Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 10-15-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I truly hope that Marvel has the FF back. They could work wonders with that team in the future. With Galactus and Dr. Doom they have two of the best villains possible to enter into there universe, and thats something they have been sorely low on.
Old 10-15-15, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Marvel has used some cool villains. Unfortunately all focus is mostly on the the heroes that the villains are boring as fuck for the most part. Yellowjacket was possibly the worst one cuz it was just too much bs cliche.
Old 10-15-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Kang!
Old 10-15-15, 12:32 PM
Banned

Kang, Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Uatu(!!!!!), Super Skrull.

Who else of importance would the FF give us? Aside from the FF...

==============

Comicbook.com got world from Fox supposedly....

20th Century Fox has confirmed to ComicBook.com that the film rights to the Fantastic Four remain at the studio, despite rumors to the contrary.

The rumors followed yesterday’s announcement that two X-Men television pilots were being developed for Fox networks as a co-production between Fox Television and Marvel Television. The rumors implied that the Fantastic Four rights were traded to Marvel in exchange for the X-Men’s television rights. The rumor went on to suggest that one of Marvel Studios’ recently announced, but still untitled, 2020 films would be a new Fantastic Four film.

The rumor was flawed to begin with. The X-Men television rights have rested at Fox for years already, so no trade was necessary, and the deal to bring the X-Men to television has been in the works since well before the Fantastic Four’s most recent box office disappointment. Transferring rights would also be a much more involved process than simply “trading” one for another, as rights arrangements such as the Fantastic Four’s usually involve hundreds of legal document pages and a similar number of characters, both formally listed and implied. Finally, Marvel Studios and Marvel Television are two separate entities within the larger Disney Corporation, so it is possible that Marvel Studios had no active involvement in the X-Men television deal.

As of now, Fox still plans to release a sequel to Fantastic Four. See when that movie and other movies are coming out in ComicBook.com's Movie Release Schedule.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-15-15 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fox is not going to make another FF movie. It is just a matter of time until Marvel gets the rights one way or another.
Old 10-16-15, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah let's not forget the denials of Spiderman reverting; the current version of FF hasn't even been released on home video yet!
Old 10-16-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

spider-man didn't revert back. it was an agreement between the two studios. not the same thing.
Old 10-17-15, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
spider-man didn't revert back. it was an agreement between the two studios. not the same thing.
However you want to classify it, it doesn't refute the fact they denied there was an agreement.
Old 10-17-15, 03:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gmanca
However you want to classify it, it doesn't refute the fact they denied there was an agreement.
Wouldn't you deny it till it actually happened?
Old 10-18-15, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Wouldn't you deny it till it actually happened?
Yeah, that's why I'm saying it's not proof that the rumor is false.
Old 10-18-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a Sony like deal happened with Fox. Rights stay with Fox but Marvel gets to use characters related to the FF.
Old 12-29-15, 05:43 PM
Banned

via Comicbook.com:

Live-Action Taskmaster Rights Appear To Have Reverted To Marvel Studios

The live action rights to Marvel Comics villain Taskmaster have reverted back to Marvel Studios, sources tell ComicBook.com
The issue arose recently when Deadpool director Tim Miller made a comment about which other characters he’d like to see Wade Wilson battle on screen. Here’s the quote one more time.

“I’d love to see Deadpool fight Batman - no, I’m just kidding, that’s not even in the Marvel family! I’d love to see Deadpool go up against Taskmaster who’s another Marvel total fuckin’ badass. But if I was to stay inside the Fox family, I would like to see him fight X-23, the female Wolverine. The female clone of Wolverine.”

Heroic Hollywood picked up on how Miller’s statement about staying “inside the Fox family” with X-23 implies that Taskmaster is not a part of that family. It’s an interesting implication because at one point Fox did have the rights to Taskmaster, and tried to develop a live action project for him that never quite got off the ground. As HH pointed out, this would seem to unofficially imply that Taskmaster’s rights are no longer with Fox.

ComicBook.com's sources tell us that this is true, and that the Taskmaster rights reverted to Marvel Studios at the same time as the rights to Daredevil.

We’ve previously speculated that Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Grant Ward may eventually become the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Taskmaster, but recent events in that show seem to suggest that’s not the case. Could he be used a villain for the Defenders on Netflix instead? Seems like it would be a good fit.

Hrmmm. Never really thought about him honestly. Thought he was just already part of Marvel Studios. Apparently, it wasn't for a while. I wonder if Fox lost anything else cuz this was weird one for them to have. He debuted in Avengers but afterwards he's become more of a guy that takes on everyone kind of guy. Though he has a fun association w/ Deadpool too. Weird that Fox had him though.
Old 12-29-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that was unexpected, I wouldn't have guessed his rights had been with Fox either, and I'm glad they've seemingly reverted.

I wish there was a master list somewhere that showed who has what and for how long. What a hassle this has to be for filmmakers too.
Old 12-29-15, 08:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Yeah, that was unexpected, I wouldn't have guessed his rights had been with Fox either, and I'm glad they've seemingly reverted.

I wish there was a master list somewhere that showed who has what and for how long. What a hassle this has to be for filmmakers too.
http://www.thegeektwins.com/2014/02/...l#.VNotobDF-7H
Old 12-29-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a nice start but it's not as comprehensive as what I had in mind. It doesn't cover Taskmaster for example, which was surprisingly over at Fox.
Old 06-03-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Looks like Marvel re-acquired The Submariner rights: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/433...mariner-rights
Old 06-03-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

I listened to that podcast, and got the impression Quesada wasn't entirely sure. Between his sounding uncertain when he answered it and the comics/movies rift, I'm not taking it as gospel. Especially since Namor was with Universal, not Fox or Sony.
Old 06-03-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Looks like Marvel re-acquired The Submariner rights: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/433...mariner-rights
How and when did Universal acquire the rights to Namor? I don't think there's ever been a movie or tv series with the character, and it seems strange that Uni would buy the rights to a character in (apparent) perpuity for a character they didn't have immediate plans to exploit. Unless they got him with the Hulk in the 1970s when they made the tv series.
Old 06-03-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

It looks like it was in the 90s. Comics Alliance has some details:

http://comicsalliance.com/namor-movi...arvel-studios/
Old 06-25-16, 08:33 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

A Silver Sable movie could still happen in the Spider-Man movie universe - which of course is now part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Confused yet? Here goes...

Sony Pictures still has the licences to produce films with Spider-Man... and his related characters, the same characters they had before the rights-sharing deal with Marvel Studios, which puts Spider-Man in the MCU, was struck. Before that deal, Sony Pictures had several spin-offs planned, and one of those featured the female mercenary Silver Sable. On a podcast called Meet the Movie Press, Jeff Sneider said that the project, leaked in the massive breach of Sony emails, is still alive. Screenwriter Abi Morgan (The Iron Lady, Suffragette) is reportedly in talks on the project.

This would be an interesting move for Sony as they hope that Spider-Man: Homecoming will restart their franchise opportunities in the superhero world. Silver Sable, as a spy and mercenary, could fulfill the great desire from fans clamoring for a Black Widow movie. The only issue here is, Silver Sable is an extremely unknown commodity to the general public. She's appeared on a few episodes of various Spider-Man animated series, and in a few video games, but it's safe to say the general public doesn't know who she is.

As for now, Sony Pictures has only officially announced Spider-Man: Homecoming and the Animated Spider-Man film.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/...silver-sable-/
Old 06-25-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a bad thing, but it's funny how it seems like everyone is rushing to make more female led superhero movies.
Old 06-25-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I had to look up who Silver Sable even is. A lot of these obscure characters I've at least heard of but I had no clue who she was.
Old 06-25-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still think Black Widow would make the most sense to lead a female hero movie. Audiences know who she is and what she can do. Played by an A list star.
Old 06-25-16, 01:17 PM
Banned

I never cared for Silver Sable. Always seemed boring to me. She was pushed around a bit in the 1990s. She was alright at best.
Old 06-25-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

If they want to push a female led film out I'd be much more interested in Black Cat.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.