Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

And The Sheepiest Answer Is.... ACADEMY AWARDS SHEEP GAME

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

And The Sheepiest Answer Is.... ACADEMY AWARDS SHEEP GAME

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: And The Sheepiest Answer Is.... ACADEMY AWARDS SHEEP GAME

Originally Posted by jjcool
Shouldn't I get -56 for Crash?
{sd}s just increase the multiplier: one {sd} doubles, two {sd}s triple. Each one doesn't double the score.
Old 01-31-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
shouldn't i get -56 for crash?
14 + 14 + 14 = 42
Old 01-31-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Interesting to note that across the categories, 5 films got more votes than any other.
They are:

Citizen Kane with 6
The Godfather with 12 votes
Pulp Fiction and Crash tied with 14 votes

And

Casablanca with a whooping 21 votes.

So I guess this game has proven the DVDTalk Community’s favourite movie is Casablanca
Casablanca is my favorite movie but I didn't use it as an answer. I thought about dunking Crash but was afraid it wasn't a universal answer. Not like Chris Rock, anyway.
Old 01-31-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I can't think of any movie that was made better by modern-day bookends, SPR included.
I thought it worked well in Edward Scissorhands. And such a device made The Princess Bride a much better movie.
Old 01-31-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, I'll take 4th for my first time ever playing. Thanks for the game, Crocker. And congratulations Sauce.
Old 01-31-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 01-31-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My problem with some of these is that I couldn't remember which older films had won and which hadn't. For instance, I would have answered Casablanca for the best B&W movie, but I couldn't remember if it had won BP or not. It's funny because although I didn't want to be wrong, the answer I ended up giving (The Grapes of Wrath) was incorrect; it lost to Rebecca.

Likewise with the screenplay question - I couldn't remember if movies such as Citizen Kane or Sunset Boulevard had won (although I knew CK didn't win BP). I'm not sure if I would have picked one of them anyway, since I had a feeling it was better to choose modern answers on the sheep questions. That's why I picked Scorsese over someone like John Ford or Billy Wilder.
Old 01-31-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Drexl
My problem with some of these is that I couldn't remember which older films had won and which hadn't. For instance, I would have answered Casablanca for the best B&W movie, but I couldn't remember if it had won BP or not. It's funny because although I didn't want to be wrong, the answer I ended up giving (The Grapes of Wrath) was incorrect; it lost to Rebecca.

Likewise with the screenplay question - I couldn't remember if movies such as Citizen Kane or Sunset Boulevard had won (although I knew CK didn't win BP). I'm not sure if I would have picked one of them anyway, since I had a feeling it was better to choose modern answers on the sheep questions. That's why I picked Scorsese over someone like John Ford or Billy Wilder.
I was in the same boat. While wrong answers don't matter in Sheep, if everyone *else* knows that Casablanca didn't win, then it wouldn't get a good score. So I went conservative.
Old 01-31-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Even though I have done pretty well, I am going to chalk up my loss as due to the rest of you schmoes not understanding what the word POPULAR means.
Seriously! Christoph Waltz isn't even more popular than George Clooney in Vienna.
Old 01-31-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
{sd}s just increase the multiplier: one {sd} doubles, two {sd}s triple. Each one doesn't double the score.
Gotcha.

14 + 14 + 14 = 42
It's that new fangled math stuff.
Thanks for running the game Crocker.
Old 01-31-14, 04:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats to Crocker Jarmen for running the game, and thanks to sauce07 for winning this thing.
Old 01-31-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
cnicholls bootsy'd the fuck out of that one too.
I am only now able to catch up on this. Just to clarify, when someone bootsy's an answer, they are slamming a unique answer on a reverse. Let's not demean the good name of Bootsy.
Old 01-31-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Thanks to Crocker Jarmen for running the game, and congratulations to sauce07 for winning it.
Old 01-31-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are enough people still angry Pulp Fiction lost the gold?

Spoiler:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9oGkE9rqJFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Forest Gump 0
Orangecrush
I am the only hipster in this group.
Old 01-31-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Crocker Jarmen for a good themed game. Congrats to sauce07.
Old 01-31-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I'm surprised how people interpreted #10:

The Academy sucks ass! Name the worst movie to ever win the award for Best Picture.

While I agree that Pulp Fiction should have won over Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare In Love, and Brokeback Mountain over Crash, I don't think for a moment that FG, SIL, or Crash are bad movies.

From Wikipedia:

At the 25th Academy Awards, The Greatest Show on Earth won Oscars for Best Picture (earning that recognition over films such as High Noon and The Quiet Man and the classic Singin' in the Rain) and for Best Story. It received nominations for Best Director, Best Film Editing, and Best Costume Design, Color. It is the last "Best Picture" winner to date that won less than 3 Academy Awards. It was also the last movie to win Best Picture without winning an Academy Award for both Best Director and "Best Screenplay" (Original or Adapted) until Gladiator in 2001.

Many consider this film among the worst to have ever won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The American film magazine Premiere placed the movie on its list of the 10 worst Oscar winners and the British film magazine Empire rated it #3 on their list of the 10 worst Oscar winners. It has the second lowest spot on Rotten Tomatoes' list of the 81 films to win Best Picture.
Old 01-31-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I am only now able to catch up on this. Just to clarify, when someone bootsy's an answer, they are slamming a unique answer on a reverse. Let's not demean the good name of Bootsy.
Not sure that's correct. Wasn't the original bootsy answer a dunk of Dan Marino for best QB of all time?

Slamming uniques on reverses was, er, you twice in Beatles Sheep. You have of course won a number of these games.
Old 01-31-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

5th place not too shabby for my first time. Thanks for running a fun game, Crocker. Congrats to sauce07 for running away with it.
Old 01-31-14, 05:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

According to IMDB user reviews, the worst movie ever to win Best Picture is Cimarron (1931).
Old 01-31-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Congrats to sauce for the win, and thanks to Crocker for kicking off Sheep 2014!

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I'm surprised how people interpreted #10:

The Academy sucks ass! Name the worst movie to ever win the award for Best Picture.

While I agree that Pulp Fiction should have won over Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare In Love, and Brokeback Mountain over Crash, I don't think for a moment that FG, SIL, or Crash are bad movies.

From Wikipedia:

At the 25th Academy Awards, The Greatest Show on Earth won Oscars for Best Picture (earning that recognition over films such as High Noon and The Quiet Man and the classic Singin' in the Rain) and for Best Story. It received nominations for Best Director, Best Film Editing, and Best Costume Design, Color. It is the last "Best Picture" winner to date that won less than 3 Academy Awards. It was also the last movie to win Best Picture without winning an Academy Award for both Best Director and "Best Screenplay" (Original or Adapted) until Gladiator in 2001.

Many consider this film among the worst to have ever won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The American film magazine Premiere placed the movie on its list of the 10 worst Oscar winners and the British film magazine Empire rated it #3 on their list of the 10 worst Oscar winners. It has the second lowest spot on Rotten Tomatoes' list of the 81 films to win Best Picture.
I definitely interpreted it as undeserving winner rather than flat-out bad film. But seriously, how many people remember The Greatest Show on Earth? I sure don't, nor do I remember that it won. But as I said earlier, I don't consider myself an Oscar historian by any stretch.
Old 01-31-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Man, I feel like Burt Reynolds when he lost to Robin Williams.

Congrats sauce07 - and thanks CJ for a great game (wish we had more questions, but it was fun!)
Old 01-31-14, 05:49 PM

I would have like to seen some david777-type reverse sheep questions where there are a small finite number of correct answers and you never know what the best answer is going to be : things like "Name a Best Actor winner from this century".
Old 01-31-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I definitely interpreted it as undeserving winner rather than flat-out bad film. But seriously, how many people remember The Greatest Show on Earth? I sure don't, nor do I remember that it won. But as I said earlier, I don't consider myself an Oscar historian by any stretch.
This is what I was also thinking. I sure didn't think of this movie at any time. Even if I knew it was held in such low regards by critics, when you play sheep it's about picking what others will pick.
Old 01-31-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Not sure that's correct. Wasn't the original bootsy answer a dunk of Dan Marino for best QB of all time?

Slamming uniques on reverses was, er, you twice in Beatles Sheep. You have of course won a number of these games.
Yeah, that was the Dan Marino in the football sheep game. He complained about that when he basically should have just let it go.

Anyway, a bootsy (to me) is whenever a player uses a dunk on a sheep answer that isn't matched by anyone and nets that player a zero and a wasted dunk.

Congrats to Sauce07 for winning this. And to Crocker Jarmen for running this.
Old 01-31-14, 05:59 PM

I can see why Crash won (one word : Homophobia). I still have no idea why The King's Speech won -- my best guess is deference to all things British. That film was just so unremarkable and unmemorable - it might as well have been a play.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.