Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Draft Day (2014, Ivan Reitman) S: Costner, Leary, Garner

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Draft Day (2014, Ivan Reitman) S: Costner, Leary, Garner

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Draft Day (2014, Reitman) S: Costner, Leary, Garner

Rented this and enjoyed it. Pretty good acting, nice pacing and good characters. I know the outcome may be unlikely, but the world of back office individuals felt really grounded and developed. Like you were walking into a day in the life.

I'd say a solid B. Could see myself rewatching in a few years on a Sunday.
Old 09-13-14, 11:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

funny this thread was bumped today, I just watched it this morning.

good movie, I really enjoyed it, although the trades are laughable.

6th overall pick for 3 second rounders. mmm, ok. That newbie GM won't be around long (although I could see Belichick doing this).

and the Seahawks trade was just crazy. Ultimately when the smoke cleared, they traded the first overall pick and three additional #1 picks and some special teamer apparently with some value to move down in the draft to get the guy all the other teams thought had no heart. I don't buy it was worth doing to save money towards the cap.

Oh, and I was eagerly awaiting a graphic recap at the end of the movie when it went black, something akin to "And the Cleveland Browns went 4-12 and everyone lost their job."

ps: here is the song they played at the end. Pure Nickleback-lite cheese rock.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FIsomh4L-bo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-13-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I find it funny that this came out only a couple months after Seattle won the Super Bowl yet they had the #1 pick and then add to that, they were keen on drafting a quarterback out of Wisconsin.

Anyway, Seattle is generally known for being good at drafting and other off-season deals, so that alone made me laugh at some of the moves made... Now, if Cleveland was dealing with the Jets, then maybe that'd be more believable.

Oh, and I was eagerly awaiting a graphic recap at the end of the movie when it went black, something akin to "And the Cleveland Browns went 4-12 and everyone lost their job."
Well, given the fantasy elements, they probably either made it to the Super Bowl or lost in the division title game.
Old 09-13-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We really enjoyed it!
Old 09-13-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts

Watched this a week or so ago. I was entertained more than I thought I would be.
Old 09-13-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw it too. I thought it was decent. Nothing that blew my hair back or anything, but I was entertained.
Old 04-24-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Watched this as a free in-flight selection and really enjoyed it, but I love drafting and maneuvering so I was expecting to like it. Yes, some of the moves are ridiculous, but it's just fantasy.

Originally Posted by TGM
and the Seahawks trade was just crazy. Ultimately when the smoke cleared, they traded the first overall pick and three additional #1 picks and some special teamer apparently with some value to move down in the draft to get the guy all the other teams thought had no heart. I don't buy it was worth doing to save money towards the cap.
Wasn't the ultimate difference giving up the special teamer to move down and save money? Seattle started at #1, gave it up for the three picks, then gave back the three picks plus the player for #5 or whatever it was, and still got the player they were planning to take at #1. Severely devalued, of course, but still the potential franchise QB.

I agree that it was amusing that he was from Wisconsin, and I didn't even recognize Tom Welling.

Originally Posted by TGM
I was expecting that too, but I kind of like how they did it instead. Stirred the imagination more.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, if you do buy or rent the blu-ray, watch the 1 hour behind the scenes documentary on the making of this film. Very informative. Not your typical fluff piece. They managed to get a lot of cooperation from the NFL to make this movie happen. They also go into the editing as well. This movie was shot concurrently during the 2013 NFL draft and had to be filmed during off time, which I found really interesting. In addition I didn't even recognize Arian Foster from the Houston Texans as one of the main characters. He shaved his beard and looked really young. Chadwick Boseman from 42 and Get on Up also has a pretty significant supporting role.

I'd give this a solid B+.
Now I want to watch the BD.
Old 04-24-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

What really happened during and after the Browns infamous draft day:

1. The Browns had two first round draft picks.

2. Haslam acting on advice he received from a homeless dude selected JFF with his second first round pick.

3. With Hoyer starting, they actually get off to a decent start.

4. Because of constant badgering from ownership (Hell a homless dude can't be wrong!), Manziel takes over and falls flat on his face.

5. Near the end of the regular season, both of the Browns first round selections are suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.

6. To start off the New year on the right foot, Manziel checks into rehab and his future is looking very dim in Cleveland.

7. Kyle Shanahan their first year offensive coordinator left them for greener pastures or anything just to get the hell out of Cleveland.

8. But not before turning in the G.M for texting plays and little suggestions from the box during live games.

9. Which led to the GM being suspended for five games and just narrowly avoiding losing valuable draft picks (Probably more of mercy deal from the league office).

10. So screw you Kevin Costner for one more of your many dumb-arse movies!
Old 10-17-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Watched this as a free in-flight selection and really enjoyed it, but I love drafting and maneuvering so I was expecting to like it. Yes, some of the moves are ridiculous, but it's just fantasy.
I watched earlier today and that's exactly how I feel about the movie.
Old 07-23-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

As part of their Cleveland Week coverage, The Ringer has broken down and graded every trade made in Draft Day. Yeah of course that trade the Seahawks made to go from 7 to 6 gets an "F".

https://theringer.com/even-in-fiction-the-browns-cant-get-it-right-da822577b30e#.fg0ngtvgk
Old 07-23-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

This one made me chuckle:
NFL: F. He’s a franchise QB falling because his teammates may or may not have been at his birthday party. Just take him.