Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pan (2015, D: Joe Wright) S: Jackman, Hedlund, Mara, Seyfried

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pan (2015, D: Joe Wright) S: Jackman, Hedlund, Mara, Seyfried

Old 11-25-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pan (2015, Joe Wright) S: Jackman, Hedlund, Mara, Seyfried

Looks like it could be solid. Hopefully it will measure up to Hook for me - a childhood classic.
Old 12-02-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

It certainly looks like a visual treat.
Old 05-19-15, 10:44 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DokV_5oiVwE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 05-19-15, 10:55 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

"From the studio that brought you..." is the new "From executive producer..."
Old 05-19-15, 11:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So according to that trailer they're establishing Hook as a sort of
Spoiler:
Han Solo-meets-Indiana Jones style ally of Peter?
Curious how that will play out.
Old 05-19-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
"From the studio that brought you..." is the new "From executive producer..."
There are exceptions to that (The Disney sub-studios especially: Pixar "From the studio that brought you The Incredibles and Toy Story", Disney (at least for animated) "From the studio that brought you Wreck-it Ralph and Frozen", Marvel "From the studio that brought you The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy", and of course there's always Ghibli "From the studio that brought you Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies", etc; ) since, you know, some studios are fairly consistent regardless of credited directors and writers. Far more so than any "From executive producer..." tag.

It's just when larger, more varied studios like Universal, Warner, Lions Gate, and Sony try to use it that it's laughable.
Old 05-19-15, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a fan of what the trailers show but from all the films I've seen from Joe Wright... he seems to be solid. I've not seen that one w/ Foxx and Downey Jr. though.

So I do want to see it based on Wright's track record w/ me but... not really attracted to the film.
Old 05-19-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Rooney Mara is Tiger Lily?

I thought the 2003 Peter Pan was probably the best film/tv adaptation.
Old 05-19-15, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie
Rooney Mara is Tiger Lily?

I thought the 2003 Peter Pan was probably the best film/tv adaptation.
Agreed. And I've becoming increasingly bored with 'the true beginning of...', which doesn't match the source material at all.
Old 05-20-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Seven%Solution
Agreed. And I've becoming increasingly bored with 'the true beginning of...', which doesn't match the source material at all.
Yeah, that's kind of weird considering there's already an origin story for Peter Pan, Peter Pan In Kensington Gardens.

The art direction looks interesting for this new movie, and I like the casting choice of Hugh Jackman as a pirate. From what I'm seeing of trailer it seems like the studio is going out of their way to make Tiger Lily and her tribe look more like artistic, flamboyant hippies rather than resemble American Indians.

Tiger Lily from Peter Pan 2003:

From Neverland 2011 (SyFy Channel series):

There was a TV mini-series/movie called Neverland, that was also a prequel and "true beginning of..." for Peter Pan. I thought it was pretty good, despite it veering off so far from the source material and almost being it's own thing.

Last edited by brayzie; 05-21-15 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie
Yeah, that's kind of weird considering there's already an origin story for Peter Pan, Peter Pan In Kensington Gardens.
I will gladly concede that Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens isn't necessarily cinematically exciting, but J.M. Barrie managed to create an entire mythology with his characters and stories - but this seems to be more of a quick cash in on Dave Barry's Peter and the Starcatchers, which was subsequently a huge hit on Broadway, and rumored to be headed to the big screen, produced by Disney. It even includes Capt. Blackbeard (Blackstache, actually). I just find it a bit lazy. And considering how exciting and imaginative Joe Wright is as a director, I'd much rather have seen him take on Peter Pan, rather than some sort of quick rush to beat Disney in an 'origin story'.
Old 05-21-15, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will gladly concede that Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens isn't necessarily cinematically exciting,...
I had no idea there was a prequel to Peter Pan in print let alone a play based on it. The only "official" sequel I heard about was Peter Pan In Scarlet.

I read the wikipedia article on Peter and the Starcatchers and it sounds like the producers of this movie Pan are doing just what you say they are doing. Pretty shameless if that's the case.

I think, sometimes, the biggest mistake of these writers are explaining away the mystery of some things. However, the reviews at Amazon for Starcatchers are pretty positive.
Old 05-31-15, 06:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just noticed the release for this has been pushed to early October. Not sure why, since there wasn't any direct competition based on the July 24th release date, with Minions coming out two weeks earlier. Live-action Peter Pan movies haven't done decently since Hook, and October can be good for releasing a film like this that might be lost otherwise during the summer season.
Old 10-07-15, 06:55 AM

This comes out this week.

I don't know... I love Peter Pan... but this doesn't look very good to me. I will most likely see it though due to Joe Wright directing and Hugh Jackman being in it.
Old 10-07-15, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14
This comes out this week.

I don't know... I love Peter Pan... but this doesn't look very good to me. I will most likely see it though due to Joe Wright directing and Hugh Jackman being in it.
same here
Old 10-07-15, 06:58 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Pan (2015, D: Joe Wright) S: Jackman, Hedlund, Mara, Seyfried

My stepdaughter is attending a birthday party where part of it includes all the guests seeing this film. I'm mildly surprised since she is in middle school, so based on this little anecdotal evidence, it might do decently at the box office.
Old 10-07-15, 04:38 PM
Banned

A film so bad that you have to watch it?
Old 10-08-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Currently at 28% on RottenTomatoes

Old 10-28-15, 11:26 AM

Joe Wright‘s “Pan” may lead to a $150 million write-down for Warner Bros. but it could also cost Joe Wright, unfairly or not.

Multiple Hollywood insiders have told TheWrap that earlier this month, while Wright was in Los Angeles to promote “Pan,” he won the job to direct the Julius Caesar movie “Emperor” for Lionsgate and entered into exclusive negotiations with the studio. However, once “Pan” flopped at the box office, the studio abruptly ended talks with Wright.

One veteran dealmaker told TheWrap that a production insider admitted Lionsgate was going “back to the drawing board,” indicating that the studio thought it had found its director in recent weeks.

Lionsgate, for its part, declined to comment for this story, while a representative for Wright deemed it “categorically untrue.” One of the film’s producers acknowledged there was a meeting and several calls but that a deal never closed, suggesting that Wright couldn’t have been “fired” after “Pan” if he was never officially “hired” in the first place.

Either way, the situation is the latest example of how reactive studios have become in today’s hyper-competitive marketplace, where perception plays a vital role in getting a job.

“Pan” may have been panned by critics, but by all accounts, it was an expensive movie that was made by committee at Warner Bros. Wright shares the blame, of course, but it’s not as if he was allowed to do whatever he wanted on such a big-budget studio production.

So why did Lionsgate call off negotiations for “Emperor”? Surely, someone at the studio had seen the garish “Pan” trailer or heard the bad buzz throughout the industry. If Lionsgate didn’t hire Wright off of “Pan,” why did it play such a huge factor in the studio’s decision to back out of discussions with the well-regarded British director?

After all, Wright’s particular skill set didn’t evaporate overnight, and the fact remains that Wright is a talent magnet who has helped his actors score Oscar nominations — including Keira Knightley for “Pride & Prejudice” and Saoirse Ronan for “Atonement.” He’s far better suited to a bold historical epic such as “Emperor” than a misconceived children’s movie.

The bigger the budget, the more is at stake — not just for the studios footing the bill, but also for the filmmaker whose career is on the line. While Warner Bros. will make more risky big-budget movies after “Pan,” it can be harder for a director like Wright to recover.

That said, there’s little doubt that he will — it just won’t be with “Emperor,” which is envisioned as a potential franchise starter by Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment.
http://www.thewrap.com/joe-wright-pa...sar-lionsgate/
Old 10-28-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Whoever thought that what cinema goers were clamoring for was a new take on the Peter Pan story needed firing, never to be employed in the movie business again. I just don't get why they feel the need to keep trying to re-imagine these same handful of characters time after time. Its lazy and a lot cheaper than having to come up with a new idea, but its such a high risk of failure with retreading old ground so often.
Old 10-28-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by james2025a
Whoever thought that what cinema goers were clamoring for was a new take on the Peter Pan story needed firing, never to be employed in the movie business again. I just don't get why they feel the need to keep trying to re-imagine these same handful of characters time after time. Its lazy and a lot cheaper than having to come up with a new idea, but its such a high risk of failure with retreading old ground so often.
I don't know, the 2003 version was great.
Old 10-28-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a reason Hollywood is losing money hand over fist. They have run out of ideas, all while they want to add award shows that state how awesome they are. I'm an admitted movie lover but go to the theaters a couple times a year and then rent the rest for free from redbox with a code. There is less than a half dozen movies worth watching all year.
Old 10-30-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whoever thought that what cinema goers were clamoring for was a new take on the Peter Pan story needed firing, never to be employed in the movie business again.
Originally Posted by Barth
There's a reason Hollywood is losing money hand over fist. They have run out of ideas...
I can see why the studio wanted to make this film considering this might be...

some sort of quick rush to beat Disney in an 'origin story'.
I wouldn't think that a prequel book to Barrie's classic would be successful either but apparently Peter and the Starcatchers is a best seller. So I can see why a studio might think a film adaptation would work. I'm surprised that people were interested in a Jurassic Park 4. So that shows you the public wants reheated ideas just as much as they want fresh ones.

I don't necessarily mind new twists on old material. Alan Moore has had a successful career doing that. Penny Dreadful is a new spin on old material, and I think that's a great show. Anyone read the book Peter and the Starcacthers or have an opinion of it?
Old 10-30-15, 02:58 PM
Banned

Never even heard of it.
Old 11-02-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.