Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The "Perfect" movie ...what's yours?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The "Perfect" movie ...what's yours?

Old 01-17-14, 10:04 PM

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Re: The "Perfect" movie ...what's yours?

I will have to echo Raiders of the Lost Ark. The concepts are great, the pacing works, the mash-up of old school storytelling / new school technique, the plot is engaging, the music is inspiring, the acting is fun, and the chase scenes are excellent. I'm a sucker for a great chase scene. I love, love, love chase scenes. I think Up has a wonderful chase scene and it gives me goosebumps whenever I watch it. If there's one thing that's missing from Raiders, it's emotional investment so in that sense E.T. may edge it out in my book by just a bit. That said, I get ridiculously emotional watching E.T. so I don't watch it nearly as often as Raiders. Maybe once every other year as opposed to 1-2 times per year.
Old 01-17-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lawrence of Arabia. Awe-inspiring spectacle which the age of CG excess hasn't diminished, brilliant performances all around, a rich screenplay with both a strong personal story of a brilliant character study and a grasp of rich politics and grand sweep. It takes you someplace you've never been, with characters as rich as any you'll find in great literature. It's what cinema is all about. Breathtaking. A grand adventure and a great work of art all at once. I'd kill to see it in 70mm. There are a number of other films which come to mind, but that's one that looms for me.
Old 01-17-14, 10:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

L.A. Confidential
The following users liked this post:
leacha (04-03-20)
Old 01-17-14, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Lawrence of Arabia. Awe-inspiring spectacle which the age of CG excess hasn't diminished, brilliant performances all around, a rich screenplay with both a strong personal story of a brilliant character study and a grasp of rich politics and grand sweep. It takes you someplace you've never been, with characters as rich as any you'll find in great literature. It's what cinema is all about. Breathtaking. A grand adventure and a great work of art all at once. I'd kill to see it in 70mm. There are a number of other films which come to mind, but that's one that looms for me.
^^ Sounds a description for Wizard of Oz.
Old 01-17-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Four films came to mind immediately reading the thread title. Two that were already mentioned are: Raiders of the Lost Ark and Lawrence of Arabia.

The other two that I didn't see listed yet are: The Godfather and Seven Samurai.

All those films are technically flawless with wonderful story, editing, and acting.
Old 01-17-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

West Side Story
Old 01-17-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Beverly Hills Cop
Lawrence of Arabia
Sanjuro

Probably a number of others but these three for sure.
Old 01-17-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Almost Famous Untitled Bootleg Cut. Perfect casting. Great dialog. Awesome music and score.

Second Godfather 1 and Pulp Fiction. E.T. is pretty great as well.
Old 01-17-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 01-17-14, 11:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Spirited Away
Old 01-17-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I'm sensing a theme here...
Old 01-17-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Mulholland Drive
I'm assuming you are referring to the theatrical version without the artificially blurred out genitalia
Old 01-18-14, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Three come to mind right away for me:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse
The Godfather
Old 01-18-14, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'd agree with Raiders and The Apartment, but if I never see Gone With The Wind again, it will be too soon.
I love all of them, but in terms of offering the broadest spectrum of cathartic experiences, GWTW is, for me, as bountiful as it's run time. Besides the obvious romance, it's got sarcasm and cynicism in near equal measure, as well as generous dollops of pathos and adventure. Not to mention consistently displaying a wry wisdom of human nature.
I've always found it a film that's a five course feast.
It boggles my mind how anyone could walk away from it not being entertained.
Old 01-18-14, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-18-14, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nicely put - pretty much exactly how I feel too. The only thing I'd add is that there are no women in Lawrence, which might count against it from some viewers (certainly my wife is disinclined to watch it because of this).

How about The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Not that well known these days I think, but a wonderful study of one (flawed) man's character and the loves and friendships he makes during his life. Engaging, entertaining and genuinely affecting.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/59370...nel-blimp-the/
Old 01-18-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pulp Fiction
Old 01-18-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Agree on CASABLANCA, but I would add that certain genres lend themselves to "perfect" treatment, like a "perfect" western or a "perfect" samurai film or a "perfect" kung fu film, in which all the genre elements come into play. For the latter, INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN (1978), one of the Five Venoms films, comes to mind.

For non-western fans, SHANE was the perfect western. It delivered all the elements they wanted with the right amount of polish and technical skill and an "A" production all around. There are plenty of other westerns I'd prefer to SHANE, but then I'm a hardcore western fan with specific demands. To me, films like BEND OF THE RIVER, VERA CRUZ, THE SEARCHERS and RIO BRAVO rank among the "perfect" westerns.
Old 01-18-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm assuming you are referring to the theatrical version without the artificially blurred out genitalia
Of course. Though that scene is dark as shit on home video so it doesn't exactly stand out like some intentionally standout censorship:

Old 01-18-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Th Dark Knight, The Thing, The Wolf of a Wall Street.
Old 01-18-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Old 01-18-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

The Karate Kid (1984 version, of course). The cast was just perfect. Macchio - the perfect wimp turned hero, Miyagi - the perfect sensei, William Zabka - the perfect douche villain, Shue - the perfect gf.
Old 01-18-14, 11:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lawrence of Arabia. I'd kill to see it in 70mm. There are a number of other films which come to mind, but that's one that looms for me.
You don't have to kill anyone. Just travel to Texas. (just) Last month in a thread entitled Movies you have to watch at least once a year? trespoochies posted that his was Lawrence in 70mm(!)

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The Paramount Theater in Austin has a summer movie series and Lawrence of Arabia is shown at the end of it, around Labor Day. It's been that way for the past 10 years at least.
It's roughly 1150 miles from Livonia, Michigan to Austin.

I Googled Where can I see Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm? 2014 and found some other screenings of this masterpiece. The Alamo Drafthouse Ritz in Austin showed Lawrence a couple times last week!

The Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood has a 70mm print showing on Friday, January 31.

http://www.americancinemathequecalen...e-of-arabia-12

It's out there. You just have to look ... and travel.
Old 01-18-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-18-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by digidoh
You don't have to kill anyone. Just travel to Texas. (just) Last month in a thread entitled Movies you have to watch at least once a year? trespoochies posted that his was Lawrence in 70mm(!)

It's roughly 1150 miles from Livonia, Michigan to Austin.

I Googled Where can I see Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm? 2014 and found some other screenings of this masterpiece. The Alamo Drafthouse Ritz in Austin showed Lawrence a couple times last week!

The Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood has a 70mm print showing on Friday, January 31.

http://www.americancinemathequecalen...e-of-arabia-12

It's out there. You just have to look ... and travel.
Yeah the AFI Silver in Maryland had it for about a week last Summer. I went twice. Second time I was late, and rested for a bit, but I just had to be in the theater. Then a few months later they had the DCP, which I returned for.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.