Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Sony should do the Clone Saga, and then we can have Ben Reilly spinoff movies.

There's also Miles Morales, the Spider-Man from the Ultimate universe, that they could use for a spinoff.

Also, Jessica Drew, aka Spider-Woman.

Spider-Man 2099

Spider-Ham

Sony could do a SMCU (Spider-Man Cinematic Universe).
Old 12-13-13, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate how Marvel has unintentionally made other studios with Comic properties think... more...dangerously. Sony had fucked up SM since SM3. Fox has fucked with the X franchise since X3..but it's getting better..but some rough patches have had to be stepped across as well. *shudder* Fantastic 4...I dunno wtf to say about that. Some good casting, heart in the right place but.. failures. WB well...they don't know wtf to do with DC. Still can't see MoS2 aka "We have Batman in a lead here too, guys": The Movie. Good luck, del Toro. I at least have hope for his JLD.
Old 12-13-13, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Good luck, del Toro. I at least have hope for his JLD.
If that movie ever actually does happen, I bet WB forces Batman into the JLD as well.
Old 12-13-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Topher Grace announced this morning that he's available. I told him to shut the fuck up and just make my Frappuccino.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by taffer
Eddie Brock actually isn't Venom anymore in the comics. Flash Thompson is. Flash as Venom has his own series too, and he is a government agent superhero or something. I'm not too sure because I don't read it.
Yep. Basically, a soldier with Venom's costume.

It is actually one of the better Marvel NOW books. He's also a member of the Thunderbolts.
Old 12-13-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like Venom, but i'm not sure how a movie centered around him will work without it really just being a Spider-Man movie. Not sure how a movie just about the Sinister Six would work either, but it would be fun to see a movie completely about villains doing shitty things with no happy ending.
Old 12-13-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I kind of expect to see in the future:

Spoiler:
Morbius as his name comes up in TASM2.
Old 12-13-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. Venom I can understand. But a sinister six movie? Honestly the only villain team that I could see working as a successful movie is the Suicide Squad. But how on earth do you make a sinister six movie?
Old 12-13-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

If this was from the Disney ran Marvel Studios I'd be kind of excited but still skeptical, the fact it's Sony and the same team behind The Amazing Spider-Man films ugh..no thank you. I don't really see how an all villain movie will work that well. I could see Venom working okay because they could play him off as kind of the antihero like in some of the comics. Not really sure how you do a Sinister Six movie unless Spidey has a large presence.
Old 12-13-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Would it be possible for Disney/Marvel to open the check book and buy back the rights from Sony and Fox? The possibility of Avengers VS X-Men could be worth it.
Old 12-13-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Would it be possible for Disney/Marvel to open the check book and buy back the rights from Sony and Fox? The possibility of Avengers VS X-Men could be worth it.
I'm sure Sony and Fox both have a death grip on the properties they own. It would be awesome but I really can't see either of them giving up the film rights to any of the characters they own. I guess Fox did let Dare Devil get away but the X-Men and Spider-Man properties especially are huge for Fox and Sony respectively. The only thing I could see is if Disney/Marvel worked out some kind of co-licensing agreement with the respective studios for the characters so they both got a chunk of the potential film. Probably won't ever happen though.
Old 12-13-13, 09:43 PM
Banned

Anything's possible, but I would imagine the price that Sony and/or Fox would ask would be so high it just wouldn't be good for Disney to make the deal.
Old 12-13-13, 09:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Sony shocked the comic book world"

That's for damn sure. I know I'll be telling my kids exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that Sony intended to make Venom and Sinister Six movies.
Old 12-13-13, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If I'm Marvel I wouldn't want to do a "deal". I'd hope Sony falls flat and they then decide to sell the rights back. I also think Fox is in a better position with the X-men movies than Sony is with Spider-man.

Here Here though. The Sinister Six might be the only chance I have of getting my favorite SM villain Mysterio in a damn movie already. What am I saying, they'll probably drop him for someone else.
Old 12-13-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The movie rights to Spider-Man alone are worth billions. I don't see Disney ponying up the money, it doesn't make a huge amount of financial sense. People should expect the Fantastic Four/Spider-Man/X-Men properties to never get back with Disney at this point. I'm actually glad that Disney doesn't control Spider-Man, because we don't have to be fed an Ultimate Spider-Man movie from them featuring Nick Fury's teen commandos or whatever.

I think a solo Venom movie could work with the right script. I have no idea how you pull off a Sinister Six movie without Spidey. The only reason people care about that team of villains is to see them lose en masse against Spidey.
Old 12-13-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
If I'm Marvel I wouldn't want to do a "deal". I'd hope Sony falls flat and they then decide to sell the rights back.
I agree, but as long as people keep lining up for fucking Marc Webb Spider-Man movies, that will never happen.
Old 12-14-13, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure Disney gets a nice % of any SpiderMan or X-Men movies either way. To them its free cash.

In a way, I don't want Marvel to get the rights back since that would probably mean yet another retelling of the origin story.
Old 12-14-13, 06:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm actually glad that Disney doesn't control Spider-Man, because we don't have to be fed an Ultimate Spider-Man movie from them featuring Nick Fury's teen commandos or whatever.
Why would you automatically assume Disney would do that? Sure, they did that with the animated Spider-Man series, but that series was intended for a young audience. A Disney Spider-Man movie would be a different situation. It would most likely be incorporated into their MCU.

Originally Posted by resinrats
I'm sure Disney gets a nice % of any SpiderMan or X-Men movies either way. To them its free cash.

In a way, I don't want Marvel to get the rights back since that would probably mean yet another retelling of the origin story.
I'm not sure Disney gets any percentage at all. If I remember right, Marvel sold the rights completely in the 90s because they were almost bankrupt. They were desperate and pretty much had to take any deal given to them to stay in business. So I think they lost the rights completely and don't get a percentage of the movie revenue.

Also, Marvel/Disney wouldn't necessarily retell Spider-Man's origin yet again. When they did the Incredible Hulk movie, they retold Hulk's origin in the first five minutes during the opening vignette and that was it.
Old 12-14-13, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

They get nice change from merchandising.
Old 12-14-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Marvel absoulutely gets royalties from Sony and Fox's movies.
Old 12-14-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was just reading an article the other day that had the actual percentage in it but I can't remember what it was. Marvel gets a nice chunk of change for each movie made by Fox/Sony.
Old 12-14-13, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The movie rights to Spider-Man alone are worth billions. I don't see Disney ponying up the money, it doesn't make a huge amount of financial sense. People should expect the Fantastic Four/Spider-Man/X-Men properties to never get back with Disney at this point. I'm actually glad that Disney doesn't control Spider-Man, because we don't have to be fed an Ultimate Spider-Man movie from them featuring Nick Fury's teen commandos or whatever.

I think a solo Venom movie could work with the right script. I have no idea how you pull off a Sinister Six movie without Spidey. The only reason people care about that team of villains is to see them lose en masse against Spidey.
Actually is that an appeal for fans? To see them lose? My appeal to the S6 was the massive fight coming out of that. Spidey getting his ass kicked? Yeah, that's awesome. Sadly they'd have his mask off instead of just having it conveniently ripped in certain spots for us to tell it is the actor in there.

Hated how he always has the mask off in these films for the most part. LOVED the shredded mask Spidey had in Raimi's first.

As mentioned before it'd be awesome to have Mysterio in here. But... I'm sure they'd fuck up his look too. I LOVE his look but I've always been picky about the stories with him.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-14-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Why would you automatically assume Disney would do that? Sure, they did that with the animated Spider-Man series, but that series was intended for a young audience. A Disney Spider-Man movie would be a different situation. It would most likely be incorporated into their MCU.
I think the current batch of Marvel movies have been vastly overhyped for the most part and I don't trust their cookie-cutter approach. Nick Fury has become the most overexposed character in comic book movies today and I hate that character encroaching on the Spidey-verse.
Old 12-14-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I also think Fox is in a better position with the X-men movies than Sony is with Spider-man.
I'm not sure about that, as mediocre as Amazing Spider-Man was, it still made 100+ million more then X-Men First Class, and more then any other X movie that's been released. The X-Men movies certainly seem more ambitious and interesting though.
Old 02-25-14, 05:30 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

They seem to want to release a Spidey-verse movie every year: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/an...es-1201118909/
Old 02-25-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Woah, they're pinning their hopes on Smurfs, Goosebumps, Pixels, and a Gran Turismo movie? I hope this Spiderman universe goes well for them.

I don't see how you can have a Venom anti-hero movie without having Venom at least show up in the main Spidey movies (this incarnation). You can't make him an anti-hero before he even debuts as a villain, can you? Unless they go full on horror, which would actually be kind of interesting. How much of his supporting cast do they have the rights to?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.