Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Legend of Tarzan (2016, D: Yates) S: Skarsgard, Robbie, Waltz, Jackson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Legend of Tarzan (2016, D: Yates) S: Skarsgard, Robbie, Waltz, Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Tarzan reboot (2015, D: Yates) S: Skarsgard, Robbie, Waltz, Jackson

Hey Roc, that sounds like something I'd watch!
Old 09-07-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Hey Roc, that sounds like something I'd watch!
Anyone have Pete Holmes' number? I think I have an idea for his next series of youtube videos.
Old 09-07-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Tarzan reboot @ Warner 2015 (D: Yates; S: Skarsgard, Robbie, Waltz, Jackson)

Originally Posted by RocShemp
In the books, Tarzan was the ultimate male. He is a savage but hyper intelligent so he taught himself to read while at the same time he learned to speak to the apes (who named him Tarzan) and he's very strong and agile. He's basically Batman of the jungle. Or the Phantom sans the purple costume fetish.
Director: Jack Snyder

A dark Tarzan. Gone are the soiled yellowish diapers. He now wears black leather underwear. Cheeta Tarzan's sidekick; wears a mask. Gone is the Tarzan yodel. Instead he uses a big flashlight he found from some hunters to signal he's around in the dark forest.
Old 09-07-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Tarzan reboot @ Warner 2015 (D: Yates; S: Skarsgard, Robbie, Waltz, Jackson)

Originally Posted by antspawn
Director: Jack Snyder

A dark Tarzan. Gone are the soiled yellowish diapers. He now wears black leather underwear. Cheeta Tarzan's sidekick; wears a mask. Gone is the Tarzan yodel. Instead he uses a big flashlight he found from some hunters to signal he's around in the dark forest.
Cheeta and the yodel were inventions of the movies and were never in the books. The books are actually rather dark, pulp adventure stories. A poster in this thread mentioned Jason Momoa as an ideal Tarzan. That casting would be far closer to the books.

There was a tribe that killed his ape mother and Tarzan began hunting the tribe. They viewed Tarzan as a jungle spirit and would attempt to appease him. Stuff like that is what you'd see if there was ever a Tarzan movie (or series of movies) that were truer to the spirit of the book.

Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes came close but then completely deviated when the white explorers show up. For one, Jane Porter was supposed to be with them (in the movie she meets Tarzan when he goes to England) and she was engaged to Tarzan's cousin.
Old 09-07-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I can hear the trailer now: "In a world where apes can talk, Tarzan learned their language...He's Batman of the jungle!"

Image: Tarzan swings down from a tree and lands in front of the bad guys and says in a low, husky voice: "I'm Tarzan."

Image: Someone hands him a purple spandex costume with a mask and he tosses it aside, saying, "I don't think so," and strips down to his loincloth and the women in the audience squeal.
From the synopsis is appears they are going the Rambo/Taken route

"In a world where man is the deadliest beast in the jungle, they just fucked with the wrong one"

"I ain't scared of no jungle man!"
"You should be"

"What's he gonna do? Throw bananas at us?" Image of Tarzan dropping boa constrictor on guy from tree.

"There is nowhere to run" Image of guy running/falling into pit Tarzan dug that contains lion.

"There is nowhere to hide" Image of guy hiding from Tarzan in cave. As he emerges from cave, Tarzan shoves knife through his skull from above entrance.

TARZAN
Hunting season opens summer 2015
Old 09-07-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have bananas. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career in the jungle. Skills that make me a nightmare for hairless apes like you. If you let my chimpanzee go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will throw feces at you."
Old 09-07-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Just think how much better this movie would do if they let us run the marketing campaign.
Old 09-07-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Starring Jennifer Lawrence as Jane.

"Oh Tarzan you're so big. Put it in my ass!"
Old 09-07-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Just think how much better this movie would do if they let us run the marketing campaign.
Why stop there? We should totally write this movie!
Old 09-07-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Why such an obsession with giving Ms. Lawrence anal?
Old 09-07-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have bananas. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career in the jungle. Skills that make me a nightmare for hairless apes like you. If you let my chimpanzee go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will throw feces at you."
I love the Internet sometimes, I really do.
Old 09-07-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

/thread
Old 09-07-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Why such an obsession with giving Ms. Lawrence anal?
Old 09-08-14, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I disagree on John Carter. It was very well done, the clumsy prologue notwithstanding. The problem was that it was poorly marketed.
MY problem with John Carter was the treatment of the character. They turned Carter into a reluctant hero and, if there is anything Carter isn't in the books, it's reluctant.
Old 09-08-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the problem with it was how jumbled it was. I read the first book, and I can only assume they out in more stuff from future installments, because I needed cliff notes and crib sheet to keep track of the factions, special powers, and everything else. And the ending seems torn between wanting a sequel and wanting to close things up. I to some extent understand that; the book was originally published as a serial, and the structure was such that it really wasn't very linear. But the movie wound up with the same problem in a different way, shooting off in way too many directions and becoming a jumbled mess.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-09-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-09-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had an easy time following it all despite only vague memories of the books. My issue was that the journey would have been better had the audience first witnessed Mars at the same time as John.
Old 09-11-14, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, they can go ahead and burn all the footage they've shot so far and start from scratch, because I just found the movie they should have been making all along:

This apparently came out in 1997, and yet I'm just now discovering it.

There's also a comic which apparently attempts to turn Tarzan into Turok:

Fuck the new movie, I've got some ridiculous comics to check out.
Old 09-11-14, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. I'd rather read those comics than see whatever silly movie they wind up with.
Old 09-11-14, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good ol' Dark Horse during the 90's. They always knew how to milk a franchise and still keep it fun.
Old 10-14-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Warner Bros. Faces 'Tarzan' Trouble as Director Is Double-Booked
by Kim Masters
10/14/2015 8:00am PDT

Still reeling from the epic flop 'Pan,' the studio faces issues with helmer David Yates also focusing on J.K. Rowling's 'Fantastic Beasts' even as the $180 million ape-man saga remains unfinished.

Still tallying its staggering loss on Pan, Warner Bros. is said to be facing an unusual challenge on its next mega-budgeted fantasy reboot: Tarzan. With the film still needing considerable work before its July 1 release date, director David Yates has started shooting his next Warners project, J.K. Rowling's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Warners sources say the move from Tarzan to Beasts always was planned. "While it's somewhat unusual, we are extremely comfortable with the production timelines, which were set in advance, and have total confidence in the skill of David Yates — who is a four-time Harry Potter director — to deliver both of these pictures," says a Warners executive (Yates declined to comment).

But one source involved with the project is concerned that Tarzan, with a budget of around $180 million and packed with visual effects, isn't getting the attention it needs. "The schedule of the J.K. Rowling movie got in the way of an appropriate postproduction schedule on Tarzan," says this person. "Why would you ever crowd a director into starting a movie before his other movie is properly finished?"

Sources say early test screenings of Tarzan, an adventure starring Alexander Skarsgard of HBO's True Blood as the vine-swinger and Margot Robbie as Jane, did not go well. But studio sources say the film is not finished and it's routine for movies to be revised and improved. And a Warners insider notes that both Steven Spielberg and Clint Eastwood have gone into preproduction on projects before their previous film is finished, though none has been as expensive, complicated or challenged as Tarzan appears to be.

Yates began shooting Beasts, starring Eddie Redmayne and a large ensemble cast, in August, and a studio source says he is focused on that film during the week while reviewing edits of Tarzan on weekends. Sources say if that process proves too cumbersome to get the movie ready in time, Warners could push the film off its summer release date. Warners has Guy Ritchie's Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur on July 22 and the DC Comics team-up Suicide Squad on Aug. 5, so its schedule is crowded, and the studio has bumped a July release each of the past two summers, Jupiter Ascending and Pan.

The studio, long the gold standard in Hollywood, is in the midst of a protracted bad run; pricey flops this year include Jupiter, which was relocated to February, and The Man From U.N.C.L.E., which was released in August. Pan, which cost $150 to make and opened to just $15.3 million domestic, could lead to a loss of $130 million to $150 million, say analysts. In that context, especially, the Tarzan situation has raised eyebrows. Veteran producers and executives not involved with the project say they can't remember a studio pulling a director off one unfinished big-budget live-action movie to start another. But Beasts — at least as expensive as Tarzan and probably more so — has to make its own release date in November 2016.

Yates, 51, has been an extremely valuable asset to Warners as the director of four Harry Potter movies that collectively grossed more than $4 billion worldwide. Securing author Rowling's commitment for Beasts was a coup for Warners CEO Kevin Tsujihara in September 2013, just a few months after the executive — who lacked experience in film or television — took over the studio. A trilogy based on the textbook mentioned in the Harry Potter series is dated for 2016, 2018 and 2020.

"Notwithstanding that Tarzan isn't a cheap movie, the [Beasts] series is clearly one of Kevin's three planks in his platform," along with Lego and DC Comics, says a source close to the studio. "At Warner Bros. right now, anything pales in comparison to those three silos."

One insider notes that Tarzan also has suffered the loss of producer Jerry Weintraub, who died unexpectedly July 6: "If there was a strong independent producer on the movie, this could have been managed better." And a high-level executive at another studio expresses doubt about the viability of the Tarzan property and casting a relative unknown, Skarsgard, as the lead, saying, "You shouldn't make that movie without an actor you're dying to see in the part."

Wall Street analyst Harold Vogel says he wouldn't judge any film before its release but has concerns about the Warners slate in general. "The whole strategy over the last two years has been to emulate Disney and Marvel," he says. "It shows a possible exhaustion of ideas." He points to the studio's attempt to invigorate DC, which begins in earnest with Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25), as well as making such fantasy fare as Pan, Tarzan, King Arthur and a live-action Jungle Book set for 2017, more than a year after Disney's Jon Favreau-directed version of the Rudyard Kipling novel opens. Still, Vogel says he doesn't expect the studio's issues to affect Time Warner's stock price at this point.

Richard Greenfield of BTIG also says the critical question for Warners is the execution when it comes to DC. "They have laid out a multiyear strategy pinned to DC Comics spanning movies, TV, video games and [merchandise]," he says. "In turn, the success of Batman v. Superman and [the CBS series] Supergirl are of paramount importance."

Clearly, Warners insiders are hopeful that Batman v. Superman and Beasts will be major triumphs in the months ahead. "When things aren't working, everybody seems stupid," says a studio insider. "And when it works, they all seem like geniuses."
Old 10-14-15, 12:28 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Can't wait until this one flops too. Do we really need a $180mil Tarzan movie?
Old 10-14-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Tarzan reboot (2016, D: Yates) S: Skarsgard, Robbie, Waltz, Jackson

"From the creator of John Carter"...
Old 10-14-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was MGM that succeeded with Tarzan, not WB. Warner should go back to its roots and reboot the franchise that first put the studio on the map 90 years ago:

Old 10-14-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Over a year later and they still haven't finished the movie?
Old 10-14-15, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I'd watch a $180 million Rin Tin Tin movie over Tarzan any day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.