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige and Downey’s reps at CAA continued talks in hopes of working out their issues. Feige was bent on executing his grand vision for extending the life of the Marvel characters over many years.

The executive needed his boss to see the big picture, considering the introduction of the Civil War story is seen as a way to drive the plots of sequels and new franchises for the next seven years, given the dramatic possibilities it offers for future films. The fallout from the government and Stark’s actions would factor into a new “Avengers 4″ film and beyond that will assemble new characters being introduced like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, among others, in their own movies.

Downey, who earned $50 million for “The Avengers” alone, will collect around $40 million plus backend participation for “Captain America 3,” said sources, and will get an additional payout if “Captain America 3″ outperforms “Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s” $714 million worldwide haul. Since the actor did not appear in the first two “Captain America” films, the thinking is that if the third installment surpasses the last movie, its success could be attributed to Downey.

It’s also worth noting that Evans is clearly a bigger star now, evidenced by the fact that “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” grossed nearly twice as much as “The First Avenger’s”” $371 million in 2011.

Marvel still could have worked around Downey if need be. With the studio having already reworked plots from the comicbooks to fit its bigscreen agenda, it’s certainly feasible that Stark could have been turned into a different character to butt heads with Captain America — the Incredible Hulk’s Bruce Banner, for example. Another option could have been dropping the Civil War plot entirely, which would have required major rewrites.

Downey already has been open about wanting to remain in Marvel’s cinematic universe beyond his current contract that expires after the third “Avengers.” In early September, Downey told Variety in Toronto that currently “there is no plan for a fourth ‘Iron Man.'”

Yet Downey also has been wanting to play a larger role in future films as a way to remain creatively involved and close to his fanbase that would undoubtedly come out to see his non-Marvel movies. However, those fans didn’t show up in droves this past weekend to the actor’s latest picture “The Judge,” which debuted with just $13.3 million.

As for the future of Marvel movies, the Disney-owned studio already has 11 releases dated through 2019, including next summer’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “Ant-Man.”

Anthony and Joe Russo, who directed “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” will return to helm “Captain America 3.” The brothers are working on the script with Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.

While Frank Grillo is expected to return as the villain Crossbones, Anthony Russo told Movies.com last month, “I can’t divulge who is going to be in the film, but I think fans are going to freak out when they hear about it,” clearly hinting at Downey being in the next sequel.

While Downey was instrumental in getting Marvel’s film franchises off the ground with the first “Iron Man” in 2008, the studio has since become a brand strong enough to launch titles that have little built-in audience awareness or major stars doing the heavy lifting — as evidenced by this summer’s mega-hit “Guardians of the Galaxy.” That film earned $687 million worldwide, surpassing “Iron Man 2.”

Marvel has long been known as a tough negotiator — and by some accounts cheap — but the studio hasn’t shied away from giving Downey what he’s asked for in the past. He’s reaped between $250 million and $300 million for the “Iron Man” trilogy, his role in “The Avengers” films, and a brief appearance in “The Incredible Hulk,” according to knowledgeable sources.

Now with “Captain America 3,” it doesn’t look like Downey is ready to hang up Iron Man’s suit anytime soon.

Marvel and CAA declined to comment.
Old 10-13-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Epic. Civil war is going to be a blast
Old 10-13-14, 08:31 PM
Banned

What's the source on that news?

Who said CW is happening? It's not quoted but just stated.
Old 10-13-14, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The Civil War comics were terrible, but I have faith Marvel Studios could totally make it work.
Old 10-13-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Source

Obviously it's not quoted, they're not outing their source.
Old 10-13-14, 08:40 PM
Banned

I'm not sure how well that can work considering we're still young in the MCU in terms of quantity but if that is what they do? We'll see how it goes cuz they've been pretty solid for the most part. They've really got to fix the Thor solo films. Hopefully the 3rd one can live up to the best of the MCU.
Old 10-13-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to say that whatever plot they are going with regarding government oversight started being set up in Iron Man 2, but that Black Widow goes to Congress thing in Winter Soldier sealed the deal. My thoughts:

1. Hopefully they work Iron Man 4 into this new deal for MDJ. Having him in IM3 .... awesome. I want to see the real Mandarin!

2. In this universe, the government already knows the identities to all of the main Avengers so far ... correct? In the comics, Iron Man and Captain America had differing views on registration, yet both characters in this universe seem to stand against blindly following the government. I wonder if this time Captain America sides with it while Stark does the opposite. Stark has been on the outside of Shield as well during Phase 1/2.

3. As I've mentioned before, look at what Marvel is promoting with comics for an idea of what might be coming. They are doing both Civil and Secret War comics again in 2015.

4. I'm going to guess Thanos is the threat that pulls everyone back together.
Old 10-13-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Now all the heated rumors about Marvel and Sony trying to work together makes sense, Spider-Man plays a big part in Civil War.

Gotta wonder how Chris Evans feels about sharing the spotlight with RDJ in his own move.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 10-13-14 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 09:05 PM
Banned

He's probably fine with it. He doesn't have an ego like RDJr.

Not sure the comics' CW could work in the films. I wonder if it is a whole different thing that sets it up?

I do wonder what reaction will come about from Stark after the Avengers 2. It's kind of his fuck up and a big one too.
Old 10-13-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad ass digest has much more info about the MCU, in relation to Avengers 2, avengers 2.5, 3,4 etc: http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/13/r...ain-america-3/

Spoilers abound.
Old 10-13-14, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Now all the heated rumors about Marvel and Sony trying to work together makes sense, Spider-Man plays a big part in Civil War.
Spidey plays a big part in the comic story, but he is hardly essential for the movie. In fact, given that Spider-Man has never even been in the MCU, it would just be shoehorning him into it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.